Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

World Famous W posted:

Merry Christmas, ya miserable old thread!

The end if the year is almost upon us and our thoughts all turn to one thing, The Annual Gay Abortions! We will probably be just running the categories from the Gaybies Repository unless there is some others y'all want. Will have a more detailed post in a day or two

I think there should be a thread for "worst Twitter cartoon." Then again, the main problem with "he uses Twitter" cartoons is that they're all exactly the same, so maybe it would be too hard to pick a worst.

Roland Jones posted:

Technically, yes. I considered adding the acknowledgement that Pence probably wouldn't do things like, say, move the Israel embassy to Jerusalem on a whim, blowing up decades of peace talks and assuredly sparking a ton of unrest and violence.

No, I think Pence would have done that because it's a dream of the religious right. Basically, on things that specifically deal with religious issues, Pence is a true believer, but Trump is an authoritarian who doesn't respect the rule of law. Trump is worse overall, but Pence is still bad. If we could actually get rid of Trump, though, it would certainly intimidate any other Republican, including Pence, from trying to push too hard.

Alhazred posted:

gently caress spineless opinion like these. Pence would gently caress over everyone that isn't white, male, straight and rich.

Exactly when has Trump not done that? In 2016, there were all sorts of hot takes about how Trump was more moderate than other Republicans and maybe he wouldn't be so bad. He has 100% toed the GOP line, so I don't know how this idea that he's better than Pence is still alive.

Cpt.Americant posted:

So if you're not actually going to read what I wrote why quote it? I didn't say Pence isn't a monster, I literally call him lovely. I say nothing about "civil" discourse. But sure, I don't prefer Pence for any of the long list of reasons I listed out, it's just because he's soft spoken. That must be it. It has nothing to do with Trump's authoritarian instincts, or his cult of personality, or how he validates the previously fringe voices, it's just that he's a big old meany.

This is right. The reason why Trump is different isn't about his "tone" or "incivility," it's that he has no respect for the rules of politics and obsessed fans who will never desert him. We can fight Pence just like we can fight any other Republican, but if we allow Trump to get away with political crimes then he will keep getting worse. Moreover, there have to be consequences for lawbreaking. Telling Trump "you can do whatever you want and we won't impeach you as long as you have a bad vice-president" is just giving him license to keep getting worse. There was an old joke that Dan Quayle was George Bush's "assassination insurance." Now it seems like Pence is Trump's "impeachment insurance." We can't get rid of Trump because then his replacement might be A REPUBLICAN. Well, no poo poo. Of course any modern Republican would be bad, and Pence would probably be worse in some areas, but that doesn't mean you let Trump run roughshod over the Constitution and the rule of law.

Alhazred posted:

When Mike Pence was asked if he wanted women to decide over their own body, if gays should have the civil rights that straight people enjoy or if people should have place they could check themselves for HIV he said "no". I couldn't give a gently caress about what he said about his experience at Hamilton.

They also refused to criticize Trump when those things happened. gently caress'em.

See, I more or less agree with this, but I'm not sure why it matters. "Which is worse" is academic at this point, because we have no power to get rid of Trump. What I want to know, though, is if we get in the position where impeaching Trump is possible, are you saying you wouldn't support it because Pence would be worse? If so, then how is it possible to stop Trump when he oversteps the boundaries of law? Are we just supposed to hope he doesn't do too much damage until we beat him in 2020? And if we do that, how do we know he'd respect the results of an election when we've already shown we won't impeach him?

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Xander77 posted:

B-but what about my accelerationism?

Eisenhower -> Nixon -> Ford -> Reagan -> G. H. W. Bush -> G. W. Bush -> Trump has gotta be some large hadron-collider type acceleration poo poo we oughta be studying. Like at this point I ain't even mad so much as impressed. Gorbechev -> Yeltsin -> Putin -> Medvedev -> lol joke Putin Forever was a record run but both are still ramping up. China looks on, says "hold my beer."

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Oh, gently caress YOU, Priggee

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

It's a good thing that Mulan is just something Disney invented out of whole cloth and isn't in fact based on actual Chinese folklore or he'd look REEEEAL stupid.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Crabtree posted:

Like how stupid do you have to be to be happy about bulldozing over an active dam? How do you gently caress up a metaphor that is supposed to be a good thing by making the democrats not only be something put there to keep people safe from the high water, but something they are actively sacrificing themselves to continue while your dude happily bull-rides a nuke he dropped over his own house in essence?

I'm glad republicans are just so open about getting erections over killing people.

This is the same person who drew a coven of witches with guns and labeled it a "witch hunt" and drew a briefcase with the label "the case against hillary". He understands metaphor as well as trump does.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

lmbo

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Crabtree posted:

Like how stupid do you have to be to be happy about bulldozing over an active dam? How do you gently caress up a metaphor that is supposed to be a good thing by making the democrats not only be something put there to keep people safe from the high water, but something they are actively sacrificing themselves to continue while your dude happily bull-rides a nuke he dropped over his own house in essence?

I'm glad republicans are just so open about getting erections over killing people.

I'm willing to bet Branco thinks dams are just another form of government regulation we don't need.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Cpt.Americant posted:

As opposed to Trump, the champion of non-white, non-straight, poor women.

Pence called the Muslim ban "UnAmerican."

Pence does not excite white nationalists.

Pence does not threaten invasion of our allies.

Pence does not listen to infowars and consider them credible.

Pence does not show any authoritarian tendencies.

Pence does not have a cult of personality that allows him to get away with things other politicians can't.

Pence said the booing he received at Hamilton was "what democracy sounds like."

Pence calls Russia a hostile state.

Pence does not have narcissistic personality disorder.

Pence does not call to undermine our democratic norms.

Pence would not have his name shouted at minorities as a threat.

Pence would not say there were very fine people on both sides.

Pence would concede defeat when he loses an election.

Pence would be a lovely Republican in the way Republicans have been lovely for a long time. Trump is so much worse than that for so many reasons, and I hate with a passion this "yeah but Pence would be just as bad" because it's just wrong.

Hi, trans person here to tell you that your post is bad, and dumb. Thanks!

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

points for committing to an insane metaphor and not giving up on it I guess?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Unless the same cartoon was posted twice, that's at least the second time Ramirez has blathered about the Iran nuke deal and "Hezbollah cocaine". Does anyone have any idea what he's talking about there?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

AGC

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Unless the same cartoon was posted twice, that's at least the second time Ramirez has blathered about the Iran nuke deal and "Hezbollah cocaine". Does anyone have any idea what he's talking about there?

It's alleged that the Obama administration refused to prosecute Hezbollah for cocaine smuggling as part of the negotiations for the nuclear deal.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

duz posted:

This is the same person who drew a coven of witches with guns and labeled it a "witch hunt" and drew a briefcase with the label "the case against hillary". He understands metaphor as well as trump does.

At least that is partially a joke even if its on accident. The recent poo poo he did, how the gently caress does he think The Little Dutch Boy is a villain and the correct thing to do was to just smash the dam? How old and/or brain damaged is this dipshit?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was reading the other day about how the majority of everyone ihcljding Republican voters are happy to pay their taxes and are instead worried about others not paying their fair share. That attitude sure isn't reflected by the people they elect or the media they watch or anything like that but no one seems to care.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

In which the GOP forgets that they keep insisting people must have "skin in the game" to have an opinion about taxes.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Cpt.Americant posted:

As opposed to Trump, the champion of non-white, non-straight, poor women.

Pence called the Muslim ban "UnAmerican."

Pence does not excite white nationalists.

Pence does not threaten invasion of our allies.

Pence does not listen to infowars and consider them credible.

Pence does not show any authoritarian tendencies.

Pence does not have a cult of personality that allows him to get away with things other politicians can't.

Pence said the booing he received at Hamilton was "what democracy sounds like."

Pence calls Russia a hostile state.

Pence does not have narcissistic personality disorder.

Pence does not call to undermine our democratic norms.

Pence would not have his name shouted at minorities as a threat.

Pence would not say there were very fine people on both sides.

Pence would concede defeat when he loses an election.

Pence would be a lovely Republican in the way Republicans have been lovely for a long time. Trump is so much worse than that for so many reasons, and I hate with a passion this "yeah but Pence would be just as bad" because it's just wrong.

Hi, you don't seem like a bad poster/person, but this reeks of someone who wouldn't have the gay electrocuted out of them under a "business as usual" Pence presidency. Neither Pence nor Trump will be safe for people like me, and I'd rather not have well intentioned people forget that.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

See I WANTED to do Skull Donkey, bones for the bone god, but Ramirez failed at the SINGLE JOB ever political cartoonists must do so it kinda went wrong:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Mike Pence is guilty of the exact same treason Donald Trump is.

He's in the literal same trouble.

In fact, he might be in MORE trouble since he potentially knew about people like Michael Flynn before Trump did.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
When Apple Pie Hubbub makes a short post you know you're in for a concentrated burst of gently caress YOU

A straight-up rape joke. Right in the funny papers. Next to Family Circus. Great.

Oh man do I have some trivia to dump on you that I am gonna make sure I spell out in ludicrous detail on every panel. loving hell, this is a trash fire of a comic within the context of it being Prickly City.

E: I can't wait until next year when the yellow coyote is sad again that a real person died over a year ago. And every anniversary after that.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think the worst thing about Pence will be conservatives and even some more moderate liberals acting like it's back to normal. The right would absolutely frame it as trying to meet the left half-way, and therefore any further protests will be framed as liberals never being happy and wanting everything. Pence also knows how the system works, and he is less likely to do stupid poo poo like make bombastic comments or suddenly announce new military policy on twitter. It'll be a lot more subtle and sneaky like in the past, and thus harder to rally around.

So Pence vs. Trump is a really stupid argument because it basically comes down to picking how you die. I guess with Pence you at least get to see Trump have a meltdown over whatever got him ousted. Totally worth the country going even further back into some dominionist hellhole, right?

.Edward Penischin
Jun 5, 2008

Run, Michael Richards, Run.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

.Edward Penischin posted:

Run, Michael Richards, Run.

Support for him surged when Trump taught America that you no longer have to be in the closet about racism.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

T-man posted:

Hi, you don't seem like a bad poster/person, but this reeks of someone who wouldn't have the gay electrocuted out of them under a "business as usual" Pence presidency. Neither Pence nor Trump will be safe for people like me, and I'd rather not have well intentioned people forget that.

Where is this line everyone keeps reading in my posts where I say "Pence is awesome?" or "let's all praise Pence as a normal and good person?" Why do people keep thinking I'm not calling him a repugnant piece of poo poo who I want nowhere near power? But in a contest between him and Trump it's Pence every day, every time.

But he's not a threat to democracy. That's the difference between Trump and everyone else. Democracies fail all the time, they are the exception not the rule. And when democracies fail it isn't the privileged who suffer most. Free and open society, democratic government, rule of law, these are the things that best guard marginalized people. If democracy fails, it doesn't really matter what policy the ruling party has, it's going to be bad for everyone especially the already disadvantaged and scapegoated.

And in that respect, Trump stands nearly alone. Pence is terrible, and would be a terrible president, but there would without a shadow of doubt still be a president elected after Pence. That's the difference. That makes him a lesser evil.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Alhazred posted:

When Mike Pence was asked if he wanted women to decide over their own body, if gays should have the civil rights that straight people enjoy or if people should have place they could check themselves for HIV he said "no". I couldn't give a gently caress about what he said about his experience at Hamilton.

They also refused to criticize Trump when those things happened. gently caress'em.

Yeah, I wasn't using that as a point about theater criticism, it's about tolerating dissent. You know, the cornerstone upon which free and open society is built? That without the government tolerating dissent there is no more free society? If you care about civil rights, you should give a poo poo that Trump keeps praising authoritarians for their authoritarianism and all the other leaders of the party are not. And I don't know where you've been living where McCain and Romney haven't been criticizing Trump, but they've done so loudly, repeatedly and for years.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

My hot take is that the biggest difference between Trump and Pence is that Trump says all the horrible poo poo that Pence wishes he could say.

That, and Trump is more than willing to let the world burn as long as he and his corporate asskissers turn a profit, whereas Pence would insist on using LGBTQ people as the kindling.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010
Which is a bigger threat, a politician who hates you but works within the system, or a politician who kinda hates you but listens to people who hate you and hates all those civil rights you have to protect yourself from government hate?

I have no doubt Pence truly hates LGBT people, doesn't view women as equal to men, and a whole bunch of other terrible stuff. But that could also describe Bush, or Reagan, or just about every President we've had with maybe a few exceptions. But we've been able to progress past that because we've been able to elect more liberal people and the government can't shut us up as we demand equality for all. We can survive Pence, because he would respect the limits of the system that will eventually allow us to remove his hateful rear end. Trump doesn't, and the longer he is in that office the weaker our democratic norms become, the more likely we get a dictator. Tell me, how do right wing dictators treat LGBT people and women?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Cpt.Americant posted:

Which is a bigger threat, a politician who hates you but works within the system, or a politician who kinda hates you but listens to people who hate you and hates all those civil rights you have to protect yourself from government hate?

I have no doubt Pence truly hates LGBT people, doesn't view women as equal to men, and a whole bunch of other terrible stuff. But that could also describe Bush, or Reagan, or just about every President we've had with maybe a few exceptions. But we've been able to progress past that because we've been able to elect more liberal people and the government can't shut us up as we demand equality for all. We can survive Pence, because he would respect the limits of the system that will eventually allow us to remove his hateful rear end. Trump doesn't, and the longer he is in that office the weaker our democratic norms become, the more likely we get a dictator. Tell me, how do right wing dictators treat LGBT people and women?

The answer is that both have no redeeming qualities and both get the guillotine.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neodoomium posted:

In fact, he might be in MORE trouble since he potentially knew about people like Michael Flynn before Trump did.

He also doesn't have the defense that he has dementia and doesn't know what's going on

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Katt posted:

The answer is that both have no redeeming qualities and both get the guillotine.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Katt posted:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Neodoomium posted:

Also he's not protected like Trump is. Mueller can just flat-out indict him whenever he gets enough evidence.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

You know, I WAS looking for an entry to the gaybies for Worst label, thanks for providing politoons thread!

edit: also what's up with that capitol? Is PR falling upwards as it cracks or is it mending again after PR fell through it??

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Jesus with his laser-sword of love?

:dance:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuQK6t2Esng

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pence has done nothing but be a toady to Trump and hasn't stood up to him in any capacity and has happily boot-licked him for the last year. Anyone that thinks he is any better is falling for exactly the sort of thing people have been saying: since he says a few nice things about Democracy and civility in public he must be better than Trump who is such an open rear end in a top hat. It's the ones that fool people into thinking they have decent intentions or respect the system that are much more dangerous than the ones that don't know how to play the game correctly and try to bulldoze their way through. The fact that the GOP and their media has so easily become a cargo cult for Trump is very indicative that he is nothing outside the ordinary except he doesn't know how to message effectively to the political establishment as effectively as he does to white supremacists. Remember that the Senate GOP (supposedly the house that's supposed to honor tradition and be the sensible check on the crazier house) stole a SCOTUS seat in an unprecedented move and that was BEFORE Trump got elected. There are no good Republicans and people should stop pining for a fictional Republican President that is better than Trump since none exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think Pence would be an improvement on Trump because he doesn't have nearly the cult of personality that Trump does and that would greatly affect his room to maneuver as he tries to rip out all our spines and suck the marrow out of them.

• Locked thread