Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

pog boyfriend posted:

extra prestige = reduced AE impact which is really good when fighting a war

And also better relations over time
And also more morale
And also more trade power
And also more legitimacy
And also you can use it to buy down liberty desire
And also you can use it to throw away lovely heirs

Prestige loving owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

how does one properly manage professionalism? Every war I finish with my armies completely depleted of professionalism. Do I scrounge up the armies too much? (Exaggerating a tiny bit, but I really could use some pointers)

double nine fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 27, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

double nine posted:

how does one properly manage professionalism? Every war I finish with my armies completely depleted of professionalism. Do I scrounge up the armies too much?

You're probably confusing drill and professionalism. Drill is supposed to fade away during war, the idea is you will spend the time in between wars drilling back up to 100% before losing all your drill again in the next few battles. Basically drill just means that if you have some down-time and money and remember to click the button, your armies will be better than usual in the first few engagements of the next war. Professionalism shouldn't be going down most of the time, there are events which can situationally make it useful to dump a little bit and if you're really screwed for manpower it's sometimes worth it to spend some on that, but unless you're buying poo poo tons of mercs it shouldn't consistently be dropping.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

yeah, I'm talking about drill, sorry. To leave no uncertainty, I'm talking about the blue bar next to a unit's morale bar. Professionalism I'm usually par with most of my competitors so that's ok.

double nine fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 27, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

double nine posted:

yeah, I'm talking about drill - the blue bar next to a unit's morale bar.

Yeah, basically just remember to always drill your dudes if it's safe and affordable, and try to avoid taking casualties because reinforcement lowers drill. You're never going to be able to keep everyone at 100 drill all the time and you don't need to do that either. It's a nice bonus if you can get it but it just won't last in a long or bloody fight no matter what. If you can't get high drill you can always worry about numerical superiority, generals, terrain etc.

Drill is also just very slow to build up at the start, especially if you have a busy opening with a lot of fighting to do. Be sure you are using the two special decisions to increase drill speed (Gunpowder Regiments and later Uniform Regulations iirc).

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
For me, professionalism mostly ends up just being an extra bank of manpower for the cost of keeping full instead of partial maintenance in between wars.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

And also more morale
And also more legitimacy

Prestige loving owns

That last one cannot be stated enough. Stack enough positive prestige modifiers and you have no problem getting rid of even mediocre or good heirs since you can get prestige up really fast.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Yeah prestige is one of those things where you always always always want to be gaining in spades and makes everything you do better. Sure, sometimes you sit at 100 prestige for a long stretch because you have a great heir and nothing to burn it on.

This is a good problem to have

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

But is the prestige from battles worth anything? Is it enough to be meaningful? Especially when the AI just runs away and sits inside another nation's borders that you can't cross into.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

How are y’all getting prestige, especially when not actually At War?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
+50 prestige from advisor events, which generally only pop up when I'm sitting at 100 prestige and don't have anything in particular to burn it on :v:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Religious ideas used to be better when Deus Vult was one of the first ideas instead of the last one.

Religious ideas have always been pretty meh, that's why Deus Vult had to be moved to the end of the idea group; too many people were just taking the first idea for the CB and then abandoning the group later.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the religious capstone should be a second missionary

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Beefeater1980 posted:

If you don't need to reduce inflation, get the prestige advisor until you're at 100 prestige.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Getting low AE CBs without Religious is just so goddamn tedious. Almost makes me want to take Espionage.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Tahirovic posted:

Getting low AE CBs without Religious is just so goddamn tedious. Almost makes me want to take Espionage.

Yup.

Almost.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Taking unclaimed provinces with a conquest CB doesn't incur more AE, just in case you're under that impression. Other than giving you the CB, the only thing a claim does is grant the -10% coring cost and eliminate the unjustified demand penalty (normally 3 DIP per development).

Most of the time I just get one or two claims on high development border provinces and pay the DIP cost for the rest. Getting claims on anything more than that is just not worth interacting with the espionage system.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Beefeater1980 posted:

not actually At War?

:confused:

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Beefeater1980 posted:

I am always at war

Tahirovic posted:

This is not how AE works, you only get more AE if you didn't declare a co-beligerent

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Beefeater1980 posted:

Declare war on someone. War is basically the only efficient way to earn prestige. I see the prestige advisor only as a way to not lose it once you have it.

If you're not at war very often, then you have to milk the most out of every one. Separate peace every ally with as many random prestige-giving treaties as possible. End rivalries and break alliances you don't give a gently caress about.

But also if you have manpower to spare, then just declare war. Even if you don't want any land, find someone weak to pick on and use a humiliate CB for. Though you should probably just take more land, to be perfectly honest.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

I Love You! posted:

This is not how AE works, you only get more AE if you didn't declare a co-beligerent

Religious War has a 75% AE modifier

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Eldred posted:

Which I find strange, tbh, considering your own religion already only barely cares when you take land from heathens, and why would your religious enemies be less mad about you taking their land if you justify it through religion? Isn't that usually the opposite of how that works?

I'm not saying to change it, but it's just weird if you think about it. But I guess most of the poo poo in this game is.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 27, 2017

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

Eldred posted:

This is why I took religious for my Morocco game - let me eat Iberia a lot faster (AE was still a huge problem with Catholics though).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, the AE modifier is not the important thing about Deus Vult, because in practice it really doesn't change much. The real benefits are the massive amount of DIP points you save, and the peace of mind of not having to deal with forging claims.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It's kind of funny that one of the states which really benefits a lot from Religious ideas (Persia) doesn't need them so much because they have a way to generate huge amounts of claims, and also get a free leg up on conversions from their government type.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

todays challenge run is to see how far you can get as navarra. you win if you get the iberian peninsula but anything more is welcome

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Okay thread I have a question. It's 1600 or so and I'm the Protestant Prussian Emperor and I'm wondering. Should I dismantle the HRE and form Germany or should a roll with it and reform the HRE. The first hundred years were pretty touch and go, but after Austria sent a eighty thousand men to die in russia while I sieged out all of Germany in the Religious wars, I've become the strongest power in the game by far and I honestly don't have a real goal anymore than to keep bullying Austria and to add more land to the HRE.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

RabidWeasel posted:

It's a relatively new mechanic, got added like a year ago maybe? Tolerance was really bad before that change.

No I'm pretty sure that's a thing since forever

Groogy fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 27, 2017

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Oh man I had no idea and I've got 700+ hours

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Groogy posted:

No I'm pretty sure that's a thing since forever

Since patch 1.6 from 29th may, 2014, I believe.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
In my defense I don't think I ever picked Humanism before the holy war nerf, but I was right that it wasn't always like that! :v:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
:blush: I pick humanism for role-play reasons and so my little computer people can live more just and enlightened lives

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I just realized today that humanism has +33% improve relations which seems amazing as a war monger.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

I just realized today that humanism has +33% improve relations which seems amazing as a war monger.

Humanist is a really good warmonger group actually because of this, and also -2 unrest and -10 years of separatism. The added tolerance helps when conquering heathen/heretic land and the +2 max accepted cultures can be a really big boost to large, multicultural empires.

But it's like a 4th or 5th pick group, really. You really want administrative and at least a couple military idea groups first.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Yeah, Humanism is in the Too Good category for any sort of major conquest run, but you never want to rush it. It's just the best thing in the world when you finally do get it, though.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Gaius Marius posted:

Okay thread I have a question. It's 1600 or so and I'm the Protestant Prussian Emperor and I'm wondering. Should I dismantle the HRE and form Germany or should a roll with it and reform the HRE. The first hundred years were pretty touch and go, but after Austria sent a eighty thousand men to die in russia while I sieged out all of Germany in the Religious wars, I've become the strongest power in the game by far and I honestly don't have a real goal anymore than to keep bullying Austria and to add more land to the HRE.

Staying Emperor and revoking the privilegia is probably your strongest move because of the vassal swarm + Prussian Monarchy, but what sounds more fun to you?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Fister Roboto posted:

And also more morale
And also more legitimacy

Prestige loving owns

The ability to spend prestige to suffocate shitter heirs with a pillow is, like, the best feature Paradox has added to this game in years.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I want to play in America, what's the best start there? Central (Aztec / Mayan), south (Inca) or north (some native tribe)? What is the funniest or most interesting special mechanic for those starts?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

TorakFade posted:

I want to play in America, what's the best start there? Central (Aztec / Mayan), south (Inca) or north (some native tribe)? What is the funniest or most interesting special mechanic for those starts?

They're all pretty miserable but probably central america.

The funniest mechanic by far is playing a native tribe from north america, migrating south, taking up the Nahuatl religion, and abusing a bunch of unintended mechanics to piece together an absurd powerhouse of a nation.

It's super annoying to do because a bunch of stuff can go wrong but if you succeed congrats, your nation is unstoppable.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/quick-try-a-game-with-caddo-before-paradox-nerfs-it.989901/

Just to reiterate: America starts suck unless you like AFKing

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I Love You! posted:

They're all pretty miserable but probably central america.

The funniest mechanic by far is playing a native tribe from north america, migrating south, taking up the Nahuatl religion, and abusing a bunch of unintended mechanics to piece together an absurd powerhouse of a nation.

It's super annoying to do because a bunch of stuff can go wrong but if you succeed congrats, your nation is unstoppable.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/quick-try-a-game-with-caddo-before-paradox-nerfs-it.989901/

From what I remember, I tried this and had some trouble. When I looked around on forums for tips, people had said it got nerfed months ago.

If you wanna play in America, the Aztecs are the only ones I’d really recommend. North American natives are stupid and haven’t been really touched since CoP. Incan and Mayan mechanics were annoying to me and not as fun or broken as Aztec mechanics.