Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

Hold on... Someone just stapled all the Brienne scenes from Game of Thrones together and replaced "horse" with "space-ship"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
An old question I have: why is it only Obi-Wan and Yoda knew how to become ghosts? Why didn't other Jedi before Qui-Gon know how to become ghosts? I know the in-universe explanation, I want to know why George Lucas chose to do it this way.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
My only you from this movie was finding BF2 on sale for less than 30% of its regular price due to some sale.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Kurzon posted:

An old question I have: why is it only Obi-Wan and Yoda knew how to become ghosts? Why didn't other Jedi before Qui-Gon know how to become ghosts? I know the in-universe explanation, I want to know why George Lucas chose to do it this way.

It's a contrast to Anakin's obsession with stopping those he loves from dying. Yoda's advice about letting others go and join the Force, while it came at the wrong time in the wrong context, was basically right- and even in the midst of their greatest failure, at least some of the Jedi discover a kind of salvation.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Why on Earth should Holdo explain everything to Poe? They area a military organization and you don't have a successful one of those if any random soldier can demand answers and explinations from the brass.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Karnegal posted:

Why on Earth should Holdo explain everything to Poe? They area a military organization and you don't have a successful one of those if any random soldier can demand answers and explinations from the brass.

Because that's how it is in all the other movies.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Karnegal posted:

They're trying to evacuate the entire capital ship on dozens of transports so expectations of secrecy seem a bit strange. Plus he's a highly skilled captain so he could probably help.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

Total Meatlove posted:

The bombing of Dresden was a crime against humanity though?

Ahem. Sir, this is the Star Wars thread. My point, regardless of how clumsy or apt my analogy is that starkiller base is not the same narratively or in plot terms as the death star. The Fo are not fascists. The resistance are not any kind of leftists.

Sinding Johansson fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 27, 2017

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Karnegal posted:

Frankly, Holdo should have had Poe shot for mutiny and insubordination. Talent without discipline is dangerous.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Kurzon posted:

They quasi explain this at the end of the Clone Wars cartoon.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Why was what Admiral Holdo did a good thing but when Finn tried it it’s a bad thing?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They're trying to evacuate the entire capital ship on dozens of transports so expectations of secrecy seem a bit strange. Plus he's a highly skilled captain so he could probably help.

It''s not about this particular instance though. You maintain discipline so that when you give an order it's followed. Poe got demoted for not following orders. You don't turn around and reward him for similar behavior. There are certainly planning phases and people get to question stuff there. It seems clear that Poe was in that group at the start of the film, but then he got demoted and lost those privileges.

Poe is a hotshot ace fighter; the transports seemed like clunky slow ships, so I don't think there is good evidence that Poe piloting one was going to be a big boon.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Why was what Admiral Holdo did a good thing but when Finn tried it it’s a bad thing?

I think this is an inconsistency in the plot. We had 3 suicide runs in the film and 2 were good but one was randomly bad. It would have been way smarter to make it clear that Finn's attack was doomed to failure but he was too obsessed with hitting the bad guys to pull out. That may have been the intent -there are a couple things that suggest it was- but if so, it was too ambiguous, especially if you want to hang a big lesson on it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

just another posted:

quote:

A disillusioned character talk about how terrible and insubstantial the [prequel] movies are, while the hopeful admirer counters that they should go back to them. The idea of [a religion] giving you power to move rocks is dismissed as shallow and stupid, [and] it turns out that [you don't need the religion to move the rocks]. The villain wants to [destroy the OT and prequels, which he hates, whereas Luke wants to let them fade away as their time has passed, however both learn that you cannot make a clean break from the past even if you do not want it to dictate the future]. When everyone keeps talking about how [Luke is] the spark that will [ignite interest and save the resistance/franchise, they learn that while the symbols of the past can distract and fascinate, they alone are not enough to inspire change. Concrete action and bold leadership are needed as well, or everyone dies in a (creatively) barren wasteland once the novelty of old imagery fades away.]

Edited for alternative reading.

"...ignite interest... concrete action and bold leadership..." You do realize that you're writing in the language of marketing and corporate bureaucratese, right? You have been blinded by the power of Capitalism.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 27, 2017

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Koirhor posted:

They quasi explain this at the end of the Clone Wars cartoon.
Welp, I guess I'll never know the answer.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Sinding Johansson posted:

Ahem. Sir, this is the Star Wars thread. My point, regardless of how clumsy or apt my analogy is that starkiller base is not the same narratively or in plot terms as the death star. The Fo are not fascists. The resistance are not any kind of leftists.

The resistance are antifa so they are coded as being leftist, also they are good and cool and caring so also leftists. I don't know how you're getting that the child soldiers nazi no-aliens-allowed FO aren't fascist.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Kurzon posted:

Because part of the point of the prequels was to show the Jedi had lost their way. Qui-Gon was meant to be a maverick who didn't fully agree with the Order and so succeeded where other Jedi of his era failed.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Karnegal posted:

They also were down to maybe 500 people even before they abandoned two ships. They were effectively on the ropes, and barely an organization at that point.

Poe wasn't the only person who didn't trust Holdo, which keeps getting ignored because it's inconvenient for defenders of that particular garbage decision to think about how Laura Dern played another lovely commander in a movie filled to the brim with them. There was no good reason for her to keep a secret not just from Poe, but from enough of the crew to even allow for the shortest mutiny in recent film history to play out.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I know that Johnson inherited a steaming pile of poo poo from Abrams, but what I would have liked to see is them elaborate a bit on Kylo's fall. How did Snoke "seduce" him, why was Luke unaware or unable to do something, was it a gradual thing or something that happened overnight? Elaborate! What exactly made Luke so convinced he was a lost cause, to the point he'd literally want to kill him?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Vitamin P posted:

The resistance are antifa so they are coded as being leftist, also they are good and cool and caring so also leftists. I don't know how you're getting that the child soldiers nazi no-aliens-allowed FO aren't fascist.

The resistance are not actually cool and caring. They're idiots who leave children into slavery so that they can go back to protecting their military assets.

The First Order are a propagandistic vision of revolutionary leftism, just like how the Empire was a propagandistic vision of the Soviet Union.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 27, 2017

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

fivegears4reverse posted:

They also were down to maybe 500 people even before they abandoned two ships. They were effectively on the ropes, and barely an organization at that point.

Poe wasn't the only person who didn't trust Holdo, which keeps getting ignored because it's inconvenient for defenders of that particular garbage decision to think about how Laura Dern played another lovely commander in a movie filled to the brim with them. There was no good reason for her to keep a secret not just from Poe, but from enough of the crew to even allow for the shortest mutiny in recent film history to play out.

I mean, they clearly weren't thinking of themselves that way. If they were people would have been posing a "the rebellion is dead let's disband and go into hiding" argument. That's not what happened though. They just had a different idea of how to save the rebellion.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

McCloud posted:

I know that Johnson inherited a steaming pile of poo poo from Abrams, but what I would have liked to see is them elaborate a bit on Kylo's fall. How did Snoke "seduce" him, why was Luke unaware or unable to do something, was it a gradual thing or something that happened overnight? Elaborate! What exactly made Luke so convinced he was a lost cause, to the point he'd literally want to kill him?

I don’t know much about bang bang shoot shoot in space movie saga as some internet people do, but I’m sure that they made like nine hours of cinema to explain the origins of Vader, about 18 years after the release of the final film of a trilogy?

I’m not worried about a lack of elaboration. Boy gone turn bad. More popcorn please.

It was fine. Just a bit long.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Everyone on the Poe defense force is dumb as gently caress. Dude should have been in the brig when he had his tantrum and called Holdo a traitor. I wish the poo poo had blown up more in his face instead of killing hundreds of other rebels.

The Space Leia scene should have been shot differently. Same closeup on Leia's face, but with a subtle tint to it, pull back to reveal she's in a glowy field, then she opens her eyes and pulls herself back in. Show the audience that she's protecting herself, not breathing in space.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

You mean to tell me that while they were evacuating their secret rebel base, they had time to give C-3PO another gold arm?!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

McCloud posted:

The thing is, the story told on screen didn't leave out any information that makes the plot hard to follow or anything and if you want more detail star wars is the property that is most willing to sell you that. If you want a 6 book series that follows the history of darth vader's gloves or books that dive into the whole history of the jizz band or prequel movies that go back and explain exactly darth vader is or exactly how they got the plans to the death star or whatever you are going to get it, as much as you can eat forever.

I'm not saying star wars holds out information to sell it to you later but if you are a person that wants every detail in depth about every single thing that ever appears on screen for a second then star wars is the right series for you. Willrow Hood got a whole backstory and he's on screen for like 2 seconds.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Ok so I assume this has been discussed before but I don't want to dig through the thread. Rose and Finn are told to find the code breaker who has a red blossom on the Monaco planet, they see a dude with the red blossom pin but they don't get to him, BDT offers to help them, they decide to give up on getting to the guy with the actual pin that whatsherface says they can identify him by because BDT opens their cell and go on with their plan. So like, BDT was a plant the whole time and they just went with him due to time constraints or was he the actual code breaker they were told about but for some reason someone else had the red blossom pin? Star Wars is dumb as hell. When I went in watching it, I was still thinking "Wait so like the Rebels who beat the Empire are now the Resistence despite beating the Empire?" because they never loving explained that initially and this whole new series is a clusterfuck but I'll just watch it anyways because bleh.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

7c Nickel posted:

Everyone on the Poe defense force is dumb as gently caress. Dude should have been in the brig when he had his tantrum and called Holdo a traitor. I wish the poo poo had blown up more in his face instead of killing hundreds of other rebels.

The Space Leia scene should have been shot differently. Same closeup on Leia's face, but with a subtle tint to it, pull back to reveal she's in a glowy field, then she opens her eyes and pulls herself back in. Show the audience that she's protecting herself, not breathing in space.

It’s uh, not just Poe who mutinies you realize right. Why is it, do you think, that enough folks—including Billie Lourd—are freaked out enough about Holdo to mutiny?

It’s because Holdo is an incredibly bad leader.

There’s an immense amount of talk about how Poe gets everyone killed because of BDT (when it’s in fact Finn and Rose but hey) but for all of that I have yet to hear a defensible reason for Holdo to have withheld something as simple as, “we’re heading to salt hoth, once we’re lose we can hop into the transports because the FO isn’t monitoring for ships that small”

She withheld it from not just Poe, but from everyone assembled at her briefing. Why? Why not give them something? We get multiple shots of Billie Lourd looking like, “oh gently caress this poo poo”. Poe is just the most vocal. Actors around the scene where Poe is flipping out are playing it as, “finally!! Someone’s telling the truth here!”

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dr.Radical posted:

Ok so I assume this has been discussed before but I don't want to dig through the thread. Rose and Finn are told to find the code breaker who has a red blossom on the Monaco planet, they see a dude with the red blossom pin but they don't get to him, BDT offers to help them, they decide to give up on getting to the guy with the actual pin that whatsherface says they can identify him by because BDT opens their cell and go on with their plan. So like, BDT was a plant the whole time and they just went with him due to time constraints or was he the actual code breaker they were told about but for some reason someone else had the red blossom pin? Star Wars is dumb as hell. When I went in watching it, I was still thinking "Wait so like the Rebels who beat the Empire are now the Resistence despite beating the Empire?" because they never loving explained that initially and this whole new series is a clusterfuck but I'll just watch it anyways because bleh.

don't overthink it, there was just more than one good code breaker on a planet

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Dr.Radical posted:

So like, BDT was a plant the whole time and they just went with him due to time constraints or was he the actual code breaker they were told about but for some reason someone else had the red blossom pin?

No. They couldn't get to the pin guy because they were in jail. In jail, they met another codebreaker and since he helped them escape they figured "good enough" and then when they got caught he immediately sold them out because he doesn't give a poo poo about the Resistance. He wasn't some First Order deep cover operative, he was just a dude.

ChickenMedium fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 27, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Friends, friends. They can both be fuckups.

Even if Poe should be disciplined and probably shot for the mutiny, Holdo had nothing to gain by withholding that information from a guy that has SHOWN to be reckless and that could possibly endanger her plans if left alone, especially considering he was a pretty high-ranking officer in the Rebellion. There were no suspicions regarding him or anyone else for that matter, so you can't even play it as "well, there might've been spies".

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Dr.Radical posted:

They decide to go with the super sketchy guy because he SEEMS impressive and is right there, but it backfires when he get's caught trying to get the door open and then sells them out because he sees an opportunity to get paid anyway.

Waffles Inc. posted:

It’s uh, not just Poe who mutinies you realize right. Why is it, do you think, that enough folks—including Billie Lourd—are freaked out enough about Holdo to mutiny?

It’s because Holdo is an incredibly bad leader.

There’s an immense amount of talk about how Poe gets everyone killed because of BDT (when it’s in fact Finn and Rose but hey) but for all of that I have yet to hear a defensible reason for Holdo to have withheld something as simple as, “we’re heading to salt hoth, once we’re lose we can hop into the transports because the FO isn’t monitoring for ships that small”

She withheld it from not just Poe, but from everyone assembled at her briefing. Why? Why not give them something? We get multiple shots of Billie Lourd looking like, “oh gently caress this poo poo”. Poe is just the most vocal. Actors around the scene where Poe is flipping out are playing it as, “finally!! Someone’s telling the truth here!”

Because he's a hot headed idiot that's just been demoted for insubordination and immediately get's in her face because he feels he's entitled to command. gently caress him. Also there's nothing in the movie to support the idea that "he really saved them because the dreadnought would have caught up and killed them after the jump."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

Because he's a hot headed idiot that's just been demoted for insubordination and immediately get's in her face because he feels he's entitled to command. gently caress him. Also there's nothing in the movie to support the idea that "he really saved them because the dreadnought would have caught up and killed them after the jump."
The Dreadnaught is shown to have powerful super long-range weapons in the first scene when it blew up the base on the planet.

Poe has been trusted with plenty of important information before (eg TFA) and the evacuation plan is going to be impossible to keep secret for long and doesn't even need to be kept a secret.

Dias posted:

Exactly.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

7c Nickel posted:

They decide to go with the super sketchy guy because he SEEMS impressive and is right there, but it backfires when he get's caught trying to get the door open and then sells them out because he sees an opportunity to get paid anyway.

Well there’s the fact that thI dreadnaught is called a fleet killer and is about 3 seconds from killing them but let’s just leave that

What you’re implying and the way Laura Dern plays keeping the info from Poe is spite; she’s got an axe to grind, even if she does end up liking him in the end enough to praise him to Leia. Is leadership based on “gently caress that guy” good? Also she doesn’t just keep her plan from Poe, but from enough people to cause a mutiny

Is it too much to ask of our military leadership to give us some indication that they have SOME sort of sane plan? Anything at all?

And yeah, they’re absolutely both fuckups.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

ChickenMedium posted:

No. They couldn't get to the pin guy because they were in jail. In jail, they met another codebreaker and since he helped them escape they figured "good enough" and then when they got caught he immediately sold them out because he doesn't give a poo poo about the Resistance. He wasn't some First Order deep cover operative, he was just a dude.

That's dumb as hell. They didn't figure to try to get to the original dude who apparently knew Wise Glasses Lady after being broken out of jail? Like I get that they kind of were forced to go with BDT at the end but between getting out of jail and getting onto the ship he and BB8 stole, they didn't even try to get to Red Blossom Guy.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The thing is, the story told on screen didn't leave out any information that makes the plot hard to follow or anything and if you want more detail star wars is the property that is most willing to sell you that. If you want a 6 book series that follows the history of darth vader's gloves or books that dive into the whole history of the jizz band or prequel movies that go back and explain exactly darth vader is or exactly how they got the plans to the death star or whatever you are going to get it, as much as you can eat forever.

I'm not saying star wars holds out information to sell it to you later but if you are a person that wants every detail in depth about every single thing that ever appears on screen for a second then star wars is the right series for you. Willrow Hood got a whole backstory and he's on screen for like 2 seconds.

Oh I don't need it for the backstories sake. As you said, the broad strokes of the story is made available because we're told about this by the characters. I do however it would add some weight to the scene where Luke is standing over Kylo, if we actually see why he might think this kid is going to be a danger, instead of how it was presented to us, which is a middle-aged man about to murder his nephew in his sleep.

Edit: Actually that's not strictly true, I would like to know how Snoke managed to seduce young Kylo under the nose of Skywalker. He clearly knew Kylo was being influenced, but apparently his only reaction was to euthanize him? I feel like for such a pivotal moment we could use a few more details.
Presumably there aren't any because the writers didn't actually bother filling in the details.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 27, 2017

Woden
May 6, 2006

Dias posted:

Even if Poe should be disciplined and probably shot for the mutiny, Holdo had nothing to gain by withholding that information from a guy that has SHOWN to be reckless and that could possibly endanger her plans if left alone, especially considering he was a pretty high-ranking officer in the Rebellion. There were no suspicions regarding him or anyone else for that matter, so you can't even play it as "well, there might've been spies".

There were people trying to bail in escape pods, they don't need to be spies for information to leak.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Kart Barfunkel posted:

only women can be inspirational. It's Their Turn

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

it would have been real easy to dot this i if there was actually a traitor on the ship that got them followed through hyperspace, but instead they had to have the tumb Press X to Follow Rebels through Hyperspace button...so that there could be a Casino Arc

Casino Arc Ruins Everything

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
Poe represents the Patriarchy. Bold womyn like Holdo and Leia don't need to tell him anything because he's a bigoted vaginaphobe. That he rebels and tries to start an uprising is just further evidence of his toxic masculinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I sometimes wonder if Holdo isn't some sort of reference to the SJW movement, what with the purple hair and being in a position of power as a woman dealing with a stubborn entitled testosterone jerk, but then I shake my head and swear that I'm overthinking it, but wouldn't it be funny if she was?

• Locked thread