Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Weedle posted:

“No, seriously, it gets good after 20 hours” - XB2 fans

It doesn't take that long to get good. The combat just starts you on a really bad note since there is barely anything proactive you can do and has you running without a full party, which doesn't work very well with the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

antidote posted:

This was my thought. Let us know.

Ran a 3.5mm audio cable from switch headphone port to his computers line in port (the blue one) set windows to "always listen to device" and boom problem solved. Nice clean audio no static no fuss.

Plus it means he can now hear both his pc and switch audio, so he can play zelda whilst sat in pc game lobbies waiting for match start, or hang around with his discord buddies. It's worked out pretty neat :)

Thanks guys :)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I miss my dock. But playing SMO on the go while I’m enjoying a vacation? Perfect.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

PowerBeard posted:

Can report that Heart and Slash is a drat fine Switch game. Frantic Pro-gen Roguelike 3D fun, all while jumping around wearing some rubber duck armour is great, the soundtrack is charming and poppy. I do recommend turning down camera sensitivity thought, cause boy does that camera like to move.

I bought it day one, and I'm not as impressed. Well, to be fair, there's nothing particularly wrong with it, but the combat is not to my liking. Aerial combat is poo poo, like do I really have to jump that much to land just one hit?

But what really annoys me is the fact that the game crashes on me, making me lose all current progress. Sure, I get to keep the unlocks, but still.

I guess the future update might fix things, but I can't really recommend it with my initial impressions.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
My first experience with Stardew is on the Switch. What have I unleashed on my free time.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Andrast posted:

It doesn't take that long to get good. The combat just starts you on a really bad note since there is barely anything proactive you can do and has you running without a full party, which doesn't work very well with the system.

Yeah I'd say that the game does take a few hours to actually open itself up to you, but when you see just how much loving poo poo there is that you gotta know (and a lot you have to figure out on your own) that I am more grateful than not that it chose to introduce those concepts to me as a new player. If there's a NG+ that just let you go hog wild from the start, that'd be the best of both worlds.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Rexroom posted:

I bought it day one, and I'm not as impressed. Well, to be fair, there's nothing particularly wrong with it, but the combat is not to my liking. Aerial combat is poo poo, like do I really have to jump that much to land just one hit?

But what really annoys me is the fact that the game crashes on me, making me lose all current progress. Sure, I get to keep the unlocks, but still.

I guess the future update might fix things, but I can't really recommend it with my initial impressions.

I haven't experienced any crashes yet, but I'll be on the lookout. As for aerial combat, one of the combos allows you to juggle an enemy (including airborne ones) when you perform an up-slash, so you can get a few hits on them from there. I also make sure to run around a lot so they accidentily hit each other with their attacks.

squirt the daisies
Apr 26, 2009

Immortal Wombat? That game is for pantywaists!
Yeey, Santa gave me a Switch and LA Noire. The Switch feels great and i'm over the moon with it :3:
Regarding LA Noire, i love the game but i already played it on PC, so i think i'm going to exchange it (though i kind of fancy the idea of playing it again, more comfortable :) ).
Any cool games on the eshop sale that i should get?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah I'd say that the game does take a few hours to actually open itself up to you, but when you see just how much loving poo poo there is that you gotta know (and a lot you have to figure out on your own) that I am more grateful than not that it chose to introduce those concepts to me as a new player. If there's a NG+ that just let you go hog wild from the start, that'd be the best of both worlds.

NG+ is being patched in next year.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Andrast posted:

It doesn't take that long to get good.

This is a thing that people very often say about Bad Games

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

squirt the daisies posted:

Yeey, Santa gave me a Switch and LA Noire. The Switch feels great and i'm over the moon with it :3:
Regarding LA Noire, i love the game but i already played it on PC, so i think i'm going to exchange it (though i kind of fancy the idea of playing it again, more comfortable :) ).

Rocket League if that is your jam.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bleck posted:

Fortunately Xenoblade 2 is a good game. The combat stumbles a bit at the start but is fine as soon as you get a full party and really good once you get some of the more in-depth mechanics.

This isn't an FF13 situation where it takes loving forever to get going either. It's a few hours in the beginning of a 60+ hour game.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 26, 2017

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Here’s to hoping he 2018 overview direct is sooner rather than later in January
Personally I’m looking forward to probably FE switch news

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bleck posted:

I know and it doesn't apply to xenoblade.

The combat system takes like 6 hours to open up unless you start doing sidequests, which is quicker than Persona 5

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Got a really nice Lamicall Switch Stand from a friend of mine. Ended up playing XB2 on it while watching a nature doc. Everything about it was awesome

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

squirt the daisies posted:

stardew Valley, enter the gungeon, puyo puyo Tetris, blaster master zero, picross s, shovel knight, chef battle brigade, and blossom tales are worth researching. All pretty different games and I’ve enjoyed them all

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Is Dragon Fang Z any good?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sensual Simian posted:

the combat starts getting really engaging after you learn about breaking element orbs after 10-20 hours

I'm pretty sou can do this stuff immediately as long as you know how it works. I think chain attacks are also available before the game teaches you about it. The party gauge is visible (for reviving and w/e) at the very least but I never tried to use a chain attack early on. The combat does feel a bit slow early on but for me it was more due to not knowing it as well as I do now.

Also by the time you get a certain blade for Rex via the plot, you'll have the means of doing full driver combos (break->topple->launch->smash), though you'll need break from someone else (Nia has it via a couple weapon types) and just getting good at doing driver combos will make you murder the hell out of things because the smash at the end of a chain does a ton of damage. You'll also keep extending the duration of any special combo's elements when using these moves and once you can get an overclock bangle for Rex it's possible to keep elements on a target indefinitely, ensuring you always have enough time to get your special charged up on whomever so you can finish those combos for more elemental orbs to use in an eventual chain attack. I still haven't had a fight where I got all 8 orbs on a single target, but when I had 6 orbs on a level 95 enemy my combo did around 4-5 million damage and it'd have done significantly more if Nia's full burst had used a DPS blade and not Dromarch.

I have to imagine that playing XC2 without having the combat system 'click' for you would be hellish though. It also helped that I pulled Zenobia on Rex early on, and Zenobia is literally designed to be a boss/unique enemy destroying DPS superweapon.

Tae posted:

Move the stick slightly after rex's first swing. This cancels the ending lag

Also useful in general for any third swing.

You should be canceling in to driver arts after your third auto attack because of the shitload of special charge it generates. :colbert:

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Am I doing XBC2 combat wrong or does moving at all really cancel your attack sequence and make you restart from hit #1?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
It really does take time to get really engaging, but it's a really long game too. As long as it doesn't change it up on me and throw everything out the window by introducing Skells or whatever I should be okay.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

empathe posted:

Am I doing XBC2 combat wrong or does moving at all really cancel your attack sequence and make you restart from hit #1?

It does, but stutter steps after connecting the first hit are a good method of charging your skills.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

empathe posted:

Move the stick a tiny bit after Rex's first sword strike.

Also heavily recommend beelining through the story until you have three permanent party members. And if you less than three, continue on until you have three again.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
I got some time into BotW. Still on the plateau and man does poo poo punish you for not paying attention. That being said, Magnet and Bomb rune trials were fun.

Having 3 hearts sucks big buttes. I've died a few times in combat not realizing that I am still taking damage when I block or when I think I have stepped out of the way.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Decided to get a 64gb SDXC cause gently caress paying $100 for a memory card. It'll be enough for my purposes.

I have a Pinball FX3 question - what the gently caress am I supposed to do when the ball just drops straight down the middle between my bumpers, or immediately ends up in the leftmost gutter when I launch it? Is there some pinball wizardry I need to be familiar with?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pollyanna posted:

Decided to get a 64gb SDXC cause gently caress paying $100 for a memory card. It'll be enough for my purposes.

I have a Pinball FX3 question - what the gently caress am I supposed to do when the ball just drops straight down the middle between my bumpers, or immediately ends up in the leftmost gutter when I launch it? Is there some pinball wizardry I need to be familiar with?

I don't know what you're looking at for $100 (200gb cards?) but a 128gb card is less than $40:
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MicroSD-Adapter-MB-ME128GA-AM/dp/B06XWZWYVP/

Though 64gb is plenty as well unless you plan to go heavily/entirely digital and don't want to delete games you aren't playing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I don't know what you're looking at for $100 (200gb cards?) but a 128gb card is less than $40:
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MicroSD-Adapter-MB-ME128GA-AM/dp/B06XWZWYVP/

Though 64gb is plenty as well unless you plan to go heavily/entirely digital and don't want to delete games you aren't playing.

:negative: Fuckin Staples.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

After finally playing Xenoblade 2, I’m overjoyed at how enjoyable the game is, especially after the wet fart that was Xenoblade X. Aside from the voice acting of everyone who isn’t a Nopon, I don’t really have any serious complaints yet.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

empathe posted:

That's correct. Essentially move if you need to but there's a cost. Sometimes the better positioning is worth it.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Pollyanna posted:

Use left analog stick to nudge. Search YouTube for pinball nudging guides and you will find many helpful videos.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Pollyanna posted:

It's a bit of a crap shoot, but try flipping both flippers at the same time at the right time. If you time it just right, you'll hit it out of harm's reach. Gutter saving requires some pro pinball wizardry with table bumping.

But the most basic thing in pinball games is to have some level of control of your ball. If you're basically going on reaction rather than action, chances are you're not going to go far.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Tae posted:

Move the stick a tiny bit after Rex's first sword strike.

Also heavily recommend beelining through the story until you have three permanent party members. And if you less than three, continue on until you have three again.

I just tried this out and holy poo poo this is a god tier tip. Gonna go take another stab at (lv. 25ish spoilers) Akhos and Malos. This is the first time I've really been stuck before.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Speaking of Pinball FX3...

https://twitter.com/zen_studios/status/945720387056181249

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rexroom posted:

It's a bit of a crap shoot, but try flipping both flippers at the same time at the right time. If you time it just right, you'll hit it out of harm's reach. Gutter saving requires some pro pinball wizardry with table bumping.

But the most basic thing in pinball games is to have some level of control of your ball. If you're basically going on reaction rather than action, chances are you're not going to go far.

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Use left analog stick to nudge. Search YouTube for pinball nudging guides and you will find many helpful videos.

Hrmmmm, okay. I've always played pinball by just whacking the ball whenever it comes near the flippers. I guess I need to get better at it...but making it go where I want it to go is really hard.

What happened to the Bethesda tables? Skyrim, Fallout, Doom...are they not on the Switch?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

As a kid I never understood why pinball video games built in a function to make the flippers seize up and the ball drop out, but yeah, judicious application of a jostle here and there (or in this case, a tilt of the left stick) is a key pinball skill to get the ball to change trajectory.

They actually touch on this lightly in the tutorial, showing you how you can nudge upward to transfer the ball from one flipper to the other.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Weedle posted:

Lol remember what was it final fantasy 13?

“Really takes off at 30 hours!”

I mean if it’s like a 70 hour game yeah, but come on though

- lmao e; fb

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 26, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

404notfound posted:

As a kid I never understood why pinball video games built in a function to make the flippers seize up and the ball drop out, but yeah, judicious application of a jostle here and there (or in this case, a tilt of the left stick) is a key pinball skill to get the ball to change trajectory.

They actually touch on this lightly in the tutorial, showing you how you can nudge upward to transfer the ball from one flipper to the other.

Yeah, but they did that independently, without really tying it in to the overall game...it didn't make sense to me why I would want to do that cause I wasn't in a normal gameplay situation. But maybe I just didn't get it.

What other tables for FX3 are good? Looks like the Bethesda tables just aren't out yet on the Switch...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

THE loving MOON posted:

I just tried this out and holy poo poo this is a god tier tip. Gonna go take another stab at (lv. 25ish spoilers) Akhos and Malos. This is the first time I've really been stuck before.

That's a gimmick fight. Focus on the nerd, it'll trigger a cutscene.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I really liked FF13 but holy poo poo that was an eye opener realizing the game finally opened up after like 30 hours. At that point I was fully expecting the rest of the game to be on rails.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Weedle posted:

Quit your job, abandon your family and ignore your bills. Only then can you truly understand how good this game about anime swords that have huge tits really is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I really liked FF13 but holy poo poo that was an eye opener realizing the game finally opened up after like 30 hours. At that point I was fully expecting the rest of the game to be on rails.

Which is unfortunately about 25 hours longer than I could get myself to play it.

• Locked thread