Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ok so what’s the appeal of BB for $13 I feel like I should just buy it but I’ve never played a souls game and I don’t get the obsession besides “hard but satisfying.” Like are you just endlessly running around fighting bosses

I have a switch and portable dark souls sounds cool, if it happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ok so what’s the appeal of BB for $13 I feel like I should just buy it but I’ve never played a souls game and I don’t get the obsession besides “hard but satisfying.” Like are you just endlessly running around fighting bosses

For me it's about the exploration and less about the combat. It's a crazy twisty interconnected world where something weird is waiting behind every corner. No part of it is ever just some space for the sake of having a space there.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

The world owns and it's a lot of fun once you get it to click. There's more to it than just boss challenges. Attack the BB thread. It still gets a lot of posts and will give good advice if something is too esoteric.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

The map is crazy fun to figure out, and kind of amazing to sit back and contemplate once you've opened up a good portion if it. The story and setting work really, really well. The combat is fun once you get the hang of it, but it seems punishing for the first stretch. It's worth $13. Avoid spoilers.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ok for some reason I had it in my head that there was no depth and it was just endless boss challenge mode

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Inspector Hound posted:

The map is crazy fun to figure out, and kind of amazing to sit back and contemplate once you've opened up a good portion if it. The story and setting work really, really well. The combat is fun once you get the hang of it, but it seems punishing for the first stretch. It's worth $13. Avoid spoilers.

What I'm running up against is that there doesn't seem to be any block or parry mechanic, just "shoot the guy mid-swing then rip his guts out" which is predicated on having bullets.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ok for some reason I had it in my head that there was no depth and it was just endless boss challenge mode
There are chalice dungeons, some of which can be procedurally generated but the main game is about as tight as videogames get.

e:

FAUXTON posted:

What I'm running up against is that there doesn't seem to be any block or parry mechanic, just "shoot the guy mid-swing then rip his guts out" which is predicated on having bullets.
The gun is your parry. Unlike DS you aren't going to turtle behind a shield, but be up in things' faces all the time and only dodging away to replenish stamina.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Read item descriptions and contemplate the world as you go. It's like a detective game if you don't spoil it. It's fun reading theories about the story and world once you're done.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

Correct; bullets are an important resource that makes you think even more carefully if you want to risk a counter. The lack of block is counterbalanced by dodging being stupid fast compared to Dark Souls.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

FAUXTON posted:

That's the parry. Shooting something in the head a split second before is bites you is my favourite parry mechanic ever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

acksplode posted:

How much of Destiny 2's marketing budget did they use to put a fuckin Destiny 2 ad in my PS4 home screen that looks like I bought and installed it?

More like destiny U2 amirite :v:

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

acksplode posted:

How much of Destiny 2's marketing budget did they use to put a fuckin Destiny 2 ad in my PS4 home screen that looks like I bought and installed it?

I got so irritated by that I deleted the icon / demo / whatever out of spite without even looking into the game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, FFXV's fishing minigame is one of the best fishing minigames I've played...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Holy poo poo, how have you not played BB?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

You've got it, the game is now about figuring out the timing of enemy attacks.

E as stated, also dodge like crazy.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
BB would still be well worth the price at $30, <$15 is "you're an idiot if you don't buy this" levels of value.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I paid full price for all Bloodborne content and I'd do it again in a second if I had to.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
it's just one of the best designed and most beautiful action games ever made. Whatever you want to say about the difficulty or mechanics, it is a lovingly crafted masterwork and one of the very best reasons to own this console.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Opinions ON Sundered?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I got B.B. pretty much when it came out and I never made it past the first bridge, or to Father G. Seriously.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have a friend that spent 30 hours banging his head against father G and Cleric beast. I think he was just refusing to do anything but try to God of War his way through it the whole time. He told me he regrets quitting recently though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

I have a friend that spent 30 hours banging his head against father G and Cleric beast. I think he was just refusing to do anything but try to God of War his way through it the whole time. He told me he regrets quitting recently though.
That's when you summon some people and have a boss killing party...do a lot of people just refuse to do that no matter what because of pride or something?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I don’t know how to summon people and really got freaked out by the theme. Like actual IRL nightmares. And I’m in my forties.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's when you summon some people and have a boss killing party...do a lot of people just refuse to do that no matter what because of pride or something?

if you don't look it up, there's a decent chance someone that has that much trouble never figured out how to do coop

it is pretty obtuse, especially the insight part

e: case in point

Ultimate Mango posted:

I don’t know how to summon people and really got freaked out by the theme. Like actual IRL nightmares. And I’m in my forties.

once you have insight (you gain it by seeing/killing a boss or using the madman's knowledge item), a second messenger bath will open up in the hunter's dream. from there you can buy the bell you use to summon people with insight. you need insight to use it tho

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 27, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ultimate Mango posted:

Yeah same it's a great game. Took me a year to get into it.

Summon with a small resonant bell.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh I told him how to summon. He was just to proud to do it until he was borderline losing his mind and I killed Father G and Cleric beast for him. He still quit at Vicar Amelia though.

I just think there is this certain type of person that just cannot process the concept of timing things, waiting, learning etc. and it's always tempting to be like "just give it time and you'll get it" but some people just really can't. Most of the time it does pan out though. The majority of people that I've badgered into playing Souls games are as obsessed with them as I am now.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

1redflag posted:

Opinions ON Sundered?

I've only put an hour or so into it, but it seems fine. Controls well, I like the skill tree progression. Environs can get a bit samey because of the procedural generation, but it has some good hit and run combat to it. Bosses are great.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

where's that setting

Under auto-downloads

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

1redflag posted:

Opinions ON Sundered?

All the art is gorgeous, the animation is incredibly fluid, and it has some really nice atmospheric sound design. As a game it's pretty mediocre, though. Combat is pretty samey; even though you get a decent amount of upgrades the combat mostly comes down to spamming your melee moves, for the most part. Also there's like maybe 15 enemy types total in the game, it uses a lot of palette swaps. Also while it's gorgeous it has a huge problem with visibility. Finding where Eshe (your character) is in the middle of an enemy swarm can be like playing Where's Waldo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Under auto-downloads

thanks, that destiny thing was annoying

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

So what is the next upcoming big western RPG these days? Or, what is the big western RPG that is out right now these days?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

John F Bennett posted:

So what is the next upcoming big western RPG these days? Or, what is the big western RPG that is out right now these days?
If there's been something good on the PS4 since Witcher 3 I can't think of it right now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Divinity Original Sin 2 is supposed to get a console release... eventually.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Samurai Sanders posted:

If there's been something good on the PS4 since Witcher 3 I can't think of it right now.

Yeah the wait is between Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk. There are a lot of good isometric rpgs on PC but not much happening in big western releases I guess.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Pillars of Eternity came out for the PS4 didn't it? Dunno how good it actually is I just know Obsidian made it. I'd be neat if Divinity OS2 came to PS4 like the first one did.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Horizon Zero Dawn wants to call itself an RPG but it's really more like an open-world Tomb Raider with quests. But it's probably closer to TW3 in both structure and gameplay than a CRPG like Divinity. Basically the term RPG is meaningless and always has been.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Thanks for the tips.

How do Divinity OS and Pillars of Eternity compare? I didn't know about them but they seem to be of the same style. PIE is the complete edition, prices are comparable.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Divinity is purely turned based, PoE is 'real-time with pauses' and designed to look and work like old Infinity Engine game so Divinity wins out on that alone. It's kinda rough though and the sequel is much improved.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Really you should just play D:OS2 if you have a computer that can run it because it really is fantastic and there's no reason to play the original original sin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

Really you should just play D:OS2 if you have a computer that can run it because it really is fantastic and there's no reason to play the original original sin.
Oh yeah? I was kind of thinking about Divinity 2 but never finished 1.