Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Does this seem like a food allergy?

My cat Sam has been having little skin issues for the past three or four months. A hot spot and some inter-digit infections that were cleared up with Convenia injections at the vet.

Now, for the last two weeks or so, she has had tiny scabs on the back, near her tail and a few little plaques in her left groin. I'm 99% sure they aren't fleas. No flea dirt, and they aren't raised like bumps. Plus she is currently medicated for fleas.

The scabs are flat and roughly the size of a pin head. There is no hair loss and she doesn't seem itchy at all. There are probably like 10 scabs on her back currently, at least from my feel.

Food allergy or something else? I have no clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Does this seem like a food allergy?

My cat Sam has been having little skin issues for the past three or four months. A hot spot and some inter-digit infections that were cleared up with Convenia injections at the vet.

Now, for the last two weeks or so, she has had tiny scabs on the back, near her tail and a few little plaques in her left groin. I'm 99% sure they aren't fleas. No flea dirt, and they aren't raised like bumps. Plus she is currently medicated for fleas.

The scabs are flat and roughly the size of a pin head. There is no hair loss and she doesn't seem itchy at all. There are probably like 10 scabs on her back currently, at least from my feel.

Food allergy or something else? I have no clue.
Does she go outside? What flea medication does she get? The scabs you’re seeing certainly sound like they could be allergy-related, but there’s no way to tell from the appearance of the lesions whether it’s an allergy to food, fleas, or something in the environment (pollen, dust, etc). The only way to differentiate those is to rule out fleas (e.g. keep her indoors and on good flea medication religiously) and then do a food trial. You should talk to your vet about food because the prescription hypoallergenic diets are way better to start with than anything OTC for a food trial.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Our landlord came to us with a box of kittens in May. We took them to a shelter who said that (at two weeks) they were too young for the shelter to take in, and a lady there told us how to bottle feed them. We did it every four hours for like two and a half weeks. We tried to adopt them out and failed because we started trying to get them adopted out, too late (we went to an adoption fair and all of the other kittens were half the size, and nobody even adopted those kittens). Now they're our little baby cats and we love them. Our three previously existing adult cats (yeah we have 6 cats) get along with them ok but one of our cats hisses if a kitten gets too close, too fast. Otherwise he's ok with the kittens. One of the kittens is super fearless. He'll flop down in front of hiss cat, who will hiss! The kitten will stay there and cuddle. About 10 seconds later, hiss cat will start licking and cuddling the kitten.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

redreader posted:

Our landlord came to us with a box of kittens in May. We took them to a shelter who said that (at two weeks) they were too young for the shelter to take in, and a lady there told us how to bottle feed them. We did it every four hours for like two and a half weeks. We tried to adopt them out and failed because we started trying to get them adopted out, too late (we went to an adoption fair and all of the other kittens were half the size, and nobody even adopted those kittens). Now they're our little baby cats and we love them. Our three previously existing adult cats (yeah we have 6 cats) get along with them ok but one of our cats hisses if a kitten gets too close, too fast. Otherwise he's ok with the kittens. One of the kittens is super fearless. He'll flop down in front of hiss cat, who will hiss! The kitten will stay there and cuddle. About 10 seconds later, hiss cat will start licking and cuddling the kitten.

:kimchi:

You can't say this and not provide pictures, that's not fair.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Crooked Booty posted:

Does she go outside? What flea medication does she get? The scabs you’re seeing certainly sound like they could be allergy-related, but there’s no way to tell from the appearance of the lesions whether it’s an allergy to food, fleas, or something in the environment (pollen, dust, etc). The only way to differentiate those is to rule out fleas (e.g. keep her indoors and on good flea medication religiously) and then do a food trial. You should talk to your vet about food because the prescription hypoallergenic diets are way better to start with than anything OTC for a food trial.

She is 100% indoors outside of escaping for 24 hours a few months ago. As far as flea stuff, she gets Advantage II.

It should be noted these allergy things started up once my bf and myself moved into a rental house after living in an apartment previously. It's a fairly old house, nearly 100 years, but it's decently kept up. I've done my best to clean everything since these allergy issues started, and my other cat and the dog have been fine outside of the dog's usual seasonal allergies. Maybe she's just allergic to the house. Or it could be the ever possible cat problem: stress.

We are gonna try a food trial and see what happens.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

He just started sitting like this

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Thumposaurus posted:

He just started sitting like this

Looks like you are getting a performance review, and it doesn't look good for you at all.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Ratzap posted:

That gif make me want to kick that smug shithead in the nuts. Repeatedly. Or stick him in the middle of a frozen lake with vinyl super glued to his hands/feet - see how he likes it.

You want to torture a character on a tv show because someone put boots on a cat

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

KITTON MITTONS

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Puppy Galaxy posted:

You want to torture a character on a tv show because someone put boots on a cat

Torture is a bit hyperbolic but w/e. First off I don't have a TV so all I see is a smug shitheat forcing a cat to wear boots and slither over a slippery surface for his amusement.

Boots on a cat is one thing if it's necessary and the animal can still get traction (ie not be distressed by it). Boots on a cat to watch it struggle to walk is a completely different kettle of fish.

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
Hey guys :)

Slight concern here, tiger wanted to eat grass really badly two days in this week (today, and thursday). We don't have kitty grass currently, but we have a hanging plant (non toxic), that she secretly used to graze, until it was put out of reach, and she's been meowing at it, so we've gotten her grass outside (no pesticides), and we're growing her some kitty grass currently.

She's been eating well, drinking, and doing her business. She likes belly rubs, and she's totally fine with them still.

I know she's indicating some kind of digestive issue, but being a dumb human being, I have no idea what she's trying to convey beyond "give me that grass".

Do I need to panic and bring her to a vet?

Look at that face :3:

Merry Christmas everyone :)

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

That is a cute kitty face. If she wants grass, then grass she must have!

I don't think it's something to panic over if she seems otherwise fine. Mine get pretty excited about grass too, one of them more so than food, but he's just like that, so far as I can tell. Vet says he's doing fine.

One thing I discovered: mine will eat cut wheatgrass as found in the grocery store, for juicing or whatever. Not as good as stuff that's still growing, but they definitely go for it anyway.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Cats just like grass. It's a cat thing.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

My idiot cat likes to gnaw on the bamboo plant out back and throw up. Cat!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Vampess posted:

Hey guys :)

Slight concern here, tiger wanted to eat grass really badly two days in this week (today, and thursday). We don't have kitty grass currently, but we have a hanging plant (non toxic), that she secretly used to graze, until it was put out of reach, and she's been meowing at it, so we've gotten her grass outside (no pesticides), and we're growing her some kitty grass currently.

She's been eating well, drinking, and doing her business. She likes belly rubs, and she's totally fine with them still.

I know she's indicating some kind of digestive issue, but being a dumb human being, I have no idea what she's trying to convey beyond "give me that grass".

Do I need to panic and bring her to a vet?

Look at that face :3:

Merry Christmas everyone :)

Is cat, cannot fix. (She's fine and also incredibly pretty give her some good good belly rubs for me!)

Happy Christmas :D

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Pretty normal stuff and it's why you can get patches of turf in pet shops to grow indoors for you cat (of course some of the little buggers are quite perverse and will poo poo on it instead).

My oldies don't groom as much as they used to so they end up with more fur in their stomaches. They then pop outside, eat some grass to make them heave and blow chunks on the floor. This gets repeated till the offending fur has been expelled. So long as there's no blood in the vomit you're fine.

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
Thanks for the responses guys :)

I'll keep an eye on eating and such, but I won't panic over the recent love for grass. Tiger is good at grooming, but she's apparently a breed that sheds all throughout the year. I brush her regularly, but she has a seemingly infinite amount of fur. It's freezing outside, stop shedding fur everywhere, silly cat!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
In a fit of madness on Saturday, my wife disappeared for a few hours and returned with #5 in tow - a 3 month old tux kitten named Kinte - Tay for short. In true kitten fashion, he assaults our feet, climbs the Christmas tree to bat ornaments off for the chase, and chases rabbit turds, only to fall asleep moments later.

He's a true snuggle cat, meowing in protest when you pick him up, but the deep purrs betray him. I'm in love :kimchi:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

D34THROW posted:

In a fit of madness on Saturday, my wife disappeared for a few hours and returned with #5 in tow - a 3 month old tux kitten named Kinte - Tay for short. In true kitten fashion, he assaults our feet, climbs the Christmas tree to bat ornaments off for the chase, and chases rabbit turds, only to fall asleep moments later.

He's a true snuggle cat, meowing in protest when you pick him up, but the deep purrs betray him. I'm in love :kimchi:

That sounds like one superb kitten :allears: I'm sure Quiggles is looking down with approval at the new family member!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I may have to go with my girlfriend to say goodbye to her 13 year old boy this week while on vacation in Florida visiting her parents where he lives now. He was recently diagnosed with pancreatitis and basically hasn't eaten going on 3 weeks now, what he does eat he usually throws up later on. He's lost 4 pounds in 3 weeks, which is definitely alarming, but he was a big boy to begin with so he's down to 14lbs now. They're keeping him overnight to give him IV fluids and steroids in hopes he gets his appetite back but it's not looking good. If he doesn't get better we're bringing him home for one last night then taking him in to put him down.

I was never an animal person before getting with my girlfriend but now we have two cats and the thought of having to do this to my own cats just sucks. I love our cats to death but this is just another strike against owning pets in the first place to me. I think most people say they'll know when to let go but man, it just sucks when they can't say "hey, I'm in pain, please put me out of my misery" and you just have to make the call for them.

It sucks this had to happen while on vacation, but I'd rather she be able to be there for it instead of hearing word from 1000 miles away that her parents had to put her cat down. I can't wait to get home and give my cats a big ol hug :cry:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

It’s the absolute hardest and worst part of pet ownership, but it’s worth it for the time you do get with them.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

He was recently diagnosed with pancreatitis and basically hasn't eaten going on 3 weeks now, what he does eat he usually throws up later on.

Sorry about the cat :(
My old (14) cat recently got diagnosed with pancreatitis. The doc put her on Cerenia immediately and that stopped the puking and her appetite came back right away. Doesn’t fix the pancreatitis but it helped the symptoms...

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
:unsmith: After losing both of my good girls to disease this year, I'm going to the local rescue to see if there are some good new friends to meet. Nobody will replace Poyo or Fatfat, but that's not really the point.

It's been weird having no cats, though. I haven't been catless except during the academic year as an undergrad. It's been months since Fatfat died and I still kinda expect someone to jump up when I sit down. I always check the door to make sure no one has run out. The habits die hard.

I guess the upside is that we had a tree this year and it didn't get wrecked.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Suki eats spinach, celery, and cucumber. If you have those out and you don't give her any, she will complain. Loudly. While simultaneously looking pitiful and murderous.

Hates zucchini, though.

Is cat.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wow, so it sounds like he took really well to the fluids/medication they gave him intravenously and he ate a bunch overnight and actually appears to be on the uptick. They're thinking possibly that there is an infection that the steroids helped with so they're keeping him another night to monitor him and see where he goes from here. I don't think we're out of the woods yet but the doc seemed to be pretty pleased with the progress over night.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Ethics is a vaccinated 7-month-old indoor cat. His nose is red, his eyes are a bit goopy, and in the last day or so started drooling like a drippy faucet. He has a coughing fit every hour or so, seems. Is this vet-worthy, or just a cold that's not worth the trauma of vetting? I dunno what happened during his neutering, but when I took him back for his second vaccine, he was so scared of the clinic that he trembled the entire time. He tried to escape via ceiling tile with a desperate leap off my shoulder.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Take him to the vet. Cats don't usually show they're sick until they're really sick, so any symptoms are worth checking out.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Huntersoninski posted:

Take him to the vet. Cats don't usually show they're sick until they're really sick, so any symptoms are worth checking out.

Yeah, I thought so. Poor kitty.

e: Appointment set for tomorrow.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 27, 2017

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Poor 'Te has an upper respiratory. Never seen a kitty so sneezy! Gonna have to get him in before his follow-up for final shots on Saturday.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Bleh, and like a kick to the nuts he took a turn for the worst and we have to go put him down today. He got to come home and hang around the house while everybody says their goodbyes so I think this is the best possible outcome for him. :(

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

explosivo posted:

Bleh, and like a kick to the nuts he took a turn for the worst and we have to go put him down today. He got to come home and hang around the house while everybody says their goodbyes so I think this is the best possible outcome for him. :(

Man :( I am really sorry to hear about that, well, for your girlfriend's sake. Kinda must make for a lovely Christmas visit when you go home just in time to put the cat down :gonk:

And yeah this stuff always just makes me desperately fear the day when I might have to make that call, and how soon it could be. Jackie's not quite a spring chicken at 12. I also feel like an *unbelievable* rear end in a top hat that for the first couple years I had her (when I lived in an apartment that allowed smoking) I would smoke or let other people smoke around her (thought it was generally pot or rolling tobacco). I mean, if I had stopped to think for a moment that cats have teeny lungs like an infant and second-hand smoke would obviously potentially have that much more negative an effect... *sigh*

Anyway, it's been 6 years since then and Jackie hasn't been inhaling any smoke since then, nor has she had any breathing or lung-related issues so far - I hope we're in the clear (*knocks on wood*) but I still feel seriously dumb for allowing that. And I had thought about it I had even asked my Dad and his (unfortunate) response was "Nah go right ahead, it's not like Jackie's the one smoking :v:" Same "father of the year" who let his 14 year old son smoke cigarettes on a trip to France because it's "part of the culture". His argument was that if they sold them to me I could smoke them, and apparently in the late 90s in Paris 14 year old kids had no trouble buying smokes. So in my defense, well... Yeah. I don't even like cigarettes anyway.

I'm probably going to feel responsible for the rest of my life if Jackie *does* wind up with some incapacitating lung condition though, frankly just the possibility makes me feel incredibly lovely.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

kaworu posted:

Man :( I am really sorry to hear about that, well, for your girlfriend's sake. Kinda must make for a lovely Christmas visit when you go home just in time to put the cat down :gonk:

Thanks, and honestly it was better than the poo poo show that would have ensued if it had to happen while we were at home. She got to be there for it and be with him until the end so it's probably the best possible outcome.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

I'm probably going to feel responsible for the rest of my life if Jackie *does* wind up with some incapacitating lung condition though, frankly just the possibility makes me feel incredibly lovely.

For what it's worth, in the 90s/early-to-mid 2000s, both of my parents smoked (and still do) and we've had cats live to 18.

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
We got Tiger a new cat tree :3:

The old one looked like this;

So it was due for a change!

Locally (Slovenia) trees ranged from 80-100 euros (cheapest was 80 euros and single tier), so we went to amazon, and bought https://www.amazon.de/dibea-KB00503-Kratzbaum-Katzen-Kletterbaum/dp/B00KJXFXXC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1513872786&sr=8-5&keywords=cat+tree

It's a bit small, but for 50 euros and no shipping fees, it can't beat the overpriced local store's bland trees.

Here's tiger actually being able to stretch out :)

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
I have never seen a catte more deserving of a new tree.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Pixelante posted:

Yeah, I thought so. Poor kitty.

e: Appointment set for tomorrow.

Looks like he just has a small wound in his mouth, maybe from scrapping with Snowflake or biting something sharp. Ethics is not the smartest cat. This morning I had to pry him off the back of the TV after he got his claws stuck in the mesh vents while trying to climb it. He needed help too much for me to take a picture of him, but here he is being confused about Groot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFaVip89DM8

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ginny is about 10-12 pounds and 3 years old and Creampuff is a couple months now and maybe 4 pounds. When we got her and Ginny hissed/growled at her to back off she would.

I think CP has figured out Ginny is a wimp because when theres a serious fight and Ginny is backing off CP will keep going at her. I know that CP is a biter and Ginny appears to have zero fighting skills. She once in a while will try and hold her down but as soon as CP starts biting and getting serious Ginny howls and runs/gets chased.

They get along most of the time and play fight a lot so I know they arent mortal enemies. I'm just concerned what will happen when Creampuff gets adult sized. Anyone have some insight on this?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Blackchamber posted:

They get along most of the time and play fight a lot so I know they arent mortal enemies. I'm just concerned what will happen when Creampuff gets adult sized. Anyone have some insight on this?

I wouldn't worry about it - it sounds like Creampuff is the well-established dominant presence even as a kitten, and that dynamic will likely stay the same and as long as both kitties are cool with it, I doubt it'll change much.

Really, if anything Creampuff is likely to mellow out and spend more time cuddling/grooming/playing with Ginny, and the fighting will also get less frequent and ferocious as Creampuff grows up, I'd imagine. At least that's how they usually work out.... You should be really happy that Ginny can stand having a kitten around at all - sometimes older cats can kinda lose it and get very upset if a kitten shows up in their territory and starts hogging all the humans and their laps.

So yeah, really what it comes down to is that Ginny is the one you should really look out for behaviorally. It's funny that she's this big older catte who can hiss and spit and yowl scarily but has *absolutely* no hunting or defense skills WHATSOEVER and is kind of a wimp; I was actually describing my own cat, Jackie, just now. But it sounds like it applies to your kitty, too.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
New friend name of Gizmo.

She is four years old. Her previous family surrendered her; I don't know if it's linked to her high arousal (her chart says she's fractious and the coordinator said she can be naughty) or if they gave her up for unrelated reasons.

Bzzzzzzzzz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
My eight-month old catte is loving addicted to milk and it is driving us insane. She'll jump on the table if she sees you pour cream into your coffee. She also refuses to drink water unless it has been colored with a drop of milk. She was the runt so she nursed for an extra 2-weeks, I don't know if this has anything to do with it. Any suggestions? Are there any ways to safely give a cat milk?