Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Steve Jorbs posted:

It's been on sale for $25 in the past.

Uuuugh i could get it for less than that on my PS4, but I want it for the Switch...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

Can't find the SNES Classic thread, but JIC: SNES Classics are up on the Gamestop website. Just managed to snag one.
FYI: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783186

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Uuuugh i could get it for less than that on my PS4, but I want it for the Switch...
Ya, it's definitely more of a $20 game than a $40 one, but Switch tax and all.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Verisimilidude posted:

Can't find the SNES Classic thread, but JIC: SNES Classics are up on the Gamestop website. Just managed to snag one.

I wasn't going to get one but I walked into a Gamestop randomly one day and there were four, sitting right there behind the employee. How could I not pick one up?

It's a great little SNES machine, but better with the addition of Zombies Ate My Neighbors! and Chrono Trigger. Also really good for playing GBA games.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Just got home from holiday traveling and was going to put the switch back in the dock. Wife says I can play it on the TV if I want, but I say no, I'm just going to leave it in the dock. I then turn back around to put it in there...

Yahaha! She yells. :3:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

All gone as of 1715 EST.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Larrymer posted:

Just got home from holiday traveling and was going to put the switch back in the dock. Wife says I can play it on the TV if I want, but I say no, I'm just going to leave it in the dock. I then turn back around to put it in there...

That's awesome.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Hyrule castle wasn't a dungeon.

The divine beasts, all combined, had enough content for a single dungeon. BotW is an incredible game. But as a Zelda it's pretty bad.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the ideal BotW sequel would reduce the total number of shrines to like ~80 or so and spend those resources on four (or more!!) main dungeons that are integrated into the overworld like hyrule castle but with more puzzles and locked doors. also it would be cool if it was similar to zelda 1 where keys aren't limited to specific dungeons

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's okay and even good for games in a franchise to emphasize different things imo

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'd be ok with a few more castles. Even if they weren't nessesarily dungeons. And maybe a darknut or two. And also a boss made up of a fat guy with a hammer and a skinny guy with a lightning spear.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
BotW was easy goty but BotW2 is gonna be game of the decade

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Larrymer posted:

Ya Ha Ha! You found it!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RZA Encryption posted:

Minish Cap is great and deserves a remake purely to get the amazing soundtrack in better quality than the Gameboy was capable of.

Minish Cap is so, so good -- I love shrinking as a gameplay mechanic and exploring normal areas at small sizes and all that, and it does what I love best about Zelda -- establishes a dynamic setting with tons of depth hidden in plain sight. The dungeons and power ups were cool and the bosses were neat, a blend of big boss monsters and regular monsters who are now gigantic to your tiny self.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Waltzing Along posted:

The divine beasts, all combined, had enough content for a single dungeon. BotW is an incredible game. But as a Zelda it's pretty bad.

It's definitely a dungeon but I know what you mean in a traditional Zelda sense. Basically my ideal dungeon would be all the entrances and hidden passages of Hyrule castle but with puzzles and keys and more minibosses like the Stalhinox as opposed to the relatively claustrophobic and linear structures of the Divine Beasts

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Make the entire overworld one massive dungeon.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Larrymer posted:

Please don't drop a rock on your wife's head :ohdear:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mega64 posted:

Make the entire overworld one massive dungeon.

I was so blown away in the tutorial when I chopped down a tree to make a log bridge across a river and then I never ended up needing to do it again lol. Eventide Island kind of captured that feel, though - I need to do the Master Sword trials because if I understand correctly it's the same kind of thing

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Dungeons following a certain design philosophy does not make a Zelda.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Here is my zelda hot take:

People fall in one of two camps, either they know and accept that botw is the greatest zelda ever made, or they are salty that their favorite zelda has been absolutely and definitively dethroned by the new zelda which takes a lot of what they like about their previous favorite and changed it or outright threw it out.

Run all zelda takes through this lens and they all make much more sense.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I’m a fan of all the people who decided that no game should be allowed to receive a 10/10 for some reason.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

goferchan posted:

I was so blown away in the tutorial when I chopped down a tree to make a log bridge across a river and then I never ended up needing to do it again lol. Eventide Island kind of captured that feel, though - I need to do the Master Sword trials because if I understand correctly it's the same kind of thing

You were supposed to do something like that? I hated the tutorial because I kept dying in the water and freezing to death, and I only stopped freezing to death by constantly eating mushrooms.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'm on a plane and I tried using my switch in a gooseneck mount attached to my tray table, but it shakes too much. 😥

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Here is my zelda hot take:

People fall in one of two camps, either they know and accept that botw is the greatest zelda ever made, or they are salty that their favorite zelda has been absolutely and definitively dethroned by the new zelda which takes a lot of what they like about their previous favorite and changed it or outright threw it out.

Run all zelda takes through this lens and they all make much more sense.

Na I just found it pretty boring after a while and had no motivation to carry on playing as the story was so weak.

Mario Odyssey is much better IMO, that game is just plain fun.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think Mark Brown had a great take on BotW's story compared to other open world games. In something like Skyrim all the wandering around you do is instead of the story--you're just putting it off until you feel like doing it, and then when you do do it it's just a normal linear video game story. In BotW, the outline of the story is "go fight Ganon when you're ready", and the actual exploring is you getting ready. So the story is sparse but the open world exploration is part of it instead of being orthogonal to it. Not everybody's cup of tea obviously.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I never liked the 3D Zelda formula so I guess that's why I liked BOTW. Especially after the last one I played was loving Skyward Sword. Going from mainline imprisonment and a terribly bad story to absolute freedom and a sparse narrative was a nice change.

Now that the 3DS is pretty much dead I wonder if we'll ever get a 2D topdown Zelda ever again? Maybe they'd entrust it to somebody else like how Minish Cap had help from Capcom.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

404notfound posted:

Please don't drop a rock on your wife's head :ohdear:

She gets sad when I do that but that's the best sound/reaction from them if you do.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Bloop posted:

As to the constant complaints that spirit orbs ain't poo poo - they are literally pieces of heart that are the common reward in every other 3d zelda game but with the added option to cash them for stamina instead.

I dislike the Shrines because they are devoid of context. The environment ceases to matter to me because I'm primarily just seeking out these shrines, which always take me to a sort of separate zone for puzzles. I'd have preferred actual in-context locations to get heart pieces from, or a return to Majora's Mask's style of having heart pieces represent the love and support of the people whose lives you improve through your heroism (as well as being treasures to find). Finding and completing Shrines in BOTW feels very "game-like" in a game that seems to want to draw me into its setting and world. There's no sense of awe or wonder with the Shrines for me because they all look and feel similar, even if the puzzles within are quite good.

It seems like a small thing, but it's one of a number of small things that made BOTW surprisingly unengaging for me.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Battle Chef Brigade is pretty neat and it's already washed away the bitter taste of Tiny Metal, which I wish I hadn't bought so I could also be playing Golf Story right now

Seconded, I had a good time over 7-8 hours with the campaign and the daily challenges give it a lot of replay value. I wish it had competitive multiplayer though.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I broke down and bought some PC games on the Steam sale. I’ve spent the first hour of the Fractured But Whole squinting at my TV screen wishing I was playing with the Switch in hands instead.

Rainway can’t come soon enough.

(I also bought Doom on Steam because A. I’m a monster and B. It’s only $15 loving dollars, goddamn)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Reality Loser posted:

You were supposed to do something like that? I hated the tutorial because I kept dying in the water and freezing to death, and I only stopped freezing to death by constantly eating mushrooms.

Yeah I don't think it's ever explicitly tutorialized but there's a river you'll probably want to cross in some forest and you see the old man chopping at a tree with an axe. If you cut down the tree next to him it'll fall across the river just so. Also if you find his shack there's a diary that tells you how to cook food that makes you temporarily cold-resistant, and then if you talk to him and cook him whatever food he's asking for he'll give you a tunic that also gives you cold resistance. I loved the tutorial honestly and it was kind of fun not having a paraglider, heights felt much scarier

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

lelandjs posted:

(I also bought Doom on Steam because A. I’m a monster and B. It’s only $15 loving dollars, goddamn)

The Switch version is missing the level editor too right? That's a real shame because it's pretty versatile and powerful even on consoles (you can set up all kinds of triggers and make your own multiplayer game objectives, Halo "Forge" style) and it would work great with the Switch touchscreen. I was pretty impressed with what people had done with it on PS4

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Barely being an hour or so into BotW and narrowly beating a Stone Talus in the Great Plateau with a big-rear end sword I just found is probably my favorite video game moment of the year

I'd rank BotW's intro as one of the absolute best of all time

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

lelandjs posted:

Rainway can’t come soon enough.

Wait what? I just got a Switch for Christmas and although it (and Mario) are phenomenal I've been lamenting the fact that I already own almost all the good games on WiiU or Steam already. This would solve that big thorn quite well.

Forbidden Donut
Mar 19, 2006
mmm....
Has there been any more news about the paid online service? I know it's supposedly 2018 but does that mean 1/1 or sometime later? I feel like if it was coming 1/1 we'd have gotten more info by now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Forbidden Donut posted:

Has there been any more news about the paid online service? I know it's supposedly 2018 but does that mean 1/1 or sometime later? I feel like if it was coming 1/1 we'd have gotten more info by now.

They just put out a press release that it's delayed again until Fall 2018

Edit: It looks like that wasn't official but some page on Nintendo Italy's site that was then changed again to unspecified 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

More plot, combine the small shrines into bigger ones, some sort of dungeon maybe, add equipment items you can get in them and bosses at the end of each one.

Wisdom

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is rabbids half off on the eshop yet?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

Now that the 3DS is pretty much dead I wonder if we'll ever get a 2D topdown Zelda ever again? Maybe they'd entrust it to somebody else like how Minish Cap had help from Capcom.

I’m pretty sure Aonuma confirmed that the 3DS Zelda team was moving over to the Switch and would continue on as usual.

It makes sense since I’m sure they’re seeing how well retro-style games are selling on the Switch. It’s gotta be a lot more cost effective to produce and release a game like Link Between Worlds than Breath of the Wild.

I would not be surprised to see a top-down Zelda game announced in 2018.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

cheetah7071 posted:

I think Mark Brown had a great take on BotW's story compared to other open world games. In something like Skyrim all the wandering around you do is instead of the story--you're just putting it off until you feel like doing it, and then when you do do it it's just a normal linear video game story. In BotW, the outline of the story is "go fight Ganon when you're ready", and the actual exploring is you getting ready. So the story is sparse but the open world exploration is part of it instead of being orthogonal to it. Not everybody's cup of tea obviously.

I mean yeah even the quote right before you fight Ganon points this out saying that Link may not have recovered his full power or all his memories but it doesn’t matter because courage need not be remembered because it is never forgotten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And then gently caress yes the main theme kicks in and you know it is on

• Locked thread