Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

QuarkMartial posted:

Costco has those LED shoplights in store and on sale again. Finally bought one on impulse.... And will probably get more after Christmas.

E: having just set it up, I want three more. These are awesome.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve been waiting for these to show up again. I just picked up 10 of them. Sale ends tomorrow.

4 different guys asked me where to get them while walking around the store.

always be closing posted:

Anyone have a link for those little clips for storing the m18 batteries on the wall/under a shelf?

If you mean the ones I posted a few weeks ago, it was this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2216682

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

eddiewalker posted:

4 different guys asked me where to get them while walking around the store.

How To Pick Up Guys At Costco.txt

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

If you mean the ones I posted a few weeks ago, it was this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2216682

Thanks a lot Eddie, that was it. I dont have or know anyone with a 3d printer, any ideas?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Thanks a lot Eddie, that was it. I dont have or know anyone with a 3d printer, any ideas?

There's a "Order This Printed" link on the page.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

It's hard to recommend paid printing services when the Monoprice Mini is $200, and those clips are like $0.75 in plastic. Granted, there's some initial frustration in learning how to work it.

PM if you want. Cover materials and a few bucks for shipping, I could call it a christmas gift.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Check your local libraries, too. I know mine is getting one in the next month or two.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'll print a couple in any color you want, so long as it's black ABS.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Uthor posted:

How To Pick Up Guys At Costco.txt

I like the way you handle that shop light.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

sharkytm posted:

I'll print a couple in any color you want, so long as it's black ABS.

Can you do something like periwinkle?

On a more serious note I've reached hillbilly status. Harbor Freight is sending me two catalogs a month with slightly different names (not my fault). Mailman either thinks I'm a genius or an idiot in order to garner 20% coupons.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

You don't actually need the mailer for that. The HF tools coupon database maintains all current coupons.

I pull up the 20% or whatever and they scan it right on my phone. There's a 25% deal coming up for new years.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Plus if you're just nice to the cashiers and say you forgot your twenty percent coupon, nine times out of ten they'll just scan one for you.

Speaking of horror fraught, anyone actually wind up getting anything from that settlement earlier this year?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Can you do something like periwinkle?

On a more serious note I've reached hillbilly status. Harbor Freight is sending me two catalogs a month with slightly different names (not my fault). Mailman either thinks I'm a genius or an idiot in order to garner 20% coupons.

When I moved into my house I was a HF catalog in my name and one in the previous owners name. Oddly enough, they were different catalogs and his had better deals (25% off coupons when I'd only have 20%). All I could think is that maybe he'd been an ITC member at some point or bought enough to get a better catalog.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

Speaking of horror fraught, anyone actually wind up getting anything from that settlement earlier this year?

I have not.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
I'm looking for an oil filter wrench or something along those lines to make my oil changes a little easier. At the moment I'm just using my hands which always ends up in me stabbing the filter with a screwdriver.

I've tried a strap type one which ended up breaking (was a new to me car) and didn't like it much anyway. What is the best option other than that type? I think my record is 3 hours on an oil change which is not fun.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ansith posted:

I'm looking for an oil filter wrench or something along those lines to make my oil changes a little easier. At the moment I'm just using my hands which always ends up in me stabbing the filter with a screwdriver.

I've tried a strap type one which ended up breaking (was a new to me car) and didn't like it much anyway. What is the best option other than that type? I think my record is 3 hours on an oil change which is not fun.
The strap type and the chain type require a certain amount of "side" room on the filter, while the 3-leg type or socket type go on the end. Depends on access really. The sockets are great, but are specific to a given filter size, and not sure how well they'd cope with a properly tight filter. Not used a 3-leg one, as never needed to.

I use the chain type whenever I can. Find they're better than the straps as they slightly kink the filter body and really dig in rather than slipping on an oily surface.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've had pretty good luck with one of these for many years unless it was tightened by an ape.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I've got a 3 leg one, it's awesome. Again, unless the filter was installed by an idiot.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
TBH, if they're properly on there, just let the thing shear itself in two trying to remove it, then use a pin spanner on the flow holes of the base.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Ansith posted:

I got one off that wouldnt come off with a screwdriver through it with this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/locking-oil-filter-wrench-66568.html

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

One thing I always dread is the first oil change with a "new-to-me" car.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Glad it's not just me that prepares for the oil pan having to come off as a result of some previous bodge.

Not always paranoia: I once drained a motorcycle with a seized drain plug by flipping it over and shaking the oil out the filler plug.

I was stronger then

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Glad it's not just me that prepares for the oil pan having to come off as a result of some previous bodge.

Not always paranoia: I once drained a motorcycle with a seized drain plug by flipping it over and shaking the oil out the filler plug.

I was stronger then
It was extremely annoying doing the Jeep, where the gearboxes and axles didn't have drain plugs. That's just being cheap with making stuff.

Also, making sure you can undo fill plugs before loosening drain plugs. Everyone learns this one the hard way at some point.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Colostomy Bag posted:

Step #1 buy a sump plug bolt and washer
Step #2 buy a car with a cartridge filter in a housing at the top like BMW, GM
Step #3 have somewhere on a ledge, like you bought/rented you house like a pro and there's a place there with a ground level change like a safe kerb or tiny wall there, or even a friendly neighbours or families house where you don't even need a jack and stands to get to the sump plug

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 27, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fo3 posted:

Step #2, buy a car with a cartridge filter in a housing at the top like BMW, GM
Oh, you mean with the plastic top caps everyone totally fucks for you?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Nope, the VZ holden commodore and e34 BMW is all alloy and they are the last cars I've worked on.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

I've had pretty good luck with one of these for many years unless it was tightened by an ape.

I'm a big fan of this style after it saved my rear end once. I had already destroyed the filter with a screwdriver and further mangled it with other tools but that wrench was able to grab onto the remains and spin it off.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ansith posted:

At the moment I'm just using my hands which always ends up in me...

I read it this way like four times before my brain would parse the remainder of the sentence.

This probably says more about me than it does about you.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Ansith posted:

I don't have this exact one, but any oil filter pliers should be more than good enough to remove anything you run into:

https://m.harborfreight.com/oil-filter-pliers-61477.html

For your changes, you shouldn't need anything more than a leather work glove to grab and loosen the old one, they shouldn't be cranked on there any more than handtight. A leather work glove should give you just enough extra grip to loosen it. Also rub a little clean oil on the threads and rubber seal of the new filter to prevent the contact surface from siezing up.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

OSU_Matthew posted:

I don't have this exact one, but any oil filter pliers should be more than good enough to remove anything you run into:

https://m.harborfreight.com/oil-filter-pliers-61477.html

For your changes, you shouldn't need anything more than a leather work glove to grab and loosen the old one, they shouldn't be cranked on there any more than handtight. A leather work glove should give you just enough extra grip to loosen it. Also rub a little clean oil on the threads and rubber seal of the new filter to prevent the contact surface from siezing up.

The problem with pliers is that you need room to use them. The 3-jaw ones work from the end, and don't need a ton of clearance.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Self tightening jaw style is the way to go for sure, or just the caps that fit on the end if you only have one car/filter to change. There's no room for the pliers on most of the stuff I usually do.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I like the pliers because you can just open them up and grab stuff from the end or at any crazy angle and that's always been enough torque for me. Most of the time the battle is just being able to grab the drat thing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

A guy at work was getting desperate with some poo poo box Rover oil change and ended up making a steel plate with a big nut welded on and a series of holes. He hammered mails through the holes into the filter and...

...ended up with a twisted mess of bolloxed filter of course.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

slidebite posted:

This type is the best, with the caveat that there are small/medium/large/xl sizes, and you will eventually find yourself needing the size you dont have. They are :homebrew: but worth it.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I have one of these Facom wrenches:

Has never failed me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I like the cartridge on my VW with the molded hex nut. Makes it easy to undo with a socket.

Not sure if that's worth the other problems that come with owning a VW.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

It isn’t, BMWs have the same thing and don’t suck.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I can't get my wife's Jetta up onto ramps to change the oil due to low clearance (and fairly steep ramps). Is there a relatively cheap and compact jack I can use to put it up on jack stands? Looks like a bottle jack would be too tall.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I can't get my wife's Jetta up onto ramps to change the oil due to low clearance (and fairly steep ramps). Is there a relatively cheap and compact jack I can use to put it up on jack stands? Looks like a bottle jack would be too tall.

Where you are would help You can get low profile car jacks, but where to get a decent one varies by country.

Stacking 2x6s in front of the ramp can usually get low cars all up on them.

I don't know where the oil filter is on that car, but with by my BMW and my WRX, i could change the oil with them flat on the ground but i'm a monster with long arms.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Got any boards laying around? Put them up against the ramps and run up on them first. Get you another inch and a half depending on the board.

Otherwise, trolley jacks tend to run fairly cheap, but you won't get a ton of height out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Hadn't considered stacking boards in front of the ramp. That sounds like the best solution to start.

Follow-up question. My metals ramps slide around like crazy on my garage floor when conditions are wrong (wet tires, etc.). Is there some dumb trick to get them to stay still? I've tried rubber pads underneath, etc. with mixed success.