Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I answered your question why it was a corporate message. What Rose loves is the franchise, so she saves part of it. It's a message to love Star WarsTM.

Rose may be a corporatist herself, and it may be a de facto endorsement of the already existing franchise, but there is nothing inherently "corporate" (ie. pro-capitalist) about that message. Or centrist, for that matter. It's an apolitical bromide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Ferrinus posted:

Eh, debatable. Firstly it’s not clear that the dreadnought could have fired with lethal force from that range while also keeping up in the chase. Second, if it could... they’d have still had a full size bomber wing with which to take it down.

The FO would've just eviscerated the bombers based on how many got through when the Resistance had a tangible, major advantage.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

I think it’s pretty rare that your doomed-anyway, staffed-by-one-person-exactly capital ship is just sitting within point blank range of the enemy capital ship and not being fired upon while it charges its hyperdrive.

We know that lightspeed kamikazes by smaller ships are not really effective from that scene at the end of Rogue One with the destroyers jumping in. So you probably need a lot of mass and close initial distance to do really dramatic damage and if you can safely reach and sit in that range under normal circumstances you’re probably winning a conventional battle and should just sit tight and keep firing your lasers.
Also it's Star Wars. Does it make sense that a planet-sized superweapon would have a weakspot that, if targeted by a single shot from a conventional fighter, would cause the entire thing to explode? No, it's loving stupid. But you accept that and enjoy the film.

Of course Rogue One retcons this but you can pick plenty of problems in its explanation too.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

My wife and I saw TLJ again today and the whole cloaking thing is handled very weirdly. The first mention of cloaking comes from Del Toro when he’s clicking away on a keypad entering Snoke’s ship, he says “now we’ll be off their scopes”, then when the rebel transports are taking off you hear someone say almost the exact same line as BDT. Then when Poe wakes up, what Leia explains isn’t anything to do with a cloaking device, it’s “they’re not monitoring for small ships”. Furthermore, what Del Toro overhears Poe say isn’t anything to do with a cloak, it’s that the rebels are loading transports. Period.

So the info BDT gave to the empire is that the rebels were launching transports, and that’s it. As far as Leia explains to Poe, Holdo’s plan was...I guess the recognition that the empire wasn’t on the lookout for transport vessels? Which is extraordinarily odd because the same transports appear on the little computer screens on Hux’s ship every time we see one of the rebel ships lose their fuel and die. They’re also clearly visible out in space from the bridge. Like, in the shots.

It’s...odd. Also watching ANH right now and when Vader launches the fighters during the Death Star attack, red leader says, “fighters incoming” followed by Luke being all, “they’re not appearing on our scopes!” And then red leader telling everyone to “pick up your visual scanning”. So I suppose TIE fighters...naturally cloak?

On the whole I was wrong earlier in the thread about all the cloaking stuff, but after seeing it again it’s even more confusing

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Waffles Inc. posted:

It’s...odd. Also watching ANH right now and when Vader launches the fighters during the Death Star attack, red leader says, “fighters incoming” followed by Luke being all, “they’re not appearing on our scopes!” And then red leader telling everyone to “pick up your visual scanning”. So I suppose TIE fighters...naturally cloak?

The nature and power of sensor technology in the Star Wars franchise has always been weird and insane. Imperial capital ships, per Episode V, apparently lack the ability to detect that another ship has attached itself to the ship's superstructure.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The movie is basically about how people relate to Star Wars the franchise, for example when Luke Skywalker talks about himself as a fictional character.

A disillusioned character talk about how terrible and insubstantial the [prequel] movies are, while the hopeful admirer counters that they should go back to them. The idea of [a religion] giving you power to move rocks is dismissed as shallow and stupid, [and] it turns out that [you don't need the religion to move the rocks]. The villain wants to [destroy the OT and prequels, which he hates, whereas Luke wants to let them fade away as their time has passed, however both learn that you cannot make a clean break from the past even if you do not want it to dictate the future]. When everyone keeps talking about how [Luke is] the spark that will [ignite interest and save the resistance/franchise, they learn that while the symbols of the past can distract and fascinate, they alone are not enough to inspire change. Concrete action and bold leadership are needed as well, or everyone dies in a (creatively) barren wasteland once the novelty of old imagery fades away.]
Edited for alternative reading.

just another fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 27, 2017

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

HannibalBarca posted:

The nature and power of sensor technology in the Star Wars franchise has always been weird and insane. Imperial capital ships, per Episode V, apparently lack the ability to detect that another ship has attached itself to the ship's superstructure.

Even as late as the FO there’s a person on the bridge looking through a submarine periscope, too. Also once Vader launches his fighters during the Death Star battle the laser turrets stop firing until Luke’s trench run, its even commented upon. I love how shipboard batteries are all manually fired and apparently have a hard enough time distinguishing targets that when Vader is out they don’t even take the chance to fire

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Bruceski posted:

It's the conflict between the movie telling a story, and some fans trying to define a reality. Those two are never gonna fit comfortably.

If the context and narrative are coherent, fans won’t try to “define the reality” because it will have been defined for them in-universe. But coherent context and narrative are both lacking in this film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

How come it made perfect sense to me

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Did anyone not do a spit-take when they saw Leia's corpse in space use the force to pull herself back, because I was laughing my rear end off in disbelief

THAT WAS AWFUL, CMON GUYS. poo poo, let Poe or Finn do something, give em 2 minutes to shine with a daring rescue

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Did anyone not do a spit-take when they saw Leia's corpse in space use the force to pull herself back, because I was laughing my rear end off in disbelief

THAT WAS AWFUL, CMON GUYS. poo poo, let Poe or Finn do something, give em 2 minutes to shine with a daring rescue

That was actually one of the moments I though fit most with the OT.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Dre2Dee2 posted:

It was cool I think OP

Although because of poor Carrie Fisher I wish they’d killed Leia in this movie so the next one doesn’t have to start with a funeral or something

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Waffles Inc. posted:

It had the range to shoot from space to the planet powerfully enough to leave a mushroom cloud visible in space

And if the FO fighters were too far out of range to be supported, why would the rebel ones be any different?

Yeah, but it was standing still then. Also, it's in keeping with the rest of the movies that rebel fighters are more capable of independent operation - TIEs don't have hyperdrives, require the pilot to wear a helmet because they lack internal life support, etc.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Waffles Inc. posted:

It was cool I think OP

Although because of poor Carrie Fisher I wish they’d killed Leia in this movie so the next one doesn’t have to start with a funeral or something

I hope they cover her death in the title crawl of IX. "Leia died on the way home to her home planet."

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I hope they cover her death in the title crawl of IX. "Leia died on the way home to her home planet."

Her home planet doesn't exist anymore. :ssh:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Chucat posted:

The FO would've just eviscerated the bombers based on how many got through when the Resistance had a tangible, major advantage.

They didn't have a tangible, major advantage at any point in the movie. The opening scene was them getting caught as they attempted to evacuate and flee.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah, but it was standing still then. Also, it's in keeping with the rest of the movies that rebel fighters are more capable of independent operation - TIEs don't have hyperdrives, require the pilot to wear a helmet because they lack internal life support, etc.

Kylo’s seemed fine and he had to turn back too. His seemed as advanced as the rebel ships.

Sure seems like if the bombers got torn to shreds by a squad of ties launched from just the dreadnaught itself that Kylo, the dreadnaught ties and those of the other star destroyers would be more than enough. Who knows tho

Ferrinus posted:

They didn't have a tangible, major advantage at any point in the movie. The opening scene was them getting caught as they attempted to evacuate and flee.

The entire reason for Poe’s crank call is to buy time, time that he uses to charge up his engines in order to blitz the towers that would have blown the bombers away. That’s a huge advantage

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 27, 2017

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Waffles Inc. posted:

Kylo’s seemed fine and he had to turn back too. His seemed as advanced as the rebel ships.

Sure seems like if the bombers got torn to shreds by a squad of ties launched from just the dreadnaught itself that Kylo, the dreadnaught ties and those of the other star destroyers would be more than enough. Who knows tho

No one ever crosses the galaxy on their personal TIE. I think the imperial fighters are all tethered to support platforms as a matter of course. I guess it's possible that Luke's was an old model X-wing and the new ones have TIE-esque range restrictions as a cost-saving measure but there's not much reason to draw that conclusion.

quote:

The entire reason for Poe’s crank call is to buy time, time that he uses to charge up his engines in order to blitz the towers that would have blown the bombers away. That’s a huge advantage

Yeah, but one that would've been preserved across hyperjumps. Poe had already blitzed most of the deck post-prank call when he was ordered to retreat.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Am I the only one who was amused that Force Yoda was a puppet instead of the CG type Yoda from the prequels?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah, but one that would've been preserved across hyperjumps. Poe had already blitzed most of the deck post-prank call when he was ordered to retreat.

Totally fair point

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I know, it would be awesome to see that kind of blatant slip-up haha

Also I got sad when they called up Maz on the space phone about a code cracker after 10 minutes of walking around, and she's with a rocket pack fighting some dudes and all I could think was "wow, that looks way more exciting than the movie im watching right now"

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Leia being "buried" in the rubble of Alderaan could be a pretty good beginning for Episode IX.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
or they could toss her in a trash compacter

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I know, it would be awesome to see that kind of blatant slip-up haha

Also I got sad when they called up Maz on the space phone about a code cracker after 10 minutes of walking around, and she's with a rocket pack fighting some dudes and all I could think was "wow, that looks way more exciting than the movie im watching right now"

I like your idea of covering it in the crawl though, we don't need a funeral scene or CGI Leia to begin the movie.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Ferrinus posted:

The fighters were also late in scrambling iirc, so the bombers had more time to get there, whereas if they tried to bomb the dreadnought after the hyperspace jump/pursuit, the FO probably would've realized their ship lacked close range support and just deployed fighters around it or something.

The bombers just seemed like absolute garbage though so I dunno.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gatts posted:

Am I the only one who was amused that Force Yoda was a puppet instead of the CG type Yoda from the prequels?

Although he looked good in the prequels (and I think changing him from a puppet to CG in the Phantom Menace blu-ray was a good idea), I feel like CG Yoda would've looked out of place if he'd been used.

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

What exactly is the resistance's goal? I assumed their best case was to depose Snoke and somehow seize control of the First Order. You know, like how revolutions do? So Rey managed to convince Kylo Ren into rejoining the good side and they brought down Snoke.

What the hell did she WANT to happen? Did she just want to run out, blasters blazing, steal a ship then do it again next week once they've organized a new emperor? Like, how is it turning evil for Kylo Ren to recognize the power vacuum they just created and take advantage of his legitimacy to rule?

What better possible arrangement could Rey have for restoring the Jedi Order than being handed the right hand position to the rightful emperor, who has already proven his sympathy to her?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Chucat posted:

The fighters were also late in scrambling iirc, so the bombers had more time to get there, whereas if they tried to bomb the dreadnought after the hyperspace jump/pursuit, the FO probably would've realized their ship lacked close range support and just deployed fighters around it or something.

The bombers just seemed like absolute garbage though so I dunno.

The FO launched fighters at Poe when he was still flying around being an rear end in a top hat, I think, not after the bombers turned up.

Now, on the balance, it was PROBABLY better to kill the dreadnaught before rather than after the jump, but it's not actually clear cut and it's not like anybody on the Resistance's side knew they'd be getting followed through hyperspace at all.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Someone please overdub Poe flying at the Dreadnought with "LEEROOOY JENNNKINS"

tia

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MixMastaTJ posted:

What exactly is the resistance's goal? I assumed their best case was to depose Snoke and somehow seize control of the First Order. You know, like how revolutions do? So Rey managed to convince Kylo Ren into rejoining the good side and they brought down Snoke.

What the hell did she WANT to happen? Did she just want to run out, blasters blazing, steal a ship then do it again next week once they've organized a new emperor? Like, how is it turning evil for Kylo Ren to recognize the power vacuum they just created and take advantage of his legitimacy to rule?

What better possible arrangement could Rey have for restoring the Jedi Order than being handed the right hand position to the rightful emperor, who has already proven his sympathy to her?

kylo explicitly says he wants to destroy the institutions of the past--including the jedi--so uh, no i don't agree that rey could've more easily restored the jedi order by joining him

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm reminded of the Dark Empire comics, in which Luke joins the Emperor's clone as his new apprentice with the intention of bringing him down from within, but realises that the dark side will always corrupt you, even when you get into it with the best intentions (which was what happened in the prequels a decade after these comics were published - there's a possibly apocryphal story that Lucas said they were his favourite EU stories; I don't know if that's true or not but they're pretty close to what I imagine a Lucas sequel trilogy would have looked like if he'd done it in the early 90s).

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

Brother Entropy posted:

kylo explicitly says he wants to destroy the institutions of the past--including the jedi--so uh, no i don't agree that rey could've more easily restored the jedi order by joining him

Isn't that also what both her and Luke concluded? That the restoration of the Jedi Order meant letting go of past institutions? Rey left the island after looking into the dark side and finding out her fear was pointless. Luke decided to burn the original Jedi texts so that the order could never be rebuilt.

I get that Kylo was dramatic but it still seems like Rey's best option was to try working with Kylo. Otherwise, why even show up?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

You wanna really subvert my expectations? I would never in a million years bet Disney would have the guts to have Hux poison Kylo Ren, while Rey is sentenced to space jail for manslaughter because of accidental force boulder dropping.

Carrie Fisher's daughter, whats-her-name, leads the 6 rebels who are left against Hux's First Order. They meet eye to eye, and fall in love. Kid Fisher betrayed the 2 rebels left, and they create a new galactic Empire that provides universal healthcare for all. They have a child who is half boy, half girl, half dark, half light. End scene.... or IS IT?

Find out in Episode X: I WAS MY OWN WORST ENEMY

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MixMastaTJ posted:

The Resistance wasn't a revolution; up until part way through TFA they were a paramilitary organisation loosely associated with the legitimate government of the galaxy (the Republic). After that they were just trying to not die.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Ferrinus posted:

The FO launched fighters at Poe when he was still flying around being an rear end in a top hat, I think, not after the bombers turned up.

Now, on the balance, it was PROBABLY better to kill the dreadnaught before rather than after the jump, but it's not actually clear cut and it's not like anybody on the Resistance's side knew they'd be getting followed through hyperspace at all.
Rose knew they could be followed through hyperspace

she just kinda forgot until it gave her the chance to go to a casino

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I'm willing to bet any money the disney committee will double down on OT material for episode IX after all the "backlash" TLJ has gotten.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Episode IX: Return of the Profitsss

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
if ep ix starts with a loathsome alien gangster who has kidnapped one of the leads prepare for the lamest movie of your life

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Episode IX: The Legend of Luke's Ghost

His ghost pulls up his old X-wing and he rides with R2 as he shoots a proton torpedo in the Super Planet Battering Ram Star Killer II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Kevin Palpatine posted:

if ep ix starts with a loathsome alien gangster who has kidnapped one of the leads prepare for the lamest movie of your life

As if Disney would bother to make a major character an alien

• Locked thread