Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dick Burglar posted:

You left out characters in the defense category. I know this is intentional, because defense heroes are kind of poo poo, but your statement isn't really true if you're just going to ignore one of four categories.

Alternatively you're combining attack and defense into "DPS" category, but that's not a real category.

Yeah its entirely on purpose, every hero i listed performs a different role and has transferable skills to other heroes in that role. Note that when i say role, i dont mean categories. Higher rank teams dont use offence or defence, so if youre starting out you might as well start by trying the standard for everything and deviate from there.

Junkrat is fun but i think he doesnt have much crossover with other heroes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

If y'all put half as much effort into playing the game as you do about posting about one-trick Hanzos you'd probably gain ELO much easier.

One-trick Hanzos make the act of playing Overwatch less enjoyable than the act of doing anything else, whereas posting is the bee's knees and has been since the days of ARPANET.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

So I’ve just tried Moira and she seems fun/good. I really like her heal/death ball but her ult feels really unsatisfying to use.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Dugong posted:

So I’ve just tried Moira and she seems fun/good. I really like her heal/death ball but her ult feels really unsatisfying to use.

I think the beam needs to be a tad bit wider, as it is there are a lot of times where you think you have it trained on someone but you dont, and that makes it feel like its doing almost no damage.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Dugong posted:

It's definitely situational since it's most effective when your team is between you and the enemy team in a hallway with no flankers trying to kill you.

Think of it as less of a 'oh poo poo' button like the other healers and more of a pressure applying ability since it has a long duration and routs most enemies behind whatever point they're trying to hold.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Bluedeanie posted:

I think the beam needs to be a tad bit wider, as it is there are a lot of times where you think you have it trained on someone but you dont, and that makes it feel like its doing almost no damage.

Zarya has this problem to a lesser extent, there isn't very much (non-auditory) feedback for hitting someone with your beam. It's much worse with Moira since the beam is so large it obscures most of your screen as well as enemy healthbars which is what I usually use to confirm that I'm burning someone as Zarya.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Yeah I mean in terms of output but also actual feel using the ult. There seems to be next to no feedback for the impact the ability is causing. Most of the time I wish the ult would end a bit earlier so I can reposition.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I got the best POTG in my Overwatch career this afternoon. Behold an enemy Junkrat help me pull off the greatest Reinhardt charge.

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

moira's ult is incredibly underwhelming. i feel like fading out of a grav and using it on your team is the only satisfactory use i've found for it, in which case i'd rather be zen and trans.

i guess it could be a good initiator for a fight too when your team is being skittish, but again, i'd rather be mercy and valk to force my team to push in.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Wildtortilla posted:

I got the best POTG in my Overwatch career this afternoon. Behold an enemy Junkrat help me pull off the greatest Reinhardt charge.

So good pro click

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
you guys who think moiras ult sucks prob just should work on tracking cuz it is great at deleting heroes. Either hit 3-4 of them at once on the ground or use it to kill ulting mercy and still have some left to do a few hundred damage to each of their tanks.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

you guys who think moiras ult sucks prob just should work on tracking cuz it is great at deleting heroes. Either hit 3-4 of them at once on the ground or use it to kill ulting mercy and still have some left to do a few hundred damage to each of their tanks.
Yeah, it's a fantastic initiation tool partly because it allows you to delete supports hiding behind barriers while simultaneously healing your team. It can do the work of a flanker plus a little more.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Eeeeh...

It heals twice as fast as it damages, and works on all the allies it hits, so you should focus on that, but it is good for wiping the <200hp heroes. But it only damages one enemy at a time, so not as good during into a Graviton Surge. Also good to hit Rein or Orissa through their shield. But the best thing about it is how often it charges.

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

my tracking is fine. i just don't use her ult for damage, maybe that's why i find it underwhelming. i mostly just ult to keep a tank alive when my orb isn't gonna cut it

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Extra Tasty posted:

my tracking is fine. i just don't use her ult for damage, maybe that's why i find it underwhelming. i mostly just ult to keep a tank alive when my orb isn't gonna cut it
Given how quickly it charges, you should feel free to bust coalescence out in any situation that might swing a fight. The damage is underwhelming, but if it gets you a key pick while topping off your team, that's an ult well used.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That feel when you decide your current game is your last and then it rneds and you're 50 xp from leveling up

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

That was fun.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea I think something's weird with the way they track that stat or else the name is misleading. the statistics page lists my best streak as 68 but looking at the stats on the overview page, my best kill streak across all seasons there is 27 as soldier. so where is the 68 coming from?

only explanation I can think of besides it being broken is that this is keeping track across rounds and map stages of koth, contrary to how it works elsewhere

have you played against AI? for some reason that feeds into your overall stats.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

Eeeeh...

It heals twice as fast as it damages, and works on all the allies it hits, so you should focus on that, but it is good for wiping the <200hp heroes. But it only damages one enemy at a time, so not as good during into a Graviton Surge. Also good to hit Rein or Orissa through their shield. But the best thing about it is how often it charges.

Her beam absolutely pierces enemy targets.

Moira's ult is mostly lackluster; the main strength of Moira's ult is that it charges so quickly. It should be the first ult on the field at the start of a match before anyone can get theirs, short of maybe Sombra, and should simply be used as liberally as possible. It makes a pretty decent initiator.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 27, 2017

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Moira ult lets you damage pharah at long range really easily. Not a bad use for it if the enemy pharah moves away from cover.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Her ult is countered by a half dozen abilities, not to mention that it prevents her from shifting out of danger or using balls for ten secs. I'm really not a fan. Let me toggle out of it early to shift/orb and i'd like it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Blue Caboose posted:

have you played against AI? for some reason that feeds into your overall stats.

I have but would it really affect your competitive stats? that's weird if so

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

got any sevens posted:

Her ult is countered by a half dozen abilities, not to mention that it prevents her from shifting out of danger or using balls for ten secs. I'm really not a fan. Let me toggle out of it early to shift/orb and i'd like it.

I mean, every channeled ult is 'countered' by the same abilities. Moira's isn't any exception, and optimal use of the ult involves not being in the range of any of those things.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Manatee Cannon posted:

I have but would it really affect your competitive stats? that's weird if so

If you're just looking at "longest killstreak" in overall stats, then play with AI counts, but if you're looking in all competitive seasons then maybe you hit a glitch? 68 elims in a single half is... insane. I might argue impossible against actual competition.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Maple Leaf posted:

That was fun.
I've had a drop like that before. My condolences.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I had 430000 healing in 6 minutes as torb in season 1.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Blue Caboose posted:

If you're just looking at "longest killstreak" in overall stats, then play with AI counts, but if you're looking in all competitive seasons then maybe you hit a glitch? 68 elims in a single half is... insane. I might argue impossible against actual competition.

I was looking at the all competitive seasons option in statistics and yea I really don't think I've ever actually done that. even if it's keeping track of your kills across rounds (which I know has cut off my kill streaks in the past), that seems really unlikely

especially since that other stat showing the most I've done in one life as a hero is 27 means it'd have to be across at least 3 rounds of control. maybe it'd also include going back to the spawn and swapping off without dying but idk

e: if you check a specific hero the wording for the kill streak stat is different. I'm not sure why or if that means anything tho

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 27, 2017

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Wildtortilla posted:

You should submit this to Kotaku's highlight reel, it's the kinda bonkers rear end kills they like to showcase on there.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
so i fired this up in the first time in 5 months for the loot boxes and the very first thing i'm greeted with in game is someone asking someone else for hanzo, with that person replying no, because it's all they play. so i afked out. see you in 5 months game!

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Relin posted:

so i fired this up in the first time in 5 months for the loot boxes and the very first thing i'm greeted with in game is someone asking someone else for hanzo, with that person replying no, because it's all they play. so i afked out. see you in 5 months game!

Unless they create a hero that's basically Hanzo#2, this will always happen in QP.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Thor-Stryker posted:

Unless they create a hero that's basically Hanzo#2, this will always happen in QP.

Make a nearly identical character with arrows that heal teammates if you shoot them. Extra healing for headshots.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Just make Hanzo and widow actually be a kind of disguised spectator mode. They are completely invisible and no one can hear them and they do 0 damage. Choosing either hero removes you from the team and frees the hero slot fot another player. Maybe the game could generate ragdolls and fake killfeeds from time to time. See how long it takes until someone notices. (never)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Make a nearly identical character with arrows that heal teammates if you shoot them. Extra healing for headshots.

Ana?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Wildtortilla posted:

That might be one of the best POTGs I've seen, period.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

That might be one of the best POTGs I've seen, period.

I think so too. I err on the side of being humble, please let me try this again:

This play of the game featuring me slamming an enemy Pharah out of the air is not only one of the best things I've experienced in this game it's one of the best things I've ever seen come from the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojHhgblYQuI

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Speaking of one-trick snipers, I'd like to give a special shout-out to the Widow last night who sat on the roof of Hanamura A waiting for someone to shoot, and ignoring my desperate duel with the Reinhardt capturing the point under her feet.

She then spent the rest of the game sitting on the building outside Hanamura B with 12 HP, plinking at people, and not wondering whether the fact that the enemy never bothered to do anything about her indicated anything about her performance.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Speaking of one-trick snipers, I'd like to give a special shout-out to the Widow last night who sat on the roof of Hanamura A waiting for someone to shoot, and ignoring my desperate duel with the Reinhardt capturing the point under her feet.

She then spent the rest of the game sitting on the building outside Hanamura B with 12 HP, plinking at people, and not wondering whether the fact that the enemy never bothered to do anything about her indicated anything about her performance.

this is really when you know a widow is poo poo. I am notorious(infamous) for widow diving especially if she's good ill try to keep her out of the match with constant harassment and suicide dives intending to at least take her out of the fight if not give my life to end hers...a bad widow I wont even look at her.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

AkumaHokoru posted:

this is really when you know a widow is poo poo. I am notorious(infamous) for widow diving especially if she's good ill try to keep her out of the match with constant harassment and suicide dives intending to at least take her out of the fight if not give my life to end hers...a bad widow I wont even look at her.
Yeah. There have been many games in which I've purposefully left the widow alone, because I didn't want to pressure her into switching to something that would actually benefit her team.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Its like in random mode when the attack team gets bastions and torbs - i'll rush forward to get killed if i'm them, but if my teammates just hang in the back so they dont die i just leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

got any sevens posted:

Its like in random mode when the attack team gets bastions and torbs - i'll rush forward to get killed if i'm them, but if my teammates just hang in the back so they dont die i just leave

If only I could do that for the 51%WR Torbs that appear in comp. Don't worry guys, apparently, they contribute as much as everyone else on the team! Guarding those flanks next to the spawn while everyone else gets thrown into the grinder.