Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

howe_sam posted:

Minus the racism swipes that's basically my dad's take, the evil sports media is trying to tear down Caldwell because sports media hates the Lions reflexively.

No one in sports media will ever hate the Lions as much as Lions fans hate the Lions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
That's a strange take. Caldwell is a terrible coach as far as understanding football and how it works and what the point of the game is. But he seems like an ok dude and his players like him. maybe keep him around as team old guy who hangs around and people like ok.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My favorite part is that he thinks Mike Zimmer should be on the hot seat if Caldwell is.

https://twitter.com/Justin_Rogers/status/946045205219815427

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 27, 2017

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Henchman of Santa posted:

My favorite part is that he thinks Mike Zimmer should be on the hot seat if Caldwell is.

https://twitter.com/Justin_Rogers/status/946045205219815427

Zimmer and Caldwell earned the same amount of playoff spots in the last 2 years. Might as well fire Zimmer next week.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I got a Deandre Levy jersey in the spring when they were cheap.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Speleothing posted:

I got a Deandre Levy jersey in the spring when they were cheap.

Someone is becoming a savvy investor. :zoid:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you would be surprised at how many people love Jim Caldwell because he threw away a first round draft pick on a guard who has "good character" or if you're from Michigan maybe you wouldn't be.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Packers 2018:

Home:
MIN/DET/CHI, Arizona, San Francisco, Buffalo, Miami, Atlanta

Away:
MIN/DET/CHI, Los Angeles, Seattle, New England, New York/B, Washington

Woof that's a rough schedule.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
What’s the /B? They play the Jets in NJ I know because I will sadly spend too much money for a lovely stadium experience.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Wrong thread whoops

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Good Will Hrunting posted:

What’s the /B? They play the Jets in NJ I know because I will sadly spend too much money for a lovely stadium experience.

That's the Jets.

Washington is the NFCE team that we're playing that finished in the same divisional position we did.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I thought it was a typo but I guess it could mean New York B-team? Even though the Jets are better this year :laffo:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sorry, just a habit I picked up from reading TMQ years and years ago. He referred to the Giants as NY/A and the Jets as NY/B and it stuck to me I guess.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

I'm trying to find the comic of the Lions trying to fire Caldwell, but they can't because of his droopey face.

Does anyone have it?

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

SKULL.GIF posted:

Packers 2018:

Home:
MIN/DET/CHI, Arizona, San Francisco, Buffalo, Miami, Atlanta

Away:
MIN/DET/CHI, Los Angeles, Seattle, New England, New York/B, Washington

Woof that's a rough schedule.

After three straight games in Atlanta I'm relieved to see them going to Lambeau. This will also be Rodgers' first start at New England. That should be fun

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

SKULL.GIF posted:

Sorry, just a habit I picked up from reading TMQ years and years ago. He referred to the Giants as NY/A and the Jets as NY/B and it stuck to me I guess.

he still deploys Jersey A and Jersey B, calls the Eagles the Nesharim, calls the Patriots the Flying Elvii, calls Miami the Marine Mammals and Washington are still referred to as The Potomac Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Lions fans didn’t like Jim Schwartz because of reverse racism

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
season isn't over but bears are #29 by points scored. lowest since 2004 and chad hutchinson to david terrell

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

mastershakeman posted:

season isn't over but bears are #29 by points scored. lowest since 2004 and chad hutchinson to david terrell
Good Lord, sometimes I forget just how bad the Bears QB situation has been. loving hell.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Fenrir posted:

Good Lord, sometimes I forget just how bad the Bears QB situation has been. loving hell.

how can yo u ever forget the Year of Four Quarterbacks (hutchinson, krenzel, quinn and grossman) . 9 tds between them!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

he still deploys Jersey A and Jersey B, calls the Eagles the Nesharim, calls the Patriots the Flying Elvii, calls Miami the Marine Mammals and Washington are still referred to as The Potomac Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons

I see the column is still 80% autocomplete

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

SKULL.GIF posted:

I see the column is still 80% autocomplete

yup, though this week he ran an entire column of nothing but "Cosmic Thoughts" because he doesn't watch football on Christmas Eve

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Fenrir posted:

Jay Cutler is the best QB in Bears history by a country mile.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I can understand that sentiment if this was the pre-season. Zimmer was coming off a year where his team finished 3-8 and at the end it looked like his players were going off on their own trying to make a play.

But he ironed out the problems, and vastly improved the quality of the team throughout the year.

Caldwell isn't a bad coach, but he is like Marvin Lewis. He will get you to respectable finishes, but if you want your team to take the next step, he is probably not going to be the person to get you there.

The rub is the next coach you get could be much worse then Caldwell.

His take on Jason Garrett is 100% spot on though.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

The X-man cometh posted:

Jay Cutler is the best QB in Bears history by a country mile.

Well, at least since Luckman.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah but if youre luck man everything should be easier than for a normal person so does that even really count

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

OxySnake posted:

I can understand that sentiment if this was the pre-season. Zimmer was coming off a year where his team finished 3-8 and at the end it looked like his players were going off on their own trying to make a play.

But he ironed out the problems, and vastly improved the quality of the team throughout the year.

Caldwell isn't a bad coach, but he is like Marvin Lewis. He will get you to respectable finishes, but if you want your team to take the next step, he is probably not going to be the person to get you there.

Isn’t Garrett’s security entirely because of Jerry? I thought fans wanted him gone years ago.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

OxySnake posted:

So what you're saying is that Jim Caldwell is the Matt Stafford of head coaches?

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Matthew Stafford is elite and deserves better.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Shangri-Law School posted:

Matthew Stafford is elite and deserves better.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Shangri-Law School posted:

Matthew Stafford is roughly the #9 QB leaguewide and no one deserves the Lions.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Peter_Bukowski/status/946079842017120257

Thread is full of good video but I wanted to highlight this one.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

SKULL.GIF posted:

:psyduck:

Holy poo poo, that's just incomprehensibly bad. Why would you scheme your guys that far back when you're already down. Do you just want to give up free first downs forever?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't agree with the first tweet. Kendricks (LB) is in position to knock it down or pick it if he throws a bullet, and if he lobs it Smith would have recovered enough to at least knock it down.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
This is almost as funny as the two detroit D linemen blocking each other

Almost

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Lord of Hats posted:

:psyduck:

Holy poo poo, that's just incomprehensibly bad. Why would you scheme your guys that far back when you're already down. Do you just want to give up free first downs forever?

The idea with the Dom Capers defense is that, as you've repeatedly read, they bend but don't break. The goal is to create as many small offensive plays as possible ("bend"), to increase the chances of getting a turnover which can swing a game around, and to prevent an opposing offense from making a huge gain or score in one play ("break"). You might recall the 2010 campaign where the Packers had an okay defense but a nonstop flood of turnovers, or the 2014 NFCCG where we picked off Russell Wilson four times before the defense collapsed utterly.

There are several problems with this approach:

1. NFL offenses have become significantly better about protecting the ball over the past decade.
2. The defense bends all the way into the end zone and is infamously bad at third down stops and red zone defense.
3. Allowing frequent extended drives wears down the defense, which leads to breakdowns later on in the match.
4. When you have the most talented quarterback in the league, a defensive strategy that effectively amounts to "keep Rodgers off the field as long as possible" is...... not the greatest approach.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
The Packers line up the same way on 3rd and over 5 yards every single time and give up the same completion every single time, with at minimum the yardage + 2/3 yards.

I'd actually rather take 3rd and short (more in previous years with Micah and Casey in the slot corner positions, but still this year) because the way Capers plays any 3rd passing down is asinine every time. Haha isn't able to play to his strengths anymore. He's become sheepish and lovely and looks lost. I just refuse to accept that regression to this level is a physical thing, yet here we are. Damarious turned his season around and if Kevin King can stay healthy the two of them are a serviceable duo in situations where the pass rush can create any sort of pressure, but they still desperately need a Hayward type replacement for slot corner.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

The Lord of Hats posted:

Do you just want to give up free first downs forever?

Yep, this sounds like the Green Bay Packers defense.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/TomSilverstein/status/946508598540144640

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Bolt/Jordy-Nelson-wants-to-play-for-Green-Bay-Packers-in-2018-112817552
https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Bolt/Green-Bay-Packers-OLB-Clay-Matthews-not-worried-about-uncertain-future--112834225

quote:

However, the one thing Nelson does want to do is play out the rest of his contract. He has one-year remaining and he recently told Jason Wilde of the Wisconsin State Journal he does not want to get cut by the Packers if that's really an option.

“This is 10 (years). Obviously one more for sure,” Nelson replied when asked how much longer he wants to play. “Everyone wants to end playing out their contract. No one wants to get cut. So I think one more, and then I think at the end of that year I’ll analyze everything, evaluate how I feel, how the game is, and obviously what this organization wants to do.”

“I think it’s just been a weird year and it hasn’t worked for whatever reason,” Nelson said. “It’s not what you want; you want to win games. But I will say some of the wins we’ve had have been some of the more gratifying ones that I’ve had in my career, how everyone’s having to do their part instead of just relying on Aaron to do what he does — putting 35 on the board and we win by 14. So it’s had its positives. But you want to win all of them.”

quote:

But Matthews knows there have been rumblings about his future with the Packers as he will enter the final year the final year of his contract in 2018. Matthews does think about his future with the Packers, but he's not worried about it.

“I definitely think about my future, especially with a year left (on my contract),” Matthews said Wednesday afternoon per Jason Wilde of the Wisconsin State Journal. “Hopefully the Packers don’t give up on (this) pass-rusher. The reality is, I’ve got 80 sacks after nine years. I’ve got 11 (sacks) in 15 (career) playoff games, I mean, say what you want about (my) stats being down and what not, but the results speak for themselves. And, mind you, for two years I played inside linebacker.

“It’s something you think about. It’s not something you dwell on. I think about will I be able to play here for several more years or will I go somewhere else? At the same time, I’m approaching it as, I’ve still got a year left (here) until they let me know otherwise. Hopefully they don’t, though.”

“That’s always my goal every year – being out there for 16 games,” Matthews said. “Because I feel like if you put me out there for 16 games, then good things are going to happen. Whether that’s sacks, fumbles, fumble recoveries, interceptions, whatever it is – plays that need to be made will be made if I’m out there for all 16 games.”

• Locked thread