Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

hostess with the Moltres posted:

How’s this chain party:

Fencer Harbinger
(Dog)Rover Warlock Shaman

My shaman and harbinger are a bit limited in the early game since the shaman is so point hungry and the harbinger doesn’t have a ton of damage options at this point, but it’s working better than I expected.

It'll work well enough till the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Having picked up my game again as I'm travelling, my new arch-enemy is Hypno Bats. Is there a method to deal with them beyond 'make anti-sleep accessories for everyone', because fighting them before I have enough for everybody is miserable.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Prism posted:

Having picked up my game again as I'm travelling, my new arch-enemy is Hypno Bats. Is there a method to deal with them beyond 'make anti-sleep accessories for everyone', because fighting them before I have enough for everybody is miserable.

Priority moves and union skills.

Rapid cannon maxed, wing thrash (hawk rover, I think), basically anything instant.

You can also attempt to ail them via harbinger.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Right now my planned party is Cannon Dragoon, Four Swords Masurao, Binder Pugilist, Hound Rover, Omnimancer Warlock. It doesn't feel like I have a whole lot of synergy, but am I going to run into problems?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

vOv posted:

Right now my planned party is Cannon Dragoon, Four Swords Masurao, Binder Pugilist, Hound Rover, Omnimancer Warlock. It doesn't feel like I have a whole lot of synergy, but am I going to run into problems?

The party member I'd be most worried about is the Masurao, since they need the most team support; the four sword build really, really can't afford to take hits at all. If you can keep them alive and useful, the rest of the party should work fine.

HeartNotes3
Jun 25, 2013
My Necromancer's Fierce Shield keeps resulting in her dying once the wraith blocks the hit. Is this the intended behavior?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

HeartNotes3 posted:

My Necromancer's Fierce Shield keeps resulting in her dying once the wraith blocks the hit. Is this the intended behavior?

Is it a multitarget/multihit attack?

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

HeartNotes3 posted:

It only eats one hit if it's a multi target attack, so it's not that good against those. For multi target hits, I'm not sure since I've never had a wraith take more than one hit from those. Main thing is that Fierce Shield only starts lessening the damage the wraith takes a few levels in. Before that point, they take slightly more damage.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

vOv posted:

That was my exact team setup, the only real problems I remember are FOEs sometimes not getting bound by chain blast and random encounters that were resistant to Hound's line panic. I gave the Masurao some armor instead of a 4th sword for random encounters since not even the guard skills stopped them getting killed in one hit with no armor.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Having beaten EO5 at this point, I decided to go back and play the Untolds again, and I'm wondering if there's a skill guide for Untold 1 at all. I noticed that Dr. Fetus had done a Grimoires guide, but I haven't found anything for classes.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Blastinus posted:

Having beaten EO5 at this point, I decided to go back and play the Untolds again, and I'm wondering if there's a skill guide for Untold 1 at all. I noticed that Dr. Fetus had done a Grimoires guide, but I haven't found anything for classes.

There is an LP on this site. Ragnar has given his opinions along side Hivac. They have a class section.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

There is an LP on this site. Ragnar has given his opinions along side Hivac. They have a class section.

As much as this feels like self-advertising, the thread is here.

Also, "her." :v:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
On mobile, can’t search: what does Advanced difficulty do in V, other than no wipeout autosave? Do numbers change?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

On mobile, can’t search: what does Advanced difficulty do in V, other than no wipeout autosave? Do numbers change?

Advanced is the base difficulty.

Basic increases all exp gain, increases damage dealt, decreases damage taken, increases your infliction rates, decreases enemy infliction rates, all by 20%.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I said a lot of words about eou skills but I'm wrong about 90% of the time so take my words with a grain of salt

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dr. Fetus posted:

Advanced is the base difficulty.

Basic increases all exp gain, increases damage dealt, decreases damage taken, increases your infliction rates, decreases enemy infliction rates, all by 20%.
Perfect. I can pretend to be a real player by picking “Advanced” :shobon:

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Ragnar Homsar posted:

As much as this feels like self-advertising, the thread is here.

Also, "her." :v:

Okay.

Hivac posted:

I said a lot of words about eou skills but I'm wrong about 90% of the time so take my words with a grain of salt

I do agree with some of the things said, but I also have a different opinion on some other skills.

Either way, the extra opinions help, and the skill data is there so you can just decide for yourself what you want depending on your party.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Pretty much, yeah. EO4's not as linear but it's still pretty linear, and the lessened linearity results in less overall content.
I picked up Etrian Mystery Dungeon instead, this seems pretty cool so far

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Jackard posted:

Oh noooooo that's not what I meant :(

I mean, more power to you if you enjoy EMD, but...

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
If you like Etrian Mystery Dungeon, I would actually recommend checking out Shiren the Wanderer. If you don't like EMD, but still like a bit of the underlying gameplay, I'd recommend checking it out anyway, as Etrian Mystery Dungeon is loosely based off of that.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Jackard posted:

EO4 is better.

...you should get it next time it's on sale.

But EMD is fun, provided you can master the system and the AI.

The AI is trash, and an intelligent player either goes solo or switches leaders appropriately.

Edit: Actually comparing EO4 to EMD is apples and oranges.

EO4 is Etrian Odyssey, EMD is mystery dungeon. Different gameplay.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jackard posted:

May god have mercy on his soul

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

at least it's not pq

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Hivac posted:

at least it's not pq

PQ isn't bad.

It's just not Etrian Odyssey when it comes to characters.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Oh noooooo that's not what I meant :(

Look what you've done. :colbert:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Blademaster_Aio posted:

PQ isn't bad.

It's just not Etrian Odyssey when it comes to characters.

there are many other jrpgs that aren't even called etrian odyssey that i would play before pq

but this also applies to persona so what do i know

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Hivac posted:

there are many other jrpgs that aren't even called etrian odyssey that i would play before pq

but this also applies to persona so what do i know

Everyone has their own tastes.

PQ is mostly a game for fans of P4 and P3. Or at least, that's what I think. And you draw maps which is good. Very good.

There are lots of games I like better than persona, but the recent persona games all have the whole time limit / social link / stat raising thing that is nice if you're into that.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I bought eou2 - any recommendations for character builds? I'm on floor 5 and these characters feel a bit disjointed compared to their uo1 counterparts

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

tithin posted:

I bought eou2 - any recommendations for character builds? I'm on floor 5 and these characters feel a bit disjointed compared to their uo1 counterparts

Party?

Again, Ragnar has an LP of that game on this site too, complete with class writeups if you want a second opinion.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Party?

Again, Ragnar has an LP of that game on this site too, complete with class writeups if you want a second opinion.

Default story party.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

tithin posted:

Default story party.

Okay. So basically you can build your characters in different ways.

Tank: Trand is easy to build. The main skills you want are: front guard and the elemental walls. The order should be fire wall level 4 first (and preferably 5+ when fighting the 2nd stratum boss), front guard 4, ice wall 4 and bolt wall 4. Then just upgrade them when your TP pool can handle it. I prefer leaving them at 9 for the reduced TP cost (when it comes to the elemental walls). Front guard can be taken to level 20 with grimoire help.

I just checked my file and I had volt wall 4 by floor 5 - I think it was for the birds or something. Haggis? The ones you find in Ginnungagap, after you beat stratum 1 boss.

There is no other skill Trand truly needs to function and do his job - but plenty of skills will help him be an even better tank.

Shield mastery, parry and aegis are all good stuff that helps people stay alive.

Parry and shield mastery are passives, I recommend getting them soon, they don't cost any tp and you can put them on other characters to make them more survivable.

There is senital guard which exists. Some people say it's a great skill - honestly I've never used it personally because front guard and the walls did their thing. It reduces almighty damage which is useful I suppose. Get whatever else you like. The shield smite skills are useful if Trand has nothing else to do. He can just smack stuff with his shield.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

As for the rest of them:

Sovereign: I had Arianna max out order mastery first, because the heal is nice but mostly because it gives you access to morale boost. That increases force amount buffed allies gain and it lets Fafnir transform more, which is a very good thing.

Prevent order is something that I left at 1 point.. I didn't see any use to putting more points into it.

As for negotiation, white noble, clearance and ad nihilo - just the bare minimum. They're situational and not something you should gun for. But your opinion may vary. Just get clearance by the 5th stratum. It helps.

Attack order and protect order are both really nice skills. Dauntless order has late game uses.

Link order 1 and 2 let her contribute to damage. They're useful. I didn't put more than one point in link order 2.

The circles are useful late game, when Fafnir has unlocked his potential and is ready to inflict scores of elemental damage on your enemies.

I've never used cheer.

Remember that grimoires exist. Monarch march is a useful skill - but it's not a skill I'd spend SP on. Maybe on a grimoire for exploration. Then switch it out for FOE / boss fights.

As for Chloe - the War Magus.

Basically you need ways to inflict ailments. Arianna can take care of most of your healing duties. But how you build her depends on how you build Flavio. Flavio is the only guy in your party with natural access to ailments - blind, paralysis and sleep.

Random disease sucks. Do not get it.

I strongly, strongly advise you to learn how the restaurant works and how advertising works and advertise to the hexers and get your hands on some ailments. Like fear. And poison. Not for Chloe herself, but maybe for Flavio or Chloe - whoever.

Because fear is used in the conditional drop to get amritas and random disease is trash.

Anyway, ailing slash deals a huge amount of damage - more than your fafnir can early game.

You should check out Ragnar LP's anyway -in there Dr. Fetus did his own story mode LP where he has his story mode builds.

Also get barrier. Useful for post game. Preferably you need it at level 20 and with points in ware lore mastery (16). Post game.

Warmight is a very nice buff.

And I just gunned for ailing slash and the war edge skills.

How you build Flavio depends on what you want from Chloe. Early on you can use his ailment arrows to make her contribute more damage. Blind and paralysis have food buffs which make them really powerful ailments.

Drop shot is useful for sniping annoyances in the back row.

Risk perception is a good skill.

And natural instinct is the only gathering skill you need but grimoires exist.

If you give Flavio efficiency he can be a much better healer than anyone but it is a buff and requires items. And Flavio has other uses. Like inflicting ailments. And late game, hazy arrow. And sagittarius shot is a thing too, I guess.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Finally Fafnir.

Now Fafnir is the guy who is gated by the plot.

People say he's broken and stuff - he is. Broken like a broken toy that you have to get repaired or it's useless junk.

By which I mean, Fafnir sucks early game. He sucks. Really bad. People who say he's broken haven't played story mode - he's very good post stratum 3. But that means till then he's not the best unit.

He is also very SP hungry.

So fafnir has his transform thing - and that really boosts him. He also has an entire tree to make use of his force boost and stay transformed for as long as he can. This is good. You should invest in this.

What you can do is max out blade mastery. Resonance is a good skill, just leave it at level 1 for a while.

Delayed chase and the sabre / waves skill are your main damage. Level them up as appropriate.

From the force mastery tree which you should invest in early as well, the skills you want are force charge, force reset, limit break and force energy.

Force energy will help you maintain Fafnir's awful TP pool.

Force reset can be used on the last turn of force boost to gain back some force, so you can transform again quickly. And limit break lets you store extra force. For more transform!

Force charge will help you get back to transformed state quickly.

That's all there is to Fafnir - his force break doesn't help him a whole lot because his force boost is everything to him; but anyway, he just needs to spend his time transformed so he can deal death to the enemy.

He is SP hungry - but once he has all his tools he becomes very, very powerful.

Takes some time.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Thank you my friend

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Tip if you -really- want everyone (besides trand) to be able to contribute damage, you can dig into Grimoires a bit. Chloe can use Fafnir's elemental Sabers due to how war magi's War Edge Mastery works, though it's not the greatest damage it can fill dead time since they're not especially TP costly. For Arianna on the other hand, Link Order II is affected by Compression from Alchemists if you can pick one of those up in the cafe. She can hit really goddamn hard off of Fafnir with that if you go for it, but it's more of a really late thing honestly.

By endgame with my story party I had literally everyone dishing out damage on their down-turns with Chloe's Vampirism and Arianna's passive heals as my major sources of healing, while Bertrand spent the whole time just keeping everyone alive for the heals to go off. It's kinda a slow-rolling party that builds up over time but by the end it's got a ton of different synergies to play with.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
EO5: are the generic ten-point "weapon mastery" skills still a trap? The fact that they've kept them while trimming so much other fat makes me think maybe not, for once, but they'd have to be really good to get me to waste skill points on them so I'm not optimistic but I'm asking anyway.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Still a trap.
At 10 they offer a 15% damage increase and in EOV buffs, debuffs and passives that increases damage stack additively.

So if you have nothing else they increase your damage from 100% to 115%.
If you have some buffs/debuffs or other passives running they increase your damage from for example 170% to 185%.

Even without any other damage increase they are not worth it and they only get weaker from there.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
You'd think they'd get rid of them eventually, then.

Then again, I also expected skill level descriptions to be better than "ATK ↑" by the fifth entry in the series so really it's me that's the fool.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
Still worth it to take a single point in most of them because they generally start at around 5%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
That can wait until I finish leveling up "strap four katanas to your body and hit things with them" :black101: