Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

In Training posted:

If any game is gonna be the most popular game in the world I prefer the simple honesty of a Battle Royale rip-off than DOTA2.

it still doesnt warrant running resi 7 off, though agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

theyve played a fuckton of PUBG and clearly loved it (their quicklook of it is like 3 hours long because they lost track of time) so if it ends up getting goty or sitting up there, thats just what they were into.

it's a fad and it'll be replaced by the next game that works out the kinks in its predecessor like pubg did to dayz, and it's obviously just a fun little diversion compared to truly incredible games like mario, but hell, cant deny ive lost whole evenings to it

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

extremebuff posted:

theyve played a fuckton of PUBG and clearly loved it (their quicklook of it is like 3 hours long because they lost track of time) so if it ends up getting goty or sitting up there, thats just what they were into.

it's a fad and it'll be replaced by the next game that works out the kinks in its predecessor like pubg did to dayz, and it's obviously just a fun little diversion compared to truly incredible games like mario, but hell, cant deny ive lost whole evenings to it

yeah this is how i feel about it. i get the criticisms but ultimately if pubg wins because they played a billion hours of it and had a lot of fun that's more palatable to me than like any position brad's taken in eight years

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/a3nepz/the-best-games-of-2017-day-1-xcom-pubg
https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/kznbez/the-best-games-of-2017-day-two

??????

The various Battlegrounds participants are numerous and bloodthirsty, caught in loops of death and rebirth onto the battlegrounds. Each is nameless—just movement on the horizon or the source of muzzle flash—until after their (or your) death, lending an air of mystery to each encounter, anonymous bodies stalking each other through the fog and ruins. Every other character in Erangel or Miramar is a real person, but they are as alien to you as you are to them, known only by gunshot sounds and the dead in their wake.

?????

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i knew sonic mania wasnt gonna win in best ost, given whats been released this year, but i was surprised they didnt even reconsider it after the initial listen.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

GB in general has always had lovely taste in games so I don't think anyone actually cares if PUBG wins (it will), but I honestly think if it does this years list will look completely loving stupid in a few years when compared to the myriad of incredible games that came out with a one-off flash in the pan game taking the top spot. Like imagine if Frog Fractions won GOTY how dumb that would look today

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

i dont get why people are acting like PUBG is a fad. its a really really good and repeatable concept for a round-based multiplayer game

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

It's a game mode you need 100 people for in an environment where multiplayer games struggle to launch nevermind maintain a userbase (Lawbreakers, lmao). Now imagine a dozen copycat games watering it down further

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
again, game looks fun adn probably has well earned success, i just dont think its surprising given the success of its predecessor and probably how THAT one shaped the industry more than pubg, and thus doesnt deserve kicking out stuff like re7 in this category

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Contrast the way they dismissed NieR: Automata as Yoko Taro with more resources vs. Jeff bringing up the same thing for PlayerUnknown and Battlegrounds

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

GB in general has always had lovely taste in games so I don't think anyone actually cares if PUBG wins (it will), but I honestly think if it does this years list will look completely loving stupid in a few years when compared to the myriad of incredible games that came out with a one-off flash in the pan game taking the top spot. Like imagine if Frog Fractions won GOTY how dumb that would look today

this is true

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Brad can't beat Chemical Plant Zone in Sonic Mania, his opinion and constant pet project of getting Destiny 2 on every list should be ignored.

I mean imagine the sad life where Destiny 2 is your GOTY.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

The Milkman posted:

every goty i look forward to shaking my head at brad

Brad: Nintendo has just completely dropped the ball on the technical side of multiplayer

Brad, 10 minutes later on Destiny: Uhh, are we really going to hold server issues against a game?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

PneumonicBook posted:

Brad can't beat Chemical Plant Zone in Sonic Mania, his opinion and constant pet project of getting Destiny 2 on every list should be ignored.

I mean imagine the sad life where Destiny 2 is your GOTY.

The Milkman posted:

Brad: Nintendo has just completely dropped the ball on the technical side of multiplayer

Brad, 10 minutes later on Destiny: Uhh, are we really going to hold server issues against a game?

i just wanna say that both of these where the most insane poo poo today

he tried to list the switch under hottest mess wtf

someone brought up for sonic like "every first stage is a classic level remake, each second stage is new stuff" and he freaked out remembering "THE SECOND STAGE"

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

i dont get why people are acting like PUBG is a fad. its a really really good and repeatable concept for a round-based multiplayer game

i think pubg is really fun, but if something else comes out that distills all the good stuff and cuts more of the fat like dayz->pubg, it'll get left in the dust. and right now multiple giant companies are in a race to do just that lol

that said the 1.0 patch was a lot more impressive than i thought it would be

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

elf help book posted:

i just wanna say that both of these where the most insane poo poo today

The 'taking server issues into account' in the loving MULTIPLAYER portion is a level of cognitive dissonance I can't even start to process.

elf help book posted:

someone brought up for sonic like "every first stage is a classic level remake, each second stage is new stuff" and he freaked out remembering "THE SECOND STAGE"

Yea but the point they were making was completely lot on him because he's seen three levels of the game. I'm pretty sure I watched him fail spectacularly at Chemical Plant 1 on stream, so he didn't even get to the remixed version. That's doubly hilarious because that zone's boss is the hilarious riff on Mean Bean Machine.

Basically what I'm saying is Brad has become the worst Giant Bomb member.

Edit: He then argues for The Mummy based off of 'it should have been bad'. lol forever

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 27, 2017

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

you can’t say brad “has become” the worst GB member as if he hasn’t been for years

rorie doesn’t count because he’s only in like 5% of content produced (thank god)

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Brad's "destiny 2 might not have the best art, but it has the most art" argument is going to seamlessly transition into 5 hours of "we didn't put 20+ hours of <non-loot game> footage up on the site, remember how intense the raid was? dude!" and i can't wait for the feature length video of alex shaking his head through all of it as destiny pushes nier out of the top 10

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

PneumonicBook posted:

The 'taking server issues into account' in the loving MULTIPLAYER portion is a level of cognitive dissonance I can't evens tart to process.

Yea but the point they were making was completely lot on him because he's seen three levels of the game. I'm pretty sure I watched him fail spectacularly at Chemical Plant 1 on stream, so he didn't even get to the remixed version. That's doubly hilarious because that zone's boss is the hilarious riff on Mean Bean Machine.

Basically what I'm saying is Brad has become the worst Giant Bomb member.

Edit: He then argues for The Mummy based off of 'it should have been bad'. lol forever

brad actually revisted chemical plant zone on another stream, got to the mean bean boss, and somehow got the bug where sonic doesnt leave the pod after you win and the game became softlocked.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

elf help book posted:

brad actually revisted chemical plant zone on another stream, got to the mean bean boss, and somehow got the bug where sonic doesnt leave the pod after you win and the game became softlocked.

loving amazing. The game knew.

Kaubocks posted:

you can’t say brad “has become” the worst GB member as if he hasn’t been for years

rorie doesn’t count because he’s only in like 5% of content produced (thank god)

That's valid.

It's cool that he (and Jeff kind of) are so far super hype on chip tunes this year when they dunked all over Undertale a couple of years ago. Also Dan trying to play Tropical Freeze was fantastic.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The best multiplayer stuff wasn’t too bad until they realised they didn’t have room for Destiny 2 and had to upend the discussion.

lol every time they made excuses for Destiny 2’s mess of competitive play because it’s has coop too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

drat....RIP splatoon 2 in multiplayer. its remarkable that abby played it for a hundred hours and her best argument for it was that it was Very Good

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

elf help book posted:

stil loling at both of these, excited to see what incredible moments brad brings us today

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Giant Bomb GOTY stuff makes more sense when you realize that it’s not so much about actual game critique as it is about everyone having fun at the end of the year playing a really exaggerated character version of themselves like On Cinema At The Cinema or something

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Giant Bomb GOTY stuff makes more sense when you realize that it’s not so much about actual game critique as it is about everyone having fun at the end of the year playing a really exaggerated character version of themselves like On Cinema At The Cinema or something

it must be psychologically exhausting to record 30 hours of conversations about this stuff

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

it must be psychologically exhausting to record 30 hours of conversations about this stuff

that why they should come prepared with notes like austin

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

The fact that Austin got his own website then immediately hired Patrick is some grade A monkey's paw poo poo

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

The Milkman posted:

Lmao i will kill Brad

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

this isnt GB exclusive but I will never, ever understand the complaint that Splatoon doesnt have voice chat when everybody on the planet immediately turns off voice chat in any online game that isnt COD4 on a 360 in 2008

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

this isnt GB exclusive but I will never, ever understand the complaint that Splatoon doesnt have voice chat when everybody on the planet immediately turns off voice chat in any online game that isnt COD4 on a 360 in 2008

i dont play the game but i think the map and mode rotation is cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Me too, it makes most sense in league because you have 2 hours to learn a map. Ranked too but the timed leaderboard idea in league is so awesome and a great way to solve the issue 1 had with trying to balance ranked matchmaking when you could solo queue or queue with a friend.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i like to play turf war the most so i have some issues with partying up with friends that hold me back from calling splatoon "best multiplayer" but yeah its wild they push the drawbacks of the switch itself (re: voice chat) regarding voice chat onto splatoon

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i think friend codes are good :twisted:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Problem with Splatoon 2 is sometimes you got to play the same maps. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds gets around this problem by...

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In Training posted:

I miss voice chat in games but its more like an old childhood fondness for playing on half life mod servers or just shooting the breeze in tf2 with alltalk on so you can talk smack to your friends on red team.

If I'm playing a team game now we just use any of the billion different private voice chat programs if we need to cooperate.

I am a bit sad that because games have skipped over integrated voice chat in games it means the vary rare game mechanic of messing with or intercepting voice communication is gone though. I only remember spies vs mercs using it really.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

In Training posted:

If I understand it correctly tho, it does have voice chat it’s just on an app you have to download to your phone which, is loving stupid

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Its up

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

vaginal facsimile posted:

If I understand it correctly tho, it does have voice chat it’s just on an app you have to download to your phone which, is loving stupid

its just between friends, so theres no reason to use it over discord, skype, slack or whatever other app your preference is. i do the same thing for ps4 and pc games too, i cant remember the last time i used integrated voice.

Sharkopath posted:

I miss voice chat in games but its more like an old childhood fondness for playing on half life mod servers or just shooting the breeze in tf2 with alltalk on so you can talk smack to your friends on red team.

If I'm playing a team game now we just use any of the billion different private voice chat programs if we need to cooperate.

I am a bit sad that because games have skipped over integrated voice chat in games it means the vary rare game mechanic of messing with or intercepting voice communication is gone though. I only remember spies vs mercs using it really.

this is true, stuff like the Halo 2 (3?) thing where you could hear their mic for 2 seconds after you killed them were awesome and basically impossible to recreate now

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i used to play VF5 against some greek with an open mic on ps3. his nick was hellenic pride and he dressed up his goh like the greek flag, and he was always shouting like a madman about showcasing ancient greek martial arts techniques

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Dan: how is dream daddy any different from hateoful boyfriend

Lmfao