Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

He ruined a name and facial hair style forever. Let's take them back from that monster! Have baby Adolf grow a Chaplin mustache.

I think there's still babies being named Dolph, and if you're really committed you could try Æthelwulf, which is apparently the original English version of the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

pidan posted:

I think there's still babies being named Dolph, and if you're really committed you could try Æthelwulf, which is apparently the original English version of the name.

Yeah, nobody would assume the parents of the kid called Aethewulf were neo-Nazis.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Say Nothing posted:

Hitlerina is a good stripper name.

Jew Producer is my favorite historical figure

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Alhazred posted:

In ancient Egypt when the pharaoh's army was victorious they would cut of the dicks off the fallen enemy soldiers and present them to the pharaoh.

The only Pharaoh who ordered this was Amenhotep II. They usually just cut off a hand.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Any idea why this one Pharaoh gave that order?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Sounds like he might have just been kind of a dick.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Kassad posted:

Because he believed in handouts

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's a pretty stiff regulation if you ask me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kassad posted:

If you give them an inch...

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Probably he did it because he thought it would be badass and make everyone fear him, but instead everyone just wondered what he wanted them for? Then anytime he tried to intimidate anyone, they just told him to go suck a bag of dicks, "which we all know you have!".

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
I dunno I think that's a pretty well intimidating move. I don't want my dick stuck in a bag, waiting to be sucked by some phar-ugh. I'm not confident he'd ever get around to me and so it's all just very anxiety inducing and depressing, you know?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Hope they washed them first.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

He ruined a name and facial hair style forever. Let's take them back from that monster! Have baby Adolf grow a Chaplin mustache.

True, but that facial hair style was terrible and destined to an ignominious retiring.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Solice Kirsk posted:

If you give them an inch...

then you're halfway in?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

funmanguy posted:

then you're halfway in?
:drat:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

funmanguy posted:

then you're halfway in?

lol

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
I think the official idea behind the dickchopping instead of hacking off a hand was 'cut off a hand and there wont be as many soldiers invading tommorow, cut off some dicks and there wont be any soldiers in fifteen years time.'

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
The dicks were cut off dead soldiers, weren't they?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, but it's a lot easier to survive a chopped-off hand.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, but it's a lot easier to survive a chopped-off hand.

idk i think youll bleed out faster from a dickchop than ahandchop

just an idea

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
I think you'll still be dead, if someone comes to chop off your hand or dick when you're dead.

What kinda tool would ya'll use for such a task anyway? I'd go with a shaolin spade. Slam it down, walk to next, repeat.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

zidane13 posted:

I think you'll still be dead, if someone comes to chop off your hand or dick when you're dead.

What kinda tool would ya'll use for such a task anyway? I'd go with a shaolin spade. Slam it down, walk to next, repeat.

Spork

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

a sickle

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A rusty spork

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhfuuKiTcYQ

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

zidane13 posted:

Do the ol' welching on a Scottish drug dealer method - hammer and chisel.

Goldreallas XXX
Oct 22, 2009

King Doom posted:

I think the official idea behind the dickchopping instead of hacking off a hand was 'cut off a hand and there wont be as many soldiers invading tommorow, cut off some dicks and there wont be any soldiers in fifteen years time.'

Soldiers were paid depending on how many hands / dicks they brought in, it was easy to bring in left and right hands and inflate your numbers, but most men only have one dick.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Iceatollah posted:

most men only have one dick.

I thought it was two. This is very unsettling.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
and it's easier and less messy than heads!

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

your friend a dog posted:

and it's easier and less messy than heads!

Heads are very heavy, which is why i ancient China they would allegedly collect ears off the fallen, which is allegedly why the Chinese character for "fetch" is an ear next to a hand: 取 (ear 耳 left, hand 又 right, 耳 still means ear, 又 means something else nowadays).

I'm not fully convinced that it's not the case some historian just saw the character and got inspired.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

pidan posted:

Heads are very heavy, which is why i ancient China they would allegedly collect ears off the fallen, which is allegedly why the Chinese character for "fetch" is an ear next to a hand: 取 (ear 耳 left, hand 又 right, 耳 still means ear, 又 means something else nowadays).

I'm not fully convinced that it's not the case some historian just saw the character and got inspired.

I'm p sure that's 90% of the 'meanings' behind asian characters

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
Also relevant - Nose Tombs

IIRC there was a ancient battle that was lost, or at least almost lost, when the winning army stopped fighting and started collecting trophies to make sure they got paid before they'd actually achieved victory, making it the losing army. Or something like that, I can't find anything via google. My memory is such a tease sometimes :v:

The Sausages has a new favorite as of 11:39 on Dec 28, 2017

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm p sure that's 90% of the 'meanings' behind asian characters

Eh, not really. Since the discovery of the "oracle bones" early in the 20th century, we do have a lot of info on what pictographs the characters developed from. For example, 女 meaning woman doesn't really look like a woman at all, but when you look at the earliest version of the character, you can kind of see a kneeling woman. And so on.

It's true that when you read anything about Chinese characters (or proverbs, habits, laws...) in western pop culture it's probably made up by westerners and you generally shouldn't believe it.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

pidan posted:

Eh, not really. Since the discovery of the "oracle bones" early in the 20th century, we do have a lot of info on what pictographs the characters developed from. For example, 女 meaning woman doesn't really look like a woman at all, but when you look at the earliest version of the character, you can kind of see a kneeling woman. And so on.

It's true that when you read anything about Chinese characters (or proverbs, habits, laws...) in western pop culture it's probably made up by westerners and you generally shouldn't believe it.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E5%A5%B3#/media/File:%E5%A5%B3-oracle.svg

That's pretty obviously a twerking woman with a ponytail.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

The Sausages posted:

Also relevant - Nose Tombs

IIRC there was a ancient battle that was lost, or at least almost lost, when the winning army stopped fighting and started collecting trophies to make sure they got paid before they'd actually achieved victory, making it the losing army. Or something like that, I can't find anything via google. My memory is such a tease sometimes :v:

I remember reading about a battle involving Romans who had a number of slaves fighting for them and had promised freedom to every one who could produce the head of an enemy. This caused some slaves to stop fighting in order to collect a head and the Roman commander reacted by stating that he would free them all if they won, in order to keep them fighting. Dunno if this every actually happened, but makes for a good story.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

pidan posted:

In ancient China you actually had to collect a certain number of heads in order to be promoted.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

In ancient China you actually had to collect a certain number of heads in order to be promoted.

Of course, no-one said it had to be different heads each time. And thus began the legend of the Dragonballs...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"Let's base our ranking in the military by how many body parts a solider can collect and lets have no oversight. I fail to see how this can go wrong."

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Some of those freed slaves were able to buy ships with the bodyparts they took, hence the phrase "cost an arm and a leg"

not really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Alhazred posted:

Hard to get ahead in those days...