Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Can’t speak for others but my marriage is pretty dope :shrug:

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/945646491955290113

Welp time to set up a google alert for “pee tape”.

e: yes I know not having one set up already is shameful A F.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
you know when the piss tape is released the internet will just loving die if ISPs dont get their bandwidth throttling for video streaming butt-gently caress set up in time

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Crakkerjakk posted:

SO and I are pretty explicit on "no having babies", but adoption seems like it might be a possibility. Getting to skip potty training and not sleeping through the night and going right to being able to talk seems pretty awesome, and there's a lot of kids that need homes.

There's a lot of early childhood development that can be pretty hosed by the time the kid reaches the talking stage. Seems like quite a risk to adopt one older than a newborn.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There's a lot of early childhood development that can be pretty hosed by the time the kid reaches the talking stage. Seems like quite a risk to adopt one older than a newborn.

Granted it's also a risk if you roll your own

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

mods change my name posted:

you know when the piss tape is released the internet will just loving die if ISPs dont get their bandwidth throttling for video streaming butt-gently caress set up in time

Piss tape tier will be $19.95/mo with a 12 month contract.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

boop the snoot posted:

Piss tape tier will be $19.95/mo with a 12 month contract.

And it would be worth it :colbert:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

somebody didn't read the article.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OrrinHatch/status/945375067927490560

The Salt Lake Tribune posted:

These things are often misunderstood. So, lest our readers, or the honoree himself, get the wrong impression, let us repeat the idea behind The Salt Lake Tribune’s Utahn of the Year designation.

The criteria are not set in stone. But this year, as many times in the past, The Tribune has assigned the label to the Utahn who, over the past 12 months, has done the most. Has made the most news. Has had the biggest impact. For good or for ill.

The selection of Sen. Orrin G. Hatch as the 2017 Utahn of the Year has little to do with the fact that, after 42 years, he is the longest-serving Republican senator in U.S. history, that he has been a senator from Utah longer than three-fifths of the state’s population has been alive.

It has everything to do with recognizing:

• Hatch’s part in the dramatic dismantling of the Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante national monuments.

• His role as chairman of the Senate Finance Committee in passing a major overhaul of the nation’s tax code.

His utter lack of integrity that rises from his unquenchable thirst for power.

Each of these actions stands to impact the lives of every Utahn, now and for years to come. Whether those Utahns approve or disapprove of those actions has little consequence in this specific recognition. Only the breadth and depth of their significance matters.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yeah being married is pretty loving great here.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Same. Having our first kid revealed some things that needed work with our relationship and ourselves. It took time to work through all of that but it was well worth it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My 7yr boy has made my marriage worse because we are too tired to do anything after dealing with his problems all day. That being said, therapy for him is improving but now we probably need marriage therapy.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

devmd01 posted:

Same. Having our first kid revealed some things that needed work with our relationship and ourselves. It took time to work through all of that but it was well worth it.

The only thing the marriage retreat ever really helped is making us realize love languages is a thing and we weren’t communicating properly.

Actually, knowing that communication is receiver based helps. If they don’t get the message, that’s your fault. Try a different way of communicating.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

My 7yr boy has made my marriage worse because we are too tired to do anything after dealing with his problems all day. That being said, therapy for him is improving but now we probably need marriage therapy.

It must be hard raising a 70 year old man with bad hair and ODD.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Soulex posted:

Actually, knowing that communication is receiver based helps. If they don’t get the message, that’s your fault. Try a different way of communicating.

I have found this to be one of the hardest things for people to understand. The whole idea that you need to communicate in way that makes sense to your listener more than your self.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Third World Reggin posted:

I have found this to be one of the hardest things for people to understand. The whole idea that you need to communicate in way that makes sense to your listener more than your self.

My mind exploded when we were taught it in class. A lot of the people on the class didn’t realize it’s everyday application. I had to draw it for my wife to get her to understand too. It’s a simple concept but difficult to really comprehend and apply.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

God bless the Trib. This is exactly the kind of poo poo Deseret News would've blocked if they won editorial control.

Third World Reggin posted:

:lol: I just want to save this to repost it every 3 pages in this thread.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hey did anything happen yet, I thought Trump said he expects the investigation to be wrapped up by Christmas.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Hey did anything happen yet, I thought Trump said he expects the investigation to be wrapped up by Christmas.

He posted some poo poo about FBI being corrupt.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Mueller is probably just putting the finishing touches on his letter of exoneration!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Same. I'm happy in ways I never could have imagined.

FAUXTON posted:

Granted it's also a risk if you roll your own

True, but at least you have a general idea of what kind of defects your own kid will have rather than the total surprise of an adoption.
Not that I'm trying to persuade anyone else, more saying that I am not nearly strong and stable enough to raise a mystery baby. People who can are more awesome than I am.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

My dad was adopted. He tried to get in contact with his real mom and she pretty much wrote back “don’t ever contact me again.”

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Soulex posted:

My dad was adopted. He tried to get in contact with his real mom and she pretty much wrote back “don’t ever contact me again.”

Sounds like he was better off

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Soulex posted:

As was my dad, except when I broached the subject of wanting to find out who his actual parents were his response was "I don't give a gently caress, they didn't raise me"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bolow posted:

As was my dad, except when I broached the subject of wanting to find out who his actual parents were his response was "I don't give a gently caress, they didn't raise me"

I was adopted and this is my feeling. Only reason to know who my natural parents are is for knowing genetic predispositions to disease.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
But if you adopt they're not really yours. A thing I heard from people who can't take care of a dog let alone child

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

what do we need to spin off a child rearing thread now too

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

My mom is adopted and so is my dad's brother. Lowers the barrier a lot on "what if the kid isn't perfect" IMO (especially since mom's non-adopted brother was kind of an idiot, so.) And if you're adopting once they're talking that will reveal a lot of the kind of early developmental stuff that will really screw someone up. Plus it's often almost a year long process, so it's not like you pull the trigger without meeting the kid(s).

My SO and I donate to a local place that takes in siblings who have been orphaned so they don't get split up. Was kind of thinking in that direction in a few years, maybe.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

what do we need to spin off a child rearing thread now too

what do you think the drunk thread is

thread name: Going out for a pack of smokes

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My gf and her twin sister are adopted, i got her one of those ancestryDNA kits and her sister got 23 and me for Christmas

So we're gonna have a little experiment to see how the services work on identical twins.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Got a NatGeo/Helix kit for Christmas. More interested in ancestry, don't want to know if I'm getting early onset Alzheimer's.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Got my mom one for dogs

I don't even know why she asked for it because all her dogs are from the shelter but an ask is an ask

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

But if you adopt they're not really yours. A thing I heard from people who can't take care of a dog let alone child
"Plus, you're helping to ensure the survival of genes belonging to people who couldn't manage basic family planning or take care of a kid." :rolleye:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

FAUXTON posted:

Got my mom one for dogs

I don't even know why she asked for it because all her dogs are from the shelter but an ask is an ask

We got one of those years ago for our shelter dog (Christmas present also) and the results were basically "Jesus Christ we have no idea, we stopped counting at like 12 breeds"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Smiling Jack posted:

We got one of those years ago for our shelter dog (Christmas present also) and the results were basically "Jesus Christ we have no idea, we stopped counting at like 12 breeds"

Probably the same

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

"Plus, you're helping to ensure the survival of genes belonging to people who couldn't manage basic family planning or take care of a kid." :rolleye:

Those people are idiots.

I get it wanting to be your kid, but genetics does not mean you are better at finances. I love watching these people make logical fallacy after logical fallacy.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
Idiocracy is the best trap there is for getting otherwise decent, politically-correct people to let their inner eugenicist out.

Angus McAWESOME
Mar 18, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Probably the same

Is there a trick to making your dog look like a gnarled old SNCO who's just tired of everyone's poo poo?

Seriously though, give that pup some scritches for me. Cool dog, mang.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dead Reckoning posted:

If I heard someone say that I'd probably punch them in the throat :)

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

My gf and her twin sister are adopted, i got her one of those ancestryDNA kits and her sister got 23 and me for Christmas

So we're gonna have a little experiment to see how the services work on identical twins.

I took both on myself and got substantially different results.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Angus McAWESOME posted:

Is there a trick to making your dog look like a gnarled old SNCO who's just tired of everyone's poo poo?

Seriously though, give that pup some scritches for me. Cool dog, mang.

He looks a lot better now, that was from when they'd just got him and he wasn't allowed to be bathed/clipped because he's gotten a big lipoma taken off his scalp.

So in addition to looking like that, he stank to high hell and had a bunch of stitches on top of his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Milo and POTUS posted:

If I heard someone say that I'd probably punch them in the throat :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nature_versus_nurture

to get back on topic, the children of the very rich should be taken away so they don't learn to be complete pieces of poo poo

• Locked thread