Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

Because we can't have nice things.

Pre-edit version was better.

AngryBooch posted:

I don't know who MKupperman is. Is he a figure of some kind?

He's a cartoonist and has done some minor work for DC and Marvel. Not someone of any real significance, no.

Lurdiak just felt like starting an argument very passive aggressively I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Everytime someone uses the word "quip" in their criticism of marvel movies, I know their full of poo poo.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I take it you haven't seen the last couple marvel movies then.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You can critique them all you like but that word is 100% a dog whistle for cined posters who obsessively track the make, model and amount of cars wrecked in each Avengers movie

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

This might surprise you, but the use of excessive oneliners in marvels has been noticed outside CineD. The car thing is genuinely funny though, i'll cop to that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The comic characters in the comic book movie have comic book dialogue and im mad as hell watch my youtube please like and subscribe

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I thought quip was the noise Spider-Man's webshooters make

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Quip is the bad Victorian word Loki calls Black Widow.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

That's thwipp. Come on man, get your head in the game

Edit: He does do that while quipping though

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I thought it was Starboy's last name. Peter Quip of Terra.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 27, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

mycot posted:

Not to sound pretentious but why are you talking about a tweet with 4 likes?

He's got a blue checkmark though. That means he's verified.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Quote is not edit:

But for real though, having banter in your action movies is important if you want them to be fun. Do they sometimes have it where it's not needed, maybe, have they ever made me groan, not that I can recall.

Critics/nerds on the internet should stop worrying about how many jokes there are in Spandex movies and maybe focus on whether or not they are funny.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 27, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

teagone posted:

Pfft, I have a blue checkmark. They give those out to any old jerk.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's that villain Tony fights in Iron Man 2, Quiplash, they named a jackbox party pack game after him

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I enjoyed Wonder Woman but I left the theater thinking a lot of the praise was over-the-top for what the movie actually was. The first act was pretty plodding, and the ending was just a giant CGI fight between two super humans while someone else went and re-enacted the end of Captain America But In World War I.

Like I said, I enjoyed it, but after I was wondering how much of the praise came from the one-two punch that it was the first major female superhero movie and was also the first and so far only DC movie that wasn’t loving terrible.

That guy’s weird urine mention makes no loving sense to me though.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That guy’s weird urine mention makes no loving sense to me though.

It's a reference to Batman v. Superman. Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor gives a Jar of Urine to someone as a reference to something said earlier in the film.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

teagone posted:

Being a verified account means nothing these days. Those creepy kids video accounts get verified.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

..while someone else went and re-enacted the end of Captain America But In World War I.

Except this time Steve fucks it up and dies. Everybody knows you can't preserve yourself in fire ya dumbass white boy, how you gonna come back now?!

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 27, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

while someone else went and re-enacted the end of Captain America But In World War I.

A actor named Chris playing a guy named Steve.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

mycot posted:

Being a verified account means nothing these days. Those creepy kids video accounts get verified.

They're called Let's Play

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The quip thing doesn't bother me because it's a consistent part of the universe. It's a lighter and more friendly narrative. It only bothers me in something like Justice League where Superman develops it out of nowhere.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I thought it was Starboy's last name. Peter Quip of Terra.

Now hoping that they license "Starboy" by Weeknd in the new Guardians.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Peter coming to Earth in Infinity War does mean he's going to be introduced to 3 decades of new music.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Aphrodite posted:

Peter coming to Earth in Infinity War does mean he's going to be introduced to 3 decades of new music.

He already was with his new zune

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Okay 1 decade since the Zune was discontinued then.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

star lord meets dubstep

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

Okay 1 decade since the Zune was discontinued then.

Nice

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

twistedmentat posted:

A actor named Chris playing a guy named Steve.

They're completely different

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTloBRNksOc

(Sorry for the spanish subs, that's literally the only copy I could find after some rigorous googling)

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Samuringa posted:

They're completely different

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTloBRNksOc

(Sorry for the spanish subs, that's literally the only copy I could find after some rigorous googling)

Here's the official: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGurtL83zhY&t=110s

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

good day for a bris posted:

It's a reference to Batman v. Superman. Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor gives a Jar of Urine to someone as a reference to something said earlier in the film.

It's either that or a reference to the Trump piss tape, either being possible assuming the Kupperman in the tweet is the Tales Designed to Thrizzle guy.

Not sure why his opinion on a movie is relevant for posting. Maybe lurdiak could share what his intended outcome of that post was.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

No, it's not either that or a reference to the Trump piss tape, it's that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If Runaways is in the MCU, that means Hillary ran for president and lost, but which President named after a Marvel writer is the Trump analog?

I vote President Bendis.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Is my sense of recent events warped, because I thought the Trump piss thing was earlier this year.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

twistedmentat posted:

If Runaways is in the MCU, that means Hillary ran for president and lost, but which President named after a Marvel writer is the Trump analog?

I vote President Bendis.

I know I'm pretty outspoken on bendis having some issues but that seems unnecessarily harsh

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

twistedmentat posted:

I vote President Bendis.

We already knew Nazis infiltrated the MCU US government so Hillary losing was a given.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 27, 2017

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

SonicRulez posted:

The quip thing doesn't bother me because it's a consistent part of the universe. It's a lighter and more friendly narrative. It only bothers me in something like Justice League where Superman develops it out of nowhere.

The quip is also a mainstay of comic books in general. It's Spider-Man's main superpower - but even the hulk usually slips in a couple of monosyllabic quips during a battle.

They should be quipping.

Goffer fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 27, 2017

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Not available in my country but thanks for contributing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Saying Guardians 2 was "afraid of being sincere" because it has quips is one of the dumbest takes I've seen since the last dumb take I saw.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Saying Guardians 2 was "afraid of being sincere" because it has quips is one of the dumbest takes I've seen since the last dumb take I saw.

Yeah, the Yondu relationship between the other ravagers, Quill, and even Rocket is sincere as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about Ready Player One. It's like Neal Stephenson if Neal Stephenson had been kicked in the head as a young child. It's like a little boy raised by a single mother who desperately believes a famous celebrity is his absent father, only the celebrity in question is Pac-Man. It is the eating lead paint chips of books.

I'm two hours into the book so far, because i have to stop every fifteen minutes or so to process my disbelief.

Kai Tave posted:

Not gonna lie; I teared up a little when Mary Poppins died.

• Locked thread