Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

By the way, the titanium kinetic weapon deals more damage to missiles and strikecraft than the generic T3 kinetic. Only the purple kinetic exceeds it. :v:

Edit: If your ships are able to get behind enemy ships, then your ships will keep dealing damage while the enemy ships will not since the turrets don't cover the rear. Obviously this can happen to you so always keep ships in all three lanes!

Danann fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I literally do not understand how to shuffle up my ships and say who goes where. They're not clickable on. They just do it based on what the card says. If you're saying "have three ships" then okay.

e: if they're clickable on i'm going to flip my poo poo. They couldn't have muted out that purple any harder to tell me "don't even bother i'm background noise that doesn't matter"

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

You click and drag the desired ships in the advanced tactics screen iirc. However you cannot empty the center lane so it always needs a ship there.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Krinkle posted:

Is there a point to using armor and ballistic weapons? I'm honestly wondering why they're in the game at all? Either you use shields, which regenerate to full every turn, and missiles/lasers, which let you attack from the longest range, and survive every single battle at full health, or use ballistics and armor and die, now or later.

I'm just wondering if there's some module I never found that mitigates Definitely Losing Health to chip damage from an infinite pile of pirates worth losing your fleets over.

Like, is there a reason to ever not stack shield heroes on shield ships and using the card "power to shields" because everything else wipes my fleet sooner or later and shuffling up my deck baffles me because one hundred percent of these cards look awful. I would never use the "I'm planning on dying here so i'm going to get extra XP after its over for the survivors" strategy. I'm not going to risk my fleet taking damage to get twenty extra dust. The only one that looks even usable in a niche case is diplomatic immunity but I'd rather just pile on more shields and babysit them with a vodyani admiral.

Quick answer: Always max shields, use energy or optionally mix in some missiles.

Longer: Any given defense type requires more than a single module to be effective. For shields, it takes about ~3-4 for the absorption rate to get high enough to guarantee that the shields will all get used up before your hull dies to other stuff. Once you get there, anything additional is just raw effective hp on the ship (not a bad thing!) For Plating, it has this fun positive feedback, where the more plating you have, the more phsical dmg is ignored totally, resulting in huge effective hp gains. Ideally, shields provide a flat +hp bonus while plating scales exponentially. For the bigger hulls, this can be a factor of 10-ish in effective hp. But that doesn't loving matter because who the gently caress uses 100% missiles/kinetics?? So you look at worse-case scenarios. Where, as mentioned before, with enough shields you can eat a moderate amount of physical dmg, but no amount of plating will save you from lasers. Plating is a huuuge gamble that your opponent is heavily/exclusively physical, with a massive payoff. Or you can just get shields, which work okish v missiles. Oh, and regenerate after the fight.

I think kinetics are supposed to be some sort of support module in a metagame that currently doesn't exist, where they hard counter missles and strike craft. But bomber fleets are non-existent, and even if they did they don't out-dps traditional weapons enough to be worth it.

So meh. Take shields, and guns that work at range. The end.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Krinkle posted:

I literally do not understand how to shuffle up my ships and say who goes where. They're not clickable on. They just do it based on what the card says. If you're saying "have three ships" then okay.

e: if they're clickable on i'm going to flip my poo poo. They couldn't have muted out that purple any harder to tell me "don't even bother i'm background noise that doesn't matter"

Yes, it is the least notable thing in that entire UI that you have to interact with in order to change ship location.

Its the little arrows on the left hand side of the Advanced Battle info whatever screen when you get notified of the fight. Keep in mind, the different battle tactics have different squigly lines that determine where your ship goes. That where the different ranges of weapons mechanic culminate to their last decision point into what it does for a fight.

The top and bottom squigly lines doesnt unlock to fiddle with until you have enough CP worth of ships in that fight.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 20, 2017

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

lol why is this loving game so opaque

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Literally didnt figure out advanced tactics till 20 hrs in

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm assuming these massive swarms of small Craver ships stacked with missiles are rolling my Imperial medium stacks because no amount of flak can overcome the sheer amount of missiles being thrown at me. I guess mixed fleet compositions are good now? At least for countering this?

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 20, 2017

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

My alliance got me into a war, cravers take my planet, alliance member takes it back, I ask for it, they tell me, literally, "go swivel"
I tried offering a lot of money but they would rather have the system.

Is there anything I can do besides declaring war on my alliance until I get it back?

e: oh they love technology. Okay.

e2: haha next time I'm not going to ever ally with trees as they take it as an invitation to vine up my poo poo and steal my nebulas. Like, they're their nebulas now. Rude.

e3: how does the AI give me these loving ultimatums? Pay me all your dust or ship construction costs are five times for a dozen turns. How do I give people bullshit ultimatums? My diplomacy is like please may I have a trading deal here is a prize and when he says no as far as I can tell his ship building cost doesn't go up.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 20, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm assuming these massive swarms of small Craver ships stacked with missiles are rolling my Imperial medium stacks because no amount of flak can overcome the sheer amount of missiles being thrown at me. I guess mixed fleet compositions are good now? At least for countering this?

Read my above post. If his armies are literally 100% missiles you can retrofit your ships quickly (but expensively) to hard counter them. I don't know the exact mechanics, but flak guns have diminishing returns iirc in terms of missile defense? That's word-of-mouth, however. In either case you're still letting them spend most of the fight (as the AI will pick a long-range tactic) at a distance, before half your fleet dies and you get close enough to fire back. I'd recommend getting energy guns (maaaaaybe one flak slot), the best plating you can, and the simple turtle tactics. You'll be firing back during all phases of combat instead of just the final 1/3. Also: are you fleets nominally comparable? He might have out-teched you. Look at the combined atk/def scores of the fleets. Playing smart only gets you so far against raw force.

Krinkle posted:

My alliance got me into a war, cravers take my planet, alliance member takes it back, I ask for it, they tell me, literally, "go swivel"
I tried offering a lot of money but they would rather have the system.

Is there anything I can do besides declaring war on my alliance until I get it back?

e: oh they love technology. Okay.

e2: haha next time I'm not going to ever ally with trees as they take it as an invitation to vine up my poo poo and steal my nebulas. Like, they're their nebulas now. Rude.

e3: how does the AI give me these loving ultimatums? Pay me all your dust or ship construction costs are five times for a dozen turns. How do I give people bullshit ultimatums? My diplomacy is like please may I have a trading deal here is a prize and when he says no as far as I can tell his ship building cost doesn't go up.

#2: Allying with the trees should be fine, they won't steal your system if you're ALLIES. Also check the nebula bonus, it might be your alliance's name instead of just him. Unless you're maybe at peace? Cuz gently caress being peace with the trees, they steal your poo poo. Either ally asap or burn them to the ground.
#3: It's diplomatic pressure. Check the bar during the negotiation screen, near the top. Or during the multi-species overview you can see it in the wedges. You get pressure for being bigger generally, but more specifically stuff like pushing (and winning) on their borders with influence, bigger fleets, etc. It can change a max of +/-10 per turn, and once it gets high enough one guy can make demands off of the other, and the bar resets and it starts all over. edit: the 'Bureaucratic obstacles' trade option lets you (hostilely) throw influence at them to get diplo pressure.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Slaan posted:

EL is a much, much better game. It still has the simultaneous turns, but I think there is an option for non simultaneous in a menu somewhere

Agreed. I was disappointed with ES2, but I haven't played it since June or so.

I miss the EL MP games. Would anyone be up for doing that again?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I found a weird bug and it's reproducible but I don't get it.

Every single time I edit my military deck I throw turtle away and put power to shields in its place. Sometimes I leave the rest blank sometimes I fill them out with things. I click save. The other things save, but power to shields literally always reverts back to turtle, and is now stuck there for 10 turns or whatever.

What a weird bug that only affects me. Emotionally I mean. It vexes me so.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Endless Legend's on sale now, including all the DLC for about 25USD. Excellent game and totally worth getting if you where on the fence before.

After binging/burning out on ES2, I decided to see if I was just being bitter, and went back to replay both Stellaris and EL. I've not played Stellaris since launch, where I did two playthroughs, and put the game down in disgust. I remember thinking a lot of things where broken like combat, and they've been aggresively patching it since, so sure, let's try it out again! But despite having 2 whole playthroughs under my belt, and having a great time customizing a slaver faction, when the starting screen came up I just stared blankly at the solar system for a while and had no idea wtf to do. Turned on full-baby tutorials, before I found everything again. Played for a few hours, then put it down uninterested.

My first impression? ES2 has a loving fabulous UI compared to trying to find crap in Stellaris. In Es2 there are systems, there are ships that look different, and when you click on them you get pretty screens with no clutter so you know what to click on to start building things. Telling your fleet to go somewhere is a right click, and the command buttons at the bottom left are clearly visible if you need them. In Stellaris; planets, fleets, starbases, and constructor ships are all identical when zoomed out. Commands are given to ships with a right-click context menu. After selecting the planet, you have to click a few sub-tabs to find the two different ground and space build queues. In Stellaris, early game is waiting around for minerals to come in until you're allowed to build something. Meanwhile, go explore. But you don't really explore, you just have a science ship auto-queue its way around scanning planets for tiny tiny resource nodes you're too poor to make use of. Upon finally finding the goddamn galaxy-level zoom button (why isn't it a smooth zoom out?!) I could see the entire galaxy and all starlanes. So much for the mysterious unknown.

Compared to ES2 (and a lot of other games!), where you start building colony buildings/ships on turn1 and never stop, and it takes a few small hops to find neighbors. The research options are much better also, a bunch of 5% bullshit vs "you can now build this new, totally unique, building".
So! Yea, Stellaris seems written with spergy players in mind who enjoy spreadsheets, with a terrible UI and starting-out 'game' experience. I got more fun out of the pre-game faction generator.

Next up was Endless Legend. Fond memories of the game, but I always felt it came down to snowballing and eating the AI who's hopelessly outmatched. Took the difficulty up a few notches, picked the Ardent Mages which I was warned was a dull faction, and jumped in. First thing I noticed is how goddamn pretty everything is. After the blackness of space this was welcome. GUI was great, knew where everything was, but I was probably strongly biased since I'd been playing ES2 the week before. Still light years ahead of stellaris, ugh. Founded city, queued a few things up, and got exploring. Was immediately floored by how populated everything is. The terrain is dense, and there's a goodie hut or minor faction every few tiles. Exploration around the city was busy, with many choices to be made as I can't hit everything. A flood of mini quests came in, which was also nice, with most of them giving rewards I recognized as solid, from experience on what to beeline. Ardent Mages have a pitifully weak gimmick that I crippled myself trying to maximize, and in the end I just ate the neighbors before my terrible roleplaying tech choices killed me.

EL still holds up as a great game with a lot of polish, with possibly weak elements in how strong & easy conquest is, and the AI's odd inability to scale into lategame and unwillingness to make multiple large armies. Difficulty settings might help this? If ES2's expansions bring it to this level, everyone will be gushing and a lot of money will be made.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I have to say I kind of prefer the stellaris approach to exploration. Because in space you can definitely see where other stars are, even we pitiful earth bound humans can figure out where they are, but I guess in ES2 no one bothered to invent the telescope. Maybe all the stars in ES2 have advanced cloaking technology.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Mate, in ES2 people haven't even figured out how to not be at war, what trade is, and even how to spend money without super advanced tech researches. Accusing them of being lazy for not mapping a galaxy of 30 stars is just the beginning!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To be fair, Dust isn't just money, it's nanomachines, ie: space magic. When you're buying things with dust you're not just paying people to finish it, you're literally conjuring it from the ether with space magic. I can believe that this takes some research to figure out.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I always pictured rush buying as you just smearing enough dust over the unfinished parts and saying "finish this please" and it turns into the missing wall of the building or whatever.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Serephina posted:

Upon finally finding the goddamn galaxy-level zoom button (why isn't it a smooth zoom out?!) I could see the entire galaxy and all starlanes. So much for the mysterious unknown.

Mouse wheel actually does zoom out and in of galaxy/system view, it just "sticks" a bit to prevent you doing it by accident. Spin that wheel a bit more!

I'll say this for Stellaris vs ES2, at least stuff happens in Stellaris (unless you are playing at game speed 1, don't do that unless you are in a war. Even then I prefer to just pause and then go fast).

I'm playing my first ES2 game and nothing seems to happen. Occasionally empires threaten me for money, I tell them to bring it and then they don't. I've abandoned military building to just expand as fast as possible and still it feels like nothings happening and the AI isn't doing anything.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Theswarms posted:

Mouse wheel actually does zoom out and in of galaxy/system view, it just "sticks" a bit to prevent you doing it by accident. Spin that wheel a bit more!

I'll say this for Stellaris vs ES2, at least stuff happens in Stellaris (unless you are playing at game speed 1, don't do that unless you are in a war. Even then I prefer to just pause and then go fast).

I'm playing my first ES2 game and nothing seems to happen. Occasionally empires threaten me for money, I tell them to bring it and then they don't. I've abandoned military building to just expand as fast as possible and still it feels like nothings happening and the AI isn't doing anything.

AI is definitely the weakest part of all the Endless games. They tend to be extremely bad, or at least timid.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Serephina posted:

Endless Legend's on sale now, including all the DLC for about 25USD. Excellent game and totally worth getting if you where on the fence before.

After binging/burning out on ES2, I decided to see if I was just being bitter, and went back to replay both Stellaris and EL. I've not played Stellaris since launch, where I did two playthroughs, and put the game down in disgust. I remember thinking a lot of things where broken like combat, and they've been aggresively patching it since, so sure, let's try it out again! But despite having 2 whole playthroughs under my belt, and having a great time customizing a slaver faction, when the starting screen came up I just stared blankly at the solar system for a while and had no idea wtf to do. Turned on full-baby tutorials, before I found everything again. Played for a few hours, then put it down uninterested.

My first impression? ES2 has a loving fabulous UI compared to trying to find crap in Stellaris. In Es2 there are systems, there are ships that look different, and when you click on them you get pretty screens with no clutter so you know what to click on to start building things. Telling your fleet to go somewhere is a right click, and the command buttons at the bottom left are clearly visible if you need them. In Stellaris; planets, fleets, starbases, and constructor ships are all identical when zoomed out. Commands are given to ships with a right-click context menu. After selecting the planet, you have to click a few sub-tabs to find the two different ground and space build queues. In Stellaris, early game is waiting around for minerals to come in until you're allowed to build something. Meanwhile, go explore. But you don't really explore, you just have a science ship auto-queue its way around scanning planets for tiny tiny resource nodes you're too poor to make use of. Upon finally finding the goddamn galaxy-level zoom button (why isn't it a smooth zoom out?!) I could see the entire galaxy and all starlanes. So much for the mysterious unknown.

Compared to ES2 (and a lot of other games!), where you start building colony buildings/ships on turn1 and never stop, and it takes a few small hops to find neighbors. The research options are much better also, a bunch of 5% bullshit vs "you can now build this new, totally unique, building".
So! Yea, Stellaris seems written with spergy players in mind who enjoy spreadsheets, with a terrible UI and starting-out 'game' experience. I got more fun out of the pre-game faction generator.

EL still holds up as a great game with a lot of polish, with possibly weak elements in how strong & easy conquest is, and the AI's odd inability to scale into lategame and unwillingness to make multiple large armies. Difficulty settings might help this? If ES2's expansions bring it to this level, everyone will be gushing and a lot of money will be made.
This is a great breakdown of it. I had a horrible time breaking into ES2 as most things are not explained well or at all, simultaneous turns are bullshit, and a few other minor things. However, once things clicked I must say it is a pretty good game. Not great, but better than your average space 4x these days. I have to agree that the AI is its weakest part.

Spanish Matlock posted:

I have to say I kind of prefer the stellaris approach to exploration. Because in space you can definitely see where other stars are, even we pitiful earth bound humans can figure out where they are, but I guess in ES2 no one bothered to invent the telescope. Maybe all the stars in ES2 have advanced cloaking technology.
Yeah this is something I have advocating for in space 4Xs for years. And it could be made more interesting by adding at-start modifiers like "home planet has many moons; astronomy was hard until recently" or "home planet and its neighbors are in a nebula; very limited astronomy until you get out of the nebula."

edit: I have the next 9 days off and intend to give EL a shot.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Maybe all that loving Dust obscures telescopes? :v:

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Rhjamiz posted:

Maybe all that loving Dust obscures telescopes? :v:

That and you wouldn't believe how many dead cravers the space windshields collect.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Tried playing endless legend again. The morwagawr quest breaks if you don't rush it. If you conquer any sea forts before they ask you to, they'll ask you to conquer an already conquered one, making the quest impossible. I tried parlaying, the dead pirates did not want to talk to me, it says. I tried garrisoning. It told me I Suffered Defeat! All of your units have been destroyed! (the pirate's fireship. the pirate's boarding ship. Neither of which existed, they died, and it's my defeat)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So I'm normally a huge fan of 4X games but did not like Endless Space; the setting felt kind of bland and I did not appreciate the UI or the rock/paper/scissors space combat cards, and a lot of the systems had poor or no explanation. I thought that Endless Legend was alright; better UI (but still not great) coupled to a lot of interesting RPG elements, and while the tactical map was often pointless it was definitely a step in the right direction over battle cards.

How is Endless Space 2?

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 25, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
ES2 brings back the battle cards, but they no longer do that R/P/S nonsense and they're just minor buffs and a way to pick which range you engage at. A step abstracted again. The systems are robust, but like all Endless games there's no bloody manual. ES2 is very very pretty and slick and borrows the EL quest system, but probably not a great buy pre-expansions if those where your complaints about the predecessors.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

QuarkJets posted:

So I'm normally a huge fan of 4X games but did not like Endless Space; the setting felt kind of bland and I did not appreciate the UI or the rock/paper/scissors space combat cards, and a lot of the systems had poor or no explanation. I thought that Endless Legend was alright; better UI (but still not great) coupled to a lot of interesting RPG elements, and while the tactical map was often pointless it was definitely a step in the right direction over battle cards.

How is Endless Space 2?
I was very critical of ES2 when I first started playing because even activating tutorials/help was hard, and then what they provided was incredibly lackluster. It was EU4 levels of complexity with far less explanation. Hit my questionmark if you want to preview what I thought, coming from EU4 into this. I was preeeeetty salty but I came around on it once I learned....I really wanted to like the game because it was so slick looking and I liked the exploration.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I'm hoping that it gets the EL treatment and Amplitude slowly hammer out all the dumb poo poo.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Rhjamiz posted:

I'm hoping that it gets the EL treatment and Amplitude slowly hammer out all the dumb poo poo.

ES2 seems ripe for some pretty sweet espionage potential, like if they made it so that you could influence other empire's legislatures, like boosting their pacifist party to make it harder for them to go to war on you. It would also serve to prevent the "always militarist" problem from building ships to fight pirates.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

QuarkJets posted:

How is Endless Space 2?

Well, if those were your problems with ES1, you'd better avoid ES2 like the plague.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I will be able to give EL and ES2 a really good playthrough these days. Got a nice new laptop for Christmas and my performance before was terrible. I could run it, but not well.
I mean EL was fun but with better performance it will be even more fun.
Also much more graphically pleasing than "minimum".

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Clarste posted:

Well, if those were your problems with ES1, you'd better avoid ES2 like the plague.

Understood. Dang

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am giving Endless Legend a go. Currently doing the tutorial and I like what I see so far, though the battle system is...interesting. Any recommendations for a faction to try once I get started? Also do I remember seeing something about specific earlier in the thread about things to do to help deal with early roaming armies and absorbing villages or something?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I am giving Endless Legend a go. Currently doing the tutorial and I like what I see so far, though the battle system is...interesting. Any recommendations for a faction to try once I get started? Also do I remember seeing something about specific earlier in the thread about things to do to help deal with early roaming armies and absorbing villages or something?

Faction depends on what your preferred style I suppose? I played Necrophages for ages and never learned the diplo screen or how minor factions work beyond crushing them. :v:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Wild Walkers are the simplest and most straightforward faction. If you don't wanna deal with gimmicks they're your guys.

Alternatively both Drakken and Vaulters have very powerful defensive safety nets you can fall back on.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Wild Walkers are both the best newbie faction and one of the best factions, period; their huge Industry output gives them huge snowball potential.

Drakken can force truce/peace/alliance, and being able to interact with and see all other factions from the first turn opens up the game in a big way.

The other factions all have interesting gimmicks/tools that alter the game in significant ways, much more so than in ES/ES2 imo. Certain factions just have weak starting units and some minor factions are just tougher to deal with.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I started with the Cultists, and that's fantastic because you only have to worry about managing one city, so it's an excellent way to get your hands into the city management part of the game (How to place districts to maximize benefits, etc.) and at the same time, your military forces are insane because you just convert villages and then turn out units automatically forever, which you can sell for dust or use to shore up your forces.

They start out a little weak in the early game, but they're definitely one of the strongest races in the game.

Edit: Actually looking back on the last few posts in this thread, I think it says a lot about what is good about Endless Legend that everyone will post their favorite race and say "They are the strongest race in the game".

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Cultists are generally regarded as quite fun, and once you understand their unique conversion mechanic, quite straightforward and gratifying to play. The most "OP" in the objective sense of multiplayer is universally agreed as the Vaulters. Someone who's played competitive could enlighten us, but I suspect it has something to do with teleporting armies. Amongst the other huge grab bag of solid bonuses.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Serephina posted:

Cultists are generally regarded as quite fun, and once you understand their unique conversion mechanic, quite straightforward and gratifying to play. The most "OP" in the objective sense of multiplayer is universally agreed as the Vaulters. Someone who's played competitive could enlighten us, but I suspect it has something to do with teleporting armies. Amongst the other huge grab bag of solid bonuses.

Of the multiplayer games that I've won, I won with the Cultists by getting a level 3 industrial megapole, I won with the Forgotten by flipping the cultist's city with a spy, and I've won with the Roving Clans by generating enough money to wholesale buy out God for ownership of the universe about 2 turns before a giant Drakken army schlepped its way across the continent to destroy me.

I don't know that I'd say the Vaulters ever really factored into any of the games I've played. I'm not saying that they're bad, but they just don't seem as specialized as the other races, or capable of stopping them from doing what they do. They couldn't stop a well-placed cult from getting the megapole, they couldn't generate enough influence to take on the Drakken, and I'd say the Broken Lords could probably steamroll them in a fight unless they were completely denied access to desert or tundra biomes.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Much like Cultists are the designated Play Tall faction, I think Vaulters are one of the best if you like to play wide because of their travel ability. I like to do that so I get a lot of mileage out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Serephina posted:

From the few guides I've read, and attempting it out in single player, Vaulters can get a really strong early game lead that can snowball out of control. They can jump to Second Age before turn 20 pretty easily (thanks to their starting science bonuses), which means that can get level 2 empire edicts (or whatever they're called, haven't played in a while), from there it really sets you up for the rest of the game.

EDIT: Also I didn't realise they released the Endless Legend artbook for free if you've got the game, love the artwork in this game :allears:

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 27, 2017