Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Evis posted:

Are Google any different?

Not really, other than they're more upfront than FB about this stuff. I do use them to search and I use gmail but not for anything other acquaintances and things like forum signups and other throwaway account stuff.

I mean, it's hard to escape these days. Users and their information are a valuable commodity. All I can do is try to limit the impact it has on me. I don't use services I think are the most egregious or try to limit the amount of legit information when I can. I know I'm being a bit like King Canute commanding the tide, but I don't think shrugging and getting on with your life is the right response either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
After uninstalling gboard and installing Swype I realize that the problem is iOS rather than the keyboards. For some reason this thing just doesn't like me using third party keyboards with certain apps, it's weird but oh well. Might've happened after the last os update but I can't remember.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I reinstalled LinkedIn for the first time in months and it logged me in without any credentials.

I do not want iOS storing credentials for a bunch of old apps. Never mind the security concern, that’s a bunch of orphan files cluttering things up.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Josh Lyman posted:

I reinstalled LinkedIn for the first time in months and it logged me in without any credentials.

I do not want iOS storing credentials for a bunch of old apps. Never mind the security concern, that’s a bunch of orphan files cluttering things up.

Do you also believe in bit rot?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

carry on then posted:

Do you also believe in bit rot?
No, but I’m OCD about my storage.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I demand access to all available bytes at a moment's notice.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

withak posted:

I demand access to all available bytes at a moment's notice.
Orphan files do not appear to be deleted when your iPhone is low on storage. I was running on 100MB of free space for the past few months and it went to 0 a number of times.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Do you have LinkedIn credentials stored in your Keychain? Apps can now access Safari’s saved logins, and if you gave it permission once to access the Keychain it’s probably remembered in iOS somewhere.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Do you have LinkedIn credentials stored in your Keychain? Apps can now access Safari’s saved logins, and if you gave it permission once to access the Keychain it’s probably remembered in iOS somewhere.
Welp, I went to LinkedIn.com in Safari and I was logged in. That makes me feel a lot better.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I do not want iOS storing credentials for a bunch of old apps.

Too bad. Circa iOS 4, Apple decided Keychain items should be retained for deleted apps so you can easily install them again later.

(This also makes offloading more easily possible in today's iOS.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jackpot posted:

After uninstalling gboard and installing Swype I realize that the problem is iOS rather than the keyboards. For some reason this thing just doesn't like me using third party keyboards with certain apps, it's weird but oh well. Might've happened after the last os update but I can't remember.

Do you have the stock keyboard(s) disabled? This goes a long way to improving the experience with alternate keyboards.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Endless Mike posted:

Do you have the stock keyboard(s) disabled? This goes a long way to improving the experience with alternate keyboards.

Still can't use them from the lock screen (or at least I can't get Gboard to show there)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Third party keyboards on iOS are a mess and a pipe dream.
You'll install one, use it for a while and be constantly annoyed when they crash, don't work in a certain app and don't have a feature like 3D Touch scrollwheel. Then you'll go back to stock.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

y'all remember when messenger was built into the FB app

Messenger still worked in old versions of the Facebook app until a few months ago. :woz:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Messenger being split is good in one way for me:
We had a friend who flat out refused to make an FB account, even to use Messenger (nearly everyone in Ireland uses Messenger or WhatsApp). He'd be my sole Hangouts contact (yuck) but when you started being able to use Messenger as a standalone, he started using it.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Apparently the center consul on my Hyundai Sonata was interfering with my GPS on my 8+.

I extended my car mount up about half a foot up and my gps works again.

Wierd.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

spunkshui posted:

Apparently the center consul on my Hyundai Sonata was interfering with my GPS on my 8+.

Well, that's because Hyundai cheaped out and sent you only a consul. My car came with an ambassador.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Please don't make fun of his wierd spelling.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Uh I specifically paid ten bucks to access a website for the privilege of making fun of the spelling of other people that paid ten bucks to visit that website.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Seriously, you must be new here. Pfft, freaking 2003s ruining our forums!

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Pivo posted:

Well, that's because Hyundai cheaped out and sent you only a consul. My car came with an ambassador.

:chanpop:

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
How does the 8 and the X handle cold weather? Will they suddenly die just like my 6S? I haven’t felt the need to upgrade yet, but will consider it if they don’t freeze to death as easily.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

spunkshui posted:

I extended my car mount up about half a foot up and my gps works again.

Wierd.

I've found that my phone gets more bars when I put it on top of my dashboard instead of the little place intended for it in my Kia Soul. It's really only a factor when I drive out to rural areas, though.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Xabi posted:

How does the 8 and the X handle cold weather? Will they suddenly die just like my 6S? I haven’t felt the need to upgrade yet, but will consider it if they don’t freeze to death as easily.

There was some sort of issue where the X's screen in particular would be pretty unresponsive to touch in the first minute or so of use in cold weather, but they've supposedly fixed that. Haven't heard anything about the 8 nor X just flat out dying in cold weather.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Xabi posted:

No battery exists that doesn't suck poo poo in cold. It's physics and the phone model can't change that.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

My 8 seems better than my 6s at handling the cold, but it might just be because the 8 happens to have a new battery.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

enojy posted:

There was some sort of issue where the X's screen in particular would be pretty unresponsive to touch in the first minute or so of use in cold weather, but they've supposedly fixed that. Haven't heard anything about the 8 nor X just flat out dying in cold weather.

I was thinking about why the X's OLED display had this issue when the Samsungs don't and I wonder if it's just because Android phones have processors that run warmer and keep the display warm enough to not have the freezing issues.

Probably not.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Xabi posted:

I’m on holiday in the frigid Midwest and the “tap to wake” feature on my X is a little unresponsive here.. take a few taps sometimes before the screen will wake. Otherwise it’s been fine.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Frigid? Come on man, it’s up to a balmy 5F today. Almost shorts weather.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

lelandjs posted:

I was thinking about why the X's OLED display had this issue when the Samsungs don't and I wonder if it's just because Android phones have processors that run warmer and keep the display warm enough to not have the freezing issues.

Probably not.

No, it was some weird firmware bug with the display's calibration. Locking and unlocking the screen fixed the issue temporarily. But yeah it's completely fixed now with firmware, it was freezing up for me when it dipped a smidge below 0 last month, but now it was -20 today with the windchill and my X worked just fine. The issue is fixed.

As for battery performance in the cold, yeah, if you leave your phone in a frozen car or something, all of them are going to perform poorly, it's just the battery chemistry. If you keep it in your pocket it'll be fine, I haven't noticed any cold-related battery issues.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dissss posted:

Still can't use them from the lock screen (or at least I can't get Gboard to show there)

You can't. Apple does not allow any 3rd party keyboards on the lock screen. There are occasional rumors of it, but it turns out the phone had been unlocked and they're just using the widget screen.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

When are they going to fix it so when you reply to a message from the lock screen messages from like hours ago still show up on there?

It’s kinda awkward when you are replying to something and a picture of some boobs show up from the night before.

It’s been like this since they introduced the feature.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Previews always off is what I do but I realize that might not be workable for others.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

vikingstrike posted:

Previews always off is what I do but I realize that might not be workable for others.

Does that let you still reply?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

MarcusSA posted:

Does that let you still reply?

I honestly don’t know since I don’t reply from the notification. I’m just in a habit of swiping to go into messages and replying from there. I could try on my next text

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

vikingstrike posted:

I honestly don’t know since I don’t reply from the notification. I’m just in a habit of swiping to go into messages and replying from there. I could try on my next text

Yeah I’m curious. I like being able to 3D Touch a message and do a quick reply but as I said the way it sometimes has older messages in there can be really awkward if someone sees it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Haven’t had issues with extreme heat or cold with my 7Plus. I remember my 5S giving me issues.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah and it does this too. It’s been this way since for as log as I know.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nice job getting laid buddy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Nice job getting laid buddy!

Not me! Possibly an ignorant friend who doesn’t quite know how plan B works.