Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Cloverfield bitch

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Cloverfield bitch

I think he means something like Grave of the Fireflies, except with Godzilla.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
What the hell is there even to spoil about Star Wars? The fact that the white stuff is salt?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’m late for tax chat but I have an Accountant I retain. Last two years saw me get 8000 and 6000 back. I doubt this year will be as good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
My Facebook memories brought up my list of best movies of 2016 and it reminded me, did anyone else actually bother watching Antibirth? Because that movie ruled.

Also the holidays are like the worst time for my Facebook memories considering I was robbed the day before Thanksgiving and my childhood cat died on Christmas, so every year my facebook memories cheerfully dig that poo poo up.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Pacific Rim is a post-kaiju invasion movie, though it's not post-apocalyptic.

If you read comics, then Godzilla: The Half-Century War might fit the bill.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Oh yeah, Nausicaa is also post-kaiju-apocalypse.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
the Kaiju stuff in Pacific Rim is so badly shot that it might as well not be there at all, so I guess that sort of counts.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

glam rock hamhock posted:

My Facebook memories brought up my list of best movies of 2016 and it reminded me, did anyone else actually bother watching Antibirth? Because that movie ruled.

Hell yeah, my girlfriend and I watched it in October, and I really dug it. The director didn’t quite get how to film conversations, the composition and editing of those scenes was wonky, but it was pretty wild and I really liked the lead actress.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
rewatching Blade Runner 2049 and yeah i'm pretty sure this is the most gorgeous movie i've ever watched

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Hell yeah, my girlfriend and I watched it in October, and I really dug it. The director didn’t quite get how to film conversations, the composition and editing of those scenes was wonky, but it was pretty wild and I really liked the lead actress.

It's a movie I'm surprised didn't catch on around here because it's just such a purely trashy film.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

X-Ray Pecs posted:

In fact, here are my thoughts on it from the October Challenge thread

quote:

This one's weird as heck. Blending the nightmarish terror of a child you're not sure you're ready for from Eraserhead, the goopy special effects from Society, and the paranoid lower classes of Repo Man, this film's a unique blend of weirdness. Although you can tell where the director pulls his elements from, it nevertheless feels like a fresh voice, and he makes it his own. As Lou discovers the origin of her pregnancy, the movie ramps up the weirdness and the grossness of the special effects; she pukes, pus leaks from a foot wound, a man's corpse is completely rotted, this film doesn't shy away from ugly things, including the dingy neon lighting and dirty locales. The mystery behind the pregnancy is not rape, but the film leaves this open as a possibility for awhile; it also makes statements about Lou's body and how higher-ups seek to control her body for their own purposes. The film makes a strong stand for the bodily autonomy of women, especially poor women who are marginalized and left out of society. You can tell at some points that it's the director's first attempt at a feature-length movie;the editing in dialogue scenes lacks rhythm, and a lot of the lighting and cinematography fall flat, but it's still a bold, interesting, unique movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Oh yeah, Nausicaa is also post-kaiju-apocalypse.

Nausicaä is so loving good

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

My big problem with Alien: Covenant is that they kill the alien the same way they kill it in every alien movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

glam rock hamhock posted:

It's a movie I'm surprised didn't catch on around here because it's just such a purely trashy film.

Yeah, it’s gross and trashy as gently caress, it’s part Cronenberg, part Screamin Mad George, part Repo Man, but even more gleefully weird and trashy than any of those.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Budgie Jumping posted:

What the hell is there even to spoil about Star Wars? The fact that the white stuff is salt?

Luke chugs cum

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

It’s milk man.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

That part ruled

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Lord and Miller were right.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bushisms.txt posted:

Lord and Miller were right.

Isn't it funny how they aren't showing jack poo poo from Solo?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
As someone with aggressively mediocre and middlebrow movie reading skills I live for insanely stupid hot takes because it makes me feel smarter.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Davros1 posted:

My big problem with Alien: Covenant is that they kill the alien the same way they kill it in every alien movie.

Should have nuked it from orbit. Just to make sure.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Should have nuked it from orbit. Just to make sure.

Would've been original

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Been done.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

rewatching Blade Runner 2049 and yeah i'm pretty sure this is the most gorgeous movie i've ever watched

The effects work really is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD4vtVpq8FM

Although I wonder how much that reel is going to doom Deakins to forever being a bridesmaid, never the bride.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Isn't it funny how they aren't showing jack poo poo from Solo?

Literally five months from release and we haven't even seen a promo poster.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Timby posted:

*screams desperately* We've seen the logo!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm just going to assume they're pushing it to December.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I think he means something like Grave of the Fireflies, except with Godzilla.

I did but Cloverfield is still a good suggestion.

I know talking about the forums irl is lame but I've explained Mr. Bibs to multiple people and they all think he's ridiculous. Like not even movie people. It rules.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Im sad i didnt get my moviepass in time to see Bladerunner 2049, but atleast ill be able to see Fishman Fucks

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gillman: The Fuckening

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

Nothing whatsoever. Very reminiscent of JL's advertising, actually.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm just going to assume they're pushing it to December.

I don't know, they've got Mary Poppins and their co-produced animated Spider-Man movie as their big December releases, along with Wreck-It Ralph 2 at the end of November, I'm not sure they have a slot for it. I imagine they're also really banking on it for their Q2 financials.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Timby posted:

I don't know, they've got Mary Poppins and their co-produced animated Spider-Man movie as their big December releases, along with Wreck-It Ralph 2 at the end of November, I'm not sure they have a slot for it. I imagine they're also really banking on it for their Q2 financials.

Isn’t it coming out right after Avengers 3 though? There’s got to be a pretty significant overlap in the audiences for those two movies.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I've been thinking about the debate in the Comic Book Movie megathread a lot recently, how it's important to temper excitement about representation with the understanding that that representation still exists within a highly flawed industry that concentrates wealth and power in the hands of a tiny and disproportionately white male set of executives. How that industry selectively promotes specific movies as milestones of progressivism while furtively rolling back representation in other areas and refusing to learn lessons that have been obvious for a long time. How the whole idea of excitement over female and PoC audiences becoming as profitable as white male ones is a very dicey one that still places the terms of success entirely in the hands of a capitalist system run by venal fuckups. And how, despite all of that, representation on both the performing and creative side can still be a powerful thing if done right, and represents a tentative first step in a larger process of disentangling the work of filmmaking from entrenched structures of capital

Except when the representation is me having a dream where I was an actress who had one scene in an upcoming sequel to Spider-Man: Homecoming where I met Peter Parker during a low point in his story and gave him some helpful advice and flirted with him a little: that representation is pure and good and powerful and left me feeling profoundly affirmed and beloved when I woke up. Hollywood will be a broken system until the exact moment when it lets me flirt with Spider-Man. Let Jenny flirt with Spider-Man already, you jackals

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

married but discreet posted:

As someone with aggressively mediocre and middlebrow movie reading skills I live for insanely stupid hot takes because it makes me feel smarter.

https://twitter.com/G2Institute

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Jenny Angel posted:

I've been thinking about the debate in the Comic Book Movie megathread a lot recently, how it's important to temper excitement about representation with the understanding that that representation still exists within a highly flawed industry that concentrates wealth and power in the hands of a tiny and disproportionately white male set of executives. How that industry selectively promotes specific movies as milestones of progressivism while furtively rolling back representation in other areas and refusing to learn lessons that have been obvious for a long time. How the whole idea of excitement over female and PoC audiences becoming as profitable as white male ones is a very dicey one that still places the terms of success entirely in the hands of a capitalist system run by venal fuckups. And how, despite all of that, representation on both the performing and creative side can still be a powerful thing if done right, and represents a tentative first step in a larger process of disentangling the work of filmmaking from entrenched structures of capital

Except when the representation is me having a dream where I was an actress who had one scene in an upcoming sequel to Spider-Man: Homecoming where I met Peter Parker during a low point in his story and gave him some helpful advice and flirted with him a little: that representation is pure and good and powerful and left me feeling profoundly affirmed and beloved when I woke up. Hollywood will be a broken system until the exact moment when it lets me flirt with Spider-Man. Let Jenny flirt with Spider-Man already, you jackals

This is why youre so beloved

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MisterBibs posted:

Shaun of The Dead has the trifecta of characters with actual growth and development, characters you're just excitedly waiting to get eaten, and memorable zombies.

there are no zombies in Shaun of the Dead

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

there are no zombies in Shaun of the Dead

You're gonna have to work me through this one. Like, I understand that some people really bought into the "They look like monsters to you?" line from a character in Silent Hill 3, and I totally get the levels of affectation required for a "Man Are The True Monsters In This Movie Literally About Flesh Eating Monsters", but I'm at a loss to understand the whole no-zombies reading.

Like, c'mon, Shaun shoots one of them in the face near the end of the movie.

vvvv I'd encourage you to rewatch the movie, they are zombies, are referred to as such, Shaun just thinks it's ridiculous to say the word out loud. Folks who die, wake up, and start eating people are zombies. It's amazing what sort of twists and turns some folks make on basic truths to disagree with me, but man, that one is pretty out there.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 27, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the word "zombie" is never actually used, and in fact is explicitly nixed. they're just people who die and get back up and eat people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the word "zombie" is never actually used, and in fact is explicitly nixed. they're just people who die and get back up and eat people.

lol shut up. I’m on team Bibs w this one.

• Locked thread