Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Harton posted:

Yeah this struck me as odd as well. I think it’s a safe bet to assume trump voter=loving idiot.

They actually get their news from memes.

Its more attention grabbing to them it it has a cartoon fog and a catchphrase.

The dumbest movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Solenna posted:

On the subject of SNAP, as a Canadian, there's a different program that does formula and diapers and wipes for babies right? Because gently caress that stuff adds up quick.

Do any assistance programs cover tampons/pads/cups?

and ugh at the very concept of red pilling your daughter's boyfriend. Let's try and make our kid's significant other a worse person for them!

WIC is for mother's with young kids. It covers diapers and only certain kinds of baby foods. My cousin was on it when she had her kid at 17. I helped her out a lot.

Assistance programs don't cover things like tampons and toiletries. You can buy baking soda on EBT and use it for non food things tho. That's about it.

Once I tried to use my EBT to buy a 99¢ mini pumpkin for the kid I babysit. I figured it'd be covered because it was a gourd. It wasn't lol.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

There Bias Two posted:

gently caress this guy so hard. "Keep my daughter happy"...He's just oozing patriarchal bullshit on top of all the MAGA sludge.

I mean, in my opinion the two basically go hand in hand because there's so much overlap between the two. Overbearing patriarchs love that sort of toxic masculinity strongman bullshit.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Or roads
https://goo.gl/maps/FVAwEWQHJ1A2

No relation to that other Hitler, and the family did so much for the town that they said "gently caress that guy in Germany, he's not going to ruin it for us."1

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Oh yeah I visited NYC over the holiday. IDK why it's a story though.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Koalas March posted:

WIC is for mother's with young kids. It covers diapers and only certain kinds of baby foods. My cousin was on it when she had her kid at 17. I helped her out a lot.

Assistance programs don't cover things like tampons and toiletries. You can buy baking soda on EBT and use it for non food things tho. That's about it.

Once I tried to use my EBT to buy a 99¢ mini pumpkin for the kid I babysit. I figured it'd be covered because it was a gourd. It wasn't lol.

I wish they would make WIC easier to use. The program can be needlessly confusing about what is and what is not covered, before you add in a lack of sleep from new baby.

While working pediatrics my wife ran into families where the only reason the kid was getting any food at all was WIC. It is not being hyperbolic to say that WIC means fewer dead babies and that expanding it would be an unambiguously good thing.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Shifty Pony posted:

I wish they would make WIC easier to use. The program can be needlessly confusing about what is and what is not covered, before you add in a lack of sleep from new baby.

While working pediatrics my wife ran into families where the only reason the kid was getting any food at all was WIC. It is not being hyperbolic to say that WIC means fewer dead babies and that expanding it would be an unambiguously good thing.

Not to go all, "Won't Someone Think of the Children?"... but... "WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!?" Seriously.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
Those babies have been born, so they're on their own now. *trots back to abortion clinic to harass people*

Kale
May 14, 2010

If after 2017 anybody still thinks the GOP is remotely interested in serving the American people or the first worlds collective commonwealth interest so much as the Koch's and other donor darlings they either just aren't paying any attention at all or are completely brainwashed. Even during the doldrums of the Bush years it was never ever quite this blatant and it's only been one year into this government. I love how Trump just seemed to stay mad and blithering all throughout the Christmas Holidays like he couldn't even begin to understand what was supposed to be the spirit of the season (I don't think anybody really paid attention, I sure as gently caress didn't and only found out about most of it today because I was busy being with my family and being a human being) or that there's something in life beyond rhetoric and spewing conspiracy theories and blithering at whoever criticized him this week. When you put that together with contrasts like Jones victory party and relatable quotes and anthems and Roy Moore's weird literal funeral dirge gathering that was supposed to be a concession gathering it really is like they're just these weird Reptilian figures with absolutely no common grounding in reality and the human condition. Seriously the first thing that came to mind watching that contrast live with Jones was "what a relatable human being politician, seem like he might do well enough in the senate" vs. "What the honest to god gently caress am I even looking at? Boy did Alabama and the Senate dodge a bullet for at least a day by not electing this guy".

It's just utterly bizarre to see from Canada with all this weird extreme evangelism that feels irreconcilable with politics on a national scale because there's just no equivalent major party I'm aware of in any functioning first world democracy to the modern GOP. Like there's just absolutely nothing there anymore other than their constant rhetoric and extreme political goals based in the positions of a minority of the countries equally extreme views, a complete empty shell that's just there to cast a Partisan vote and not respond to reality and anything the public is trying to tell them with polling. I wonder if they even still hold town halls anymore because if they do they'll probably be getting an earful to last a life time in 2018.

The Pete Hoekstra thing also really put things in perspective again in just how not remotely seriously the current American government is going to be taken as long as this GOP alliance is in power in the U.S. Like sure just go lie your rear end off in Holland and try the "Fake News" line to make it all go away and see how well it actually goes when the people you're talking to have even a shred of integrity like Wouter Zwart. That poo poo might fly in the current U.S polarized political environment where people seem to base a large chunk of their reality off of twitter mumblings but it likely makes them not even want to bother with these Trump people in the long run that seem to just be sent out to other countries to antagonize them. The only thing that really surprises me there is that he actually apologized for the lying when he got caught red handed, which feels like a first for a Trump stooge. I really can't recall any scenario where they haven't just doubled down and practically started frothing at the mouth when they get caught lying again.

TL;DR: Rhetorical question, what the hell is wrong with these "people" and does any GOPer actually truly still think they got what they voted for?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Good menudo is loving delicious and I'll fight anyone who disagrees. I judge all Mexican restaurants on whether or not they even have it on their menu.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mustached Demon posted:

Good menudo is loving delicious and I'll fight anyone who disagrees. I judge all Mexican restaurants on whether or not they even have it on their menu.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Kale posted:

TL;DR: Rhetorical question, what the hell is wrong with these "people" and does any GOPer actually truly still think they got what they voted for?

What is wrong with these people.

1. They are racist. Trump has delivered gangbusters on the racism. If that's your primary concern, he's the greatest president since Nixon. Whatta guy.
2. They are stupid. Trump owned the "uneducated white" category.
3. They are tribal. Republican voters vote Republican like you support your favorite sports team. You are a lovely fan if you withdraw your support just because the new quarterback is not fit to play pro football.
Distant 4: They are rich and like the tax cuts.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Shifty Pony posted:

It's very intentionally complicated, it was originally not even supposed to be particularly restrictive on what kids or mothers could get it but they have continuously tried to clamp it down to being more and more a restrictive poverty program instead of just a simple "hey, lets give every kid a fair chance"

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I’m the dad’s conviction that he’s totally going to get through to the boyfriend one day.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
loving :laffo:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/946114774630371328

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Colin Mockery posted:

I’m the dad’s conviction that he’s totally going to get through to the boyfriend one day.

The implication that oozes from the whole thing is "I'm definitely breaking down his defenses, any minute now, he always goes quiet when I lay some truth down on him :smuggo:" when clearly the situation is that the poor kid just doesn't want to piss off his girlfriend's crazy dad by arguing

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

We're not a species made to last.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that's loving next level.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Colin Mockery posted:

More likely he’s attempting to scare the boyfriend away so his daughter can date someone with opinions he supports.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Data Graham posted:

The implication that oozes from the whole thing is "I'm definitely breaking down his defenses, any minute now, he always goes quiet when I lay some truth down on him :smuggo:" when clearly the situation is that the poor kid just doesn't want to piss off his girlfriend's crazy dad by arguing

I loved the "walking on eggshells" tone of the BF.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
It's pretty well established that trying to "debunk" someones beliefs will just cause the beliefs to be stronger.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Solenna posted:

On the subject of SNAP, as a Canadian, there's a different program that does formula and diapers and wipes for babies right? Because gently caress that stuff adds up quick.

as KM said, WIC

SNAP (supplemental nutrition assistance program) is food stamps. you get a debit card with a certain amount of money every month, that can be spent on any eligible food item, which is a pretty wide range of stuff. excluded items are like, alcohol, toilet paper, pet food, cleaning supplies, etc. notably, you can't buy hot prepared foods like sandwiches

WIC (women, infants, children) is more restrictive. you get vouchers for specific items like 1lb cheese (choice of cheddar, colby, mozzarella etc.) and not much option. or like, $10 of fresh vegetables of your choice. it's focused specifically on ensuring nutrition for pregnant/nursing women and young children. it covers formula and sometimes diapers, which is a huge help - the formula voucher alone is like half the value of a set of vouchers

you can get SNAP and WIC at the same time

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Tengames posted:

More likely he’s really wants to gently caress his own daughter.

ftfy also.

Reminder one of the purity ball dads hosed his daughter.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Human psychology is loving bizarre.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

In conclusion the brain is a land of contrast

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Reik posted:

We're not a species made to last.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF_4EWSuzQY

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

gently caress SNEEP posted:

In conclusion the brain is a land of contrast

The local npr station has an ad for a trip you can go on to Iceland and it calls Iceland a "land of contrasts" as I can't tell if it's a reference since iceland feels like the last place I'd think to use that phrase for naturally

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mustached Demon posted:

Dude, Tacos.

And I don't mean that nonsense about Taco Bell or some other boring-rear end crap. Hell, I don't find him all that funny, but Gabriel Iglesias got it right when talking about Taco Stands/Trucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLJpRx3WPNY&t=49s

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I work for DCFS in Louisiana, specifically on SNAP cases and it always pisses me off when people try to attack the program. The amount of fraud or "welfare queens" or whatever other bullshit people like to spout is so minimal over people who really need the help it's hardly worth worrying about. Honestly the biggest problem that could use addressing is psychological. I get a lot of families who will quit jobs because their benefits decrease even though they were getting more money with the job because they've always been on SNAP. But the state/fed governments are always more worried about kicking people off if they don't get a job.

I can't imagine what would happen to these people if they just out and out got rid of the program, especially during hard times like natural disasters.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Wark Say posted:

Dude, Tacos.

And I don't mean that nonsense about Taco Bell or some other boring-rear end crap. Hell, I don't find him all that funny, but Gabriel Iglesias got it right when talking about Taco Stands/Trucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLJpRx3WPNY&t=49s

Taco trucks aren't Mexican restaurants. They're taco trucks. There's a big difference that totally ruins my methods of power ranking eateries.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Since Millennials are struggling I wonder how many are on SNAP. If we can campaign to get our generation to use this assistance programs I wonder if it would make them more likely to fight for them.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

I wanna frame this.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

The people who do this work are inspiring. I just want to hug all the kids...

Think about how mentally shaken veterans of, say, Vietnam or Iraq are decades later. The entire Iraqi society has been shaken up in this traumatic blender that will last generations. Can you imagine how crazy you’d think your family background was if just one of these things happened to you?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Koalas March posted:

Since Millennials are struggling I wonder how many are on SNAP. If we can campaign to get our generation to use this assistance programs I wonder if it would make them more likely to fight for them.

I think the thing I hate the most is the student requirements. In Louisiana if a person goes to college or technical school or any place of learning that requires a high school diploma or GED they have to meet a list of requirements to even be eligible. Stuff like going to school while having a child under 6, going to school for like 30 (!) hours per week, or going to school while working at least 20 hours per week.

On the flip side if you don't go to school, you can usually get full benefits while having to do a few Mandatory Work Requirement Job searches. When I went to school I had a student job the school gave me and it got maybe 9 - 12 hours per week. I never have gotten a straight answer as to why you would punish people trying to learn.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Scipiotik posted:

The one thing Trump is good at is getting his name on buildings, so this makes sense.

A hotel in SoHo removed his name recently, not sure why he hasn't had a bird poo poo about it.

Reik posted:

Inviting Trump to any event not about him is a recipe for disaster.

Reminder, Donnie crashed a cancer charity, took a stage seat from a donor for the photo op and left.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Koalas March posted:

Almost all PAs trying to break into film in Atlanta are.

On set they get fed. In between shoots its difficult to find work since you can be pulled away at a moments notice.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Spikeguy posted:

I never have gotten a straight answer as to why you would punish people trying to learn.

You don't want the poor getting ideas above their station, do you?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Koalas March posted:

napkin math says around 10.7M Millennials or about 14% of the cohort. My math could be wrong.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

PhazonLink posted:

ftfy also.

Reminder one of the purity ball dads hosed his daughter.

Got a link? Purity balls gross me out, but I've yet to see any evidence of incest (beyond one article about a step-father molesting his daughter) as a result of this practice.

The kind of people that force their daughters to be "promise keepers" should get waved by the bouncer to the front of the guillotine line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Almost all PAs trying to break into film in Atlanta are.

On set they get fed. In between shoots its difficult to find work since you can be pulled away at a moments notice.

I feel this deeply.

• Locked thread