Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

cinci zoo sniper posted:

papers please and this war of mine are very aesthetically pleasing to me. not sure i find them psychologically brutal though

I don't know that I'd say they are psychologically brutal, but they are very real in a way that makes it hard to view characters as simple NPC's. Particularly this war of mine. The story just hits too close to home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I can kinda see This War of Mine being considered "psychologically brutal" if it is the very first time you are ever confronted with the concept of war having an impact on the civilian population instead of just seeing wars as a thing that happens in history class.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's not a concentration camp sim randler. It's brutal because the game offers no escape from your situation as someone hosed by the war, similar to papers please offering you no way to change the SQ. Usually games are a way to avoid that.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yeah these games are difficult to play because the concepts presented are so repellant and borderline unfun to engage with. like it's just misery. imagine a game where you were cleaning up a napoleonic era battlefield and were just rummaging around in dead soldiers things to identify and then bury them

iirc the child expansion for this war of mine had variable pricing, and all of the money made from sales of the dlc went to child refugees of the syrian conflict

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 26, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/EdKrassen/status/945737632805543936

Maybe seniors should've thought of that before they turned out in droves for Trump. Personal responsibility. They can pull themselves up by the bootstraps if they aren't happy with their lot in life.

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
i watched paprika for the first time in un-subtitled italian last night and it was great (i don't speak italian)

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

australiar posted:

he is spoilt every day

a dog so kiss'd did never exist

:3:

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Furnaceface posted:

We got 25cm of snow last night. Theyre now calling for an additional 10-15 tonight.

Not a big fan of these kinds of storms so early in the season.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Volkerball posted:

I got this game called "this war of mine" on sale a couple weeks ago and I've mostly been playing that.

vb mumbles to himself "if they had guns, this wouldn't happen"

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Watching a bunch of teenagers beat each other up, as is Canadian boxing day tradition.

Still laughing my rear end off at the Russians losing to the Czechs.

Latvia missed by one point to get back in next year, sorry kals.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/945768767224676354

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/george_dungan/status/944250460050984961

Wait, is it only us that do this?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

boner confessor posted:

maybe emotionally brutal, since it's not a game where you're mowing down nazis but you're really just an average person, it makes choices like "will you rob this old man so a child can eat for the first time in days" difficult. or in papers please you can have the problem "my wife needs medicine, but i can't afford it... if i send this dude who did nothing wrong to state police, i get a kickback"
is this how people imagine most people play games? legit curious

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Volkerball posted:

I don't know that I'd say they are psychologically brutal, but they are very real in a way that makes it hard to view characters as simple NPC's. Particularly this war of mine. The story just hits too close to home.

oh right, you were from rural miswest which is basically eastern europe. the story is fairly relatable yeah, but i can't say it made the npcs palpable to any extent. better than jarl of markarth or whatever, but still it's a video game

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

Watching a bunch of teenagers beat each other up, as is Canadian boxing day tradition.

Still laughing my rear end off at the Russians losing to the Czechs.

Latvia missed by one point to get back in next year, sorry kals.
??

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

cinci zoo sniper posted:

oh right, you were from rural miswest which is basically eastern europe. the story is fairly relatable yeah, but i can't say it made the npcs palpable to any extent. better than jarl of markarth or whatever, but still it's a video game

Sure, but I can kill the jarl of markarth, steal all his poo poo, and laugh about it. Murdering an innocent old couple so I can raid their fridge, and then slowly watching the character that did the killing become depressed and broken over having done it, makes it feel a lot less light-hearted.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Particularly this war of mine. The story just hits too close to home.

Huh, which war were you a civilian survivor, sounds interesting

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ArfJason posted:

civil war, also don't ninja edit refugee jokes

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
It wasnt a joke

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Volkerball posted:

Sure, but I can kill the jarl of markarth, steal all his poo poo, and laugh about it. Murdering an innocent old couple so I can raid their fridge, and then slowly watching the character that did the killing become depressed and broken over having done it, makes it feel a lot less light-hearted.

i think i just can't get the level of emotional involvement here. *pivots berkeshly* the old couple would've lived if they had guns

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
As in, i didnt think the word refugee was the proper one to describe someone in their own country during a war. It might be, not a native speaker.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ArfJason posted:

I wasn't personally, but I know and have spoken with enough people who were that it's not an abstract concept like it is when you're dealing with people fighting giant cockroaches and mutants. And your definition of refugee is right. Someone under siege and forced to flee would be an internally displaced persons or IDP.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

World Junior hockey tournament. Latvia lost their last game which means they lost the division to Kazakhstan and wont be in next years tournament.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

World Junior hockey tournament. Latvia lost their last game which means they lost the division to Kazakhstan and wont be in next years tournament.

lol at watching juniors

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ArfJason posted:

So what you’re saying to VB is, “You don’t have to live like a refugee”?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Paracaidas posted:

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/945666538316722176

Chronological issues aside, I think we need to start taking seriously the theory that Glenn is a golem born of the hottest takes of the bad dem brigade.

he's right

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

lol at watching juniors

Latvia will always be hockey country number 3 behind Canada and Finland if you keep up this attitude mister.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
people are really mad about this lame video

https://twitter.com/VanityFair/status/944613785171501056

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ArfJason posted:

As in, i didnt think the word refugee was the proper one to describe someone in their own country during a war. It might be, not a native speaker.

more formally it's "internally displaced person" but refugee works

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

i saw some picture of a trucking service like this who had a sign-

SEPTIC TANKS PUMPED
POOLS FILLED
NOT SAME TRUCK

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

I don’t see why, none of the suggestions were a murder-suicide pact with bill

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
one more loving draaugr cave

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
seriously every quest is exactly the same

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I believe you mean every quest allows you to explore more of the vast and engaging world....

by doing the exact same poo poo every drat time.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

rear end struggle posted:

It's amazing that the loving elder scrolls MMORPG has more quest and environment variety than skyrim

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

one more loving draaugr cave

Time for you to go read the bad mods thread.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
srsly in oblivion you had crazy quests and bigger cities. wtf bethesada

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
oblivion had some great quests. almost all of assassins and thieves guild, the one dlc paladin one where you're basically on a grail quest. some good poo poo

i never bothered finishing skyrim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

srsly in oblivion you had crazy quests and bigger cities. wtf bethesada

it was a trash game though

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 27, 2017

• Locked thread