Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

LionArcher posted:

Is the 1 plus 5t water resistant?

No the oneplus phones are not water or dust resistant in the slightest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So I bought a Pixel 2 from Target and transferred my number over to Verizon. It just so happened that I was gifted a Pixel 2 today also!

If I return the Pixel 2, does that cancel my service (and this, lose my number?)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

IuniusBrutus posted:

So I bought a Pixel 2 from Target and transferred my number over to Verizon. It just so happened that I was gifted a Pixel 2 today also!

If I return the Pixel 2, does that cancel my service (and this, lose my number?)

You could sell the gifted Pixel, I guess. Unless there's reasons not to.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LionArcher posted:

Good to know. Again, waterproofing is the most important, followed by headphone jack

If you're looking for a water resistant flagship phone with a headphone jack you'll want to take a look at the Note 8.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Desk Lamp posted:

If you're looking for a water resistant flagship phone with a headphone jack you'll want to take a look at the Note 8.

Don’t want to pay note 8 price

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LionArcher posted:

Don’t want to pay note 8 price

If you're in the US the Note regularly goes for sale with up to $300.00 off. Failing that, you can either step down to the Galaxy S8 or give up the headphone jack and go for the Pixel 2.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

LG V30 is also water resistant with a headphone jack. No idea if it still has the curse of LG on it though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wacky Delly posted:

LG V30 is also water resistant with a headphone jack. No idea if it still has the curse of LG on it though.

Lol

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

its all nice on rice posted:

Something seems to be wrong with my S8+ screen. There is a single line of light going down the left side of it, along the "edge."
I was messing around with some settings last night after an update, and everything was fine with it. When I woke up, the light was there. I reset the phone, turned off edge light, turned off bixby, changed screen resolution, but it's always there, even on startup. 98% of the time it's white, but on power up the phone it's purple.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Screen's broken. This happened to my friend's screen when it cracked. Bright purple line straight down.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Desk Lamp posted:

If you're in the US the Note regularly goes for sale with up to $300.00 off. Failing that, you can either step down to the Galaxy S8 or give up the headphone jack and go for the Pixel 2.

Didn’t know that. I’ll keep an eye out

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

I'm in the process of factory resetting my Pixel 2 XL because I'm experiencing a mic/speakerphone mic issue similar to what's been posted about before, but it only happens with phone calls. If I use an audio recorder or talk on Skype, both the mic and speakerphone mic work fine. It only cuts out when it's with phone calls.

Anyone deal with this specifically?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Merry Christmas phone nerds

Did a reset after 8.1 oddities, because hell, it's Xmas and all that

Really impressed how good the backup and restore is on a Pixel these days, and especially how many apps settings were preserved

Of the 100 or so apps the half a dozen that didn't get done automatically, all had their own bespoke backup to a file, or mystery cloud service so were easy anyway

Most didn't even need signing in again

At this point the only annoying thing about the whole process is any mail accounts outside of Gmail, I do wish there was a good way of backing them up

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I mean, it won't explode like the note, and the v20 was very good.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

I mean, it won't explode like the note, and the v20 was very good.

quote:

The [bootloop] lawsuit was expanded the following month to include the G5, Nexus 5X, and V20.

:thunk:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

It was their best nonfunctional piece of garbage that year. If you've got $600 to spend on something that won't outlast the warranty there's really no better option.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Anyone know why I can't all the sudden send a text message to one of my contacts? It fails every time I try to send something. Only the one contract I'm having issue with.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

wandler20 posted:

Anyone know why I can't all the sudden send a text message to one of my contacts? It fails every time I try to send something. Only the one contract I'm having issue with.

Try firing one off through Google Voice (or from Messages if you normally text through GV), occasionally there might be some routing issues but by occasionally I mean rare and short-lived.

Afaik you can't block someone's SMS in a fashion that says they fail, either.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I had a problem like that once when a non-number character was accidentally added to the number. I think I was going to go in and expand it to a group message but backed out part of the way through, it I had edited the number.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I didn't hear of any mass reports of them boot looping. :shrug:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

wandler20 posted:

If you are using the Google messages app. Clear it's cache and data. I've seen it do this a few times on multiple phones. That always fixed it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

I didn't hear of any mass reports of them boot looping. :shrug:

Now you have

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Stupid question: I have an older nexus I basically only use to load movies onto for flights.

Last time I loaded it I had to do *something* (I forget what) to put it into some sort of USB mode.

Then I'd plug it into OSX via USB, and use the Android File Transfer tool to drag and drop stuff onto it.

Does this ring a bell for anyone? Can't remember how to get to that menu.

Edit: it popped up as I type that post.

I choose to thank Blue Train.

But is there a simple app to do this over Bluetooth?

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 26, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

maskenfreiheit posted:

Stupid question: I have an older nexus I basically only use to load movies onto for flights.

Last time I loaded it I had to do *something* (I forget what) to put it into some sort of USB mode.

Then I'd plug it into OSX via USB, and use the Android File Transfer tool to drag and drop stuff onto it.

Does this ring a bell for anyone? Can't remember how to get to that menu.

Edit: it popped up as I type that post.

I choose to thank Blue Train.

But is there a simple app to do this over Bluetooth?

You've got some options. You could try to get SMB sharing to work though I never have been successful with Android and post-Lion OS X/macOS. You could use Droid NAS which works the other direction, makes your phone a location that the Mac can connect to. That has consistently worked for me but the speeds are... not great. Lastly, you have the solution that you've settled on and works the best (not that I've tried it since got an all USB-C Mac and had a USB-C Pixel, it might not work at all now) where you connect it to the computer and use AFT to move files.

The step you were looking for should always pop up in a notification to change the USB mode and if it doesn't, it should be under connected devices in Settings (just search for USB).

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I prefer http://www.teamandroid.com/2017/03/19/handshaker-android-files-transfer-mac/ to Android File Transfer.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

stevewm posted:

If you are using the Google messages app. Clear it's cache and data. I've seen it do this a few times on multiple phones. That always fixed it.

This fixed it. Thank you.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Where the heck is Photoshop android - the version I had on my old phone which had a load of features from the desktop program? All I can find in play store now are a bunch of different 'easy use' photoshop apps from Adobe... All of which seem extremely limited. The version I'm talking about was a paid app.

e: it was Photoshop Touch, found it in my purchase history. Apparently it's not compatible with 8.1 :( Does anyone know of anything with similar capabilities to the original app? These new Adobe offerings are shite

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 26, 2017

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
So now that target has extended their $250 gift card with a pixel 2, on top of the $300 credit with verizon, is there any reason I shouldn't go that route if I want to upgrade from my old Droid turbo? I would rather have an unlocked phone straight from Google, but effectively $550 off seems ridiculous to pass up.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

El Grillo posted:

Where the heck is Photoshop android - the version I had on my old phone which had a load of features from the desktop program? All I can find in play store now are a bunch of different 'easy use' photoshop apps from Adobe... All of which seem extremely limited. The version I'm talking about was a paid app.

e: it was Photoshop Touch, found it in my purchase history. Apparently it's not compatible with 8.1 :( Does anyone know of anything with similar capabilities to the original app? These new Adobe offerings are shite

It's not just that it's not compatible yet, it's that Adobe discontinued the product back in 2015. :(

ADolan
Apr 8, 2008

ROJO posted:

So now that target has extended their $250 gift card with a pixel 2, on top of the $300 credit with verizon, is there any reason I shouldn't go that route if I want to upgrade from my old Droid turbo? I would rather have an unlocked phone straight from Google, but effectively $550 off seems ridiculous to pass up.

I too am thinking about this deal coming from a Droid Turbo 2 on Verizon. Main things I think I'll miss are the expandable storage (I have a lot of music downloaded on my 128gb microsd because of Verizon's limited data) and the headphone jack. Also my car is really old and has no Bluetooth (only aux through aftermarket FM receiver) so will need another solution for that.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

El Grillo posted:

Most photo nerds I know use Snapseed, myself included. I don't know how it compares to Photoshop for Android since I never used that, but it's a very full featured app.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Snapseed is nothing like Photoshop, and is more comparable to a digital darkroom like Lightroom (except obviously not nearly as good).

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

ADolan posted:

I too am thinking about this deal coming from a Droid Turbo 2 on Verizon. Main things I think I'll miss are the expandable storage (I have a lot of music downloaded on my 128gb microsd because of Verizon's limited data) and the headphone jack. Also my car is really old and has no Bluetooth (only aux through aftermarket FM receiver) so will need another solution for that.

Yeah the storage isn't a huge issue for me (only at 36GB on my turbo), so it seems like a no brainer. Wish there was a headphone jack, but honestly I rarely use headphones with my phone. It will be nice to have a fresh phone again.

Does anyone have experience with the cloth cases from Google? I love the cloth case on my 2017 Nexus 7 and would definitely go that route again if they quality. I care more about extra grip than I do drop protection.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Yeah, gently caress Adobe for discontinuing Touch, it was probably my favourite app despite occasional jankiness.

Although tbf all I need at the moment is something to allow me to add top and bottom borders to a panorama photo so I can fit more of it on Instagram :banjo:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

ROJO posted:

Does anyone have experience with the cloth cases from Google? I love the cloth case on my 2017 Nexus 7 and would definitely go that route again if they quality. I care more about extra grip than I do drop protection.

my sister got an orange one for her pixel 2 about 5 days ago and it feels good but it's already dirty as poo poo

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Probably going to switch from Cricket to T-Mobile, Cricket has really been suffering from sluggishness/congestion and it's driving me up the god drat wall.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I got a black cloth case a week after Thanksgiving. I haven't had any trouble with it. It doesn't stand out all that much, but it's got a nice feel and grip to it.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Qylvaran posted:

I got a black cloth case a week after Thanksgiving. I haven't had any trouble with it. It doesn't stand out all that much, but it's got a nice feel and grip to it.

Yeah, I would definitely go with black because of the dirt issue. Thanks for the help!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ADolan posted:

They make little bluetooth receivers that plug into your aux jack, this seems like one of the highest rated ones on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSUWCZ0

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone having problems with the Pixel 2 cameras sometimes corrupting an image when you first open it to shoot a super quick picture? It's only happened once or twice in the month and a half I've owned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I was taking photos with my 1st gen Moto and it suddenly restarted.

When it finished booting up, the previous 10mins of photos had disappeared.

They aren't in Google Photos.

I connected it to my PC and searched the DCIM folder and that chunk of photos is missing.

Any thoughts, or am I SOL?