Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I was going to post this in the guitar thread but I realized my opinion might be stupid. I love the Ed O'Brien strat for all the little details but the one that really puts it over the top is that they moved the output jack to the profile in the back. A slight de-Buddy Holly-ification of the strat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I want that guitar real bad but thanks for pointing out the output jack. I hate that change :(

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Apparently Gibson is suing Funko Pop over using Gibson guitar shapes on their little dolls of rock stars

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

*Gibson wheezes its dying breath also sues dollmaker*

“Ha Ha got em!”

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

Apparently Gibson is suing Funko Pop over using Gibson guitar shapes on their little dolls of rock stars
Found the link. I don't know what to think anymore with regards to Gibson, but the one thought that firmly comes up is "Shouldn't you be worrying about the mountain of loving debt you're currently in, instead of further doing the kind of poo poo that probably landed you there in the first place?"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
kinda curious what sort of licensing offer gibson claims they made that the doll maker rejected

also :laffo: at this line

quote:

“The misuse of the Gibson trademarks by Funko was intended to cause, has caused, and is likely to continue to cause, consumer confusion, mistake or deception including the misleading of consumers into mistakenly believing that the defendant’s unauthorized products are made directly by Gibson pursuant to Gibson’s strict quality control standards or Gibson has authorized or licensed the use by Funko of the Gibson trademarks for those products,” the complaint said.

the case should get tossed purely for that level of blatant lying

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Shugojin posted:

I don't know what's worse, Gibson or Funko.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
My brother got me one of the EVH d-tunas for Christmas. It doesn't fit on any of my Ibaneezers and their wacky Edge trems :saddowns:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it would work on a truly floating tremolo anyway. Drop your E string down a whole step without adjusting the rest of the strings and you can predict what will happen.

The Edge may have its issues, but in my experience they are incredibly sensitive to changes in tension on the string or spring sides. My oldest Edge trems still return to zero perfectly so unless you blocked it the D-Tuner was never going to be an option.

And this is why I wish and keep saying I wish there were more three-pickup RG style Ibaneezers with hard-tail bridges. No whammy bar fun, but every tuning right there at your disposal without much work at all.

This made me think of tuning on-the-fly:
I bought one of those clip-on tuners back before I got my Blackstar and drat I don't know how I lived before that. I used to have to plug into the tuner, I'd switch to the neck pickup, roll off the tone knob, and proceed to tune. If it didn't take (say, after I locked down the locking nut) I might have to do it all over again. Now I just clip the thing on the headstock and turn it on for a minute while I dial in. drat those things are great.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I didn't have the heart to explain that to him, I'd been bitching about never being able to decide between standard and drop tunings and the ballache of adjusting trems a few months ago so i guess that's what gave him the idea. The Edge Zero 2 on my S series is so stable, I couldn't bear to block it. He plays too and hasn't tried a floating trem (or an Ibanez) before today, I reckon I'm gonna get a 'I just bought one you prick' text some time soon.

Clip on tuners are also the best little gadget, 'silent' tuning is ace. Until the battery runs out when you desperately need it mid set cos the A string on your Jag has suddenly decided to shift in its saddle and go over half a tone flat and you've got no way of rectifying the issue.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

NonzeroCircle posted:

My brother got me one of the EVH d-tunas for Christmas. It doesn't fit on any of my Ibaneezers and their wacky Edge trems :saddowns:

That just sounds like an excuse to get a new guitar for it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I like having redundancy in important, yet cheap gear like tuners, cables, and 9v batteries.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Wark Say posted:

Found the link. I don't know what to think anymore with regards to Gibson, but the one thought that firmly comes up is "Shouldn't you be worrying about the mountain of loving debt you're currently in, instead of further doing the kind of poo poo that probably landed you there in the first place?"
I was curious so I looked up the toys in question.

Okay, so James Hetfield is holding an Explorer, presumably based on an ESP one that they're not allowed to make in exactly that shape anymore. Not entirely unfair I guess.

Okay, I can buy a lot of real Les Paul copies that look way more like a real Gibson than that does, and Gibson has given up on suing them, so this is a bit ridiculous. It has a Buckethead killswitch arcade button for some reason. :lol:

Moving on to KISS, of all the four figures this is the only one that resembles a Gibson at all, and it's about the most generic toy guitar it could possibly be. Paul Stanley, on the other hand, is clearly holding an Iceman.

I don't know what Five Nights at Freddy's is but this is the only character that appears to have a guitar and again, super generic looking. You can totally buy actual V copy guitars that Gibson can't touch but apparently they can go for this.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Lets talk about my favorite stupid music item. Big Bends Nut Sauce. Does it do anything? I don't know but I always use it.

I bought a tube of this in like 2008. I still have it. I put it on the nut slots and each saddle slot every time I change strings.

Its like only half way used after like 10 years.

I just did a string change and it made me realize how rarely I actually change my strings. I basically only change them if I break one...

Am I weird? I feel like strings are basically fine forever as long as they aren't rusty or anything and they still stay in tune. Changing strings often is a conspiracy. If they stay in tune...Who cares how old they are? I have a strat with 3 year old strings and it sounds/plays just fine.

My only thing with this is acoustic guitars. It actually makes a difference there, but on an electric...gently caress it.
How often do you nerds change your strings?

Malaria fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 27, 2017

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Malaria posted:

Lets talk about my favorite stupid music item. Big Bends Nut Sauce. Does it do anything? I don't know but I always use it.

I bought a tube of this in like 2008. I still have it. I put it on the nut slots and each saddle slot every time I change strings.

Its like only half way used after like 10 years.

I just did a string change and it made me realize how rarely I actually change my strings. I basically only change them if I break one...

Am I weird? I feel like strings are basically fine forever as long as they aren't rusty or anything and they still stay in tune. Changing strings often is a conspiracy. If they stay in tune...Who cares how old they are? I have a strat with 3 year old strings and it sounds/plays just fine.

How often do you nerds change your strings?
I'm glad you posted this. I know graphite from a pencil would probably suffice but I wanted a couple other polishes and cleaners (something for my growing collection of maple fretboards... yes, I use naptha to clean them but I'd like to condition them a little as well) so I just ordered the 5cc syringe of But Sauce, along with two Music Nomad products: "F-One Oil Fretboard Cleaner and Conditioner" and "The Guitar One - All-in-One Cleaner, Polish, and Wax," so if that's stupid music poo poo then I'm in for three more stupid music shits.

The B string on my new Fender Strat likes to get stuck sharp when I use the bar for subtle vibrato on chords and I don't want to start filing or otherwise messing with the nut/string-tree yet. I'd like to try this Nut Sauce stuff first and see if it helps.

As far as changing strings goes, I'm a lot (I mean, a LOT) better about washing my hands before I play and wiping down the strings after. My Dad has very dry hands and his strings never seem to go bad, but when I don't exercise extra string hygiene I can pretty much ruin a set of strings (turn them black in places in just hours, turn them into barbed wire in a couple weeks.) Now I only need to change strings when the mood strikes me to pick up a guitar I've left sitting for awhile. Even in the case they tend to oxidize over time, so I check out the guitar and if they don't seem very fresh I go ahead and do a full setup with a new pack of strings (checking the neck angle, relief, trem height, etc.) as roughly half of my guitars aren't so stable and the other half are still susceptible to seasonal changes.

Basically if I play for an hour and my left hand's fingertips smell noticeably like metal, I'm gonna change strings.

P.S. - Not a stealth edit: Upon proof-reading the post I notice I misspelled "Nut Sauce" once above, but I'm going to leave it as is because.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
99% of the time strings getting hung up in the nut is because the slot wasn't filed properly

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The Muppets On PCP posted:

99% of the time strings getting hung up in the nut is because the slot wasn't filed properly

that's what she said

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
I've got a little bottle of GraphitALL Guitar Lube that I got, I don't know, probably back in the '90's. It's probably half used. You really don't use much. I apply it with every string change. Does it do anything? Well, it doesn't hurt anything. Strings hardly ever break.

I have a bunch of guitars and basses, and I rotate through them. When I do a string change, I put a little sticker on the back so I know when I last changed the strings (and battery if it has one). It's usually more than a year.

The D'Addario NYXL strings I put on my main guitar back in July 2014 are still fine. ( I should probably just sell the rest of my guitars which haven't been out of their cases in more than a year. I just like that one so much.)

On bass, I switched to Dunlop Super Brights a year or two ago. They do get duller after a few months, but they are so bright to start with that it's not a problem, you just roll off the treble a bit less.

YES, wash hands before you play and wipe down the guitar or bass after. It would be gross to not do that. Eww.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
if I play live with a set of strings I find my sweat is sufficiently corrosive that i'll almost certainly break a string if I play live with them again, which is an extremely bad feeling to have going into a set. Usually it's the A string because I apparently miscalculated my string tensions when picking the gauges to bulk order so that string has a noticeably higher tension than the others... and I'm stuck with this gauge until I use my remaining 15 sets or whatever it is I have. Ugh.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I almost never break strings, but I love the sound of new strings, and 3-4 weeks is all it takes for a new set to lose that "fresh string pop" to my ears. If I wasn't lazy and had infinite money, I would change them once a month. I recently put my first set of coated strings on my LP, and they still sound brand new six weeks later, so I may make the switch on all of my guitars as the old sets get rotated out.

Actuary X posted:

I have a bunch of guitars and basses, and I rotate through them. When I do a string change, I put a little sticker on the back so I know when I last changed the strings (and battery if it has one). It's usually more than a year.

I'm stealing this idea. I have 7 guitars and I can never remember A) how old the strings are and B) what gauge/brand I used.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
if youre breaking strings stop with the banjo poo poo and get some real string :smugdog:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5bQDH5AI1E

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

donut posted:

I don't know what Five Nights at Freddy's is but this is the only character that appears to have a guitar and again, super generic looking. You can totally buy actual V copy guitars that Gibson can't touch but apparently they can go for this.

I'm the 8 tuning pegs for 4 strings

Also Five Nights at Freddy's is a game about being a night security guard in a place where the animatronic things come to life and try to kill you and you have to survive

do you think this guy is using PEDs???

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 28, 2017

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

This thread is pretty restrained regarding Big Bends Nut Sauce

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I just use a pencil :shrug:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Ingmar terdman posted:

I think everyone is too busy practicing their fingering and loosening g strings.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ingmar terdman posted:

it's like every other guitar-specific accouterment in that it's mostly useless and the same thing can be accomplished using a cheaper common household item (or in this case buying a teflon-coated nut) but who cares

Shugojin posted:

even if it wasn't obvious just from looking at him, he claims drug free gains which means he's totally juicing

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 28, 2017

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Shugojin posted:

according to this description on the video:

"hahahaha this video has become quite the hater magnet, and why shouldn't it? This guy's such a loving human being!!! Anybody can pick up a guitar and play this kind of music on their first try; no talent whatsoever. Btw, nice guitar queer!!! What's that, a Randy Rhoads flying V? God, how gay and stupid!!! Nice veins going across your muscles homo. What's that? You spent over 12 years dedicating yourself to being a drug-free bodybuilder, eating how a bodybuilder is supposed to eat, and not drinking alcohol/eating fast food like everyone else does? That's so loving stupid, god you're such a fag!!!! Your hobbies are so retarded, why don't you just kill yourself. I don't know anything about you, but I hate you so much. You're really dumb looking too. And tank tops are for skinny fat guys you loving dumbass oval office!!!
"

likely not, that unbridled rage is just natural.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
When asked if he was unhappy with the largely negative reaction to Illud Divinum Insanus, which was the first collaboration with Vincent since 1995’s Domination, Azagthoth drifts away into asylumville.

“Momma’s little baby likes short’nen, short’nen/Momma’s little baby likes short’nen bread,” he sings, then spins off into an unnerving narrative: “Cori-Bell, those weeds are growing faster than you pulling them. Mary-Bell, your daddy watching the way you planting that and it don’t look straight. Lilly-Bell, that plow is not gonna plow without a little elbow grease.” Then Azagthoth returns to song, “Momma’s little baby likes short’nen short’nen/Momma’s little baby likes short’nen bread.”

Even if his unsettling asides aren’t a stunt and actually reveal some mental instability, they don’t detract from his stellar playing.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

So it turns out all the old school Command and Conquer sound-tracks are on Spotify. This trip down memory lane ultimately lead me to this and I can't decide if its stupid or awesomely stupid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_qPFFem6UU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
sounds like therion

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The best part is where they run a string underneath another on one side...but not the other.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I like the screws

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

They're out of order.

The 4th and 5th strings are out of goddamn order.

What

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Is...

Was that a bass?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

Is...

Was that a bass?

I think so yeah

It definitely has bass tuners

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ignore me.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
have you noticed the nut. Is there even a nut? There's *something* there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Fair Hallion posted:

have you noticed the nut. Is there even a nut? There's *something* there.

I hope this is the beginning of an ARG