Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Nill posted:

I have the basics covered (partition 4k aligned, TRIM working, etc.) but should page files still be offloaded to spinning discs? Indexer & sys restore disabled?

I never understood most of the tweaks recommended. Maybe back when SSDs maxed at 32GB, because they were awful back then (something like a simple install of Windows XP would throw errors, because the SSDs couldn't take so many small writes so quickly).

Yeah, try to 4K align your drive. Linux, macOS, and Vista SP2 and newer already does this, so it's probably only something you have to worry about with older operating systems (original Vista release, XP, Win 2000, 9x, etc.).

Other than that, you want all the heavy-writing and abusive poo poo pounding away on the SSD. That's what it's there for. Installing a new SSD and then disabling performance-enhancements and putting all your stuff on an old spinner sorta defeats some of the purpose of upgrading to an SSD.

I work with crazy-insane old hardware and operating systems. Lots of Windows 2000 and Windows XP boxes, and even stuff like OS/2 Warp, Windows 95, and Windows NT 4.0. I will 4K-align the OS partition on the SSD and that's it. Average work-load on these systems will take 20-50 years before the SSD suffers any write-exhaustion.
Older operating systems didn't need a bunch of "tweaks", and newer ones certainly don't, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Yeah, that's what I gathered. Probably the only thing that still confuses me is the esoteric interactions between physical/logical sectors, clusters, and NAND page sizes. (512e vs 4k vs new drives with 8k pages, etc.)

When a chip's 8k page is reporting 4k clusters with emulated 512 byte "physical" sectors to the os, does anything really matter?

ie: If my new drive was cloned from a 512 byte file system is converting the partition to 4k sectors a hoop worth jumping through when the 512 byte sectors are already aligned properly?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
All the modern cloning software does this.. I think you can just clone away and use the thing.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, sorry if not. I've flicked back a few pages and checked the OP but didn't see anything. What's the best method for cloning an SSD? My son's run out of room on his 250 so I've got a new 500 and I'd really prefer not to reinstall all of his poo poo if possible.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Digital Jesus posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, sorry if not. I've flicked back a few pages and checked the OP but didn't see anything. What's the best method for cloning an SSD? My son's run out of room on his 250 so I've got a new 500 and I'd really prefer not to reinstall all of his poo poo if possible.

Which brand is it?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Both drives are Samsung 850 EVOs.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Digital Jesus posted:

Both drives are Samsung 850 EVOs.

Samsung has a migration tool that should do the trick. http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/SW/201710/20171030115320828/Samsung_Data_Migration_Setup.exe

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12165/the-crucial-mx500-1tb-ssd-review/4

Finally a non Samsung SATA SSD that doesn't suck in a while.

Oh, and there's one more tidbit to share: https://www.usenix.org/conference/fast16/technical-sessions/presentation/schroeder

quote:

We see no evidence that higher-end SLC drives are more reliable than MLC drives within typical drive lifetimes...over 6 years of production use in Google’s data centers

Palladium fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 20, 2017

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Well poo poo. I didn't think to look for a simple obvious solution. Thanks man!

E: that worked perfectly and took no time, thanks again.

Digital Jesus fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 20, 2017

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Is OP still up to date on recommended models? Probably gonna grab a Samsung 850 pro as a second drive for my laptop.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Armacham posted:

Is OP still up to date on recommended models? Probably gonna grab a Samsung 850 pro as a second drive for my laptop.

It's missing WD Blue as a recommendation, but otherwise yes.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That new Crucial MX500 seems quite good now too, on par with Samsung 850s, barring any issues that might come up because it's a brand new drive.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I thought there have been plenty of faster SSDs, but they’re nowhere near Samsung’s longevity/speed price ratio yet. That’s why Samsung’s are always recommended over other brands.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Yep, I perused the current market but quickly decided on Samsung for those exact reasons. Didn't hurt that the local Microcenter had them on sale either so I was able to pick one up and clone my dying drive the same day.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

nielsm posted:

It's missing WD Blue as a recommendation, but otherwise yes.

No it isn't, the x400 is listed :tipshat:

Updated

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

kloa posted:

I thought there have been plenty of faster SSDs, but they’re nowhere near Samsung’s longevity/speed price ratio yet. That’s why Samsung’s are always recommended over other brands.

Samsung was so dominant before the MX500 because the reputable brands like Crucial are only slightly cheaper but also slower than the Evo lineup, and nobody really cares about the unreputable ones like Adata and Kingston.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

NewEgg has the 500GB Samsung EVO for $129 right now

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I have a Samsung 850, bracket, and SATA cable on the way to me from amazon and will be here tomorrow. I basically want to just install games to this to help them run better and wasn't planning on moving my Windows install to it. After putting it in my tower physically, is there anything I need to particularly do? How easy is it to move Windows over to the SSD and is it worth it? I have a 1TB HDD already in the system.

I am relatively dumb with computer things (what's a bios?) and just don't want to gently caress up my system. :/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Install everything on the SSD
Use macrium reflect to image the old drive to the new one

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Installing the games to it is the least helpful way to go. Clone your OS to the SSD with Macrium or the Samsung migration tool. It will help games load a bit faster but that is a secondary consideration.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
The HDD is only 250GB and I obviously can't move everything. OS should be moved first and then other applications?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Is the SSD significantly larger than your current used space on the HDD? If yes, just use Samsung's migration tool to clone the HDD to the SSD, take out the HDD, and enjoy a much faster computer.
If you can't comfortably fit your current install on the SSD, consider if you could offload some data (documents, photos, music, video) to external media and make a direct migration possible that way.

Otherwise, yes you could have it as secondary storage in the computer, but you aren't going to get the full advantage if you don't run your OS from the SSD. If you just want to use it as secondary storage, then after physically installing it, hooking it up with SATA data and power cables, boot up Windows, and open the Disk Management console. If you're on Windows 8 or 10, the easiest way is to right-click the Start button and pick it from there. You should see the empty, unpartitioned disk there. It should be easy enough to figure out how to create and format a partition for the full disk space from there.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I'm a dumb dumb and didn't even think of moving videos/pictures etc to external storage. So if I do a direct migration, what happens to the HDD? Do I just have it available as a different storage device?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

After cloning the entire HDD to the SSD, you have two (initially) identical system drives. The first thing to do is disconnect the HDD and test if you can boot from the SSD, and everything works as it should. If it does, and things are stable, the HDD can either work as a backup (if you put it somewhere safe), or you can format it and use as extra storage.
If the system can't boot from the SSD after cloning, you can just hook the HDD back up and be back to where you started.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

nielsm posted:

After cloning the entire HDD to the SSD, you have two (initially) identical system drives. The first thing to do is disconnect the HDD and test if you can boot from the SSD, and everything works as it should. If it does, and things are stable, the HDD can either work as a backup (if you put it somewhere safe), or you can format it and use as extra storage.
If the system can't boot from the SSD after cloning, you can just hook the HDD back up and be back to where you started.

Yeah, I usually run a Disk Clean up wizzard on the SSD after booting. Also generally delete and re-create a system restore point. For some reason sometimes cloning causes the system restore to think the main HD is gone and it wont automatically turn it back on. Worth checking.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
Is a WD Black PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe a good SSD choice or should I stick with Samsung 960 EVO?
[e] https://www.wdc.com/products/internal-ssd/wd-black-pcie-ssd.html#WDS512G1X0C

Boozie fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 27, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Boozie posted:

Is a WD Black PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe a good SSD choice or should I stick with Samsung 960 EVO?
[e] https://www.wdc.com/products/internal-ssd/wd-black-pcie-ssd.html#WDS512G1X0C

I believe the black and blue use SanDisk x400 technology which is a good ssd as far as testing has shown.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SlayVus posted:

I believe the black and blue use SanDisk x400 technology which is a good ssd as far as testing has shown.

I don't think the NVMe versions have anything to do with the x400.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Boozie posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1919?vs=1978

(AT doesnt have the 500gb 960 Evo, you can change it to the much slower 250gb 960 Evo and the results are pretty similar)

Price seems to be about $50 different, but Newegg has a $10 code going so the difference is down to $40.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013

Cygni posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1919?vs=1978

(AT doesnt have the 500gb 960 Evo, you can change it to the much slower 250gb 960 Evo and the results are pretty similar)

Price seems to be about $50 different, but Newegg has a $10 code going so the difference is down to $40.

Have access to 20% off WD drives.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The WD Black carries a five year warranty to the 960 EVO's three. It comes down to whether two years of extra coverage is worth more than a noticeable - 3200/1800 (EVO) vs. 2050/800 (WD Black) - loss in performance at the 500/512GB SKUs. The EVO also performs way better in terms of IOPS performance (330K R/W 4K/QD32 on the EVO to 170/130K on the Black).

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 28, 2017

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
If you ask me the real world differences between those two NVMe drives will be zero in like 99% of workloads.

But then again I'm speaking as a SATA3 peasant.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've been seeing these crop up lately and have no idea 1) how to install them and 2) what their advantage over a normal SATA SSD is.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Q8ee posted:

I've been seeing these crop up lately and have no idea 1) how to install them and 2) what their advantage over a normal SATA SSD is.

They install in the M.2 slot many newer motherboards and laptops have.
The advantage of NVMe SSDs are 5x-10x faster read/write speeds than SATA is capable of, and capable of serving many more requests per second. Overall just much faster.

Didn't some people report than Windows' disk caching made NVMe access slower than with cache disabled?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Q8ee posted:

They're faster, on paper, provided your MOBO chipset supports the 4 channels on the M2 slot. SATA 3 (6Gb/s) is limited to 600MB/s, with real-world somewhere around the mid 500s. Whereas that drive claims "up to 2,800MB/sec read & up to 600MB/sec write".

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
ahahaha holy poo poo this is so much faster. windows booted up in like, 8 seconds.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it's fucken off the chain

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Capsaicin posted:

ahahaha holy poo poo this is so much faster. windows booted up in like, 8 seconds.

you'll go from barely ever turning your PC off, to always turning it off. I like to blow my friend's mind by saying I gotta restart quick, and I'm back in like 10 seconds.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have a pretty old computer, like 7 years old, with an Intel 80GB SSD as primary. Looking to upgrade the drive, but do I need to worry about the motherboard not supporting the SATA III protocol? It's this motherboard, which talks about eSATA, but nothing else: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002N2Z0JY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

baquerd posted:

I have a pretty old computer, like 7 years old, with an Intel 80GB SSD as primary. Looking to upgrade the drive, but do I need to worry about the motherboard not supporting the SATA III protocol? It's this motherboard, which talks about eSATA, but nothing else: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002N2Z0JY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SATA III drives are backwards compatible, they'll just operate ~300/300MB/sec.