Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Smythe posted:

i dont really have a huge academic analysis of this pile of garbage, but i can say for certain that there is no artistry in this movie

i read scripts for a living and this script, it makes me sick. i nearly fell asleep in my chair watching this festering mountain of burning cash before my eyes.

no respect for the source material. just terrible. the product of a big board room and the antithesis of the auteurist experience.

Assuming you're not just trolling for attention, given the critical reception, how do you square your (professional?) opinion that TLJ is completely without objective merit with the vast majority of critics who review movies for a living soundly disagreeing with you?

After all, you haven't said "TLJ just isn't my taste" or "TLJ disappointed me because I was looking for more X, Y, and Z", you've made sweeping and categoric condemnations of the entire craft of the film. So is everyone else just stupid but you?

edit: Don't worry, I'm getting schooled below on citing RT... :sweatdrop:

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

No you see professional film critics can't be trusted because they all received giant mouse shaped cheques to give the film positive reviews.

Only the 1s and 10s posted by illiterates and bots truly reflect the film's quality.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

mary had a little clam posted:

Assuming you're not just trolling for attention, given the critical reception, how do you square your (professional?) opinion that TLJ is completely without objective merit with the vast majority critics who review movies for a living soundly disagreeing with you?

After all, you haven't said "TLJ just isn't my taste" or "TLJ disappointed me because I was looking for more X, Y, and Z", you've made sweeping and categoric condemnations of the entire craft of the film. So is everyone else just stupid but you?

What's helpful is actually reading those reviews that make up the score, because you'll quickly notice that they tend to be badly written. A lot of them are just plot synopses with some sketchily-argued points. Not a few of the positive ones are only lukewarm (lol) on the movie.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 27, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

mary had a little clam posted:

Assuming you're not just trolling for attention, given the critical reception, how do you square your (professional?) opinion that TLJ is completely without objective merit with the vast majority critics who review movies for a living soundly disagreeing with you?

Don't use Rotten Tomatoes to bolster any kind of argument you're making regarding the quality of a film. It just makes you look really dumb. I say this as someone who loving loves TLJ too.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Well then educate me (seriously): Does RT not aggregate general critical reception? Is it aggregating a bunch of non-serious dipshit critics or something? I assumed the "top critics" tomatometer was a little more trustworthy but sounds like I'm missing something...

(and I know RT doesn't have a bearing on the QUALITY of a film, I was strictly talking about critical reception)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The thing with RT is that if every critic thinks a film was just ok it'll end up with 100%.

It's only really useful for identifying really lovely films and maybe divisive ones.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Fair enough, that hadn't occurred to me.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Not dogpiling here but the other thing is that very few professional critics write their reviews with any sort of analysis that would inform us about their thoughts on a deeper level; they all tend to be “i liked it (or not)” on top of a plot summary

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Check the average score on RT if you want to get an idea of quality.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

McCloud posted:

Haha, look at this dork, unironically enjoying star wars. What a tool. Let's point and laugh at his poor taste. Hah!

i love to unironically enjoy star wars

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

There's never going to be an auteur Star Wars movie because the only story it can tell is overmatched rebels versus big evil empire, forever, and every new film is just going to hit the reset button in perpetuity.

The prequels were better..?!

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I’m beginning to think that the Jedi in the Auralnauts prequel trilogy is how everyone but the Jedi in the Star Wars galaxy saw them.

gently caress now I really can’t wait episode 6 of that series.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 27, 2017

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

fridge corn posted:

i love to unironically enjoy star wars

Good for you man. I disliked TLJ, but I'm happy others could see it and enjoy the Star Wars magic.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Raxivace posted:

Wait are there people watching Star Wars for naturalism

Theyre using the wrong word to describe the dialogue & delivery. The word is awful. Star Wars drips earnestness and authenticity, at least the OT does. PT is stilted and fake, New Trilogy is trash, replete with irony and Marvel-esque self-cutdowns

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ammanas posted:

Theyre using the wrong word to describe the dialogue & delivery. The word is awful. Star Wars drips earnestness and authenticity, at least the OT does. PT is stilted and fake, New Trilogy is trash, replete with irony and Marvel-esque self-cutdowns

99.99% of movie dialogue is fake.

People don't talk like that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The gently caress? The Prequels are earnest as gently caress. So much so that it scares Star Wars fans.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Richard Brody disliked both the new films and liked the Prequels

Prequels are good

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Detective No. 27 posted:

The gently caress? The Prequels are earnest as gently caress. So much so that it scares Star Wars fans.

It’s scary how boring they are.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think they're fun.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sassassin posted:

99.99% of movie dialogue is fake.

People don't talk like that.

Fucka yousa weesa don't!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Here you go guys:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

PriorMarcus posted:

Here you go guys:

awww yeeessss

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking earlier that the movie they should have given to Lord and Miller was Lego Star Wars: The Movie.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Ammanas posted:

It's completely fine to not like a certain performance and art style, but don't lie. "Fake" is a completely absurd way to describe something in movies, which are all fake.

Watch this scene and tell me if James Dean's character Jim Stark reminds you of any Star Wars character and then ask whether you think the similarity is intentional or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBOcWFBBB04

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was thinking earlier that the movie they should have given to Lord and Miller was Lego Star Wars: The Movie.

That'd be rad but Disney and WB won't be up for such a collab.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PriorMarcus posted:

Here you go guys:

I really dig the design for the Falcon. Seeing how it looked new really sells how the ship is "currently" a pile of garbage.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Schwarzwald posted:

I really dig the design for the Falcon. Seeing how it looked new really sells how the ship is "currently" a pile of garbage.

I like everything except the longer mandibles because it doesn't really make much sense. It's a freighter. I preferred the EU explanation for the Falcoln's shape.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Steve2911 posted:

That'd be rad but Disney and WB won't be up for such a collab.

A shame. If they were going to collaborate on anything, I'd much rather it was Lego Star Wars than something like Avengers vs Justice League.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PriorMarcus posted:

I like everything except the longer mandibles because it doesn't really make much sense. It's a freighter. I preferred the EU explanation for the Falcoln's shape.

They're not quite "mandibles" anymore. They're connected into a single wedge, like a little Star Destroyer.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Here you go guys:

Ugh, how are they gonna explain the YT-1300 cameos in Attack of the Clones and Revenge is the Sith?!

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Ugh, how are they gonna explain the YT-1300 cameos in Attack of the Clones and Revenge is the Sith?!

In the old "Legends" wasn't the YT-1300 we see in RotS actually meant to be the Falcon itself?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Waffles Inc. posted:

In the old "Legends" wasn't the YT-1300 we see in RotS actually meant to be the Falcon itself?

Under a different name (Stellar Envoy) at the time, but yeah; same ship.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Based on the "breast" wookiepedia page, some people might want Star Wars naturism instead.

Big naturalism

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

PriorMarcus posted:

Here you go guys:

Han and Lando in the mooooorning!

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Rey has a cracken rear end.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

I Before E posted:

Big naturalism

Sadly Russ Meyer passed before we could get "Faster, Nexu, Kill! Kill!"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Kenner's got you covered. There's removable poo poo that can slot right into the front.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Waffles Inc. posted:

What’s a bad character? What parts of the writing are bad? How is the story bad?

All of them. All of it. All of it.

Happy to help! Also, the tone sucks.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

CountFosco posted:

All of them. All of it. All of it.

Happy to help! Also, the tone sucks.

Cool talk OP glad we could discuss the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I used to have a review for the phantom menace on imdb that I could copy and paste for you but it got flagged by to many people for being honest.

It all sucks. The onus is not on us to demonstrate that, as that is the consensus opinion. It is on the prequel defenders to show us that there is something worthwhile in there. So far all that we've received is the eisegesis of one supermechagodzilla, an impressive little bit of sophistry, but a piece of analysis which commends the analyst more than the analysand.