Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Phobic Nest posted:

When their behavior is always the same, does the difference really matter?

Last year I had a really lovely boss who hosed over his employees in every way possible but had a real "aw shucks" persona. Most of my coworkers were convinced his terrible steam of decisions was because he was stupid, not malicious. I disagreed but either way we all knew he would find a new way to gently caress us over on a near-daily basis.

In the end I didn't care what the guy's dumbass to jackass ratio was, I just left (and eventually so did the rest of my coworkers). Too bad leaving this country or ultimately planet won't be that easy.

It actually does matter because if Republicans were sane and cynical they'd know the truism that a good parasite doesn't kill the host. Instead they're insane and believe that if they just kill the host they can have it all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Phobic Nest posted:

When their behavior is always the same, does the difference really matter?

Last year I had a really lovely boss who hosed over his employees in every way possible but had a real "aw shucks" persona. Most of my coworkers were convinced his terrible steam of decisions was because he was stupid, not malicious. I disagreed but either way we all knew he would find a new way to gently caress us over on a near-daily basis.

In the end I didn't care what the guy's dumbass to jackass ratio was, I just left (and eventually so did the rest of my coworkers). Too bad leaving this country or ultimately planet won't be that easy.

You answered your own question: the difference matters because, unlike a job, most people can't just pack up and leave the country. We have to clean up the mess we have gotten ourselves into, and the only way to do that is to thoroughly understand its different aspects, including the motivations, worldviews and thought processes of prominent GOP politicians. Simple explanations like "oh, you know, they are just psychopaths" get in the way of this: like soundbites, they are easy to buy into, but conceal deeper truths.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Trabisnikof posted:

It actually does matter because if Republicans were sane and cynical they'd know the truism that a good parasite doesn't kill the host. Instead they're insane and believe that if they just kill the host they can have it all!

agreed. but i think alot of them are trying to push through as much awful poo poo as they can because i think they realize a blue wave will hit soon and trump isn't reliable.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/945815162505908224

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I mean it’s true the nazi party kinda absorbed the entire existing beaurocracy.

That said: gently caress em

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

There already is a state and local elections thread.

The only one I’ve seen is for this year’s special elections. Will double check though

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. most of the republicans i know(least the small buesness/fiscal Rockefeller type ones hate his guts now. they also hate the tax bill.

Oh yeah he's also pissed about the tax bill giving deepthroat to the multinational corporations that have been the bane of his existence as a small business owner.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

enraged_camel posted:

You answered your own question: the difference matters because, unlike a job, most people can't just pack up and leave the country. We have to clean up the mess we have gotten ourselves into, and the only way to do that is to thoroughly understand its different aspects, including the motivations, worldviews and thought processes of prominent GOP politicians. Simple explanations like "oh, you know, they are just psychopaths" get in the way of this: like soundbites, they are easy to buy into, but conceal deeper truths.

I don't see much usefulness in psychoanalyzing politicians. Figuring out what makes voters tick and how to motivate seems a bit more effective to me, only going by recent news.

But even then, getting more liberal people to vote seems far more important than trying to change the minds of conservatives. I come from a large family of Catholics who run the gamut from disappointed Republican to full-on conspiracy nutter but I know it's folly to ever convince them to vote for someone with a candidate with a D after their name.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

:lol:

“Colonizing Mars is actually easy with Randian superman Elon in charge!” Is this written to a seventh grade level because only children are likely to believe it?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

PPJ you do great work in this thread, but this posting of some no-mark extremely online teenager's awful no-good bad opinions does nothing for anyone

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
It has to do with the government and twitter...
Library Of Congress Will No Longer Archive Every Tweet

Not the president's every tweet, all of the tweets since 2010.

Why. Why would you do that? What possible microscopic fragment of constructive/positive anything could this ever achieve?

What. ow that hurt thinking about

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

KickerOfMice posted:

It has to do with the government and twitter...
Library Of Congress Will No Longer Archive Every Tweet

Not the president's every tweet, all of the tweets since 2010.

Why. Why would you do that? What possible microscopic fragment of constructive/positive anything could this ever achieve?

What. ow that hurt thinking about

why do you think

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I kind of understand where Trump was coming from on the Andrew Jackson tweet considering how Jackson responded to the Nullification Crisis.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

why do you think

They could have done it earlier. :shrug:

e- But seriously, once it became... what it is now, this method of communication is as much worth recording as.... I can't think of anything less deserving to be preserved there right now.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 27, 2017

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

What’s the counter to the erasing history argument when it comes to confederate statues and the renaming of schools and such?

That’s the argument my parents are stuck on. Even my normally super liberal mom.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Arrgytehpirate posted:

What’s the counter to the erasing history argument when it comes to confederate statues and the renaming of schools and such?

That’s the argument my parents are stuck on. Even my normally super liberal mom.

Simple answer: taking down a statue of a confederate does not remove that confederate from the historical record. It also doesn’t remove the fact that said confederate had a statue from the historical record.

Source: I am a [sometimes] paid historian.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Statues and namesakes are for glorification, not memorization. You won't see any statues of Hitler or swastika artwork. If you want to preserve the statues, stick them in appropriate museums, not out in public.

Secondly, most of those statues were made decades after the fact by people specifically trying to glorify the confederacy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

History belongs in museums. Monuments and naming schools are about honoring and celebrating people. Move the statues to museums with explanations of who they are and what they did and not only isn't history "being erased" but its being given proper context.

Its really a dumb argument. No offense to your parents. It sounds deep but really, the notion that we're "erasing" history by doing things like educating people on what the "Rebel Flag" actually is and why it started getting raised in the first place is kind of the opposite of "erasing history."

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 27, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

STAC Goat posted:

History belongs in museums. Monuments and naming schools are about honoring and celebrating people. Move the statues to museums with explanations of who they are and what they did and not only isn't history "being erased" but its being given proper context.

Its really a dumb argument.

The follow up to this is usually some comment defending the Confederacy as an attempt to protect states rights, which is also bullshit.

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:

Arrgytehpirate posted:

there's about a million better ways to learn about US history than staring at statues.

statues, namesakes, etc. serve to glorify historical figures so the consideration should be whether we want to glorify them or read about them in context of all the atrocious poo poo they did.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Arrgytehpirate posted:

History is in books, documentaries, and oral histories, not statues. Statues exist to memorialize or celebrate. Germany isn't full of Hitler statues or Goebbels Elementaries, and I'll guarantee you everyone there knows their WW2 history better than Americans.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There Bias Two posted:

The follow up to this is usually some comment defending the Confederacy as an attempt to protect states rights, which is also bullshit.

Well yeah but that's an entirely different argument and really if you're having that one then you're arguing with a racist (or someone so poorly educated and stubborn about it that they've managed to remain ignorant this long) and you're probably not going to get anywhere.

The "erasing history" argument seems to try to appeal to a different angle and its nonsense since properly identifying names and statues for the ACTUAL historic figures they were and the things they did and stand for is basically what this is about.

This reminds me that I saw Fox News airing an "Andrew Jackson: Hero Under Fire" special on Christmas Eve but didn't think to record it.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Keep the Confederate statues, but mount a plaque on all of them explaining that the Confederacy was fighting first and foremost to preserve chattel slavery, preferably with a quote from the cause of secession from the state the statue is in. Surely we can improve these historical monuments by adding more history to them, right?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

i am the bird posted:

Simple answer: taking down a statue of a confederate does not remove that confederate from the historical record. It also doesn’t remove the fact that said confederate had a statue from the historical record.

Source: I am a [sometimes] paid historian.

Aside from the above stuff, you might also point out that the vast majority of the statues and monuments were not put up after the war but rather almost half a century or more later by rather racist and/or outright pro-secessionist groups that had nothing to do with the war and wanted to re-litigate the events and justification the south had for trying to secede from the union. See the Lost Cause types as an example. Incidentally, this is also why you can find statues of confederate "heroes" (Statues which more often than not are also associated with or were just straight proponents of slavery, though many of them are now being taken down.) in states that had literally nothing to do with the civil war.

They're not historical at all if you look at the context as to why they were put up and kept up for so long. If anything many of the statues are ahistorical in that context. Rather, they were used as rallying points for bigots and as an intimidation tactic against minorities.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 27, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

"do you know who Hitler is?"

Followed by

"Have you ever seen a statue of him?"

I guess you could reverse the order

We had a similar argument in Australia and Britain about Rhodes, who is one of the worst monsters of colonialism, yet whose name is attached to the most prestigious academic scholarship in the Commonwealth

There Bias Two posted:

Well, it's true, it's just that it was the states' rights to keep slaves.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

"So the statues of Lenin and Stalin should've stayed up in the former Warsaw Pact?"

"The statue of Saddam Hussein should've stayed up?"

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
Also, you'd be hard pressed to find one single person who WOULD like to have every one of these statues removed, ground into dust, and thrown in a landfill - who would also like people to just erase history, forget everything that happened, let's just move on. Erasing history is what the statues still standing represent.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Archonex posted:

Aside from the above stuff, you might also point out that the vast majority of the statues and monuments were not put up after the war but rather far later on by a rather racist group that wanted to re-litigate the events and justification the south had for trying to secede from the union. See the Lost Cause types as an example as an example. This is also why you can find statues of confederate "heroes" in states that had literally nothing to do with the civil war.

They're not historical at all if you look at the context as to why they were put up and kept up for so long. Rather, they were used as rallying points for bigots and as an intimidation tactic against minorities.

That's the other thing. There's a fundamental difference between "Historical Sites" and "Monuments." Something marking a historical place or that has been standing from a historical time might have grounds to stay. Something erected in a town square 50 years ago to honor Civil War Generals ain't historical any more than the Hall of Presidents at Disney and Madame Tussauds Wax Museum are.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The statues were erected to erase history in the first place. Why are there tons of Statues of Robert E Lee, in places like Oregon no less, and much much fewer dedicated to Nat Turner if it's just about learning history and not glorification?

Notice no one is saying we need to tear up historic Civil War battlefields in Virginia since those are actually about history. Ask what exactly someone that is coming in with no knowledge of the Civil War and the events that led to it and what happened after we are supposed to learn from a statue about how heroic some confederate General was.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 27, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

KickerOfMice posted:

Also, you'd be hard pressed to find one single person who WOULD like to have every one of these statues removed, ground into dust, and thrown in a landfill - who would also like people to just erase history, forget everything that happened, let's just move on. Erasing history is what the statues still standing represent.

Well, more re-writing or white washing history but still.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Well, more re-writing or white washing history but still.

OMG you get what I mean! Yeah you're correct.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
And here I am, still unable to get government funding for my Osama Bin Laden statue at Ground Zero.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The same people talking about how removing statues is erasing history would never in a trillion years agree to erecting statues honoring the people who were enslaved by the people depicted in those statues. You don't need to know a single other detail about people arguing against removing statues: sever, they are worthless and horrible and they will never change

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

empty whippet box posted:

sever, they are worthless and horrible and they will never change

Oh that's just silly.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Just saw this

https://www.thedailybeast.com/robert-mueller-may-indict-paul-manafort-again posted:

And no one may feel more heat than Paul Manafort. In Washington legal circles, there’s a broad expectation that Mueller will file what’s called a superseding indictment of Manafort and Rick Gates, his erstwhile business partner—and alleged partner in crime. Gates and Manafort both pleaded not guilty when Mueller’s team filed their indictment on Oct. 30. Legal experts say there may be more charges to come.

“I would expect a superseding indictment to come down relatively soon,” said Jonathan Turley, a professor at George Washington University’s law school.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Nah they're fine being the biggest cancer fish in a drying coal mud pond.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

WeAreTheRomans posted:

PPJ you do great work in this thread, but this posting of some no-mark extremely online teenager's awful no-good bad opinions does nothing for anyone

Sometimes I just catch gems and feel good stories while eggnog drinkin' and I don't have the time to make a full post
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/945827055043862528
https://twitter.com/APWestRegion/status/945831207241166848

cause life is just fun for some americans
https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/945419960402300928

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

How Will Children Understand WWII Without America's Hitler Statues?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

empty whippet box posted:

The same people talking about how removing statues is erasing history would never in a trillion years agree to erecting statues honoring the people who were enslaved by the people depicted in those statues. You don't need to know a single other detail about people arguing against removing statues: sever, they are worthless and horrible and they will never change

Because I think this deserves more than my "well that's just silly" (which it is)

Guessing that someone won't believe you when you tell them the truth, and then then turning away from them, is an incredibly dickish thing to do.

e- I'm not trying to start a personal attack/argument, but that's their family!

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Statue of the great dictator:

• Locked thread