Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

always be closing posted:

Love it, thanks. It still play the tunes as long as you're pressing the button right? Doesn't need to hit to play.

Yeah but even underleveled you really don't want to be a corner tooter, HH contributes a lot of Stun and Exhaust if nothing else, and Performances+Encores hit hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Hivac posted:

It's not that i don't know the controls, my mindset is just poisonous and i can't learn how to play video games because i'm too busy screaming at myself in my head for not being instantly perfect so I'm trapped using weapons with low skill floors and it's frustrating because I want to be cool and good with lots of weapons like sane people are

Sane people aren't good with lots of weapons, they are good at one and kinda okay at, like, two others

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

HenryEx posted:

Sane people aren't good with lots of weapons, they are good at one and kinda okay at, like, two others

Or mediocre at like six like me :v:

IMO lance and to a lesser degree gunlance are the most "You Should Really Know The Monster To Play This Well" weapons now that greatsword has tackle to bully their way through bad positioning

You have to be able to look at Anjanath and say "ok he just jerked his head right, he's gonna bite left so he's gonna be right there in like a second so I'll just hop left after this poke and put up a counter and yep there it is, back to poking" for as many of their animations as possible

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Lance benefits much more strongly from skills than other weapons. Having Guard, and especially Evade skills, is a complete game changer in how you approach and respond to monsters.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Reco fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 25, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah but even underleveled you really don't want to be a corner tooter, HH contributes a lot of Stun and Exhaust if nothing else, and Performances+Encores hit hard

2nded. That's why I said 'impact never goes out of style' you will always be a great help smacking a head and buffing. I for one get very excited when I multiplay and a horn shows up.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Neo_Crimson posted:

Lance benefits much more strongly from skills than other weapons. Having Guard, and especially Evade skills, is a complete game changer in how you approach and respond to monsters.

Guard +2 (which makes blocking take less stamina and do less pushback) and Auto-guard (the computer helpfully pushes the block button when you'd get hit unless you're in an attack animation) basically lets you just stand next to the monster like a derp where the only thing you ever need to think about is, "Wait for the monster's attack animation to finish then push triangle". It's a great way to sit around and learn the monster's tells. I don't know if it will work precisely the same way (since armor skills have changed a lot), but something similar will probably still be possible.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Bedurndurn posted:

Guard +2 (which makes blocking take less stamina and do less pushback) and Auto-guard (the computer helpfully pushes the block button when you'd get hit unless you're in an attack animation) basically lets you just stand next to the monster like a derp where the only thing you ever need to think about is, "Wait for the monster's attack animation to finish then push triangle". It's a great way to sit around and learn the monster's tells. I don't know if it will work precisely the same way (since armor skills have changed a lot), but something similar will probably still be possible.

Thats cool. Is it on a charm? Are there levels of it or just all or nothing. Would help my charge blade transition where I forget blocking exists.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

:gizz:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

:eyepop:

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Fantastic. Thanks, can't wait to try this game out.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Ciaphas posted:

Has the hivemind reached a consensus on the quote "correct" way to play switch axe this time around so far? I remember that being a problem in Generations, where the whole thing ultimately degenerated to "never not sword" (or was it "never not aerial axe", I forget), so I never played it then, and I've forgotten up to now to even try it in World.

It is back to where it was pre-Gen/XX - you always want to be swording then exploding. However, there will be at least five posts in response to this citing corner cases for why axe is the best.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Mailer posted:

It is back to where it was pre-Gen/XX - you always want to be swording then exploding. However, there will be at least five posts in response to this citing corner cases for why axe is the best.

Sword is unequivocally better, provided you have the sword charged (without they actually do pretty similar damage). However sword drain is significant enough that you'll have to spend at least a little time in axe. Also certain monsters when enraged are just too much for sword to deal with (Rath in the beta) so axe is what you'll use to get a little chip damage in and try to get a knockdown or stagger, since it's much more mobile.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Mailer posted:

Not c9rner case. Axe has way better mobility. Your twice as fast. If the monster is at all fast I use axe more. Which is the 'corner case' of 50% of monsters.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

AttackBacon posted:

Sword is unequivocally better, provided you have the sword charged (without they actually do pretty similar damage). However sword drain is significant enough that you'll have to spend at least a little time in axe. Also certain monsters when enraged are just too much for sword to deal with (Rath in the beta) so axe is what you'll use to get a little chip damage in and try to get a knockdown or stagger, since it's much more mobile.

The sword really doesn't seem to last that long in World. That said, Wild Chop is your highest dps move but you're completely stationary doing it making it not great most of the time. If you're alone and the Monster is down, grab the weak spot and chop away.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So what is the verdict on Hammer combat now that the circle button combo exists? It kinda seems like at least the last hit is worth going for but hit before that is pretty weak in comparison to just doing the normal pound/golf swing.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Aside from the dumb roars knocking me off of him los wasn't a big deal, but I got the idea in Tri that swaxe was the best against him (I have no idea why) so I've had a ton of practice with that particular setup. I used to be able to say axe was at least good for it's attack that reaches super high, but everything isn't flat now so half the time the jerk's hover range is too far away for any melee. It's not that axe mode is complete trash, it's just the lesser of two modes.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So what is the verdict on Hammer combat now that the circle button combo exists? It kinda seems like at least the last hit is worth going for but hit before that is pretty weak in comparison to just doing the normal pound/golf swing.

overall more damage, takes longer though. Do the golfswing when monsters aren't stunned, do BIG BANG when they're stunned/trapped.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Bombadilillo posted:

Thats cool. Is it on a charm? Are there levels of it or just all or nothing. Would help my charge blade transition where I forget blocking exists.

Autoguard is a terrible, terrible skill and I truly hope it's gone. The big problem with it is that it does nothing to improve your skillset at all - you gain no additional moves, none of your existing moves ate improved in any way, etc. It won't allow you to guard when you otherwise vould not, it ONLY presses the guard button for you if you do not but could have. At its best this means you're going to block a few extra attacks, but when it triggers, it means you were either waiting to block anyway (and thus it was pointless) or you were just standing there like a moron doing nothing, since it won't trigger of you're attacking, evading, or whatever else. Worse, though, it teaches you bad habits and bad muscle memory. If you use autoguard for a while, taking it off is going to make you worse at the game, at least temporarily, and it takes up slots that other, actually beneficial skills could be taking.

I'm not usually the guy who looks down on "crutches," but autoguard is JUST a set of training wheels, and actively drains your player skill. I use evasion skills as a crutch - but when I don't have them, I'm still conditioned to evade, at least.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Hey, I picked up mh3u again to finally get to dire miralis. My question is, how do I remove the NEW marker at the armory? I've tried scrolling over the armor, I've tried checking every comparison menu for them as well. Nothing I do takes it away, and it's getting super annoying!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I've never played a monster hunter game but World looks interesting. Is it probably going to be easy enough to pick up or should I try some of the earlier ones first? I like dragon's dogma if that's related at all...

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I've never played a monster hunter game but World looks interesting. Is it probably going to be easy enough to pick up or should I try some of the earlier ones first? I like dragon's dogma if that's related at all...

You will never find a Monster Hunter game better suited to starting the series than this one.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

There is a knowledge barrier to entry. BUT this is a marked point of change and streamlining for the series. I would not touch anything older.

1. Start by playing around with every single weapon. Theres usually a training area with an easy monster.
2. The one(s) you like. watch a "how to longsword" "how to switchaxe" video (the will exist before or shortly after launch) and it will explain all the moves and what your normal combo is and all that.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cool thanks guys. Probably gonna wait to see how the pc version of this turns out.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
PC version release date is still TBD. So you may have to wait a while unfortunately.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
https://youtu.be/pSnDcHnP3B8

New GS strat discovered. Seems a little op to me. Fun starts about 25 seconds in.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

New GS strat discovered. Seems a little op to me. Fun starts about 25 seconds in.

:what:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Wut happened

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

wtf is going on here, and how do I do it

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Is this a bug?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

free hubcaps posted:

wtf is going on here, and how do I do it
Looks like the heal is somehow resetting the GS strike, causing infinite hits. That will probably be patched out in short order.

But speaking of new strats, apparently the correct way to play LBG seems to be using it like a hammer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCYjy-RLmLQ

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Did that damage actually apply? Should be super dead.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I think half of those might be hits on the health booster? It looks like it's freaking out trying to decide which thing is actually being hit.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Several people tried to repro it but couldn't, it's likely some really corner case thing with multiplayer and hitlag. It is obviously a bug I mean come on he one shots the Rathalos. Like really lmao.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

GGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOTTTTTCCCCHHHHHAAAA BIIIIIIITTTTCCCCHHH

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Umbreon posted:

GGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOTTTTTCCCCHHHHHAAAA BIIIIIIITTTTCCCCHHH

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Did anyone else who played XX get stuck on the 8* village quests? I can’t seem to unlock the second set of keys needed to progress.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe
So, I tried to kill Diabolos when the beta was still live and holy gently caress, it is not kidding around.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, Diablos is significantly more difficult than most of the other monsters in the demo. That's why it's also fun to hunt :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe
Best I was able to do was cut its tail off and get it limping away before running out of time and I still consider that a victory considering it's only a two hit KO from that rear end in a top hat.