Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

withak posted:

A policy wonk, a real numbers guy

#betterway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Pretty sure ending food stamps would put every grocery store that isn't Walmart out of business

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Party Plane Jones posted:

"Ask not what we can do for the country, but what the country can do for us!"

Ask not what we can do for our country, but how we can burn it the gently caress down and kill as many of its citizens as possible in the process.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

I gotta be honest. If you take away food stamps from myself and my roomate (also a disabled schizophrenic) then without the extra money from my Patreon there would be absolutely no way for us to continue paying rent AND eating. And I am way better off than many I know on foodstamps.

Like if you killed the Food Stamp program outright there would be food riots within weeks. (Also the economy would crash as the stock of huge grocers dives right for the toilet.)

And and to answer everyone's questions about "How can Ryan and McConnel be so cruel?"- it is very simple. Ryan and McConnell are high functioning psychopaths. I say that without the slightest bit of hyperbole or exaggeration: I mean it literally. Ryan and McConnel are high functioning psychopaths. They do not posses the ability to feel empathy for other human beings and they do not posses an ideology such as you or I would understand it. What they have is unquenchable greed and the capability to tell any lie in pursuit of their own self interest. They see personal profit in causing the starvation of tens of millions of Americans and so they are simply pursuing that goal. There is nothing deeper going on in the minds of Ryan and McConnell.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FuturePastNow posted:

Pretty sure ending food stamps would put every grocery store that isn't Walmart out of business

While true, it would also close a shitload of wal marts, and cut wal mart's profits by like 95% of the total amount spent on food stamps since most food stamps goes to wal mart, I'm pretty sure.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I cannot find anything about that quote online.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

AceOfFlames posted:

Hugh Grant is in Love, Actually, he played the Prime Minister who tells off President Billy Bob Thorton.

Oh, fiction.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

We as taxpayers heavily subsidize Walmart in many ways, and EBT is one of them

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich

Unoriginal Name posted:

Is it wrong for me to wish death on the President?

I'm pretty sure that a stroke or heart attack is the only thing that will stop the insane senile narcissistic cancer that has been elected President, so if there was a just a loving God looking to prove that He exists......just sayin'

Remember this shirt from Killer Mike? Someone needs to preemptively make a new one in anticipation of the final Big Mac that will save this nation.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Prester Jane posted:

I gotta be honest. If you take away food stamps from myself and my roomate (also a disabled schizophrenic) then without the extra money from my Patreon there would be absolutely no way for us to continue paying rent AND eating. And I am way better off than many I know on foodstamps.

Like if you killed the Food Stamp program outright there would be food riots within weeks. (Also the economy would crash as the stock of huge grocers dives right for the toilet.)

And and to answer everyone's questions about "How can Ryan and McConnel be so cruel?"- it is very simple. Ryan and McConnell are high functioning psychopaths. I say that without the slightest bit of hyperbole or exaggeration: I mean it literally. Ryan and McConnel are high functioning psychopaths. They do not posses the ability to feel empathy for other human beings and they do not posses an ideology such as you or I would understand it. What they have is unquenchable greed and the capability to tell any lie in pursuit of their own self interest. They see personal profit in causing the starvation of tens of millions of Americans and so they are simply pursuing that goal. There is nothing deeper going on in the minds of Ryan and McConnell.

Republican leadership is doing what Comcast does; they keep taking more and more and seeing how far they can get before someone calls them up to tell them they're going with a different political party.

Seriously, I think they want to see how far they can push the Randian economic message before they hit a wall, and then mark my words, they'll walk it back an inch.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

empty whippet box posted:

I simply do not understand how anyone can be so cruel.

I can. We all know have a person, or persons, in our lives that literally does not care about anyone outside of themselves. The problem is our entire society is setup to reward them instead of discouraging them.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

to be replaced by a basic income, right?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

empty whippet box posted:

While true, it would also close a shitload of wal marts, and cut wal mart's profits by like 95% of the total amount spent on food stamps since most food stamps goes to wal mart, I'm pretty sure.

Wally's employees wouldn't be able to eat anymore, either

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I cannot find anything about that quote online.

I can't either. The only thing I can find recently involving McConnell and Ryan talking about food stamps is this article from a few days ago where McConnell was against Ryan's inchoate need to harm the poor mostly because it's an election year.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gret posted:

to be replaced by a basic income, right?

Yes. One that scales up as you have your own income and you don't start getting it until you already make $100k+ a year. Anyone who makes less than that simply doesn't deserve to eat and can always get a job!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/sltrib/status/945517212009467904

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Not that I don't believe the food stamp abolishment thing, but are there any articles out yet with actual quotes?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
That tweet about food stamps is from 2 days ago so if no one can actually find a single article to support it I think it's safe to call it bullshit.

Also Mitch and Ryan would never be so blunt and use the words "get rid of food stamps." That just gifts the Dems some great ads. The political dog whistle term is "welfare reform."

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Also Republican leaders would never be so blunt and use the words "get rid of food stamps." The political dog whistle term is "welfare reform."

The president of the united states posts straight up hate group videos at this point, are we even doing dog whistles anymore?

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
"Lost his way."

loving old prick should have been dragged out into the National Mall and guillotined the second he turned around and said, "Heh, welp. Guess we can't fund CHIP anymore!" after passing the tax bill.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That tweet about food stamps is from 2 days ago so if no one can actually find a single article to support it I think it's safe to call it bullshit.

Also Mitch and Ryan would never be so blunt and use the words "get rid of food stamps." That just gifts the Dems some great ads. The political dog whistle term is "welfare reform."

"Entitlement reform."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The president of the united states posts straight up hate group videos at this point, are we even doing dog whistles anymore?

Following the Trump playbook has blown up in the face of everyone who isn't Trump. And even he's being worn out from it. The "smart" ones are still careful about how they frame things.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

food stamps are like the most economically efficient government program there is. it returns like $1.70 for every $1 spent.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

ketchup vs catsup posted:

food stamps are like the most economically efficient government program there is. it returns like $1.70 for every $1 spent.

Republicans don't like government efficiency so of course they'd target its most efficient stuff.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Republicans don't like government efficiency so of course they'd target its most efficient stuff.

See also their eternal vendetta against the US Post Office

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

See also their eternal vendetta against the US Post Office

Thank god that's literally in the Constitution because if it wasn't it would have been long eliminated by now. Not that they don't keep trying.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Following the Trump playbook has blown up in the face of everyone who isn't Trump. And even he's being worn out from it. The "smart" ones are still careful about how they frame things.

I don't think anything trump is doing is a good idea, but it seems pretty silly to act like we are still in an age bound by dog whistles, people just say stuff now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

https://www.vox.com/conversations/2016/12/27/14038406/donald-trump-frankfurt-school-brexit-critical-theory

This is an interesting article/interview that discusses issues that I've felt for a while - long before Trump - but could never quite express coherently. His "presidency" is as much a symptom of cultural decay as political dysfunction, and I almost think that's more worrying than all the ways in which our politics are so partisan and hamstrung. We can always vote in Democrats and make systemic changes, but culture is more insidious and longer lasting (if that makes any sense at all).

If anyone is familiar with the Frankfurt school and knows of any good books on the subject, I'd be very interested in learning more.

A good one just came out: Grand Hotel Abyss. It’s good to just go right to the source: Adorno’s writing on culture and entertainment is as relevant as ever. Go Dialectic of Enlightenment, The Culture Industry, Eclipse of Reason, One-Dimensional Man, and have a great old time. They’re all angry old men.

Outside the Frankfurt tradition, do Daniel Boorstin’s The Image and Hofstadter’s Anti-intellectualism in American Life.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Media Resolution for 2018, can we have interviewers just straight out slap people when they say dumb poo poo like 'We're eliminating food stamps '?

Tia

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I mean, Republicans are really stupid so I'd put nothing by them but making a crusade against food stamps in the months leading up to a mid term election in which they're in danger of being blown out would be a special kind of dumb. Especially since they have no possibility of passing anything since they'd need 60 votes, so what do they have to gain?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

business hammocks posted:

A good one just came out: Grand Hotel Abyss. It’s good to just go right to the source: Adorno’s writing on culture and entertainment is as relevant as ever. Go Dialectic of Enlightenment, The Culture Industry, Eclipse of Reason, One-Dimensional Man, and have a great old time. They’re all angry old men.

Outside the Frankfurt tradition, do Daniel Boorstin’s The Image and Hofstadter’s Anti-intellectualism in American Life.

the article is about Grand Hotel Abyss :v:

also starting with the dialectic of enlightenment is uh, uhm. that's not an easy book. culture industry was easier i think. i actually haven't read one-dimensional man yet, but i think that one might be easier still. benjamin on art (art in times of industrial reproduction or whatever it's called) is a good intro to the frankfurt school as well.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I mean, Republicans are really stupid so I'd put nothing by them but making a crusade against food stamps in the months leading up to a mid term election in which they're in danger of being blown out would be a special kind of dumb. Especially since they have no possibility of passing anything since they'd need 60 votes, so what do they have to gain?

Barring a Veto-proof majority of Democrats in 2018? 3 years worth of pillaging.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If the Republicans really feel like they are absolutely screwed electorally (and aren't able to cheat as effectively as they need to) you are going to see some really evil poo poo come 2019. The tax reform bill was the product of a party that no longer cares about ramifications or optics of openly looting the country for not only the gain of the ultra wealthy, but their own selves in open and blatant corruption. At least now they are still trying to get re-elected.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Prester Jane posted:

I gotta say I'm not sure I buy this. Even putting aside the provenance of the quote for now — it just doesn't ring true for me that Ryan and McConnell would be bandying about these schemes involving the livelihoods and opinions of hundreds of millions of people just for their own personal profit motive. If it comes down, as you say, to a cold hard calculation, aren't there way easier ways for the two of these guys to make a few hundred grand to pad their retirements or whatever?

This is also why I was always put off by the insinuations that Dick Cheney had connived the US into war in Iraq simply because he had a stake in Halliburton and his stock would go up. It's not that I don't believe that's true, it's just ... such a ridiculously circuitous plan, as it were. So much to go wrong. It borders on conspiracy theory. If a guy in a position like that decides he wants to pocket a few million bucks, it's not like he has difficulty making that happen, and in totally secret backroom dealings that nobody would ever hear about at that. Surely he'd pick a route to it that doesn't slog through years-long troop mobilizations and the imperialistic occupation of sovereign nations and the deaths of millions of civilians and US soldiers alike, which surely they'd have known would have come back to bite them and their party in huge ways.

I feel like these kinds of things are ideologically driven. It's not that I doubt that there's psychopathy involved; lord knows I've known enough people I'd describe that way and I can totally see them seeking office and being successful at it simply because they don't have a conscience telling them not to do something that normal people would never dream of doing to begin with. But I think they have to genuinely believe they're doing the country a favor, not just themselves. They think "tough love" is what makes America exceptional.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Taerkar posted:

Barring a Veto-proof majority of Democrats in 2018? 3 years worth of pillaging.

If the Dems take the House the Republicans won't be able to do poo poo in Congress, even if they still hold the Senate. The only thing they'll have are Trump executive orders which keep getting shot down in court.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If the Dems take the House the Republicans won't be able to do poo poo in Congress, even if they still hold the Senate. The only thing they'll have are Trump executive orders which keep getting shot down in court.
Senate is enough for seating openings in SCOTUS and other federal courts. That's far more important in the long run than any legislation.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They're trying to out-evil each other so they don't get primaried

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

They're trying to out-evil each other so they don't get primaried

As Alabama has shown eventually the people that come out of the these increasingly lunatic filled primaries are unelectable. They are starting to find themselves in a situation where their base wants them to be something that is finally too much for the general electorate to tolerate, especially when Trump is a constant reminder of what happens when their get into power.

Virginia was really close to having it's own version of Moore go up against Northram for Governor (who is trying for another run of it for Senate) because the primary voters want more and more red meat and can't be satisfied. It's resulted in our terrible political situation but it appears to be reaching a breaking point.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 26, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Are food stamps universally popular and untouchable in the same way Social Security and Medicare are? Like, even typical rank-and-file Republican voters don't want to get rid of those two programs, even though their leaders would absolutely love to, but in the white middle-class bubble most Republicans live in, "food stamps" is just code for "poor lazy blacks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

From the comic thread.

• Locked thread