Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Part of the fun is guessing which adventure has The Mark of Ross upon it. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Vote for me!

I mean literally me.

It's a one-shot where I show up and start reading my posts at you.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Splicer posted:

Vote for me!

I mean literally me.

The spookiest scenario of all

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Splicer posted:

Vote for me!

I mean literally me.

Dude this game is meant to be fun not cripplingly depressive.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Three of those aren't actual Delta Green factions. SaucerWatch and Phenomen-X are a better fit for several of the neutrals, there's GRU SV-8, there's the Fate (Chaotic Evil pretty much by definition), Tiger Transit, the Black Ocean/Dragon Society, PISCES... if you're going to look beyond the strict confines of published books there's Section Disparue, the Congregation, the Occult-Related Crimes Unit and small-c conspiracy inside Europol dealing with weird crimes. (And M-EPIC isn't really good; Glancy called it the "law enforcement version of residential schools".)

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

LatwPIAT posted:

(And M-EPIC isn't really good; Glancy called it the "law enforcement version of residential schools".)

Tell me you have a source for this quote. I need it for a friend.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

Tell me you have a source for this quote. I need it for a friend.

Appears to have been Chris Huth and not Glancy, whoops.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Really solid collection of Delta Green scenarios avail for preorder https://shop.arcdream.com/products/...campaign=buffer

Nothing "new" but a good way to get some PDF ones in a nice print version.

Observer Effect is one of my favorites, Music from a Darkened Room is a classic horror scenario and the others I'm not familiar with.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Observer Effect is a very cool and unique turn on the mythos.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Elendil004 posted:

Really solid collection of Delta Green scenarios avail for preorder https://shop.arcdream.com/products/...campaign=buffer

Nothing "new" but a good way to get some PDF ones in a nice print version.

Observer Effect is one of my favorites, Music from a Darkened Room is a classic horror scenario and the others I'm not familiar with.

My guy convinced the cell to try to solve Music From a Darkened Room with explosives. :smith:

I'm trying not to be a dumb rear end in a top hat and be all "Why are they making and selling these other books while I'm still waiting for the Endless Bounty of Books I was promised when I dropped three C-notes on the kickstarter two years ago?" and it's hard not to, even though I know it's probably unfair.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I think at this point, with the handlers the guide done that's all basically good. ArcDream consistently overdelivers late and I'm ok with that.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Elendil004 posted:

I think at this point, with the handlers the guide done that's all basically good. ArcDream consistently overdelivers late and I'm ok with that.

They are also very self-aware when it comes to this and I know for a fact that Shane feels bad about the Handler's Guide delivery date. So much so that they're holding off on launching their Wrestlenomicon Kickstarter until they feel that they've fulfilled their DG promises.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

My guy convinced the cell to try to solve Music From a Darkened Room with explosives. :smith:

I'm trying not to be a dumb rear end in a top hat and be all "Why are they making and selling these other books while I'm still waiting for the Endless Bounty of Books I was promised when I dropped three C-notes on the kickstarter two years ago?" and it's hard not to, even though I know it's probably unfair.

Music from a Darkened Room rarely ends well.

For what it's worth - this is mostly a collection of scenarios that they updated/wrote through the Kickstarter with a nice presentation. Observer Effect is great, the Star Chamber is incredibly unique, and Music from a Darkened Room is definitely the DG take on a haunted house. I have not fully read or run the others yet. So the writing, art, and layout was already done and I don't think it will take a tremendous amount more time to compile them into a book. (But I'm not an expert on printing by any means.)

I think part of the reason that the Handler's Guide took so long, because the amount of stuff in it, is that they originally planned to have it as one book with the Agent's Handbook and ended up splitting it into the separate volume. After trying to read through the 700+ page original draft, I think this was the right call but it must have complicated things. I've been reading through the pdf version and it's exceptional, so at least it was worth the wait.

From the authors' twitter and other comments, it sounds like work has been continuing on the other books while the Handler's Guide is prepped for printing. I think Control Group (the scenario set) has been largely written and playtested and that Impossible Landscapes is at least partway there. On the Pelgrane side, they are hoping to get Fall of Delta Green out by the end of the year and get printing started next year.

Unfortunately, the timeline they posted during the kickstarter was just not realistic. ArcDream and Pagan Press before them make amazing books, but it's partly because they are unwilling to release a book that's not up to their standards, regardless of how long it takes.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Sionak posted:

Music from a Darkened Room rarely ends well.

I'm running this as a one-off in a couple of months for my regular CoC group. Got any advice/tips? It'll be about an 8-hour session.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Peas and Rice posted:

I'm running this as a one-off in a couple of months for my regular CoC group. Got any advice/tips? It'll be about an 8-hour session.

That should be a lot of fun. I ran it as a ~4 hour session, and it was my first time really running DG and their first time playing it.

With 8 hours, you have enough time to really get into the history of the house (if they want to investigate that) and the many things that can go wrong inside it. I found all that to be a bit much to remember, so I made cheatsheets to help me remember during the game, which worked pretty well. If you are interested I could email/PM you a link to those.

One thing to be ready for is that - at least in my game - the players really, really didn't want to go inside the house. They were willing to observe it but did everything they could to investigate without setting a foot across the threshold. This wasn't unreasonable based on what they suspected but it caught me off guard a little bit.

Eventually I got them there by making some of the relocated items from the house carry its curse as well, so they accepted that the threat wasn't necessarily contained there. Then some of the NPCs they'd come to like got impatient and went to the house themselves. But that's one of the main things I'd consider going in - it's a justifiable choice in character that can make it hard to get to the meat of the scenario.

This was before the kickstarter, so I was using the original release rather than the one they've reworked to go with the new edition. I haven't looked in depth at what they changed.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The two scenarios for Control Group so far have been great. Blacksat is unique and really cool, and I'm running Night Vision this weekend. (I still need players for this hint hint)

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
The Delta Green mailing list found a Spanish language Delta Green fanzine.

http://playitagainsamrpg.blogspot.com/2017/12/greenbox-un-fanzine-gratuito-de-delta.html

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Here's a couple or three things I've been working on for Delta Green. Bunch of scenarios, a sourcebook, that sort of thing.

And speaking of DG, good luck everybody in the shotgun scenario contest. I figure if you make something that other people will actually play at some point, that's the important thing.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

'The beauty of the white ape woman' loving :lol:

These are great, thanks for sharing.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

mellonbread posted:

Here's a couple or three things I've been working on for Delta Green. Bunch of scenarios, a sourcebook, that sort of thing.

And speaking of DG, good luck everybody in the shotgun scenario contest. I figure if you make something that other people will actually play at some point, that's the important thing.

Can confirm, having played in and then ran the first three (the starkweather foundation trilogy) that it's a solid little adventure. I had 5 players and we had a total of 10 PCs throughout it, only 2 of the dead PCs were at my hand, the rest were friendly fire as the group turned on itself in a spectacular moment.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Down With People posted:

'The beauty of the white ape woman' loving :lol:

These are great, thanks for sharing.

Glad you approve. I ran the playtest on r/nightattheopera last week and it went great. The Agents raided the lab, shot up the skinheads, stuffed the one surviving Nazi in the trunk, and convinced the Ape Woman to get in the car by acting like SHE was the one taking THEM hostage. They spent the rest of the session at the safehouse trying to communicate with her, and going over the trinkets they found at the lab.

Dr Wu is an underappreciated gem from the Countdown book, and an interesting alternative to the typical interaction between Agents and strange artifacts. Most players are smart enough not to mess with any wizard poo poo, weird books or alien technology they find on a mission. It makes sense in context but means that all the time you spend filling the Green Box with stuff is wasted, because the characters wisely don't touch it. So here's a guy who will investigate anything the Agents drop in front of him, no matter how ill advised, and report the results. Yeah they'll probably kill him at some point doing this, but he'll at least die doing what he loves.

Elendil004 posted:

Can confirm, having played in and then ran the first three (the starkweather foundation trilogy) that it's a solid little adventure. I had 5 players and we had a total of 10 PCs throughout it, only 2 of the dead PCs were at my hand, the rest were friendly fire as the group turned on itself in a spectacular moment.

I know a guy running Beyond the Mountains of Madness right now. His plan is to recycle any surviving player characters as the immortal inner circle controlling the Starkweather Foundation in a later DG game.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
I'm stupid, in the Starkweather Foundation writeup where it's talking about Elder Thing writing and how 11111 means 'zero' and also 'the whole universe', what's the horrifying truth about the universe being expressed there?

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Down With People posted:

I'm stupid, in the Starkweather Foundation writeup where it's talking about Elder Thing writing and how 11111 means 'zero' and also 'the whole universe', what's the horrifying truth about the universe being expressed there?

That section was written by my co-creator. If I remember correctly, it's intended as a justification for why you lose maximum SAN when gaining points in Elder Cipher. That was a mechanic he really liked in Beyond the Mountains of Madness.

What the actual secret is I have no idea.

Will the Great
Dec 26, 2017

mellonbread posted:

That section was written by my co-creator. If I remember correctly, it's intended as a justification for why you lose maximum SAN when gaining points in Elder Cipher. That was a mechanic he really liked in Beyond the Mountains of Madness.

What the actual secret is I have no idea.

Co-creator here (hi folks).

Here's a hint: The Daemon-Sultan.

One interpretation of Azathoth - an interpretation used by Observer Effect if I'm not mistaken - is that the universe is nothing more than a dream of the blind idiot god. Hence, "the universe" is a synonym for "nothing". In truth this came about entirely by accident as I was considering how Elders might transcribe numerals, but I liked what it implied so I kept it.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Will the Great posted:

One interpretation of Azathoth - an interpretation used by Observer Effect if I'm not mistaken - is that the universe is nothing more than a dream of the blind idiot god. Hence, "the universe" is a synonym for "nothing". In truth this came about entirely by accident as I was considering how Elders might transcribe numerals, but I liked what it implied so I kept it.

Aye. That's also the logic behind A Night at the Opera (the module, not the open table). Just like the Starkweather Foundation and E Cell are doing a public service by collecting brains, the Servitor of Azathoth is doing a public service by collecting musicians to lull Nuclear Chaos to sleep.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Will the Great posted:

Oh man we got royalty here. What's your favorite part of the campaign?

Will the Great
Dec 26, 2017

Nessus posted:

Oh man we got royalty here. What's your favorite part of the campaign?

Of the Foundation campaign? Unquestionably Act III of AUTARCH SUNRISE, but I'm a sucker for the Hastur mythos. I'm one of those people who thinks Night Floors is a brilliant and engaging adventure.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Favorite to run was Act 2. Watching PCs solve BESTOW was great, and I had a friend text the "clue" to one of my players so they just thought it was some scam text and when they put two and two together it was great.

To play in, I played an earlier version of Act 3, but my Agent basically told the king in yellow to gently caress off and only lost a few SAN for it, so he's seen Hastur in full glory and was like "meh, I lost more to that Shoggoth (a full 20)."

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Congratulations Elendil004 for winning the shotgun scenario contest with Operation STOP REPO! Happy New Year's Eve!

Adventure here: http://fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/operation-stop-repo

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 31, 2017

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I'd like to thank the academy, and jesus...just kidding, big ups to my playtesters, at least one of whom is a poster here and died when someone threw binary explosives at his vehicle in an arby's parking lot.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I'd like to invite everyone to contribute to the first annual /r/nightattheopera Scenario Contest. This contest requires that folks build a scenario around a selection from a list of themes/features, so it should make for interesting stuff.

More information in the link below. Excited to see what folks drum up!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QsWZHrDCkoBhTMAaXUjrVFSvjq_F58Xl1f3Bmv-MyHk/edit?usp=sharing

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Congratulations! Who got second and third?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Kavak posted:

Congratulations! Who got second and third?

2nd place (shared) - Death is No Parenthesis by William Schar
2nd place (shared) - Fleur de Vie by Lex

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Congratulations Elendil! I do have to say that that scenario idea is very unique and innovative.

___

On a separate note, has anyone tried to run DG using Gumshoe, either with the Fall of DG rules or some kind of hack when it wasn't available yet?

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Authorship for the rest of the 2017 entries has been revealed.

Doesn't look like vote counts are up. We may never know if we all got just one (our own) like last year.

:iiam:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Control Group cover looking good. Kinda wish they went with one themes from the two scenarios we already know about though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Elendil004 posted:

Control Group cover looking good. Kinda wish they went with one themes from the two scenarios we already know about though.

It's a shame they didn't decide to go with something from BLACKSAT, because that scenario is a loving trip

(Favorite quote from the playtest pdf: "reduce all Pilot rolls by -20%, since the shuttle was not built to be flown while on fire.")

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's a shame they didn't decide to go with something from BLACKSAT, because that scenario is a loving trip

(Favorite quote from the playtest pdf: "reduce all Pilot rolls by -20%, since the shuttle was not built to be flown while on fire.")

That happened in my playtest of BLACKSAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Since I can't tell any of my players about this, I'm telling you all: I'm finally running In Media Res this weekend, and it's gonna be a trip.

The players have no idea what they're playing (they're all experienced CoC players, so it won't be new to them). We'll have a lighting and sound rig in the room all set up, and they'll walk in, take their places around a table. Each one will have a shopping bag with s prison safety vest, their nametag, and their character sheet in it (and two characters get weapons at the beginning - the most "hack and slash" player is starting with the gun.) Then we'll go for a couple of hours and see how it plays out. There's a soundtrack for the major events, and each individual flashback, which I'm considering doing by pausing the action and roleplaying with each player individually, a little apart from the group, so everyone can still hear.

I'll take pictures and report.