Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

is it not valid to be concerned about what kind of things these shows might be imparting on our children

Dec 26, 2012

For the love of Hatt, Thomas!

Yes, for the love of Hatt!

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

if there's one thing that 2017 has taught me, it's that we apparently did not have more important issues to care about

edit: now if your kid is constantly watching those creepy-rear end youtube videos with disney IPs, then you've got a problem

Those "Elsa Cheats on Spider-Man with Mickey Mouse" videos are helping our children become the posters of tomorrow. By the time they're in 6th grade, they'll be posting at a CSPAM level.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

MizPiz posted:

Those "Elsa Cheats on Spider-Man with Mickey Mouse" videos are helping our children become the posters of tomorrow. By the time they're in 6th grade, they'll be posting at a CSPAM level.

fkin kids taking my job, it's china all over again

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

MizPiz posted:

The les enfants shitposters project is bearing fruit.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

whomupclicklike posted:

is it not valid to be concerned about what kind of things these shows might be imparting on our children

Have you ever tried turning off the loving television?

coathat
May 21, 2007

It’s important to teach kids to respect authority or else they’ll walk into traffic or some other stupid poo poo because they’re dumb as hell

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

business hammocks posted:

It’s about limitations of his articulated worldview, not diagnosing the essential nature of his secret innermost soul.

No it's about a bunch of leftier than thou jackasses trying to ruin our ability to use words to talk about politics by pretending that everyone to the right of the DSA is a "neoliberal". Words have meanings, and the guy calling for large scale reparations is not neoliberal.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

dsa is neoliberal

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Holy poo poo Cornel West's tooth gap is real, I thought he just put a raisin there for effect

Shikantaza
Sep 10, 2016
This reminds me to read my copy of How to Read Donald Duck: Imperialist Ideology in the Disney Comic

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Patrick Spens posted:

No it's about a bunch of leftier than thou jackasses trying to ruin our ability to use words to talk about politics by pretending that everyone to the right of the DSA is a "neoliberal". Words have meanings, and the guy calling for large scale reparations is not neoliberal.

West does not accuse Coates of inhabiting the identity of a neoliberal because he is a professional philosopher who knows how to use language more precisely than a bunch of twitter undergrads. Where is this passage from his piece everyone is thinking of?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Patrick Spens posted:

Cornel West, noted "leftier than thou jackass" and his nefarious plot to destroy political discourse.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Blocked. Blocked. Blocked. You're all blocked. None of you are free of neoliberalism

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's possible to support reparations and a neoliberal economic agenda at the same time, because people generally aren't ideologically consistent and largely self-serving. Not saying that TNC is definitely a neoliberal, but just saying.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's possible to support reparations and a neoliberal economic agenda at the same time, because people generally aren't ideologically consistent and largely self-serving. Not saying that TNC is definitely a neoliberal, but just saying.

yeah I was confused on how reparations proved anything.

it seems more in line with Neoliberalisms more self satisfaction motif.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think the salient part here is that most of the people who are mad at West for criticizing TNC can't muster up a reason for it beyond the objection to the word "neoiliberal". The substance of West's argument almost never comes up.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Chieves posted:

Thomas... Is good. I had a lot of the trains growing up and enjoyed making them crash via complex helltracks.

ol' thomas is a tough motherfucker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me5ifeBFaFo

watch him stick those corkscrews like a badass x-gamer

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

whomupclicklike posted:

you're assuming they have values of any kind, positive or negative, beyond "kids like trains" or "kids like cartoon dogs doing things." if you're letting television raise your kids to this level then you deserve what happens to them

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I mean I watched thomas the tank engine as a kid and as far as I can tell I'm not an imperialist, fascist, or sexist

I'm like 99% sure that's because my mom did her damndest to teach my sister and I how to think though

So just do that for your kids if you care about them

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Shugojin posted:

I mean I watched thomas the tank engine as a kid and as far as I can tell I'm not an imperialist, fascist, or sexist

I'm like 99% sure that's because my mom did her damndest to teach my sister and I how to think though

So just do that for your kids if you care about them

Quotin dis for the thread btw because it's a dumb as poo poo take if I'm being honest

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Taintrunner posted:

I mean, it’s probably worth looking into what the media we put in front of our kids teaches them.

It's true, my parents let me watch men in black so much as a kid that I got into will Smith's rap career

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

you're assuming they have values of any kind, positive or negative, beyond "kids like trains" or "kids like cartoon dogs doing things." if you're letting television raise your kids to this level then you deserve what happens to them

yeah but do the kids deserve it?

also it's not like there aren't a shitload of thomas the tank engine books

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Small brain: Thomas the Tank Engine

Galaxy brain: Ivor the Engine

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

It was definitely better than that lame Theodore the Tugboat poo poo

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

In addition to that it's entirely consistent to support reparations and be neoliberal because only recognising non-class divisions/disadvantages/privileges is a very neoliberal thing to do.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
What is the ideal summary of the West critique of TNC that doesn't dumbify West's words but also doesn't involve sifting through tweets?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zeris posted:

What is the ideal summary of the West critique of TNC that doesn't dumbify West's words but also doesn't involve sifting through tweets?

Why not West's words themselves?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i didn't know that Coates wrote a new book, let alone one that celebrated Obama as something other than a wimp president

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
who the gently caress is the 'we' in that take

characters in the movie: kylo ren still has good in him

me: kill that little binch immediately

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

I'm not at all saying that you should let a television set raise your children but I don't think it's far-fetched at all to think that a child will pick up at least something from what they watch or read.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

whomupclicklike posted:

I'm not at all saying that you should let a television set raise your children but I don't think it's far-fetched at all to think that a child will pick up at least something from what they watch or read.

Yeah it's weird to me that we're getting pushback to the idea that we should critically examine the media that children consume, when we also generally acknowledge that there's a lot of media out there with deliberately crafted messaging to shape our beliefs.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the labor strike episode of spongebob made me a communist

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

He killed his dad, as we all must

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

lol they probably don't have to worry about it