Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Another moment I really liked in the latest episode was the big tough guy with the shaved head, huge beard and all the tattoos turning out to be a bit of a sweety.

Gert, the security guy and him all playing the Star Wars game was adorable :allears:

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You mean we're not getting the nazi scientist villain made entirely out of bees?

Excuse me - it's the skeleton of a nazi scientist covered in bees :goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I like how this show is different than the comics books. The parents seem like real characters instead of supervillians, and I"m believe the whole bits about even though they're awful people who do awful things, the kids still have to deal with them being their parents and deep down loving them and hoping for it not to be true.

They've already used the term "Runaways" to describe the sacrifices which makes me think they're not going to actually run away any time soon.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Alex has a poster of Devil Dinosaur on his wall, that's great.

I have to say, after last weeks reveal of the Pride just using kids life force to heal just some guy, I was kind of disappointed. Even if he's like hundreds of years old, he's still just a guy. I mean if he turns out to be a wizard or really a alien or something, I can dig it, but I felt kind of let down.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yes but he is a master strategist because he plays some lovely Avengers MMO.

Wait, was this in the show? I saw him playing Battlefront, but nothing else.

Karolina floating looked really, really bad though. Dick Jones falling bad.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

twistedmentat posted:

Wait, was this in the show? I saw him playing Battlefront, but nothing else.

No, its only in the comics.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
One little mystery was how Alex knew the password to Nico's mother's office.

The fact that Nico later raised that point herself means it's going to be important.

Also, "password" was not the password. Alex clearly pressed one of the number keys. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is a magic xylophone keyboard, or something?
:goonsay:

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

One little mystery was how Alex knew the password to Nico's mother's office.

The fact that Nico later raised that point herself means it's going to be important.

Also, "password" was not the password. Alex clearly pressed one of the number keys. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is a magic xylophone keyboard, or something?
:goonsay:

I'm leaning toward the password being something relevant to either Nico or her sister, and Alex not wanting to say anything in the moment which would have further humanized Nico's mother.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've changed my expectations now that I've realized why they're moving so slowly (so that the parents and the children can actually interact for at least a season, as well as develop more of an ongoing mystery) and I ended up really enjoying this latest episode.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I did not see that ending coming.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

With the way this show has continually set up seemingly huge events/revelations only to have everything go on entirely as normal, I'm kind of expecting the next episode to not even address that ending. The dead guy just won't be in the show any more and, at most, the kids will spend two minutes talking about it and say something like "that'll be another thing for the police to investigate when we hand over all this evidence that we're going to have any day now."

When you sit down and think about it actually a lot of stuff has happened in this show, but it feels like nothing has because none of the characters react to it in any meaningful way. Remember there's a dinosaur? Because the characters don't seem to. That should be huge, but everyone's ignoring it! This episode had one off-hand comment about two of the characters having super powers and that was it. No one gets excited about anything.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I'm spoilering this even though it's total speculation

Did anyone else get a Marvel Boy, Noh-Varr, vibe from the opening scenes. At first I thought they were suggesting that Jonah was going to turn out to be John Sublime but after thinking about it, given that this is in the MCU Marvel Boy would make a lot more sense. The powers don't exactly fit, and Marvel Boy doesn't really have a link to Runaways, I just felt like that was a direction they could go, explaining that Jonah is an enhanced Kree. Though when I first thought about it, other than Rob Lowe who I'm not sure can do a sinister snarky character, Julian McMahon would be a great choice for Sublime.

This might have been my favorite episode in some ways. They're still learning on the drama between the parents too much, when they should be building up the kids more. The 'password' thing better have a decent resolution because after seeing Star Wars episode 8, my patience has run out for bait and switches resulting in a flat payoff. I really liked the Victor arc, and the beginning of the episode with him begging his dad not to pick up the glove felt like a tease for a confrontation down the line [with Jonah] but instead led right to the end of the episode.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm up to Kingdom now and so far the show's stayed consistently interesting. Only issues I've had so far are cringing a bit whenever Gert starts talking about Feminism, since it just feels so clunky. Yeah, she's 17(right?) but I still can't help flinching, cuz I get secondhand embarrassment from tv shows way too easily. Also them not really apologizing for repeatedly shutting Molly down every time she tried to tell them she's got super strength.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Wedge Regret

RareAcumen posted:

I'm up to Kingdom now and so far the show's stayed consistently interesting. Only issues I've had so far are cringing a bit whenever Gert starts talking about Feminism, since it just feels so clunky. Yeah, she's 17(right?) but I still can't help flinching, cuz I get secondhand embarrassment from tv shows way too easily. Also them not really apologizing for repeatedly shutting Molly down every time she tried to tell them she's got super strength.

I dunno man 17 year olds are kinda awkward like that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

apatheticman posted:

Oh no, I totally understand that, it just hits me hard every time.

Also, wow you guys weren't kidding about that fight being a mess.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

apatheticman posted:

yeah she dropped it the instant it was personally inconvenient, which, tbh, I felt was both awesome and realistic. Like, yes, it’s bad, but it’s not “15-year-olds should exist for no other reason” bad, and that’s before suspecting you witnessed your parents commit ritual murder. I dunno. I feel that merely having 100 million dollars is morally incompatible with being a good person, but I’ve worked for them and buy their products for no better reason than I don’t have to park at the store.

She raised awareness, and blazed the trail by dealing with the genetic fear humans have of standing in front of a crowd, and none of them supported her when she needed them. Job done. Go solve problems with your dinosaur and enjoy it girl, you’ve earned it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Right now the only non-sympathic parents is Alex and Karolina's moms. Even Tina, the more hardcore Pride Member, is shown in at least one moment of weakness.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

twistedmentat posted:

Right now the only non-sympathic parents is Alex and Karolina's moms. Even Tina, the more hardcore Pride Member, is shown in at least one moment of weakness.

Alex's mom got her sympathetic moment in the last episode when she went around Pride to protect Molly. Karolina's mom I think we're supposed to feel sympathy for because she's having to try and keep everyone in line while also juggling her own extramarital affair.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

Alex's mom got her sympathetic moment in the last episode when she went around Pride to protect Molly. Karolina's mom I think we're supposed to feel sympathy for because she's having to try and keep everyone in line while also juggling her own extramarital affair.

Alex's dad is very openly uncomfortable with all of this so there's some potential there but, Nico and Karolina's parents are kinda weird at times. Her dad seems normal at times, but he's also having an affair and then her mom actually starts teaching her about the staff and breaking down about her marriage falling apart- in private, granted- and you can start seeing that this is taking a toll on her even though she keeps it hidden most of the time.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RareAcumen posted:

Alex's dad is very openly uncomfortable with all of this so there's some potential there but, Nico and Karolina's parents are kinda weird at times. Her dad seems normal at times, but he's also having an affair and then her mom actually starts teaching her about the staff and breaking down about her marriage falling apart- in private, granted- and you can start seeing that this is taking a toll on her even though she keeps it hidden most of the time.

Yeah meanwhile the nerdy biologist parents who seemed most on the fence about PRIDE are kicking their adopted kid to the curb. I like the witch mom more than them now >:[

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

bring back old gbs posted:

Yeah meanwhile the nerdy biologist parents who seemed most on the fence about PRIDE are kicking their adopted kid to the curb. I like the witch mom more than them now >:[

I mean...they’re doing it under the impression that if they don’t Molly’s gonna get murdered, so...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

I mean...they’re doing it under the impression that if they don’t Molly’s gonna get murdered, so...

Yeah. This is how I understand the situation.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

PaybackJack posted:

I thought she was going to use the super happy fun mind wipe serum on molly, that doesn't seem like protecting her.

And the Yorkes were basically told "Molly is probably going to have to be dealt with...you know...permanently". They're sending her away so nothing bad will happen to her, which we've all but have been told that's what happened to her parents.

The G-man!? I love that big bald teddy bear!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, the Yorks were already planning on getting out of Dodge but couldn't in time. So them sending Molly away instead of letting her get killed just adds to them probably being the best parents so far. Though Chase's mom seems like she's an okay person but horribly broken thanks to Victor's abuse.

I really liked how that episode was set up with the beginning showing how cruel Victor was, then the rest of the episode having you (and Chase) come around on him and want him to be a decent guy. But nope, at the end he's still a monster and still abusive, just like how he was at the start.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, and the worst thing is I was feeling really sorry for Victor. It was almost like he broke under the pressure of his own genius and the expectations he had. But once things wore of he became not just abusive, but murderous. He's dead right?

I was really impressed by James Marsters in this, and its weird because literally the only other thing I've seen him in is Buffy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, the Yorks were already planning on getting out of Dodge but couldn't in time. So them sending Molly away instead of letting her get killed just adds to them probably being the best parents so far. Though Chase's mom seems like she's an okay person but horribly broken thanks to Victor's abuse.

I really liked how that episode was set up with the beginning showing how cruel Victor was, then the rest of the episode having you (and Chase) come around on him and want him to be a decent guy. But nope, at the end he's still a monster and still abusive, just like how he was at the start.

From the way that episode went, I thought it was some kind of brain problem where he had brain problems. When he came down the next scene asking why Chase was in the workshop I was like 'Is this an Alzheimers thing? Is he telling him things one day and then something entirely different the next?' I didn't even think that was all done on purpose.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Yes, that part of the end was really good and the episode being built with Mr.York's limited exposure was nice foreshadowing. The drug gradually losing it's effect on Chase's dad throughout the day was really effective building to the final scene.

While these writers know their teen melodrama, there are certain beats that teen melodrama does really well and episode pacing is typically one of them.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I love everything the Yorks do, they are amazing. Tsunami a strong episode

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I feel like this show is slowly falling apart from how steadfast the show refuses to let the main cast run away. Like, end of episode 7 was the perfect time to do so, and it didn't, and it feels like the show is in free fall from sort of ginning up reasons to not let the teens run away despite it making logical sense for them to do so.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Can someone explain to me Jonah in this episode? He emphasizes that they absolutely need to make another sacrifice to heal Victor, and then suddenly changes his mind when that's no longer possible?

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Barry Convex posted:

Can someone explain to me Jonah in this episode? He emphasizes that they absolutely need to make another sacrifice to heal Victor, and then suddenly changes his mind when that's no longer possible?

I think it was that it was absolutely necessary for everybody else, with "absolutely necessary" being the authoritarian definition of "I never share reasons, but I want you to be scared I'll throw a fit." This probably just means he'll need to do something monstrous to keep his immortality promise and the threat of taking it away over their heads. Making victims complicit in their own abuse is a pretty classic villain move. I think the show is sophisticated enough to take that direction, we'll probably find out by the end of the next ep or two.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

I liked Asian dad sacrificing himself, that felt like a good conclusion to his arc. Tina blowing up the box to save him felt like it was prolonging the drama. Jonah explaining that maybe the magic box will healing him anyway undercut the entire episode.

This felt like a episode that was 80% padding.

Also Molly not knowing what a VHS tape was because "lol millennials, right?" It makes sense but it was a very eyerolling moment.

The only things of note that really happened were getting a flashback that Amy did not commit suicide(presumably killed by Jonah) and Chase smashing the laptop which is dumb because it's not like Alex wouldn't have been smart enough to make a backup.

After a good episode that felt like things were happening this felt like a very treading water episode. It also suffered from still not having the kids be a big enough part of the show. Once Jonah came into the game, dominos really should have started falling quickly. Instead it's just been milling around chasing plots like Karolina's husband's stuff.

I don't even know why you'd bother to pay for CGI and animatronics for the dinosaur when it literally has no point other than just to be there. I guess presumably it will do something next episode...but why not just have Gert leave the door open for it or something and have it show up later on.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

Also Molly not knowing what a VHS tape was because "lol millennials, right?" It makes sense but it was a very eyerolling moment.

I felt this was odd, given that her parents are exactly the kind of people who'd have hundreds of old tapes lying around their house, full of old reruns of Matlock or whatever.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Another week, another go nowhere episode of (The) Runaways(' Parents).

At least "Hey, it's Gert. How 'bout, instead of leaving a message, you sign my petition demanding better wages for the Chinese factory workers that made this device?" got a chuckle out of me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like them downplaying the more comic book elements has been hurting the show, they set a bunch of stuff up, but its barely in it in, with Old Lace being the biggest example of this, but also the kids not actually running away. The show feels like its treading the water just to have more parent drama and less of a focus on the kids.

I did like Dean and Tina about to go at with, where Dean is taking off her earrings.

Also what the hell is with the super creepy downshirt shot of Karolina? It's long and lingers in a way that it could not have been just the way the thing was framed. Even though she's supposed to be like 17, the actor is in her 20s.

I can totally buy Molly not knowing what a vhs tape was. Despite someones head canon, no one had vhs tapes in general use in the late 2000s save old people and weirdos who clung to the format. It not at all unrealistic that Molly would have no idea what the hell one was.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 27, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I feel like everyone waiting for the kids to run away are like the people watching Gotham and waiting for Batman; this show is obviously doing its own thing, stop waiting for it to match up with the comics. Like I said before, right now the eponymous runaways are obviously the kids being sacrificed. Probably nobody’s going to actually run away until the season finale.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Barry Convex posted:

He didn't change his mind, his intended solution was made impossible when the other murder box got frazzled.

He put Victor into his own box because the energy left in its coils was just enough to stop him from dying completely. What happens from this point, even he doesn't know.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Phylodox posted:

I feel like everyone waiting for the kids to run away are like the people watching Gotham and waiting for Batman; this show is obviously doing its own thing, stop waiting for it to match up with the comics. Like I said before, right now the eponymous runaways are obviously the kids being sacrificed. Probably nobody’s going to actually run away until the season finale.

I was thinking the same thing except that in this episode Jonah states they don't need to do any more sacrifices, thus no need for the runaway kids. However I don't believe they're going to actually runaway, at least not to the extent that we saw Molly run away in this episode. Meaning I don't think they'll ever get too far from home/safety. We're not going to see them living in a sewer, moving between shelters, or camped out under an overpass.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I’m getting a whiff of some Jessica Jones-esque storytelling problems here. Still like the show, but it feels like the plot and characterization are being contorted to keep the kids from running away before the finale.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Running away or not, they need to do something.

Molly has powers. Karolina has powers. Gert has a dinosaur. Nico has access to a “magic” staff. Chase has working fistigons. Alex is clearly up to some sneaky poo poo. But the season’s almost over and the kids are no more realized than they were in the pilot.

Gotham, for all its many faults, at least embraces a somewhat workable version of a comic book universe. This is more like if Nip/Tuck had a merman on staff that nobody called out as a six foot dude with scales and webbed feet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You can't tell me that computer wiz Alex didn't have that poo poo backed up somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
At first i thought they were finally going full evil with the parents by having them be ok with one of their own being sacrificed, but then it just fizzled out.
It just feels like the show is in a holding pattern, because they have to kill time untill the season finale, the pacing just feels strange.

Also, i must have missed it but why exactly is Victor Stein so important?

• Locked thread