Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bored posted:

I am poor.

hell, same.

I bought this one from Walmart.com. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

That's good, but this is actually your favorite old guy boxer video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHm31XliRgY

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

You'd think after the rest of the bystanders start referring to the dude you're fronting up to fight as "Champ" you might think about it for a second.

Nahh.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ak Gara posted:

Ah I think I see the problem. You're supposed to kill the animal first, and then cook it. Not just gorge yourself on a still living pig or cow like some kind of food vampire.

To think I've understood it wrong all these years....

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Why is the bird thread closed? :mad:

(the things others posted there were higher quality than this, sorry)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm sure that this is totally normal for ladies but I'm a guy and I just found out that women carry around trash bags so they can poop while wearing a gown and I think that's delightful

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

https://twitter.com/videocats/status/945999364308328449

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

His mistake was not asking anyone to hold his beer

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Cows would literally go extinct if we stopped breeding them for meat

Are we supposed to release them into the wild? Every drat cow would die in winter here in Sweden

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Zzulu posted:

Are we supposed to release them into the wild? Every drat cow would die in winter here in Sweden

So what you're saying is that if we released the cows they would handily store themselves as frozen meat for us anyway?

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Don't worry, global warming will fix that

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Szechuan posted:

I II
II I_ ?

yeah it's a stretch but I can see it:

1. the boys upper body (single pleat on torso)
2. the goat (2 horns, between two tree trunks
3. the boys legs.
4. the boy's book and bag.

Dungeon Ecology has a new favorite as of 15:59 on Dec 27, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Zzulu posted:

Belgian cows were specifically selected for carrying a genetic disorder causing them to produce extra muscles.

They can't even give birth naturally anymore because they are too loving buff.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Those loving cows are creepy as hell IRL, I saw some from a short distance away and I thought I was hallucinating.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Belgian cows were specifically selected for carrying a genetic disorder causing them to produce extra muscles.

They can't even give birth naturally anymore because they are too loving buff.

So kegel delivered Veal at projectile velocities or...what?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I wrote a paper on those cows last semester and scientists have isolated the double muscling genes and introduced them into other animals. They seem to think the birthing issues (they're almost exclusively birthed through c-sections and can't generally nurse their young) is because of the breed the gene is in and not the fact that they're the hulk so they want to try putting it in other cows breeds with better mothering traits. They also made double muscled pigs but only one has survived so far.

There's a sheep breed with a similar double muscled trait and they're basically hams covered in wool.

Unrelated funny cow picture

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Ak Gara posted:

So kegel delivered Veal at projectile velocities or...what?

There's an African saying that goes like "the man who swallows a coconut trusts his anus".

It's kind of a similar situation

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Elf on a Shelf has never been funny

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Eastbound Spider posted:

Don't worry, global warming will fix that

ironically, a major contributor to global warming is cow farts

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Who What Now posted:

Unironically agreed. I'm glad it didn't exist when In was a kid.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Who What Now posted:

What is it? It seems like it just appeared a few years back, and now it's some kind of tradition. Everybody has to buy an elf doll every Christmas now for some reason.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Surveillance state indoctrination

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The elf spies on your kids and snitches on them to Santa. Also it sits on a shelf or shelf analogue.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Saint Freak posted:

The elf spies on your kids and snitches on them to Santa. Also it sits on a shelf or shelf analogue.

And the parents are supposed to "hide" it during the night to give the illusion that it comes alive at night to talk to Santa. It's dumb poo poo for parents who want a new "tradition" that they can post photos of how cleverly they hid it on social media.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Elf on Shelf is primarily for parents who don't feel like actually disciplining their kids, and need a physical totem of Santa's omnipresence to threaten their kids into good behavior. It's secondarily for suburban moms who think it's cute somehow, and put in an inordinate amount of effort to actually make it look like the elf is engaging in hijinks when the kid isn't looking. It's tertiarily for "cool" parents and single dads to make them do wacky and raunchy things for Facebook likes.

I didn't know this until recently: The original Elf on Shelf book was published with the subtitle "A Christmas Tradition", which is really just putting the cart before the horse there.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

SpacePig posted:

I didn't know this until recently: The original Elf on Shelf book was published with the subtitle "A Christmas Tradition", which is really just putting the cart before the horse there.

The first time I ever heard of it was a guy came on to the TV show Shark Tank to pitch the Jewish version of it (Mensch on a Bench) and his pitch was like 'well obviously we all know the traditional Elf on the Shelf right?'. Uh, I do?

It had existed for like 4 years at the time.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Elf on the shelf is a simple child’s game meant to be fun and lighthearted and hopefully create pleasant memories for families. I’m truly sorry if this is not how it went for your family.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SpacePig posted:

It's very manufactured, and I don't understand how anyone fell for it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

As opposed to absolutely every other Christmas tradition?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I feel like the hate piled on the elf thing is a little dramatic since all the same complaints can be made against Santa, a Coke product. I don't even like the dumb thing, but geez.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend's sister does elf on the shelf with her kids, grandma gets really into it too. It's the most absurd thing to me (she agrees), I can't imagine ever participating in such nonsense. They are the pinnacle of white suburban middle class, picket fence, 2 kids and a dog in Ohio, they seem to celebrate all of the bullshit Hallmark holidays too. I don't know if they think all of these things are cute and fun, or if they're just gullible.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

As opposed to absolutely every other Christmas tradition?
Plenty of them are organic. Even the modern ones - like the Grinch cartoon - are because families just liked them. Just saying "it's a Christmas tradition!" and then everyone going "uhhh ok" is weird.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

My man, let me tell you about Valentine's Day...

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Farmdizzle posted:

My man, let me tell you about Valentine's Day most major holidays...

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

the only way I can imagine elf on the shelf getting started is social media astroturfing. it would be really interested to dig into their marketing department and find the stage where they had a stupid-looking doll and they hired some important dipshits to post on pinterest or what have you about "hiding the Elf on the Shelf again this year! little Timofer just loves that Elf on the Shelf!"

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Saint Freak posted:

And if you REALLY want to give your kids years of therapy, get a Santa surveillance camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

People aren't going along with it because someone said it's a Christmas tradition, they're doing it because they think it's fun/cute/goofy.

The extension into fake security cameras is getting weird, but it's meant to be basically a little game parents play with their kids through december.