Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Yeah and hey why did they have to blow up the Death Star and Star Killer? Why didn’t they just capture it and blow up the Sith/Empire planets and ships? God they suck af tactics.

Yoda should be force haunting Snoke in his sleep so he can’t get good nights rest and then keeps making bad decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Mullitt posted:

This doesn't undermine anything. This wasn't an ideological kamikaze attack, it's a desperate move by a character who's watching everyone she knows get blown up.

Wasnt her whole character based on "doing heroric flashy things because your desperate is foolish" though?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Wasnt her whole character based on "doing heroric flashy things because your desperate is foolish" though?

No. Her character was don’t do stupid poo poo unnecessarily that gets everyone killed for no reason and show no remorse or understanding for deaths of comrades. There was no reason for Poe to have gone through with it, one Dreadnaught is nothing compared to what they lost and Snokes ship was just as or more powerful.The idea was the rebels could escape undetected but I think if I recall Benecio sold them out to live.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

She realised the evil of her bourgie upbringing and devoted herself to antifascist action to atone. She's not super bright so she leaves ideological factionism to more important characters. She's a bit of a tankie but she did good in the end so could be worse

Let's briefly look at the costuming of the resistance in TLJ. Leia and Amilyn (lol) Holdo wear gorgeous and impractical dresses. The bridge crew wear military uniforms, the pilots wear flight suits and the flight crew wear jumpsuits. Except for Leia, Amilyn and her mousy subordinate, all these clothes look worn, even ragged. Recall Amilyn is an old friend of Leia, a literal princess. She clearly comes from great status and wealth and holds onto that despite fighting a rather desperate war.

Therefore I posit that there is nothing about Amilyn suggesting a rejection of her upbringing. In fact, it seems more likely the opposite, that the Fo (who are not fascists but nondescript bad guys) threatens her privilege.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

Yeah and hey why did they have to blow up the Death Star and Star Killer? Why didn’t they just capture it and blow up the Sith/Empire planets and ships? God they suck af tactics.

It only requires the thinnest tissue of justification to explain why they don't, which those movies provide and TLJ fails to.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Everyone points to the Fo's use of Starkiller base as some great evil but I'm not so sure. Alderaan in terms of plot was a 'peaceful planet' destroyed to send a political message of fear. In terms of narrative it represented a transformation of perspective, the heroes go looking for this fairy tale land and instead find the death star.

In terms of plot, the Hosnian system was a military target. Hux ordered its destruction specifically to destroy the resistance fleet. It's like the bombing of Dresden and nothing like the Holocaust (for people bandying around accusations of genocide). In terms of narrative it represents the far reaching hand of the Fo, in other words their popular support. Only like 20 people in the galaxy care about the resistance.

Sinding Johansson fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 26, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Basebf555 posted:

I do wonder if introducing the hyperspace ramming tactic was a mistake long term, because it's gonna be tough to write a desperate space battle scene now without people going "hey why don't they just take one of their fighters and just hyperspeed ram that big ship?"

You know drat well the first scene of episode 9 will be the FO new technology that prevents that tactic.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Waffles Inc. posted:

Nah, they would have been blown to bits by the guns of the ship he destroyed approximately 2 seconds after they were tracked through lightspeed

Poe and the bombers saved the entire resistance

Eh, debatable. Firstly it’s not clear that the dreadnought could have fired with lethal force from that range while also keeping up in the chase. Second, if it could... they’d have still had a full size bomber wing with which to take it down.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

This only applies to complete idiots.

Once a concept is introduced in a setting, like moving things with your mind,, it’d be very strange if it was never mentioned again, and if the protagonists are in a position when using this new idea makes sense but they don’t, you will naturally ask why not. Unless you’re a complete idiot.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Neither hyperspace nor using spaceships as weapons is a new concept, though; the pieces were there, Johnson was just the first to put them together. No one else had done the hyperspace kamikaze in universe probably for the same reason no one did it out of universe - they hadn't thought of it.

Also pretty much every situation people have suggested using it in has been accomplished just as well without it; asking why everything isn't solved with a hyperspace kamikaze is like asking why every military problem in our world isn't solved with nuclear weapons.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Hydronium posted:

Also pretty much every situation people have suggested using it in has been accomplished just as well without it; asking why everything isn't solved with a hyperspace kamikaze is like asking why every military problem in our world isn't solved with nuclear weapons.

:smugdon:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rian coming up with something cool that each previous director should've come up with does not a bad film make.

I haven't heard any argument against it that doesn't involve previous films or hypocritical future films.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Chickenwalker posted:

Rogue One was what you could call a flawed film with redeemable qualities. The space battle and Vader opening up the playbook on Rebel troopers was worth the price of admission alone.

The Last Jedi doesn't really have any of that. It's there to satisfy itself and its creator's sense of intellectual superiority at the cost of making a coherent or entertaining film.

It shows all the classic flaws of a film school short. Trying to do too much, not focusing on the small moments, having a plot that's too busy and too complex for its own good. Plots should be simple - 1, 2, 3. Characterization should be complex.

It's the Nolan disease - everyone wants to have some overly convoluted rear end pull plot to show how brilliant they are. Star Wars was from its inception a study of the monomyth - it was all about simplification and finding the lowest common denominator everyone could relate to.

Everyone needs to go loving read Syd Field and Joseph Campbell. Screenwriters have to conform to screenwriting norms or their scripts get thrown in the trash. Likewise there's nothing new under the sun with storytelling in terms of its core tenants and underpinnings - in order to be better storytellers filmmakers really need to stick to brass tacks and not try to be so wanky with plot.

I was as cheering for this post until you misspelled tenets.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I think it’s pretty rare that your doomed-anyway, staffed-by-one-person-exactly capital ship is just sitting within point blank range of the enemy capital ship and not being fired upon while it charges its hyperdrive.

We know that lightspeed kamikazes by smaller ships are not really effective from that scene at the end of Rogue One with the destroyers jumping in. So you probably need a lot of mass and close initial distance to do really dramatic damage and if you can safely reach and sit in that range under normal circumstances you’re probably winning a conventional battle and should just sit tight and keep firing your lasers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve2911 posted:

I haven't heard any argument against it that doesn't involve previous films

This is what gets me. Literally every negative YouTuber review I've heard contains some version of "this movie killed Star Wars", and they seem to all miss that that was intentional

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

“Why didn’t they just...” is always followed by some dumb story ending bullshit that renders the idea of storytelling meaningless and just boils movies down to tactical documentaries.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

This is what gets me. Literally every negative YouTuber review I've heard contains some version of "this movie killed Star Wars", and they seem to all miss that that was intentional

Lots of people I've seen are either praising the movie for being different or criticising it for being too different but I think Something Awful is the only place so far I've seen where people are criticising it for actually not being different at all. I don't know what to make of it. Surely they can't all be right. :shrug:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Lots of people I've seen are either praising the movie for being different or criticising it for being too different but I think Something Awful is the only place so far I've seen where people are criticising it for actually not being different at all. I don't know what to make of it. Surely they can't all be right. :shrug:

They are both wrong, but the YouTubers are wronger.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Honestly, the only thing that can probably ever truly "kill" Star Wars is oversaturatuon. One entry in a nine movie series is not going to be enough. The public reaction to TLJ combined with the general sense of apathy for Solo is probably going to do more to adjust any plans for a franchise than the content of TLJ itself. And honestly, I for one welcome the boldness of TLJ. I don't agree with everything done in it, but it has me curious to see the follow up. And even though it's going to be an Abrams joint, at least it ain't gonna be Colin Treverrow.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Sinding Johansson posted:

It's like the bombing of Dresden and nothing like the Holocaust (for people bandying around accusations of genocide). In terms of narrative it represents the far reaching hand of the Fo, in other words their popular support. Only like 20 people in the galaxy care about the resistance.

The bombing of Dresden was a crime against humanity though?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Holdo's a leftist, not a liberal. The liberals are the ones who refused to answer the distress call because it would be uncouth and taking the low road and/or the war profiteers

The ones that refused to answer the distress calls are EVERYONE in the galaxy, not just liberals.

Fart City posted:

Honestly, the only thing that can probably ever truly "kill" Star Wars is oversaturatuon. One entry in a nine movie series is not going to be enough. The public reaction to TLJ combined with the general sense of apathy for Solo is probably going to do more to adjust any plans for a franchise than the content of TLJ itself. And honestly, I for one welcome the boldness of TLJ. I don't agree with everything done in it, but it has me curious to see the follow up. And even though it's going to be an Abrams joint, at least it ain't gonna be Colin Treverrow.

I wonder how this will change Disney's plans. I bet they were thinking they had another Marvel type situation where they could pump out 3 movies a year. I hope the followup doesn't play it more safe.

I still don't understand why the next spinoff is Solo instead of Obi-Wan or something with characters we don't know.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 26, 2017

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It is worse than that - it's a corporate message.
What does that even mean?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Gatts posted:

No. Her character was don’t do stupid poo poo unnecessarily that gets everyone killed for no reason and show no remorse or understanding for deaths of comrades. There was no reason for Poe to have gone through with it, one Dreadnaught is nothing compared to what they lost and Snokes ship was just as or more powerful.The idea was the rebels could escape undetected but I think if I recall Benecio sold them out to live.

One unnecessary thing is to keep your plans for survival so secret that a sizeable portion of your crew believes you don't have a plan, and comes up with one of their own that results in mutiny

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Leia said what the plan was. Out loud. Holdo just didn’t like Poe getting in her face acting like a jackass.

But she saw how far he’d go to protect the ship and thought he was alright in the end. If not a bit hot headed.

She didn’t know how bad he hosed up with DJ though.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

People confusing insightful analysis with ramming everything into mindless political categories ITT

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

just another posted:

What does that even mean?

The movie is basically about how people relate to Star Wars the franchise, for example when Luke Skywalker talks about himself as a fictional character.

A disillusioned character talk about how terrible and insubstantial the pre-Disney movies are, while the hopeful admirer counters that they should go back to them. The idea of religion giving you power to move rocks is dismissed as shallow and stupid, but it turns out that using religion to move rocks is cool and good. The villain wants to get rid of all the stupid bullshit in the Star Wars franchise like the Jedi. When everyone keeps talking about how they're the spark that will set the fire of rebellion, it means that they will give birth to a more perfect fandom, symbolized by young new Star Wars fans playing with merchandise.

Rose is in awe when she gets to meet Resistance hero Finn. When she says that she loves Finn, she means that she's a fan. She doesn't love child slaves, which is why they're left behind.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 26, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CelticPredator posted:

“Why didn’t they just...” is always followed by some dumb story ending bullshit that renders the idea of storytelling meaningless and just boils movies down to tactical documentaries.

It's the conflict between the movie telling a story, and some fans trying to define a reality. Those two are never gonna fit comfortably.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spacebump posted:

I wonder how this will change Disney's plans. I bet they were thinking they had another Marvel type situation where they could pump out 3 movies a year. I hope the followup doesn't play it more safe.

Do you suppose that was the plan? Ramping up to multiple Star Wars movies a year? I imagine there already have been (and when Solo disappoints as it's on course to do, there certainly will be) thinkpieces about how one movie annually is oversaturation.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

just another posted:

People confusing insightful analysis with ramming everything into mindless political categories ITT

We’re just intoxicated by the discovery of this hyper-effective ramming technique.

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Sinding Johansson posted:

Everyone points to the Fo's use of Starkiller base as some great evil but I'm not so sure. Alderaan in terms of plot was a 'peaceful planet' destroyed to send a political message of fear. In terms of narrative it represented a transformation of perspective, the heroes go looking for this fairy tale land and instead find the death star.

In terms of plot, the Hosnian system was a military target. Hux ordered its destruction specifically to destroy the resistance fleet. It's like the bombing of Dresden and nothing like the Holocaust (for people bandying around accusations of genocide). In terms of narrative it represents the far reaching hand of the Fo, in other words their popular support. Only like 20 people in the galaxy care about the resistance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOCYcgOnWUM

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the strength of Star Wars has always been in its ability to expand its scope, narratively and thematically, while holding onto a certain core Star Wars-ness - a combination of specific stylistic elements and a common set of the values the series as a whole endorses. It's not static from installment to installment (or at least it shouldn't be), but it's not really radical either. It evolves, it doesn't reinvent itself.

TLJ is sort of the epitome of that - even its themes are explicitly about destroying the past vs. learning from it and improving on it. So I think a lot of the people that like it and hate it are latching onto whichever part they feel most strongly about. If you want Star Wars to change as little as possible, it's too different. If you want Star Wars to change a lot (or if you dislike Star Wars), you either like TLJ because it's the most explicit about that, or you hate it because despite the things it changes, it's still Star Wars and is still going to go with a lot of the same beats.

I feel kind of out of place reading all that stuff from both directions because I like that weird balance, and think TLJ does a great job reaffirming a lot of the things I love about the saga while also taking it in interesting new directions. Compare to TFA, which I think leans way too hard on the conservative side and doesn't really add much new to the picture.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 26, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Wheat Loaf posted:

Do you suppose that was the plan? Ramping up to multiple Star Wars movies a year? I imagine there already have been (and when Solo disappoints as it's on course to do, there certainly will be) thinkpieces about how one movie annually is oversaturation.

Marvel kind of proves more than one movie annually isn't over saturation. I can't imagine Disney had any other plan than to make as much money off of as many Star Wars movies as possible. They are doing better than WB/DC is with their movie universe but they just don't have it down yet. Maybe if they had Lucas in charge of the universe like Feige is with Marvel they could nail it. I think they are clearly trying to ramp up Star Wars output with the announced Rain trilogy. Those films, 9, Solo, and unnamed spinoff have them putting out 6 more movies in a short amount of time for the franchise.

Solo disappointing shouldn't be looked to as over saturation. That movie has big problems, imagine how much worse it would do if it wasn't attached to one of the biggest franchises in film. Star Wars is a franchise where fans regularly try to tell others multiple long children's tv shows are worth watching. This excitement can be translated to film, it just has to be done right.

Making a successful film universe appears to be more difficult than most studios realized, hence only the Marvel Universe really working well. (to a lesser extent the X-Men franchise but that universe was also going to include the new Fantastic Four until it bombed and everyone pretended they didn't have the casts pushing #AUniverseUnited on all their social media accounts.)

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 26, 2017

just another
Oct 16, 2009

The movie is basically about how people relate to Star Wars the franchise, for example when Luke Skywalker talks about himself as a fictional character.

A disillusioned character talk about how terrible and insubstantial the pre-Disney movies are, while the hopeful admirer counters that they should go back to them. The idea of religion giving you power to move rocks is dismissed as shallow and stupid, but it turns out that using religion to move rocks is cool and good. The villain wants to get rid of all the stupid bullshit in the Star Wars franchise like the Jedi. When everyone keeps talking about how they're the spark that will set the fire of rebellion, it means that they will give birth to a more perfect fandom, symbolized by young new Star Wars fans playing with merchandise.

Rose is in awe when she gets to meet Resistance hero Finn. When she says that she loves Finn, she means that she's a fan. She doesn't love child slaves, which is why they're left behind.
This doesn't answer my question. You're reaching.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spacebump posted:

Solo disappointing shouldn't be looked to as over saturation. That movie has big problems, imagine how much worse it would do if it wasn't attached to one of the biggest franchises in film.

I'm not sure. To the best of my knowledge, no Star Wars movie, whatever flaws they may have, has ever been looked upon as a "failure" (I've made my views on how TLJ will manage commercially clear here and elsewhere but that remains to be seen; it's been out for, what, three weeks?) so I must assume that potentially having a "failure" could diminish the brand.

quote:

Making a successful film universe appears to be more difficult than most studios realized, hence only the Marvel Universe really working well. (to a lesser extent the X-Men franchise but that universe was also going to include the new Fantastic Four until it bombed and everyone pretended they didn't have the casts pushing #AUniverseUnited on all their social media accounts.)

Sure. I think the only one that's sort of worked is that Godzilla v Kong: Dawn of Amerikaiju one.

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

just another posted:

He's right though.

Movie still sucks.

They should of just gone with The New Republic being cool and powerful and Luke & Co facing off against a big bad that's mad his dad got killed by Luke Skywalker during the destruction of the Death Star or something. Maybe shoehorn Plagues in there at the end.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

just another posted:

I answered your question why it was a corporate message. What Rose loves is the franchise, so she saves part of it. It's a message to love Star WarsTM.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

Eh, debatable. Firstly it’s not clear that the dreadnought could have fired with lethal force from that range while also keeping up in the chase. Second, if it could... they’d have still had a full size bomber wing with which to take it down.

It had the range to shoot from space to the planet powerfully enough to leave a mushroom cloud visible in space

And if the FO fighters were too far out of range to be supported, why would the rebel ones be any different?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I answered your question why it was a corporate message. What Rose loves is the franchise, so she saves part of it. It's a message to love Star WarsTM.

I love how the whole thing is essentially, “the Rebels need to market themselves better!” and now Luke is their new spokesman

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
You know if they had placed some blurb at the beginning of this film about how the rebels ship was the fasted ship in the galaxy and had some super powerful secret engine this could of all been averted...alack and alas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Your focus determines your reality.

• Locked thread