Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

Dracula, Dead and Loving It in black & white.

AvP Requiem in black and white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

K. Waste posted:

I would really like it to start being a thing for people to watch contemporary movies shot for color in black-and-white.
There was a thread for this a few years ago. I don’t know how to find it using the Awful app, though.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Swamp Thing is better in black and white, although still pretty far out from being good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

AvP Requiem in black and white.

With current home video releases, that would just be black.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would watch AvPR in its intended color scheme. Brown.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Black Bones posted:

Oh no, a movie made you and your friends enjoy yourselves in allegedly unexpected ways! Save us Disney, save us from Ridley Scott!!

You guys really don't want to admit Promethus and Covenant are bad movies.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Covok posted:

Some of us just like a bit of originality. Don't worry, Disney will give you space marines, pulse rifles, and Alien Queens on a two-dimensional script soon enough. :D

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

viral spiral posted:

Some of us just like a bit of originality. Don't worry, Disney will give you space marines, pulse rifles, and Alien Queens on a two-dimensional script soon enough. :D

Because the problem I have with Promethus and Covenant is originality. Covenant. The movie whose 3rd act is tacked on slasher scenes put in to appease fans mad about Promethus.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Covok, dude, don't bother. These people are too far gone.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Covok posted:

Because the problem I have with Promethus and Covenant is originality. Covenant. The movie whose 3rd act is tacked on slasher scenes put in to appease fans mad about Promethus.

You don't have to talk about yourself in the third-person, you know.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Covok posted:

We have already established that the finale of the film is a framing device.

Much like the finale of Aliens, upon which Covenant is overtly modeled,* the sequence is a deliberately gratuitous escalation of something that has technically already been resolved in a previous sequence, simply so that the film's themes can be driven home even more clearly. Whereas Aliens exploits 'overkill' to hammer home irrevocably that Ripley's demons have been defeated once and for all, Covenant is subverting this fairy tale fantasy.

* The finale of Aliens is itself modeled on the finale of Alien. Alien in turn is modeled on The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. The slasher genre that you are worried about depreciating the quality of your franchise has, indeed, always been a formal and thematic kin of the alien films.

Monglo posted:

Don't dissuade people from going outside of their comfort zones. It betrays bad faith.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Monglo posted:

Really, Disney is very likely going to push out PG13* remakes of Cameron's film every few years now, because action is popular among the masses. You're in good hands. Just look at Star Wars FFS.

* At the expense of quality, due to their notoriously greedy business model.

Covok
May 27, 2013

viral spiral posted:

Really, Disney is very likely going to push out PG13* remakes of Cameron's film every few years now, because action is popular among the masses. You're in good hands. Just look at Star Wars FFS.

* At the expense of quality, due to their notoriously greedy business model.

Now I know you ain't paying attention if you think The Last Jedi was pushed out or paint by numbers when its very much an Anti-Star-Wars movie.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Covok posted:

Now I know you ain't paying attention if you think The Last Jedi was pushed out or paint by numbers when its very much an Anti-Star-Wars movie.

Disney will have your space marines cracking awkward, forced jokes; much like they had done with the characters in The Last Jedi.

Covok
May 27, 2013

viral spiral posted:

Disney will have your space marines cracking awkward, forced jokes; much like they had done with the characters in The Last Jedi.

Loves Covenant. Praises its originality.

Hates The Last Jedi. Calls its paint-by-numbers.

What...?

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Covok posted:

Loves Covenant. Praises its originality.

Hates The Last Jedi. Calls its paint-by-numbers.

What...?

:sigh:

I didn't hate TLJ, I said so in the Star Wars thread. I said it was a generic committee film with too much forced comedy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

viral spiral posted:

I am genuinely confused if you think characters cracking awkward forced jokes isn't a part of both Alien and Aliens. Not so much Alien 3 but that's more the setting. (It's also part of Alien: Resurrection for obvious reasons.)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I am genuinely confused if you think characters cracking awkward forced jokes isn't a part of both Alien and Aliens. Not so much Alien 3 but that's more the setting. (It's also part of Alien: Resurrection for obvious reasons.)

definitely Aliens, but i can't think of many that are that bad in Alien

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Covok posted:

It's kinda the gimmick of the thread, pal. At least Covenant is better than Prometheus but that's not saying alot.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

The jokes in Aliens were not awkward or forced, and I don't recall any "forced jokes" in Alien.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

viral spiral posted:

The jokes in Aliens were not awkward or forced, and I don't recall any "forced jokes" in Alien.

A lot of Hudson's jokes are pretty forced ("how do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?"; "yeah man but it's a dry heat!"), but it's an intentional character trait - he's compensating for his true nature ("we're in some real fruity poo poo now, man!"; "with those things crawling around out there? Well you can count me out!"; "why don't you put her in charge!") with forced humor and bravado.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Xenomrph posted:

A lot of Hudson's jokes are pretty forced ("how do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?"; "yeah man but it's a dry heat!"), but it's an intentional character trait - he's compensating for his true nature ("we're in some real fruity poo poo now, man!"; "with those things crawling around out there? Well you can count me out!"; "why don't you put her in charge!") with forced humor and bravado.

It's quite evident you don't know what "forced humor" is. A good example of it was Poe loving with General Hux over the phone at the beginning of TLJ.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
We already know what Disney's Aliens will look like: James Cameron's Avatar.

Which Disney now also owns.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

viral spiral posted:

It's quite evident you don't know what "forced humor" is. A good example of it was Poe loving with General Hux over the phone at the beginning of TLJ.

God that was painful, especially contrasted against Han pretending to be a stormtrooper in New Hope.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dienes posted:

God that was painful, especially contrasted against Han pretending to be a stormtrooper in New Hope.

One of the best scenes in all of Star Wars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bjEpLoL0ls
What a dweeb. :allears:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

wyoming posted:

That's some amazing line reading by Ford.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

viral spiral posted:

I dunno man, I thought that bit in TLJ was pretty funny but humor is subjective so YMMV. :shrug:

It was even in character for Poe, because he did the same thing to Kylo Ren at the start of TFA when Kylo does his "dramatic, ominous pause".

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Dienes posted:

This unironically.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

wyoming posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bjEpLoL0ls

http://lukecompany.ytmnd.com/

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
Just watched Prometheus and Covenant back-to-back. I preferred Prometheus, which I think comes down to the characterisation being more immediately legible and the couple of conversations where someone helpfully spells out the themes of the movie - David talking to Shaw's husband about their origins, and kind of extracting permission to poison him is what I'm talking about here. In Covenant I had a hard time understanding what the characters were meant to be about beyond the nice girl who wants a cabin and the captain with faith. They spend so much of the film dressed more or less identically that I didn't really get a visual cues about them, compared to some of the crisp character introductions in Prometheus (Shaw's husband wearing a hideous, ostentatious silver ring and sandals screamed "arrogant hippie" to me, whilst Weyland's daughter could communicate "frigid bitch" with her shoes and "sibling rivalry" with a haircut).

I really didn't expect a wizard to show up halfway through Covenant!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Whelp.

https://screenrant.com/alien-covenant-sequel-canceled/

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I guess my Christmas can get worse. Thanks.

Ps gently caress everyone

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wonder if they'll let things cool off for a few years or go right into some sort of reboot sometime in 2019 or 2020.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

At least literally the only source on the cancellation is a rando poster on Blu-ray.com.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Who gives a poo poo what fox did it's Disney's property now

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Who gives a poo poo what fox did it's Disney's property now

Not for another two years.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

It was best to put a bullet in it before Ridley Scott could do more damage.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
July 2022: A Kingdom Hearts game is released where the worlds are Asgard, Pandora, Hoth, and LV-426.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

thank you sweet merciful jesus

2017: not so bad after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

They contained the damage Ridley Scott can do!