Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

^ Doesn't work in Firefox so guess thats out.

I love it when people are all " Oh god its o easy just do X"
Well, I have plenty of money right now, but there is no OPTION to buy trust.

I'm gonna let creat run overnight and hit 100k and see if that does anything. otherwise Im gonna forget this silly thing

Well, if the 100k creativity doesn't get you a respec option, consider getting -10k operations by quantum computing at the end of the cycle. That will give you an option to respec everything 100% for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zil posted:

Research Manifest Destiny and then send settlers west.

not recommended, actually

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did you at least advise them of the full-capacity bug, or was that not your concern?

God I wanted to but unfortunately it would look like my businesses opinion and the guy was pretty emotionally invested into them as he mentioned it 5 times within 10 minutes.

Or he was a 60 year old goon.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

I am still steadfastedly refusing to believe that this derail about a paperclip clicking game is anything but a "It's Margarita Time" style bullshit session.

EDIT: Okay, well, I just looked it up and I guess it's not. Jesus.

null_pointer fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 26, 2017

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

null_pointer posted:

I am still steadfastedly refusing to believe that this derail about a paperclip clicking game is anything but a "It's Margarita Time" style bullshit session.
No it's just a game where you play a paperclip maximizer.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I snagged the mobile version. Downside, it doesn’t idle while not onscreen. Dev earned my $3 though. That ending.

Samezees

Also, anyone that doesn’t mind dropping a couple bucks for a premium idle game with no iap, check out spaceplan.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.devolver.spaceplan&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spaceplan/id1200864554?mt=8

It’s about potatoes

The Fool fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 26, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Malek posted:

God I wanted to but unfortunately it would look like my businesses opinion and the guy was pretty emotionally invested into them as he mentioned it 5 times within 10 minutes.

Or he was a 60 year old goon.

...Did he work in a TV station?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

...Did he work in a TV station?

Manufacturing and Engineering... I would be able to spot larches business a mile away and I know they can't afford even the lowest equipment we sell.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
This is probably not the right thread but y'all seem pretty smart: Does anyone know what happened to the option to set compatibility options for all new documents in Word 2013 and 2016?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I don't like the folder redirect for documents to go to a network drive. I've had a lot of lost data when the sync breaks and users do not notice and their machine needs to be re-imaged or HD crash. A disaster backup of some of the shell locations to a network location is pretty nice though.

This should only be a problem for laptop users

null_pointer posted:

EDIT: Okay, well, I just looked it up and I guess it's not. Jesus.

Autism runs deep in our profession, especially if you think of Cat5 as a set of bi-directional train tracks.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Overheard just now, quoted nearly verbatim:

"Hi this is Bob with client IT department, and I'm calling to ask, do you exist?"

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

hihifellow posted:

"Hi this is Bob with client IT department, and I'm calling to ask, do you exist?"

So I start marching my way down to Carol in HR and I knocked on the door and I said 'Carol! Caaarrrooool! I want to talk to you about Pepe' and when I open the door what do I find there's not a single goddamn desk in that office there is. no. Carol in HR.

In fact, half the employees in this building were made up.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A flaw in the ship's design.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Stanley decided to visit the HR Department. Surely they would know where everyone had mysteriously vanished to.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Data Graham posted:

A flaw in the ship's design.
Is that a Starship Titanic reference? Please let it be a Starship Titanic reference.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Just another day in Nightvale Public Radio

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

hihifellow posted:

It would be okay if I came to the realization that I was a fictional character.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A Pinball Wizard posted:

This is probably not the right thread but y'all seem pretty smart: Does anyone know what happened to the option to set compatibility options for all new documents in Word 2013 and 2016?
It no longer exists.

The generous reading is that this is because people were fiddling with them and then opening documents with the wrong settings then complaining on forums, so now it's file specific. The more probable one is that Microsoft wants you to please stop using .docs

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Ghostlight posted:

It no longer exists.

The generous reading is that this is because people were fiddling with them and then opening documents with the wrong settings then complaining on forums, so now it's file specific. The more probable one is that Microsoft wants you to please stop using .docs

Thanks. Luckily I found another way to fix what I needed to fix.

Do you know if there's any official statement that .doc is deprecated or going away soon? If I start the ball rolling now Dev might change our software to use docx by like 2021 or so.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Elizabethan Error posted:

Stanley decided to visit the HR Department. Surely they would know where everyone had mysteriously vanished to.

There was nothing here, no choice to make. Just an empty Broom Closet.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Thanks. Luckily I found another way to fix what I needed to fix.

Do you know if there's any official statement that .doc is deprecated or going away soon? If I start the ball rolling now Dev might change our software to use docx by like 2021 or so.

It's been deprecated for about a decade. I don't see it going unsupported within Office, however. They still support opening and saving from versions of Office 20 years old (Office 97)

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Proteus Jones posted:

It's been deprecated for about a decade. I don't see it going unsupported within Office, however. They still support opening and saving from versions of Office 20 years old (Office 97)
And every once in a while someone finds one of those Word 97 docs on our network drives, then freaks out because Word helpfully opens them read-only with no way to fix it unless you drill deep into settings. And no one can understand that I fixed this setting on your profile, everyone else will still have the same problem, but god forbid they just save the file in the new format. Gotta preserve those old tab settings precisely.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Man.

I’m the Internal Support Manager (mostly managing the help desk guys and a couple sysadmins) at the company where I work. I was subordinate directly to the Assistant IT Director until I was subordinate to the Director... because the original director resigned earlier this month.

This past Friday one of my best sysadmins let me know he found a better opportunity and his last day would be the 29th.

On Tuesday the now-director called me to let me know he ALSO resigned, last day on the 29th.

I’m on vacation till the 2nd. Tuesday is going to be... interesting :smithicide:

I think 2018 will need to be my year of the job.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Or a promotion to director is in your near future. And if you can just hold on long enough through the apparent car fire that is your IT org you might be able to sneak your way into a commensurate position somewhere else before it consumes you.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

hihifellow posted:

[Continued]'
I decided to peek around the corner to see what was going on. I then realized... the phone isn't plugged in.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Knormal posted:

And every once in a while someone finds one of those Word 97 docs on our network drives, then freaks out because Word helpfully opens them read-only with no way to fix it unless you drill deep into settings. And no one can understand that I fixed this setting on your profile, everyone else will still have the same problem, but god forbid they just save the file in the new format. Gotta preserve those old tab settings precisely.
You can push out GPOs to alter those very same profile settings, which can also be used to prevent people from saving files as .xls or .doc

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

anthonypants posted:

You can push out GPOs to alter those very same profile settings, which can also be used to prevent people from saving files as .xls or .doc
You could, if our AD admins knew what they were doing when it comes to group policy. I've mentioned this before in this thread, but our AD/GPO people are really bad.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Malek posted:

[Continued]'
I decided to peek around the corner to see what was going on. I then realized... the phone isn't plugged in.

THEN WHO WAS PHONE?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Weatherman posted:

THEN WHO WAS PHONE?

NEW PHONE!

WHO DIS?

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Overheard today, quoted literally:

"Hi this is Jim with client IT department and I'm calling to ask, is this real life? Is this just fantasy?"

Jim hasn't been the same since he got caught in that landslide.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
When I tell mama I just killed a man, I'm referring to Dave from HR.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

hihifellow posted:

Overheard today, quoted literally:

"Hi this is Jim with client IT department and I'm calling to ask, is this real life? Is this just fantasy?"

Jim hasn't been the same since he got caught in that landslide.

There's just no escape from reality.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Knormal posted:

You could, if our AD admins knew what they were doing when it comes to group policy. I've mentioned this before in this thread, but our AD/GPO people are really bad.

I don't understand how you can be bad at AD/GPO, it's so loving easy.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've just finished my Classics education (This Thread edition), which started with Dick Trauma and ended with Larches (like all good nights out).

It's painful reading because it could've been me, my first job out of university was all the same poo poo but I got so sick of it I quit and moved to the other side of the planet.

To all the new readers out there, get out while you can. Don't wind up dead, or worse; in the OP.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't understand how you can be bad at AD/GPO, it's so loving easy.

No? Here's a primer:

1. Just stuff new user/computer objects in the default Users and Computers top level OUs.
2. Set every user object to password never expires, and change password policy in the default domain GPO to 2 characters no complexity no passwords remembered.
3. Come to think of it, don't create any other GPOs at all, make all changes in the default domain GPO, including turning Windows firewall completely off, setting Windows updates to point to a server that doesn't exist anymore and not allowing machines to access updates from Microsoft, definitely enable NetBIOS sharing (turn off SMB2, SMB1's much better), and allow RDP from any user no NLA required.
4. Set up 5 domain controllers: DC1, DC2, DC4, SERVER03, APOLLO. Split FSMO roles between DC2 and APOLLO. Now without changing any roles, turn off the DC2 and APOLLO physical servers and ewaste them (they were physical of course, you have no VMs because virtualization technology is too new and untrusted).
5. Add all users to Domain Admins so they can install coupon software on their machines.
6. Set up fileshares with Everyone full control for both sharing and NTFS permissions.

Ahh, there we go, job done. Happy New Year!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Super Soaker Party! posted:

No? Here's a primer:

1. Just stuff new user/computer objects in the default Users and Computers top level OUs.
2. Set every user object to password never expires, and change password policy in the default domain GPO to 2 characters no complexity no passwords remembered.
3. Come to think of it, don't create any other GPOs at all, make all changes in the default domain GPO, including turning Windows firewall completely off, setting Windows updates to point to a server that doesn't exist anymore and not allowing machines to access updates from Microsoft, definitely enable NetBIOS sharing (turn off SMB2, SMB1's much better), and allow RDP from any user no NLA required.
4. Set up 5 domain controllers: DC1, DC2, DC4, SERVER03, APOLLO. Split FSMO roles between DC2 and APOLLO. Now without changing any roles, turn off the DC2 and APOLLO physical servers and ewaste them (they were physical of course, you have no VMs because virtualization technology is too new and untrusted).
5. Add all users to Domain Admins so they can install coupon software on their machines.
6. Set up fileshares with Everyone full control for both sharing and NTFS permissions.

Why have you done this to me near the end of a wonderfully low-stress work week.

:negative:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

No? Here's a primer:

Oh, I used to work here!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

This thread is over 4 years old. Is it time for a new one?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

No? Here's a primer:

Welcome to purgatory, no you can't change that without going through the change control board. Who is on the change control board? Your predecessor's predecessor and the deaf octogenarian in accounting. Changes to the change control board? You need the approval of the sitting members of the change control board. Not going through the change control board is a fire-able offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

3. Come to think of it, don't create any other GPOs at all, make all changes in the default domain GPO

Guess what I found here when I first started digging into the GPOs?

:negative:

• Locked thread