Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I mean, there was luke's x-wing. He had r2-d2. It didn't have to be a stupid hologram of him.

poo poo. So dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Did Rey really have good intentions when she wanted to save Kylo? She basically spat in Kylo's face when they first had a connection and repeatedly called him a horrible monster. She only started latching on to the idea of turning him to save everyone when it became crystal clear that Luke wasn't interested in riding in to save the day so she needed to come up with a backup from somewhere.

Basically I just get the sense that she was less interested in saving Kylo for Kylo's sake and more in using him as Luke Skywalker, The Legend 2.0.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is the second Star Wars without a lightsaber fight, right? Since Luke was a projection?

Dude throne room blitz?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Seriously, with everything that the end of RotJ and the prequels established about Luke, Anakin, and the failings of the Jedi, Luke just showing up half-way across the galaxy to have a lightsaber duel with Kylo would be pretty dumb and what they did was infinitely better than that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I'm curious about behind-the-scenes: what role does Disney play in the creation of the movie? Do they interfere with Lucasfilm a whole lot? Do Disney people regularly hand down executive decisions about what can and can't go in the scripts, for instance, or are they more hands-off about it? I remember reading with regards to Solo that Lord and Miller left over disagreements with Kathleen Kennedy, not Bob Iger (I mean, why would he even have time to micromanage one movie when he's running a multi-billion dollar company/for president?).

Like, I don't think I've ever seen anyone blame Disney for things going weird with Marvel movies; most people acknowledge that it's Marvel Studios who do most of it. Why does Disney get the blame for Star Wars things people don't like but not Marvel when Lucasfilm is the company that's producing these and Disney's role mainly seems to be marketing and distributing them?

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 27, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is the second Star Wars without a lightsaber fight, right? Since Luke was a projection?

Why are you keeping track/who cares

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mymla posted:

I kinda wish they'd actually tell us what the "dark side" is even supposed to be. I like how it works in the old republic video games (expanded universe in general? idk), where it's pretty much just allowing yourself to feel emotions as opposed to completely repressing them like Jedi do, but I don't really get the impression that's true in the films.

Maybe the it just means you think hitler was right.

Not... exactly? I always got the sense that being emotional was a path to the dark side but it's more than that. The dark side of the force is part of the force. Yang or whatever. I do wish they went into it more.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

I mean, there was luke's x-wing. He had r2-d2. It didn't have to be a stupid hologram of him.

poo poo. So dumb.

Uhh, he would have gotten splattered by a bunch of atats.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

poo poo. So dumb.

He had to be OR HE WOULD BE loving DEAD LITERALLY NOT HAVING ACCOMPLISHED WHAT HE NEEDED TO DO.

He didn’t find a way in, the people just thought he did. They paid attention then to the Ice Foxes or whatever to find Rey. It’s background Force at work helping them

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Which is the first?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'd say the fight with snoke's power rangers counts as a lightsaber fight.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TheKingofSprings posted:

They fight with lightsabers against those weird weapons, does that count?

Kanos posted:

Did Rey really have good intentions when she wanted to save Kylo? She basically spat in Kylo's face when they first had a connection and repeatedly called him a horrible monster. She only started latching on to the idea of turning him to save everyone when it became crystal clear that Luke wasn't interested in riding in to save the day so she needed to come up with a backup from somewhere.

Basically I just get the sense that she was less interested in saving Kylo for Kylo's sake and more in using him as Luke Skywalker, The Legend 2.0.

My takeaway was that she thought she could "heal" him - which is a whole can of worms but whatever - and she's constantly put into that "healer" position. By nature Rey is a lot quicker to forgive than Luke ever has, and when she sensed hesitation from Kylo she wanted to save him. I don't think it was self-serving.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Bip Roberts posted:

Which is the first?

Rogue One/those stupid ewok adventure movies

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Mymla posted:

I kinda wish they'd actually tell us what the "dark side" is even supposed to be. I like how it works in the old republic video games (expanded universe in general? idk), where it's pretty much just allowing yourself to feel emotions as opposed to completely repressing them like Jedi do, but I don't really get the impression that's true in the films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68dvgRT3Kx8

quote:

When you get selfish you get stuff, or you want stuff. And when you get stuff you're afraid people are going to take it away from you--whether it's a person or a thing or a particular pleasure. Once [you're afraid that you're going to lose it]...then you start to become angry. ...and that anger leads to hate, and that hate leads to suffering. Mostly on the part of the person who's being selfish. You spend all of your time being afraid of losing everything you've got.

...The pleasure factor of greed is a short lived experience.

...You're afraid of the pain of not having the joy.

Yoda essentially says this as well.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Rey and Ky Loren use their sabers to fight Snokes Praetorian Guard.

If you mean lasersword vs lasersword then ya, this is the second out of nine movies to not have them clash.

spacetoaster posted:

Just saw this thing.

It was a meh kind of movie until the robed skywalker walked into the base on the mineral planet. Then I was like: HOLY poo poo YES. Then when all the guys were shooting the poo poo out of the area where Luke was I was like: HA YOU FUKIN NOOBS THAT AINT GONNA TAKE HIM OUT. All the way through him brushing his shoulder off and dodging Kylo's attacks I was loving it.

Then the reveal that it was all some bullshit fake projection and luke disappears and dies on a rock across the galaxy.

gently caress disney. gently caress this movie.

PSSSST. ITS ALL FAKE BULLSHIT. NONE OF IT IS REAL.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mymla posted:

For a while, there wasn't even an explicit "light side" in the movies even though it was referred to a lot in comics and games and books and so on. It was always "the Force and its dark side" rather than "the light and dark sides of the Force". I believe Lucas's own attitude was that the Force isn't in balance at the end of ROTS (as people said it was) because now there were two Jedi and two Sith; his view, as far as I'm aware, was that the existence of the Sith was what caused the Force to become unbalanced, and that the Chosen One would bring balance (which it was the role of the Jedi to preserve) by destroying the Sith. Sure, Luke says in ROTJ that he believes he can turn Vader back "to the good side" but I don't think that necessarily suggests there's a light side of the Force.

I don't think "light side" showed up in movies until the trailer for TFA where Andy Serkis has that "there's been an awakening... the dark side... and the light" voiceover.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Not... exactly? I always got the sense that being emotional was a path to the dark side but it's more than that. The dark side of the force is part of the force. Yang or whatever. I do wish they went into it more.

My take is the lack of restraint or control. If you use your feelings as a justification of all your actions being okay that’s not a good thing and that’s the Sith succumbing to baser levels. Conversely if you’re a Jedi who restrains your feelings to just use rational thought you are denying your humanity and as extension can be up your own rear end where you need to be human and help out. Luke had compassion and his victories are not through use of violence and he ends up owning his mistakes.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

At this point it's hard to say Yoda is right. This film pushes hard towards the idea that the Force wants balance in all things. If the Sith win, a Jedi rises, and vice versa. I'd therefore argue that both sides are equally strong and necessary aspects of the universe. Both sides of the Force wax and wane in strength but things always equal out.

The sequels are ideologically suspect because they resist the idea of the perfectibility of man, a common liberal trope.

As you've said, they took the idea of the "balance" seriously, with the light and dark sides being literal metaphysical flavors of the Force, such that Star Wars will never end, there will always be a good to rise up against the bad and vice versa. The view of the Jedi in the prequels - that the dark side is a cancer on the force, caused by those with malicious intent, fear, hatred and greed in their heart - is broadly correct, but the Jedi fail to realize that the Republic and they themselves are part of it.

Bringing balance to the Force means redeeming the Sith through love and compassion, not destroying them through violence.

KaptainKrunk fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 27, 2017

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Kanos posted:

I don't think this is entirely it, but it's something I didn't fully pick up on until the second time is that her and Luke have their big fight and then she whips out the Lightsaber and then he falls back onto the stairs. She then offers the saber to him again and he turns away, and as she's walking off she says something about how it'll have to be Kylo, then.

She thought she could turn him. I mean her turning up in the pod and getting cuffed is probably the most blatant OT callback of the whole movie, it's set up and plays out almost exactly like Luke and Vader on Endor, with the "twist" being that this time, Vader executes the Emperor in the throne room with Luke's lightsaber and then the fight the Imperial Guards.

So with that in mind, Rey's intention is absolutely an attempt to salvage Kylo's soul, just as Luke's was in RotJ

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

this movie is bad at jokes

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

the last movie was too but the callbacks were worse in that one

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mymla posted:

I'd say the fight with snoke's power rangers counts as a lightsaber fight.

Dias posted:

They fight with lightsabers against those weird weapons, does that count?

My takeaway was that she thought she could "heal" him - which is a whole can of worms but whatever - and she's constantly put into that "healer" position. By nature Rey is a lot quicker to forgive than Luke ever has, and when she sensed hesitation from Kylo she wanted to save him. I don't think it was self-serving.

Saber vs Saber or it doesn't count :colbert:

Ammanas posted:

Why are you keeping track/who cares

Because I was curious/lightsaber fights are why I watch these movies

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

This didn't get enough love btw. I laughed.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

the plot felt all over the place too but it was the constant desire to insert humor into what felt like every scene for the first hour and half of the movie that grated on me the most
also gently caress that dumb "buy me" furby thing i wish chewie had squashed it

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

Like, I don't think I've ever seen anyone blame Disney for things going weird with Marvel movies; most people acknowledge that it's Marvel Studios who do most of it. Why does Disney get the blame for Star Wars things people don't like but not Marvel when Lucasfilm is the company that's producing these and Disney's role mainly seems to be marketing and distributing them?

People know the name disney more than the name lucasfilm?

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

movie got more interesting around the time luke and rey were fighting but they blew it imo

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

well thems my thoughts
will post more if i think of something
dont know why tho but i will

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

The throne room scene is more poorly choreographed than anything in the prequels.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

KaptainKrunk posted:

The throne room scene is more poorly choreographed than anything in the prequels.

The throne room scene felt more like a fight than anything in the prequels.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

KaptainKrunk posted:

It's dirtier, more clumsy, but in a way that I think makes it feel more genuine, like it's people really trying to hack each other up. I'd need to see it a second time to really make a final judgment though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Turdfuzz posted:

well thems my thoughts

Please don’t thanks

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Turdfuzz posted:

well thems my thoughts

You don't have to, really. :razz:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

KaptainKrunk posted:

I thought pretty much everything in the throne room was the best part of the movie honestly and it looked like that was where most of their effort was put in

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

I thought pretty much everything in the throne room was the best part of the movie honestly and it looked like that was where most of their effort was put in

i wish they joined forces

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Please don’t thanks

AndyElusive posted:

You don't have to, really. :razz:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

BardoTheConsumer posted:

The throne room scene felt more like a fight than anything in the prequels.

I liked a lot of it but there's a choreography move where Kylo has his saber sticking straight down and the red guy slashes directly at it instead of anywhere near Kylo

It'll be the gif of Luke kicking in RotJ and Obi-Wan/Anakin spinning behind their backs from RotS of this movie; it's pretty bad

On the whole it was cool tho. I love Adam Driver's physicality

Nothing in the whole series will be better than those laser walls that come up in TPM and Qui-Gon sits down to meditate and Darth Maul paces like a tiger in a cage and even sticks his lightsaber into a bit, and then when Obi-Wan starts pumping himself up, it's so good

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

It's dirtier, more clumsy, but in a way that I think makes it feel more genuine, like it's people really trying to hack each other up. I'd need to see it a second time to really make a final judgment though.

Nah. The prequel fights are clearly choreographed and don't try to hide it. They embrace it. The Kylo-Rey fight in TFA is a good example of a choreographed fight that manages to feel naturalistic and "real," for what it is. The Throne Room fight takes this halfway point between the prequels clear choreography, a raw fight, and a samurai-inspired standoff that feels really clunky.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the series is going to end with Rey killing Ren, then force ghosting, she has become the Last of the Jedi, and that's how it ends.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Waffles Inc. posted:

She thought she could turn him. I mean her turning up in the pod and getting cuffed is probably the most blatant OT callback of the whole movie, it's set up and plays out almost exactly like Luke and Vader on Endor, with the "twist" being that this time, Vader executes the Emperor in the throne room with Luke's lightsaber and then the fight the Imperial Guards.

It was also the ANH Wookiee Prisoner routine. It made it all the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mymla posted:

You're thinking of Kotor 2 . That version of the dark side is not so much about being an evil dick, it's that through the force you gain power, and by power you break the chains of fate and are truly free. The sith view themselves as nietzschean ubermench who are above good and evil, and do whatever they please, because who will stop them?

It's also the game which famously has the antagonist try to assassinate the force, because she views it as a cosmic puppetmaster that embroils the galaxy in wars on a galactic scale because of its obsession with "balance in the force" between self righteous jedi and selfish sith. A view, incidentally, that TLJ seems to support

Regarding Luke's death: I don't like this movie. I don't like Rey as a whole, I don't like the stupid casino stuff, I don't like the reason for Luke's exile (or his exile to begin with), I don't like Snoke..well, there's a lot of stuff I don't like.

I also didn't like Luke's death. I wanted him to go out with his laser sword and wreck poo poo. I wanted force lightning, crumpling up AT AT, picking Kylo up with the force and rag dolling the fucker, I wanted him to show he was a master! But is that really what a Jedi master would do?
What he actually did accomplished just as much, and he didn't even have to be there. What he did was what the real master would do. Overwhelming power does not a master make. I think it might just be the one part the movie got right. I don't like it, but it makes far more sense to have Luke have one last legendary feat, then pass on.

• Locked thread