Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Interesting. Maybe they don't return to their home settlement.

To change the subject briefly, are there any good custom settlements that compliment Hangman's Alley? Something still in the city, between Diamond City and eastern shoreline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'm looking for mods that make the game more open-world-y, with less focus on the main storyline. I've read somewhere there's a mod that supresses quest pop-ups (?*) when you enter a new area... stuff like that. Basically just wander around and shoot stuff.

* or something like that, haven't bought the game yet

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

mike12345 posted:

I'm looking for mods that make the game more open-world-y, with less focus on the main storyline. I've read somewhere there's a mod that supresses quest pop-ups (?*) when you enter a new area... stuff like that. Basically just wander around and shoot stuff.

* or something like that, haven't bought the game yet

You'll want Start Me Up. The Fallout 4 main story is pretty easy to ignore, but it has a bad habit of occasionally popping its head back in to very forcefully remind you that you are a DESPERATE PARENT who will STOP AT NOTHING to find your missing son despite the fact that you've wasted the last two months running around in a sequin dress killing mudcrabs. Start Me Up fixes this by letting you play as just some gently caress who may or may not care about all this kidnapped baby nonsense.

Probably want to pick the vault start for your first time since it'll give you more or less the intended progression curve while still letting you play whichever unfrozen caveman lawyer you want as opposed to the very specific unfrozen caveman lawyer Bethesda wanted you to be.

e: and probably run through the intro once (or just watch it on youtube) so you get what's supposed to be going on

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Steam sale is on. Is the DLC/Season Pass worth it at 50%?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Steam sale is on. Is the DLC/Season Pass worth it at 50%?

Season pass is like 25 bucks? I'd say yeah. I personally got $25 worth of enjoyment just out of Far Harbor because the oppressive atmosphere is right up my alley and the story does much more interesting things with the setup than the base game. Building automatrons is fun, too. Nuka-World also seems cool, but I've only done the short version where I just gunned down all the raiders 45 minutes after arriving and left. Vault 88 is pretty cool, but you'd have to be really into settlement building to really enjoy it.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I've been trying to use the unleveled perks mod, but for some reason it makes it to where some perks are now requiring level 50.

how do i fix that?

I just realized that I have no idea how to edit the ini files. I might be missing some of them too. I certainly dont have this file: (data\F4SE\Plugins\place.ini)

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 22, 2017

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Some more shots.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I honestly thought I accidentally clicked the comic book movie megathread in CineD. I was wondering what movie they were from. Those shots are mindblowing. The first one is probably the worst one, because it looks more like a videogame than the rest of them. I think its the brightness of the colors. All the others look like real loving life.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Finally, FO4 has caught up with the graphical fidelity of STALKER.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Saint Sputnik posted:

Finally, FO4 has caught up with the graphical fidelity of STALKER.

FO4 really needs anomalies and artifacts, though - if you have Vault-Tek Magic that makes weapons more effective at night or :catdrugs:'d all to hell, a weird-rear end rock that slowly irradiates you but increases your carry weight should be fine.

Plus the joy of creeping up on an eneFUCKFUCKFUCK SPRINGBOARD :aaaaa: OK, I got out and... oh goody, the four Suiciders and the Mirelurk Queen have decided I'm the Wasteland Express, toot toot.

Akso bloodsuckers and controllers. :unsmigghh:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

FO4 really needs anomalies

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/7657

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEv6Soam-L0

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 22, 2017

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Thanks for the kind words about the screenshots. I have them all uploaded here: https://imgur.com/a/lCYpj and will continue to add more to that album so I don't bombard the thread.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Terrorforge posted:

You'll want Start Me Up. The Fallout 4 main story is pretty easy to ignore, but it has a bad habit of occasionally popping its head back in to very forcefully remind you that you are a DESPERATE PARENT who will STOP AT NOTHING to find your missing son despite the fact that you've wasted the last two months running around in a sequin dress killing mudcrabs. Start Me Up fixes this by letting you play as just some gently caress who may or may not care about all this kidnapped baby nonsense.

Probably want to pick the vault start for your first time since it'll give you more or less the intended progression curve while still letting you play whichever unfrozen caveman lawyer you want as opposed to the very specific unfrozen caveman lawyer Bethesda wanted you to be.

e: and probably run through the intro once (or just watch it on youtube) so you get what's supposed to be going on

ok I'll take this plus Uncapped Settlement Surplus, Salvage Rewards, Salvage Beacons and Shipments of the Commonwealth. basically some qol stuff to make it smoother.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Yeah. NAC's time storms, for lack of a better term, are crazy unique. They're incredibly rare. I think I've only had two in the past 30 or 40 hours of playthrough. But when they do happen, especially during a battle, it's loving awesome.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I have to say that Horizon has really made this game so much better. I actually feel anxious about leaving my settlements!

One snag is that I went ahead and bought the DLC and now some of the perks are broken. I read online that this may be due to some of the DLC changing the perks slightly. Basically, some of the perks are just a white siloutte of the Vault Boy, they have vanilla descriptions and crazy high level requirements (like 30+).

Is there an easy fix to this? Horizon is the only mod I have that would affect perks.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Did you run loot to sort load order?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sounds like the dlcs are below Horizon in your load order. Move them up the top (just below Fallout4.esm). Horizon needs to be right on the bottom.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I was being a moron and forgot to change Horizon to accept DLC haha. Works now.

Is there a way of getting a steady supply of mouldy food? I have had an infection for ages and both the medic and survivalist perk recipes include it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Not that I'm aware of. It's fairly common in containers but that's exploration.

Can you build a T1 medical stall? Assign a doctor and they'll be able to treat you.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

I was being a moron and forgot to change Horizon to accept DLC haha. Works now.

Is there a way of getting a steady supply of mouldy food? I have had an infection for ages and both the medic and survivalist perk recipes include it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23966/

This lets you clean the little trash piles everywhere and get a small amount of resources for each pile, and Moldy Food is usually one of the more common items. Might mess with balance of resource gathering in Horizon, but I haven't noticed a massive change.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
it also can result in a massive performance penalty in downtown Boston area by virtue of breaking the precombine mesh.

It's mentioned right there at the top of the mod page, but I have to emphasize the notice isn't a trivial one. Performance impact can be significant, if sometimes localized.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

The difficulty is kinda weird in this game. The first big mission, take out the raiders in that factory, I died like 40 times. At first I got gangbanged by a bunch of ghouls, reloaded and tried to avoid them. Took out the guy with the mini-nuke (why so early in the game?) by finding an angle where he can see but not shoot me. Then there was this weird thing in the factory, where I would leave the factory and 4 AI dudes were already bunched up on the other side of the door. Huh?

Also, the scrap mechanic. Seriously I have to drop all the raider gear on the floor, then switch to settlement mode so I can scrap them? I googled some scrap add-ons, but they were about junk, and not clothing, so maybe I'm missing something.

Now I'm on the second "kill all raiders" mission, walked out the settlement and got one-shot by some terminator-looking robot. what

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010
I dunno what mods you're running with, but you can scrap weapons and armor on their respective workbenches.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

If you're running Horizon you can use the shredder for armor too.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!
Has anyone had a problem with the latest update where mod organizer 2 doesn't work? For some reason, it thinks that steam isn't running, and then when you tell it ok it loads the fo4 launcher. It doesn't seem to actually load mods, though, it's kinda weird. I didn't change anything other than adding the new F4SE to the fo4 directory after the last update, so it really shouldn't have a problem.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are there any mods to give me Minutemen vertibirds? Like, i spend a bunch of resources building an 'aerodrome' in a settlement and then vertibird-consumables start slowly appearing in the workbench?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

https://github.com/LePresidente/modorganizer/releases

:swoon:

Look at that update. 2.0.8.3 to 2.1.0. Many bugs quashed, including the memory leak bug! Between this and the SimSettlements expansion coming out I feel like F4 modding is finally hitting its stride.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Been using the earlier builds of 2.1 for a week or so now, and holy poo poo it's night and day. They really did fix SO MUCH stuff.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Okay goons, I am going to be playing Fallout 4 for the first time.
I want a mostly vanilla experience. I will be using The Unofficial Patch and Achievements enabler of F4SE for sure.
Anything else that won't change the core gameplay?
I do consider a mod that changes what dialog looks like as a mod that changes the core gameplay. I don't want to know what my character is going to outright say.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

IAmTheRad posted:

Okay goons, I am going to be playing Fallout 4 for the first time.
I want a mostly vanilla experience. I will be using The Unofficial Patch and Achievements enabler of F4SE for sure.
Anything else that won't change the core gameplay?
I do consider a mod that changes what dialog looks like as a mod that changes the core gameplay. I don't want to know what my character is going to outright say.

Honestly FO4 works pretty well out of the box such that any mods you get probably ARE going to be changes to core gameplay - all the old standbys from 3/NV like sprinting, grenade hotkeys, etc. are built into the main game now. Even UI mods aren't really necessary for a vanilla game.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly FO4 works pretty well out of the box such that any mods you get probably ARE going to be changes to core gameplay - all the old standbys from 3/NV like sprinting, grenade hotkeys, etc. are built into the main game now. Even UI mods aren't really necessary for a vanilla game.

While the UI is improved over Fo3 and NV, it's still objectively bad for a PC game, so I'd vote for UI mod.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Anyone have experience with Dust Bowl Overhaul? I think it’s responsible for some reproducible crashes but I have no idea how I’d pin it down. I love the look of it but I’m worried it changes too many exterior cells to work with eg Horizon or other wide reaching mods like endless warfare.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Any recommendations for muted/atmospheric ENBs that hold up in gameplay? Also I know it's frowned upon but I've been using Resurrection, is there any way to uninstall it without having to reinstall the whole game? (Alternatives to Resurrection also appreciated)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

8 Ball posted:

Any recommendations for muted/atmospheric ENBs that hold up in gameplay? Also I know it's frowned upon but I've been using Resurrection, is there any way to uninstall it without having to reinstall the whole game? (Alternatives to Resurrection also appreciated)

My favorite ENB is still Photorealistic Commonwealth and I like to run Natural and Atmospheric Commonwealth alongside it. By tweaking PRC or NAC you can change the colors in the game a decent amount. I turn off the grain, black bars and dumb vignette in PRC right off the bat, however.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6796/
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/7657/

As for ditching Resurrection, you should be able to use a mod manager to delete it, and if that doesn't work, just delete its files. Shouldn't cause any problems unless you're doing a current play through using it, in which case go save in an interior cell like a basement, disable and uninstall the mod, and then wait inside for two weeks or longer and try going outside.

As to alternatives to Resurrection, as a general rule of thumb I wouldn't download any flora mods that actually add new objects to the game world for several technical reasons. Last I checked most of them don't have LODs (so added meshes phase into existence), most of them disable previs/precombined objects map wide (which will destroy your FPS in a lot of areas by choking the engine out), and most of them haven't updated AI visibility or navmeshes to include the new trees.

The only mod that does trees that I like to actually play is RustBelt Flora (which comes in both fall and summer flavors), as it's more of a retexture than a flora overhaul, and works by giving existing trees leaves. It has a LOD and the author has manually flagged cells to disable previs and precombined objects. In the world of Fallout 4 flora mods that is going to be a huge, huge performance boost. I run it with True Grass, which adds a huge amount of diversity to the underbrush without breaking things. Last time I used True Grass includes two versions, one having slightly smaller foliage than the other in order to improve visibility.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22527/
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23469/

horse mans posted:

Anyone have experience with Dust Bowl Overhaul? I think it’s responsible for some reproducible crashes but I have no idea how I’d pin it down. I love the look of it but I’m worried it changes too many exterior cells to work with eg Horizon or other wide reaching mods like endless warfare.

I haven't tried the mod, but it wouldn't surprise me if DBO even had compatibility issues with the vanilla game. It changes most (all?) of the exterior cells in the game, which is a lot of poo poo to say the least.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 27, 2017

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Oh well. At the least, have this screenshot of dust bowl overhaul in action. It looks stunningly close to the classic fallout 1/2 ambience.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

horse mans posted:

Oh well. At the least, have this screenshot of dust bowl overhaul in action. It looks stunningly close to the classic fallout 1/2 ambience.

oh wow, no kidding. That's really nice. I can see the classic fallout vibe immediately.

Is that just the dust bowl overhaul, or do you have anything else visual going on there? This screenshot looks nicer than the ones on the nexus. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22868/

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

(Horizon) When do I finally qualify as having "Settler Skill: Craftsmanship 1" ? I'm up to smithing skill 25 so far.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Cheap Shot posted:

oh wow, no kidding. That's really nice. I can see the classic fallout vibe immediately.

Is that just the dust bowl overhaul, or do you have anything else visual going on there? This screenshot looks nicer than the ones on the nexus. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22868/

Thanks! I’m also using NAC and the Photorealistic Commonwealth ENB preset.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

(Horizon) When do I finally qualify as having "Settler Skill: Craftsmanship 1" ? I'm up to smithing skill 25 so far.

From the patch notes:

quote:

(NEW) Settler Skill Perks
- When your settlers reach certain skill levels, you will now gain a perk for it
- Rank 1 = 25 skill
- Rank 2 = 50 skill
- Rank 3 = 75 skill
- Rank 4 = 100 skill (not obtainable yet)
- To receive perks you are eligible for, visit the Mission Manager in the Command Table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

horse mans posted:

Thanks! I’m also using NAC and the Photorealistic Commonwealth ENB preset.

How long have you been using them? It looks like you have them set similarly to what I had and it looks real nice in screenshots, but looking at it constantly quickly got exhausting for me.