Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

om nom nom posted:

My girlfriend's sister does elf on the shelf with her kids, grandma gets really into it too. It's the most absurd thing to me (she agrees), I can't imagine ever participating in such nonsense. They are the pinnacle of white suburban middle class, picket fence, 2 kids and a dog in Ohio, they seem to celebrate all of the bullshit Hallmark holidays too. I don't know if they think all of these things are cute and fun, or if they're just gullible.

Had an ex-gf years and years ago and her familiy (or perhaps it could have just been her mom for all I know) had a "tradition" I found odd. Her mom would set up the manger scene on like Dec 1st, but absent Baby Jesus (natch). But the 3 Wise Men she would put at the opposite end of the house, and every day, she would move them closer so that they "arrived" at the manger on Christmas, along with BJ himself.

It was...odd. She was a little too into this idea.

Just seemed like a weird part of the story to latch on to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

HaB posted:

Had an ex-gf years and years ago and her familiy (or perhaps it could have just been her mom for all I know) had a "tradition" I found odd. Her mom would set up the manger scene on like Dec 1st, but absent Baby Jesus (natch). But the 3 Wise Men she would put at the opposite end of the house, and every day, she would move them closer so that they "arrived" at the manger on Christmas, along with BJ himself.

It was...odd. She was a little too into this idea.

Just seemed like a weird part of the story to latch on to.

She did it wrong, then. The three wise men shouldn't have arrived until 12 days after Christmas (which is why some Orthodox religions don't celebrate Christmas until January 6).

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I have a single-person family and I play Sock on a Cock.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you’re not doing whore in a drawer with your kid’s Bratz doll you’re teaching them the wrong lessons.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Milo and POTUS posted:

They milk themselves nowadays.

Couple pages back but they actually microchip cows to make sure they're not overmilked, because they'll happily line up for a second turn. Each cow lines herself up to be milked, gets scanned and hooked up by laser-guided computers, milked, then released. If you don't stop them they'll amble right back to the back of the line again.

Also, the vast majority of chickens could not even begin to care less if you took their eggs.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

She did it wrong, then. The three wise men shouldn't have arrived until 12 days after Christmas (which is why some Orthodox religions don't celebrate Christmas until January 6).

If they were super Orthodox, wouldn't they celebrate it in the summer when he was actually born? Rather than in the heathen pagan season chosen for it's marketability?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

If they were super Orthodox, wouldn't they celebrate it in the summer when he was actually born? Rather than in the heathen pagan season chosen for it's marketability?

Well, the trouble with that is that no one knows when he was actually supposed to have been born. We only know vaguely "summer-ish" because of the mention of shepherds being in the field at the time. So it'd be hard to pick a definite date.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

That is not why at all, and it's January 7.
The real reason is the Julian calendar.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

Well, the trouble with that is that no one knows when he was actually supposed to have been born. We only know vaguely "summer-ish" because of the mention of shepherds being in the field at the time. So it'd be hard to pick a definite date.

Isn't the same date as the Easter Bunny's bris?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Farmdizzle posted:

My man, let me tell you about Valentine's Day...

One thing that surprised me when I moved to Cincinnati was “Sweetest Day,” which is basically Valentine’s Day on the opposite end of the calendar. And it was created specifically to deal with a lull in the candy business.

It seems like a lot of people had no idea it was a local thing either, when I mentioned that it wasn’t something we celebrated where I grew up.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
I don't recall elf on the shelf growing up at all, but I knew a young lady that did. She was probably born around the mid 90s, so elf on the shelf might actually be a tradition for some people.

Edit: does awful app not let you post images? I can't see if the one I posted works. If not, Imagine a picture of someone wanting to write 2018, but they accidentally wrote 2017, so they mangle the seven into an eight.

crack mayor has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Dec 27, 2017

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

It's certainly possible I am misremembering the details. It was like 20 years ago.

She just had WAY too much enthusiasm for this one weird little thing.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

SpacePig posted:

Elf on Shelf is primarily for parents who don't feel like actually disciplining their kids, and need a physical totem of Santa's omnipresence to threaten their kids into good behavior.

My parents would just have a bunch of wrapped empty boxes under the tree and when one of us would misbehave they would throw the present in the fireplace.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's very manufactured, and I don't understand how anyone fell for it.
As opposed to absolutely every other Christmas tradition?
The worst manufactured bullshit is Saturnalia / Yule / Winter solstice celebrations having anything to do with Jesus or Christianity

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I might have this wrong, but didn't Justinian or somebody like that set Christmas to be around Saturnalia celebrations so that people would more readily accept celebrating it? And then Christmas celebrations became an amalgamation of a bunch of different winter harvest traditions that somehow got associated with Jesus?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

cyberbug posted:

The worst manufactured bullshit is Saturnalia / Yule / Winter solstice celebrations having anything to do with Jesus or Christianity
lmao nice troll

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

cyberbug posted:

As opposed to absolutely every other Christmas tradition?
[/quote]

See also:
Halloween
Easter
May Day
Valentine's Day

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

BrianBoitano posted:

Why is the bird thread closed? :mad:

(the things others posted there were higher quality than this, sorry)

I don’t know. That is one dapper bird. He is obviously a bird of high quality and social standing.

SpacePig posted:

I might have this wrong, but didn't Justinian or somebody like that set Christmas to be around Saturnalia celebrations so that people would more readily accept celebrating it? And then Christmas celebrations became an amalgamation of a bunch of different winter harvest traditions that somehow got associated with Jesus?

I don’t remember who they said came up with the idea, but from what I remember from the documentaries I’ve seen on the subject, you are correct. It was set up to make the transition to Christianity easier. I can’t remember when gift giving became part of the holiday.

My problem with elf on the shelf is that the elf is creepy looking and outdated. It wouldn’t be a problem if it was invented in the 60’s, but it was invented in 2005.

Bored has a new favorite as of 21:43 on Dec 27, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Das Boo posted:

I feel like the hate piled on the elf thing is a little dramatic since all the same complaints can be made against Santa, a Coke product. I don't even like the dumb thing, but geez.

Coca Cola didn't invent a single aspect of Santa Claus. Except for his love of Coca-Cola, but it's not like that's ever represented outside of Coke ads. The most you can say is that they standardized his appearance.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm sure that this is totally normal for ladies but I'm a guy and I just found out that women carry around trash bags so they can poop while wearing a gown and I think that's delightful

No I'm sorry but that's not right at all. You're not supposed to tear a hole in it, you just hoist it up under your skirt and secure it to your garters and then you can just crap into the bag and deposit it at your convenience and no one's the wiser.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

quote:

See also:
Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day, also called Saint Valentine's Day or the Feast of Saint Valentine,[1] is an annual holiday celebrated on February 14. It originated as a Western Christian liturgical feast day honoring one or more early saints named Valentinus,

What the gently caress is up with you guys? Valentine's Day isn't an appropriated pagan ritual, Coca-Cola didn't invent Santa Claus, if you're still upset about the Christians stealing Saturn-loving-alia in 2017, you've got brain problems.

Do you all get your facts from third hand descriptions of Snapple bottle caps?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I've also watched American Gods, and now I'm an expert on all things mythology. :smug:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Valentine's Day, also called Saint Valentine's Day or the Feast of Saint Valentine,[1] is an annual holiday celebrated on February 14. It originated as a Western Christian liturgical feast day honoring one or more early saints named Valentinus,

What the gently caress is up with you guys? Valentine's Day isn't an appropriated pagan ritual, Coca-Cola didn't invent Santa Claus, if you're still upset about the Christians stealing Saturn-loving-alia in 2017, you've got brain problems.

I get all my facts from various listicles.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

CerealCrunch posted:

I repeat what I hear at Festivus.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

CerealCrunch posted:

You won't believe number 3!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Saturnalia is for soft southron roundheads. Yule is only true winter solstice festival.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

See also:
Valentine's Day
[quote]

Shouldn't you be posting inscrutable cloud pictures or something?

Valentine's Day was preceded by the Roman holiday Lupercalia.

Cupid is a super Christian icon too :rolleyes:

Pretty much every seasonal holiday can be tied to a Pagan HOLY poo poo WE SURVIVED (SEASON) celebration.

Ornamental Dingbat has a new favorite as of 22:30 on Dec 27, 2017

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
"Is Elf on the Shelf a Christmas Tradition?" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate,

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dreddout posted:

"Is Elf on the Shelf a Christmas Tradition?" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate,

How many doxxes, death threats, de-moddings, and video responses?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Maybe NSFW? https://i.imgur.com/pUv8xv8.jpg

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Sexy

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

And now for something completely different.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Earthworm Jim hasn't aged well.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I repeat what I hear at Festivus.

So, then, you're ready for the feats of strength?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Coca Cola didn't invent a single aspect of Santa Claus. Except for his love of Coca-Cola, but it's not like that's ever represented outside of Coke ads. The most you can say is that they standardized his appearance.

Took me way too literal there, friend.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Das Boo posted:

Took me way too literal there, friend.
jokes are traditionally funny, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

om nom nom posted:

...They are the pinnacle of white suburban middle class, picket fence, 2 kids and a dog in Ohio...

Is the like having a summer home somewhere? "Oh yeah, we winter in the Aspens, and have a chalet in the south of France. And of course, we have a dog or two in Ohio."