Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Merry Christmas, you goddamn nerds.

merry chrysler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My FLGS owner might be the dumbest mother fucker on the planet. I have no idea how this mother fucker's been in business still after four years.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Star Man posted:

My FLGS owner might be the dumbest mother fucker on the planet. I have no idea how this mother fucker's been in business still after four years.
This is the opening to a story, but it could really do with a body and conclusion.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Star Man posted:

I’m guessing he’s one of those owners who clearly only set up the store as an excuse to get paid for playing games with his buddies all day?

(Much in the way that most lovely dive bars exist because the owner though “owning a bar” meant “my buddies and I drink free forever”)

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
So Steve Jackson Games is re-releasing The Fantasy Trip again?

I’m asking only because a lot of elfgame nerds seem real excited about it and I have no idea what it is. Anyone play it?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Simian_Prime posted:

So Steve Jackson Games is re-releasing The Fantasy Trip again?

I’m asking only because a lot of elfgame nerds seem real excited about it and I have no idea what it is. Anyone play it?

It's proto-GURPS, and can basically only be a nostalgia/one-off curiosity thing because otherwise who cares. It sounds like they literally just got the rights, so it's probably a fair way off from release even if it's just going to be straight reprints.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, the big deal is mainly just SJ getting the rights, but that probably just means a reprint at some point. It's mainly of interest to RPG historians and OSR folks, and I wouldn't expect too much out of it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Star Man posted:

It's likely that it's because his customers are dumber mother fuckers than him.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I just found out the dude who directed Bone Tomahawk and Brawl on Cell Block 99 is a board gamer who loves getter robo due to his amazon reviews and now I want a board game about ripping off peoples face offs in prison

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Having this overpowering urge to find a game to play a really cool archer in

I feel like archers get a bad wrap in tabletop games

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Blockhouse posted:

They do, but that´s mostly because trpg-nerds are bad at bows. And also because we have totally distorted images of archers. It´s not like the people being best at bowyering were lanky mofos, but the buff military people who could pull back an 80-pound-bow to survive the storm of frenchman in mail and plate running at them at 300 paces distance.

And still, most rpgs connect archery to "dexterity".

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Yawgmoth posted:

This is the opening to a story, but it could really do with a body and conclusion.

Plutonis posted:

It's likely that it's because his customers are dumber mother fuckers than him.

I don't even know where to begin is the problem.

The most recent thing is that I ordered a couple of bottles of Vallejo model paint from him. His shipment either never got sent or went to the wrong person. If the story had ended there, I would have just presumed that it was a gently caress up from their distributor and chaos from the holiday. Oh god no, it's never just that simple. It seems that in my little town in central Wyoming had a comic shop just now opened up and the guy who runs that also runs the two movie theatres here and the one in the next town over and doesn't like my FLGS owner. Seems that the FLGS owner's stuff got sent there and the movie theatre guy who uses the same distributor said that the other store doesn't exist anymore or some loving thing. I guess they don't like each other or something and it's nothing but dumb rear end small town small business politics.

My FLGS owner is some kind of magical unicorn where he has some kind of issue specific to him, knows information that I can't seem to verify by looking myself, or he misremembers things so badly that I have to spend fifteen minutes correcting him.

Supposedly the real reason that Christine Sprankle got out of Magic cosplay and shut all of her Patreon and public social media accounts down was because of a dispute with Wizards no longer paying her to make appearances and not because of harassment. I asked for a source on that because I didn't hear such a thing in the first place and presumed that any money she got was either through her Patreon or tournament organizers and that Wizards doesn't provide dick all to grand prix except for prize money for the main event and some staff. I couldn't find that information myself and the store owner's source is a YouTube video, but gently caress if I'm going to go swimming in that sewer to find it and debunk it.

Takes idiots like Alpha Investments way too loving seriously, won't call someone that's come out as MTF trans by their new name or gender (and she no longer comes and he and her ex girlfriend from before she came out thinks it's all just a bunch of drama), place is always this big loving mess of a store, and just...ugh. I already quit playing Standard there because I just don't like the format anymore but it's like pulling teeth to get people to play Modern just once a month. I for some reason go there bi-weekly to play Pokémon but I'm also over other patrons making cracks like "oh look, it's the tranny fish" when they see a Bruxish. I've been told to shut the gently caress up by another patron over the fact that calling someone a neonazi is just as bad as these women calling people misogynists because any name calling of any kind is bad (Geek Falacy numero uno).

I really don't know why I continue to spend any money or time at this place. It's probably because there's nothing else to do in this town and all of my friends here are married and have children so it's hard enough to ever see them as it is since I had to move back home to Wyoming in February after my dad died and my cheap place to live in Denver got sold right after I finished my undergrad, so I had no money to find another place to live in town. And yet it's somehow still not one of the worst places I have played card games in.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mr.Misfit posted:

They do, but that´s mostly because trpg-nerds are bad at bows. And also because we have totally distorted images of archers. It´s not like the people being best at bowyering were lanky mofos, but the buff military people who could pull back an 80-pound-bow to survive the storm of frenchman in mail and plate running at them at 300 paces distance.

And still, most rpgs connect archery to "dexterity".

It's not that complicated. Legolas is sexy and nobody cares about the Welsh.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mr.Misfit posted:

Yeah I read Bernard Cornwell books too

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't really care about the realism of archery (though it is cool) I just want to be an acrobatic flippy arrow shooty guy

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

I don't really care about the realism of archery (though it is cool) I just want to be an acrobatic flippy arrow shooty guy

Play FFD6 where Rangers have an ability that lets them shoot every enemy at the same time or do four attacks that deal half damage in one turn or Exalted where you can shoot an arrow on the sky and have it fall as a giant fireball of death the next turn

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It should be mandatory that any designer making a game with archery rules at least watches the rediscovering lost archery video where the guy shows off a lot of rapid fire shortbow tricks.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

Spellbound Kingdoms has a pretty cool archery combat style, and doesn't make you pour everything into it to be good at it.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Isn't that video actually super fake?

Star Man posted:

Effortpost about hell.

Are ther others who feel the same way? Could you build a market out of said others?

I normally would pay more for a LGS, but in this case I think Amazon and a good pub or bar sounds like a good solution.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's not that complicated. Legolas is sexy and nobody cares about the Welsh.

still a bit odd that people convinced themselves that legolas shouldn't be strong though

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Moriatti posted:

Are ther others who feel the same way? Could you build a market out of said others?

I normally would pay more for a LGS, but in this case I think Amazon and a good pub or bar sounds like a good solution.

I live in a town of ten thousand people in a state that lost one percent of its population last year because the price of coal tanked. The Magic crowd here is pretty small and most people into board games buy online or buy at the store in town and take that kind of thing home. The bar scene in town is also not young anymore. It wouldn't be so bad if I lived in a place like Casper or Cheyenne where if I don't like one store I can at least try a different one. I've flirted with the idea of seeing if I could convince a bar to have trivia or something but I have a feeling they'd tell me that's all on me and I don't have the money nor the equipment to get that started.

Obviously I just need to leave, but a humanities degree is not the kind of education where you can just get a job that'll pay to move you out to wherever it is. I'm about to start a masters program to get a teaching license in February and when I am done with that, I am getting the gently caress out of town and hopefully for longer than four years this time.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

still a bit odd that people convinced themselves that legolas shouldn't be strong though

Legolas is described as lithe and able to walk on top of snowbanks, and people take not being huge to be the same as not being strong.

Later in the same paragraph it's mentioned that he can draw a heavy enough bow to down Nazgul, and also that he never gets tired. Maybe people don't know how hard shooting a bow is?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Moriatti posted:

Isn't that video actually super fake?

He used some practical tricks like using an arrow designed to fly slower for the hitting an arrow out of the air trick, and a lot of the stunts took dozen of attempts, but being able to shoot a small bow multiple times in quick succession is legitimate I think.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 27, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Zerilan posted:

He used some practical tricks like using an arrow designed to fly slower for the hitting an arrow out of the air trick, and a lot of the stunts took dozen of attempts, but being able to shoot a small bow multiple times in quick succession is legitimate.

One of the old quotes from the contemporaries of the English longbowmen was that they were considered bad shots if they couldn't hit 12 aimed shots a minute, each one hitting the mark. (This was my dad's "REALISM!" thing in AD&D 1E and 2E, where he upped the attack rates of specialized archers; possibly one of the very few times where a shout of realism wasn't a -nerf- for martials.)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The archery is legit, but the claims about the history of archery and "lost techniques" range from "misleading" to "malicious slander" and basically nothing he does would have any value in an actual combat scenario*:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teQ6UO9Go88

(Original here)

*Not that that's necessarily to dismiss them as an inspiration for cool RPG archery.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 27, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Insofar as ability scores serve any useful purpose at all, the point of tying archery to dexterity and not to strength is to manually enforce that someone who's great at long-range combat either shouldn't also be good at close range combat or should have to give up significant bonuses somewhere else in order to be good at both.

There are a variety of reasons this doesn't work out (the universality of ability scores tends to mean that everyone can "give up" one or two or three of them without actually giving up much of anything) but setting that aside, the idea of exclusitivity in the name of gameplay and making players more interdependent as a team is generally a good one.

Also I'm pretty sure at least one version of D&D had strength influence what kind of bows you could use and had bow damage scale with strength, whereas crossbows were purely driven by dexterity/accuracy. I think it was 2E AD&D.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Trick archery is as old as bows themselves. The dude probably got in too many internet grog arguments about archery that made him lose some perspective. Good on him for learning a neat skill and sharing videos of it though.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

2e let thrown weapons benefit from strength which made darts kinda ridiculous (4/round, so at 18 str you were hitting about 20 damage when things usually had a couple of d8 for hit dice.)

Pathfinder has strength rated bows which may be what you are thinking of?

And yeah, weapon specialization allowing ranged characters more often was something AD&D did really well and another reason to play 2e instead of 3.x.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Moriatti posted:

Pathfinder has strength rated bows which may be what you are thinking of?

All of 3.x does

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Weren't there bows in 3.X that let you add your Strength mod to damage?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Composite Bows yeah

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Even if a lot of it's tricks not suited for combat, that a firing speed like that is possible at all should be kept in mind when making fantasy poo poo that includes archery, considering D&D and related poo poo's tendency to make martial characters that are supposed to be fantasy heroes less capable than what regular people can actually do.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The real tragedy is that while there is actually a lot of systems that let you be a cool longbowman or even a crossbowman on foot there are few ones that let you be the true terror of the battlefield: The Steppe Horse Archer

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Speaking of crossbows, aren't they garbage in PF and 100% inferior to normal bows, with the devs saying that it was an intentional trap option?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

WrightOfWay posted:

Weren't there bows in 3.X that let you add your Strength mod to damage?
Yeah all bows have a strength rating that adds to damage, but you have to have at least that strength mod to properly fire it. If you don't have at least that much, you take (iirc) a -2 to hit. So if you have a 16 str you can shoot a bow with a +3 str rating and do +3 damage, but if you get hit with some effect that gives you a -4 str you'll only be getting +1 damage and you'll take a -2 to hit since you're now under the minimum str rating.

Zerilan posted:

Speaking of crossbows, aren't they garbage in PF and 100% inferior to normal bows, with the devs saying that it was an intentional trap option?
Crossbows are indeed crap since they take like 3 rounds to reload and don't get any bonus to damage. Wouldn't surprise me if they were designed to be a trap option, those fuckers love trap options and loving over non-casters and hating anything that looks like a gun.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Moriatti posted:

What's a good PVP game, either an "RPG" focused on PVP or a board game that lets you have a high degree of customization over your chracters?
Coming back to this to say Sorcerer's a recently kickstarted game by white wizard games that fits this description. I don't know if it's any good but they made star realms, which I like.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Yawgmoth posted:

Crossbows are indeed crap since they take like 3 rounds to reload and don't get any bonus to damage. Wouldn't surprise me if they were designed to be a trap option, those fuckers love trap options and loving over non-casters and hating anything that looks like a gun.
Crossbows in PF were also key to the crappiest trap feat ever printed (the infamous "Prone Shooter")

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plutonis posted:

The real tragedy is that while there is actually a lot of systems that let you be a cool longbowman or even a crossbowman on foot there are few ones that let you be the true terror of the battlefield: The Steppe Horse Archer
It's like ashes in my mouth to give 5e credit for anything, but a mounted archer in 5e has pretty good mobility and evasion without penalty or character investment.

Of course, playing an archer on a horse means you're not playing a wizard on a horse, and being on a horse is incompatible with being in a dungeon, but if you were playing Steppes Sans Sorcerers it would be pleasantly functional!

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Splicer posted:

[...]but if you were playing Steppes Sans Sorcerers it would be pleasantly functional!

So...Harnmaster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

FMguru posted:

Crossbows in PF were also key to the crappiest trap feat ever printed (the infamous "Prone Shooter")
Is that one of the "does nothing" feats or one of the "actively makes you worse at the thing it's supposed to enhance" feats?

• Locked thread