Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Roadie posted:

Overcooked is really lacking for an online multiplayer mode. It's a game that would be perfect for simple multiplayer and voice chat.

This is the main reason why I never got it on steam. I don't want to say that slapping online multiplayer together is easy, but it seems like Overcooked should be easier than most games. It would be a great game for people who don't have super great ping since each person does their own task and then hands it off to someone else and it doesn't all have to be synced within a millisecond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Takoluka posted:

So... is it a bad port, like WWE2K18? Or is a good port with lower graphic settings?

Digital Foundry's review summed it up as "impressive and disappointing at the same time." I played a bit of my friend's copy in portable mode and found it pretty good. I'd say that if portable Doom is your main draw you will be happy with it.

Edit: Corrected my main point.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 27, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Takoluka posted:

So... is it a bad port, like WWE2K18? Or is a good port with lower graphic settings?

The later. It’s playable and amazing it runs as well as it does on Switch hardware but yeah, you should skip it if you have other places to play it unless you realllly want portability.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Yummy Dead Cow posted:

The best way to speed up your enjoyment of Xenoblades is to beeline for the skill that lets you cancel out of arts into other arts in your character skill tree and stock up on the most expensive dessert items you can find and stick them into your bag.

Can someone explain the item in bag system to me because it seems really stupid

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

empathe posted:

Can someone explain the item in bag system to me because it seems really stupid

Passive stat bonus for the duration.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Butcher trip report: it is not good. I played it on default difficulty (hard because it's that kind of game) and the bad guys just auto lock on you so quickly. There are hidden collectibles on every level but it's really hard to find them because everything is super dark.

I bought it because it was cheap & looked like 2d Quake but really I don't think it's worth anybody's time. Very glad I got Sonic Mania at the same time because that's a quality product right there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Passive stat bonus for the duration.

Yeah it's not complicated

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Japanese Amiibo sales are interesting

01. Amiibo Callie {2016.07.07} (¥1.200) – 299.300 / 299.300
02. Amiibo Marie {2016.07.07} (¥1.200) – 298.189 / 298.189
03. Amiibo Squid {2015.05.28} (¥1.200) – 158.990 / 392.757
04. Amiibo Boy {2015.05.28} (¥1.200) – 151.662 / 377.970
05. Amiibo Girl {2015.05.28} (¥1.200) – 147.457 / 382.206
06. Amiibo Squid (Orange) {2016.07.07} (¥1.200) – 101.651 / 101.651
07. Amiibo Girl (Lime Green) {2016.07.07} (¥1.200) – 97.442 / 97.442
08. Amiibo Boy (Purple) {2016.07.07} (¥1.200) – 84.661 / 84.661
09. Amiibo Wolf Link (Twilight Princess) {2016.03.10} (¥1.500) – 72.199 / 72.199
10. Amiibo Isabelle (Winter Outfit) {2015.11.21} (¥1.200) – 42.333 / 110.093

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's a little unintuitive because you can raise trust and build up the affinity chart by buying a bunch of one item and just putting it in the pouch over and over again without waiting for the old ones to expire. But yeah the passive bonuses are self explanatory

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I played DOOM all the way through on the Switch having never played it before on any other console. If it was a Switch exclusive, people would be losing their loving minds over it. It's more than playable, it's actually really really good.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Japanese Amiibo sales are interesting

01. Amiibo Callie {2016.07.07} (¥1.200) – 299.300 / 299.300
02. Amiibo Marie {2016.07.07} (¥1.200) – 298.189 / 298.189
03. Amiibo Squid {2015.05.28} (¥1.200) – 158.990 / 392.757
04. Amiibo Boy {2015.05.28} (¥1.200) – 151.662 / 377.970
05. Amiibo Girl {2015.05.28} (¥1.200) – 147.457 / 382.206
06. Amiibo Squid (Orange) {2016.07.07} (¥1.200) – 101.651 / 101.651
07. Amiibo Girl (Lime Green) {2016.07.07} (¥1.200) – 97.442 / 97.442
08. Amiibo Boy (Purple) {2016.07.07} (¥1.200) – 84.661 / 84.661
09. Amiibo Wolf Link (Twilight Princess) {2016.03.10} (¥1.500) – 72.199 / 72.199
10. Amiibo Isabelle (Winter Outfit) {2015.11.21} (¥1.200) – 42.333 / 110.093

Not really surprising. Splatoon is absolutely massive in Japan.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I kinda want doom for multiplayer. I need a good MP FPS and since overwatch isn’t coming to Switch I. What is surely the missed opportunity of the century, doom is kinda it

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I mean my main argument is that doom is 70% cheaper and looks 500% better on PC. Portability is a thing but I can’t stomach a premium price for a game that looks amazing on PC and is itself an experience there for the ability to play on the toilet. Skyrim on the other hand can be modded and looks good but is not defined by its graphics but it’s storytelling. There is a game that benefits from portability by giving up less.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Fetus posted:

Not really surprising. Splatoon is absolutely massive in Japan.

Probably more that Callie, aka the best Squid Sister, is in top position.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I kinda want doom for multiplayer. I need a good MP FPS and since overwatch isn’t coming to Switch I. What is surely the missed opportunity of the century, doom is kinda it

It’s surprisingly not bad. I’m not sure how active the multi is on it though now.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

yeah, but Marie won the Splatfest. Something doesn't add up

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

yeah, but Marie won the Splatfest. Something doesn't add up

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

What's all the stuff about what characters like?
What's with all the different types?
Do I have to buy/craft these or do they drop?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

THE loving MOON posted:

I played DOOM all the way through on the Switch having never played it before on any other console. If it was a Switch exclusive, people would be losing their loving minds over it. It's more than playable, it's actually really really good.

But you see, I’ve got a PS4, XBone, and a gaming PC and therefore everyone should judge it based on my specific use case.

I also constantly buy poo poo on Steam because it’s on sale and then complain that I’ve got a backlog of games instead of only paying for games I play, like a normal person.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Me - I like video games

The guy she told me not to worry about - I like video games about anime and huge titties

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ufarn posted:

Man, Breath of the Wild is such a weird game. Some tighter (plot) structuring would have been nice for one, and the game really doesn't want to tell you much about anything.

Other than that, man it feels amazing to finally have another Nintendo console after the N64. Those Joy-Cons never seem to lose a single level of battery from an all-nighter, owns.

The draw of BotW is the sense of wonder of discovery. This includes the plot, and if you don’t find the plot to be engaging and deep it’s because you didn’t explore enough or didn’t pay attention to the things you found. It’s plot is one of the best I’ve played in almost a decade.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

empathe posted:

Pouch items? Pouch items are buffs on a timer, ranging from 20m to 3hrs. You can have one per character at a time, though you can expand to two at a time by finding some items hidden around the world. You buy them in stores, with the money you get by salvaging (which sucks early on but gets more lucrative as you progress). Improving your Blades (i.e. stands) sometimes requires you to use their favorite items or types of items, and it's listed in their chart.

I think the whole thing and indeed the whole game is over-engineered/overly complicated, but :shrug:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

empathe posted:

You buy most of that, some of it does drop though. It feeds into the area development system where you can buy stores to get bigger discounts once you've bought everything they sell. Each character has 2 item types they like and then 2 specific items they like and most of it is mentioned in dialogue at some point or is obvious. Like the catgirl likes fish.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

empathe posted:

Raises trust for your chart.
Different foods do different things, it tells you what so it doesn't matter.
Buy, you can cook but don't bother.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Anyone having trouble with using their cards on different region eshops? Could be my card but it worked before, within the last month. Has Nintendo ended my pretending to be Japanese?

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

So I think I just soft-locked my XBC2 game...

I'm early in Chapter 2 and I was supposed to be "Escaping the Titan Battleship" and I just went back out the way I came in... and now I can't get to whatever place it wanted me to go to trigger the next cutscene. I was unable to get back into the Titan. I ended up quitting to dashboard and reloading, so was ok, but I'm not sure what I would have done if my save had advanced past that point.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
You can fast travel to at least one point inside the battleship. I guess if you hadnt seen the cutscene you couldnt have just entered from the normal way, you would have had to jump and re enter through the original way you came in (going down onto that root and coming in through the bottom, I think), but you can also just warp back in.

The fast travel is convenient and great but in that game in particular, while I liked that it was there, it was the first time that Ive been like "Wow this really takes me out of the story and the game" because the plot will be going along and something dramatic will happen like youll crash your ship or be wanted, but in the actual game it doesnt matter, and your characters can just walk up to other sort-of-plot related characters and just chitchat with them, or just get wherever they need to go, no problem, nobody cares or bats an eye. For instance you can warp back to Argentum and talk to Bana after the end of Chapter 1 even though that would be really stupid, and how would you get there anyway. In other games like Zelda its explained as like ancient super teleporting technology, and in other games you dont really think about it and think of it more as like a skip travel option, like in Skyrim, because I guess your character still feasibly can get there one way or another, but in this game theyre all on flying islands and poo poo and that's kind of in a way integral to the world theyre trying to build.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fremry posted:

The draw of BotW is the sense of wonder of discovery. This includes the plot, and if you don’t find the plot to be engaging and deep it’s because you didn’t explore enough or didn’t pay attention to the things you found. It’s plot is one of the best I’ve played in almost a decade.

those cutscenes are terrible

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The DLC cutscenes are the best ones.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I know and it doesn't apply to xenoblade.

The combat system takes like 6 hours to open up unless you start doing sidequests, which is quicker than Persona 5

Hot take; if Persona 5 takes 6 hours to get good, Persona 5 is a bad game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lol no one plays BOTW for the plot, it's kind of bad

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fremry posted:

The plot was the worst part of BotW. Most of the characters are incredibly weak and dull. I saw every cutscene in the game so it sure as hell isn't because I didn't pay enough attention.

That's why I'm so disappointed the DLC chose to focus on the 4 champions. I couldn't care less about those guys.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bleck posted:

Hot take; if Persona 5 takes 6 hours to get good, Persona 5 is a bad game
Of the 100 hours I spent with P5 I think I really enjoyed 50 of them because the other 50 were cutscenes to explain stuff that a child could figure out.

And I'd like to say that explanation was front loaded but unfortunately not. A few times in the middle of the game there's like two weeks straight of in-game time that is all cutscene except for Morgana telling you to go to bed. After the first one of those I quit the game in disgust and didn't return to it for a month.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Internet Kraken posted:

The plot was the worst part of BotW. Most of the characters are incredibly weak and dull. I saw every cutscene in the game so it sure as hell isn't because I didn't pay enough attention.

That's why I'm so disappointed the DLC chose to focus on the 4 champions. I couldn't care less about those guys.

To each their own, but I really liked the “poo poo is already hosed and has been for a long time” angle, kind of like when you become adult link in OoT. I also really liked piecing the story bits together. It was simple and not groundbreaking, but fun.

The only majorly weak thing I found was the actual voice acting outside of Urbosa, who was the best character.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
The story is fine, it's just extremely passive, like in Dark Souls 1.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Devoyniche posted:

You can fast travel to at least one point inside the battleship. I guess if you hadnt seen the cutscene you couldnt have just entered from the normal way, you would have had to jump and re enter through the original way you came in (going down onto that root and coming in through the bottom, I think), but you can also just warp back in.

I didn't actually have one yet and I couldn't get back in from the root. That's the way I exited.

empathe fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 27, 2017

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

The cutscenes are like 1/10th of the plot, and that’s being forgiving. There are single journals to discover that give more character and context to the plot than the cutscenes. And that sense of discovery is what made the original Zelda and this one such incredible games.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

empathe posted:

I didn't actually have one yet and I couldn't get back in from the root. That's the way I exited.
The root entrance itself is a fast travel point.

Did you back out of the Torigoth fast travel list and check the Titan Battleship list added to the Gormott fast travel list?

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Crawfish posted:

The root entrance itself is a fast travel point.

Did you back out of the Torigoth fast travel list and check the Titan Battleship list added to the Gormott fast travel list?

God this map system. No.
Anyway I was able to load and I'm into chapter 3 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rolo posted:

To each their own, but I really liked the “poo poo is already hosed and has been for a long time” angle, kind of like when you become adult link in OoT. I also really liked piecing the story bits together. It was simple and not groundbreaking, but fun.

The only majorly weak thing I found was the actual voice acting outside of Urbosa, who was the best character.

The setting is fine and the potential for a good story was there but its severely underutilized. The game has some good moments but they are few and far between. The game is huge but there isn't much story to be found in it. I'm not saying there aren't some cool set pieces and moments, but very little of it ties back into the overall plot to give it more weight.

Reality Loser posted:

The story is fine, it's just extremely passive, like in Dark Souls 1.

No

Dark Souls 1 has a ton of story and it really isn't even hidden. You have to piece together the exact plot beats yourself, especially to have a full understanding of what is going on, but there's lots of information the game gives you. As an example, almost every boss has some kind of lore behind it and some of it is pretty significant. By contrast, none of the bosses in Zelda have any lore other than Ganon. There is no story behind the 4 blights*. They are just shrieking monsters made by Ganon for you to kill. If it was a Dark Souls game you would be encouraged to think about what role those bosses had in the world and what their story is, but its not.

*Unless the DLC changed this but I highly doubt that

Fremry posted:

The cutscenes are like 1/10th of the plot, and that’s being forgiving. There are single journals to discover that give more character and context to the plot than the cutscenes. And that sense of discovery is what made the original Zelda and this one such incredible games.

I'd like to hear what journals you think give the same tons of plot cause I can't think of any outside of Hyrule Castle.

• Locked thread