Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

WhiteWolf123 posted:

So are all the Land Raider variants and custom-built Land Raider options in Chapter Approved only for Open Play and not for Matched Play, since the information is located in the Open Play section of the book? The custom LRs still don't look good enough to be overly-competitive for Matched Play...

Yes, it's all intended for Open only. You can of course discuss with opponents about using them in matched, but don't just turn up with them and expect to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Can someone tell me what a typical Elite Death Guard list looks like?

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
yeaaah son

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Two Beans posted:

yeaaah son

Sick, how's the quality? Been waffling on getting a pair since they were announced.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

SteelMentor posted:

Sick, how's the quality? Been waffling on getting a pair since they were announced.

Only had them out of the box for an hour, but they seem to be on par with Chucks. They also have a zipper that allows you to separate the canvas from the sole for washing.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

OhDearGodNo posted:

I have been productive over the holidays, however the Repulser has taken me longer than I had thought. It’s about 90% complete, also all weapons are magnetized.

I sometimes wonder what I was smoking to decide to paint Space Mongols :negative:

Because White Scars are incredible and are criminally under represented on the table top and in the fluff. If you haven't yet, pick up the 30k books Brotherhood of the Storm, Scars and Path of Heaven.

serious gaylord posted:

I have a Perturabo undercoated on a shelf thats been there since his early release at a horus heresy weekender in I want to say May 2015? All my paints are dead and my brushes wasted away.

I do not have time for this awful hobby anymore yet I spent a not insignificant portion of my day looking through things and doing some big hmmm noises.

It takes a bit of adjusting but 8th plays faster, has more depth via stratagems and there is a whole lot less bullshit than 7th. Its pretty close to being fun even.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

adamantium|wang posted:

Because White Scars are incredible and are criminally under represented on the table top and in the fluff. If you haven't yet, pick up the 30k books Brotherhood of the Storm, Scars and Path of Heaven.
They're tainted from the start by being an army of mass painting solid white.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I love those White Scar! Here's hoping for some Primaris bikers.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

adamantium|wang posted:

I’m still trying to work my way up to it in order, I think I have only a few more before I reach Scars (on Vulkan Lives right now)

I can’t wait until Primaris bikers are released, probably won’t be until I fully kit my outriders out.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005
Hi all! I'm a relatively new player that started a 500 point group will my four buddies 6 months ago, and oops! Now we're all 3000+. After years of painting D&D minis, working on my giant foot slogging ork green tide has been a real pleasure!

Anyways, my group and I are in the City of Chicago, so I figure I'd really be passing up an easy opportunity to enjoy Adepticon, so I bought a pass. Do you think it'd be worthwhile to sign up for the Patrol or Championship tournament just for the fun of playing? If wait-listed for those, is there any real chance of seeing action?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I'm looking to get back into playing 40k and I'd like to build a Salamanders army. I'm looking to be competitive. Does anyone have a list they could share? I'm just trying to figure out what models to get first.

kommisar
Jan 2, 2007

ChineseConnection posted:

Hi all! I'm a relatively new player that started a 500 point group will my four buddies 6 months ago, and oops! Now we're all 3000+. After years of painting D&D minis, working on my giant foot slogging ork green tide has been a real pleasure!

Anyways, my group and I are in the City of Chicago, so I figure I'd really be passing up an easy opportunity to enjoy Adepticon, so I bought a pass. Do you think it'd be worthwhile to sign up for the Patrol or Championship tournament just for the fun of playing? If wait-listed for those, is there any real chance of seeing action?

At this point I’d say it’s pretty unlikely. I’m playing in the friendly and it filled up in like 20 minutes. I think some goons are planning some kind of meet up at some point during the weekend and I’d be down for some games. Also I’m about 30 minutes south of the city if you ever make it out to the burbs.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

OhDearGodNo posted:

I’m still trying to work my way up to it in order, I think I have only a few more before I reach Scars (on Vulkan Lives right now)

Scars is definitely one of my favorite Horus Heresy books by far. I especially like the Earthman White Scars Khan. A character that totally makes sense and is interesting for the Heresy. There is an amazing fight at the end too.

There is so very weird "We no speak-ee Engrish good" stuff when they talk to normal Imperials, but isn't as bad as it could be.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
My pics are garbage but I finished a few mans this week.

My Space Marine Captain (the Store Anniversary captain) and one of the sergeants from the Dark Imperium box. I found these cool lion shoulders for my captain and got some lion emblems from shapeways so I'm calling my chapter Royal Lions.

A sergeant and my infantry commander for my faux-Praetorians.

I'm intntionally using the same basing on my IG and my Space Marines as I intend to field them together.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't believe they didn't number the pieces on the Trygon kit.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

lil' fella's coming along nicely

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bucnasti posted:

My pics are garbage but I finished a few mans this week.

My Space Marine Captain (the Store Anniversary captain) and one of the sergeants from the Dark Imperium box. I found these cool lion shoulders for my captain and got some lion emblems from shapeways so I'm calling my chapter Royal Lions.

A sergeant and my infantry commander for my faux-Praetorians.

I'm intntionally using the same basing on my IG and my Space Marines as I intend to field them together.

Awesome purple. What was your technique?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I'm already salivating over the nurgle stuff, these releases have reduced my nurgle 40k wishlist to:

-Nurgle upgrade kit for the plastic Daemon Prince to replace the finecast Nurgle Prince that requires a conversion to put wings on him
- Plague Marines on Rot Flies
-An overarching allegiance bonus for all nurgle models.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GreenMarine posted:

That display is going to be really cool. What did you use to burn out the styrofoam? Also, use a mask, goon...

Uroboros posted:

Your display is going to make mine look like a boring pile of dicks. Guess I'll just have to go on my superior looks to impress the judges.

Thanks guys. I used a propane torch to burn out the river... no mask (though I did do it in the garage and turned a fan on blowing out the open door... in -6 degrees).

Ilor posted:

I'm Legs McFuzzyboots.

My girlfriend laughed at this and decided to get in another photobomb :)

Plastered the board, gf made some icicles in the cave which was really awesome until I realized they'd go away once I painted :(

Base painted - photobomb

Cliffs and river painted - added rocks to the river and top of waterfall

Next steps are to:
1. Apply some dead grass flock to areas of the cliffs and walkways (along cliffs) and around the river
2. Apply some reeds along areas of the river
3. Paint some lichen on the bottom levels of the cliffs and around the waterfall
4. First layer of "real water"
5. Paint the platforms cream or bone
6. Create the waterfall and paint it
7. Apply second later of "real water" mixed with some white paint and maybe a little bit of light blue
8. Strip and paint the extra bits (totems and destroyed scout sentinel)
9. Apply snow flock
10. Varnish the display
11. Varnish the wood
12. Buy a brass plaque and nail to the frame
13. ???
14. Drink

I'm hoping to be done through step 8 by Saturday, then I'll finish out the rest next week. Not sure what to do yet with the board above the cliffs.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Honestly I think I would just cut off the board above the cliffs. It doesn't seem high enough to provide a real sense of background.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Mortarian...something something dark side...

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Awesome purple. What was your technique?

Thank you, after trying a ton of different combinations of paints, shades, glazes and tints from every other manufacturer, what finally got me where I wanted was just the basic GW formula: Xereus Purple base, Druchii Violet shade and Genestealer Purple highlight.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Partial Octopus posted:

I'm looking to get back into playing 40k and I'd like to build a Salamanders army. I'm looking to be competitive. Does anyone have a list they could share? I'm just trying to figure out what models to get first.

The salamanders rule is one reroll hit and one reroll wound per squad. I like running at least 3-4 5-man tactical squads with Lascannon because of this.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

The salamanders rule is one reroll hit and one reroll wound per squad. I like running at least 3-4 5-man tactical squads with Lascannon because of this.

Las/ML Dreads seem primo for this.

post what you painted this week itt

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

adamantium|wang posted:

It takes a bit of adjusting but 8th plays faster, has more depth via stratagems and there is a whole lot less bullshit than 7th. Its pretty close to being fun even.

Playing the game still has no appeal to me tbh, I might paint something. Can you get Custodes on their own?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

serious gaylord posted:

Playing the game still has no appeal to me tbh, I might paint something. Can you get Custodes on their own?

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Custodian-Guard-Squad-2017

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

serious gaylord posted:

Custodes tend to be half price or so on eBay because there was a big box set that includes them. Definitely check there first.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Save yourself some arseache by also picking up a can of Retributor Gold spray. And depending on how you paint gold, maybe look into the gloss versions of the shades. I believe they do Agrax, Sepia, and Reikland Fleshshade.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 27, 2017

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Plague Marine troops and whatever combination of characters, tanks, and Daemon engines suits your style. Typical lists tend to include 2-3 Plagueburst Crawlers babysat by a barebones Chaos Lord to improve their BS. Daemon Princes of Nurgle are great since they actually get the Disgustingly Resilient bonus unlike the other carry-overs from the standard CSM codex. The new Malefic Blighthaulers are a decent choice for mobile cover and ok anti-tank but I’m not sure how often you’d see them in truly competitive list.

Basically almost everything is great and it’s really up to what you like. I personally have found Foul Blightspawns to be worth their weight in gold, they can nuke hard targets surprisingly well with their vomitflamer and their stink ability is actually pretty helpful against melee-heavy armies (though useless is only one unit charges at a time).

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

:madmax:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Save yourself some arseache by also picking up a can of Retributor Gold spray. And depending on how you paint gold, maybe look into the gloss versions of the shades. I believe they do Agrax, Sepia, and Reikland Fleshshade.

I just want to have a go at doing Aquillon, and I'd do it in NMM if I had another go painting stuff.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Would you recommend the gloss shade for gold emblems like the chest Aquila?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I don't. Maybe it'd be good if you used the matte version to line the chest eagle and the gloss on the inside, but if it's all gloss it just looks bad next to matte armor.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Boon posted:

My girlfriend laughed at this and decided to get in another photobomb :)
Hahaha, nice.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you do the waterfall. I've done static water effects before, but never moving water.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
New Nurgle herald types.

Spoilpox Scrivener buffs the gently caress out of your Plaguebearers by screaming insults at them.

And the Sloppity Bilepiper, which is one hell of a name.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Uroboros posted:

Would you recommend the gloss shade for gold emblems like the chest Aquila?

Provisionally, yeah. I've not used it myself for that purpose but it makes sense. The idea behind them is that they avoid muting the shine on metallics. Mostly I like them because they collect in recesses more easily and stain flat areas less.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I don't. Maybe it'd be good if you used the matte version to line the chest eagle and the gloss on the inside, but if it's all gloss it just looks bad next to matte armor.

Good point.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 27, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

SteelMentor posted:

New Nurgle herald types.

Spoilpox Scrivener buffs the gently caress out of your Plaguebearers by screaming insults at them.

With half of these Nurgle models I feel like the designers knocked out a hilarious Nurgling then had to find a justification for releasing them so they sculpted up a proper model as well.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

SteelMentor posted:

New Nurgle herald types.

these names are real aren't they

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

zeal posted:

these names are real aren't they

GW is GW again, and it's magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Say what you will about GW's naming schemes and I'll happily agree with you. But, goddamn, Sloppity Bilepiper is a good one.