Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

elise the great posted:

I mean, they’re definitely things to sit on

Would a car count as a flared base?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Depends on how big your rear end in a top hat is. :goatse:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Oh honey, it's a Guatemalan sinkhole.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Guatemalan stinkhole

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Would a car count as a flared base?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
One thing I've noticed in a lot of NWS comics is that cars are always perfectly drawn, with all important bodylines and most details intact. I guess the artists can freehand a lot of stuff, but they all trace cars from photos for some reason.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Santa is coming.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

evobatman posted:

One thing I've noticed in a lot of NWS comics is that cars are always perfectly drawn, with all important bodylines and most details intact. I guess the artists can freehand a lot of stuff, but they all trace cars from photos for some reason.

I would think it's more that every kid draws cars as soon as they can hold a pen basically, so lots of practice is my guess. I for sure have no artistic talent tho, so just a guess.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

ladron posted:

I would think it's more that every kid draws cars as soon as they can hold a pen basically, so lots of practice is my guess. I for sure have no artistic talent tho, so just a guess.

yeah i knew this one kid in school who liked to draw punk/gross stuff, but when he wasn't doing that, he was obsessively drawing cars. he would show them off, but i couldn't draw and i wasn't too interested in cars being a 9 year old and all i didn't really care.

it would be interesting to see some kind of correlation between what kind of things kids draw early in life compared to what they draw later. there's no real scientific way to do it (lots of kids grow up and don't make art) but it would just be something curious.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I am an illustrator who grew up obsessed with custom cars and drawing them constantly. It's surprisingly difficult to draw a realistic car freehand, and I can't fault anyone for using tricks. I personally prefer somewhat stylized machinery but if you need a realistic car in your superhero comic or whatever, you're probably best off with a 3d model that you can pose as you like and then draw over.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I like to think they also have volumes upon volumes of dick to lovingly trace the perfect donger for each scene, categorized, arrayed and cross referenced, and the only reason we don't notice is that they have so much more dick to choose from.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Karate Bastard posted:

I like to think they also have volumes upon volumes of dick to lovingly trace the perfect donger for each scene, categorized, arrayed and cross referenced, and the only reason we don't notice is that they have so much more dick to choose from.

:q:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What is this comic? It makes me miss Katz’s pastrami

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

wayfinder posted:

I am an illustrator who grew up obsessed with custom cars and drawing them constantly. It's surprisingly difficult to draw a realistic car freehand, and I can't fault anyone for using tricks. I personally prefer somewhat stylized machinery but if you need a realistic car in your superhero comic or whatever, you're probably best off with a 3d model that you can pose as you like and then draw over.

huh, well there you go. thanks for the answer.

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

wayfinder posted:

Also an illustrator, and grew up drawing people and monsters, rarely ever cars. Mignola said that's why his style developed into heavy use of shadow so he didn't have to worry about the scenes all that much in Hellboy. But it's important to note that all artists use photographic reference, or sketchp in the case of comics. Yeah, stuff can be drawn on the fly but it's always more important to know that the anatomy/lawnmower/kakapo looks right as opposed to fishing for upvotes on a post where they claim "I didn't use reference" because, yeah, I can loving tell. It's a gentle balance to integrate photographic reference in with your normal style, otherwise it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy posted:

What is this comic? It makes me miss Katz’s pastrami

Garth Ennis' Hitman.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Twitch posted:

Garth Ennis' Hitman.

And amazingly, it's not a stand-alone book. The comic which featured a man with a dimensional portal for an anus is part of the mainstream DC universe, and it is canonical that the name of the titular character is scrawled on a lavatory wall in the JLA's lunar HQ.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

one man one christmas decoration

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Panty Saluter posted:

one man one christmas decoration

I'm pretty sure it would end with picking shards out just like the original.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Jisae posted:

Also an illustrator, and grew up drawing people and monsters, rarely ever cars. Mignola said that's why his style developed into heavy use of shadow so he didn't have to worry about the scenes all that much in Hellboy. But it's important to note that all artists use photographic reference, or sketchp in the case of comics. Yeah, stuff can be drawn on the fly but it's always more important to know that the anatomy/lawnmower/kakapo looks right as opposed to fishing for upvotes on a post where they claim "I didn't use reference" because, yeah, I can loving tell. It's a gentle balance to integrate photographic reference in with your normal style, otherwise it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I had to read that 3 times to make sure it was what I thought it was. Still a trip seeing something so Kiwi in the wild.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jisae posted:

Yeah, stuff can be drawn on the fly but it's always more important to know that the anatomy/lawnmower/kakapo looks right as opposed to fishing for upvotes on a post where they claim "I didn't use reference" because, yeah, I can loving tell.

The reality TV tattoo competition show "Ink Master" recently had a contestant who was bragging about how his tattoos were superior because he didn't use photo reference and were 100% his designs and pretty much immediately after saying that he did a butt ugly anatomically incorrect tattoo and got eliminated.

Like, loving hell dude. Maybe look up a photo and check how many joints there are in a human finger before permanently putting that design on someone's skin? Maybe glance slightly to the right at your own hand which is holding the tattoo machine right in front of your face and check?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing has a new favorite as of 10:00 on Dec 26, 2017

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

When you think about it, knees really are the tits of the legs. :thunk:

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

bueno

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ha ha ha, that makes more sense. I actually spent a minute staring at the image you originally posted trying to figure out if there was a hidden dick or something I was missing.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Upon further inspection of how well-defined this woman’s arms & legs are…

Would.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

I was really confused by the thumbnail when I saw this.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Croisquessein posted:

I was really confused by the thumbnail when I saw this.

this one works in two ways, because the person writing the caption ALSO seems like a dick

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

She looks so loving pleased with herself, it makes me happy just to know how happy she must be with that bathing suit.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

bongwizzard posted:

She looks so loving pleased with herself, it makes me happy just to know how happy she must be with that bathing suit.

I realized that the graphic design also looks startlingly like a top-down photograph of a dog's head, and now I can't unsee it. :smith:

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I realized that the graphic design also looks startlingly like a top-down photograph of a dog's head, and now I can't unsee it. :smith:

godammit. you're an rear end in a top hat

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

left_unattended posted:

I had to read that 3 times to make sure it was what I thought it was. Still a trip seeing something so Kiwi in the wild.

As an artist you do your research. :colbert:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The reality TV tattoo competition show "Ink Master" recently had a contestant who was bragging about how his tattoos were superior because he didn't use photo reference and were 100% his designs and pretty much immediately after saying that he did a butt ugly anatomically incorrect tattoo and got eliminated.

Like, loving hell dude. Maybe look up a photo and check how many joints there are in a human finger before permanently putting that design on someone's skin? Maybe glance slightly to the right at your own hand which is holding the tattoo machine right in front of your face and check?

Fun fact: I did a tattoo apprenticeship under this one hard-rear end guy and whenever he had to draw something himself he'd give it to me to draw all the hands. A forty-something guy who'd been tattooing for twenty years making a fifteen year old girl draw prayer hands for him. I thought it was some crash course lesson at the time but recently when talking to other local artists I've discovered that it's become a running gag that that particular guy just can't draw at all.

Jisae has a new favorite as of 05:02 on Dec 28, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/Bodegacats_/status/948702740108234753

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

• Locked thread