Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
I hate the holidays but I present to you my favorite Christmas Eve story:

Frederick Forsyth's The Shepherd, as read by Alan Maitland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Carth Dookie posted:

A Google search reveals that Australia has had a rather more extensive aircraft carrier history than I'd realized.

HMAS Melbourne carried jets for Australia up until the early 80s and had the dubious honor of being involved in not one, but two horribly fatal collisions with Australian and American ships which make the recent US Navy fuckups look tame in comparison.

:australia:

HMAS Albatross near Nowra has the Fleet Air Arm Museum which is easily worth a visit if you're ever in the Illawarra Region.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I had a cab driver once that claimed he was a deck hand aboard the Bonaventure.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

~Coxy posted:

HMAS Albatross near Nowra has the Fleet Air Arm Museum which is easily worth a visit if you're ever in the Illawarra Region.

Also HARS. I enjoyed HARS a lot more, it's very hands on.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Post-war France: had some bitchin' aircraft

Okinawa crash:

AIRSHIP KOMMIT:

Pretty sure this is a boner joke:

Given the mechanical history of the B-29, this is an approp joke (say it out loud:)

Something something North American Dragon:

I feel like this picture needs a caption, like "I see U tiny bitch"

The B-32 Dominator: America's unnecessary world's most advanced strategic bomber

This is actually just outside Gander - in 1946, a Sabena airlines DC-4 crashed, killing 27 while 16 passengers and one crew member survived. Apparently this airplane were filled with richers fleeing the Nazis with as much wealth as they could carry, and the rescue crews all retired shortly after.

SAR in a flying boat in Newfoundland. Apparently even this landing point was a mile long hike to bring survivors out; this was one of the first rescues to use helicopters.

Think this is what the kids are calling thicc

Flying over...something bombed

OK, now look at this picture. How the hell did it get there?

Hey China, it was called the tradewind :smuggo:

A good sharkmouth:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The Bf-110 was my favorite aircraft as a kid

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Spotted camo makes me happy

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

anyone nostalgic about WWII era aviation should have to fly 5,000 miles at 150 mph in a noisy metal box

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Ju-88 Love

This one has a BMW infection:

Thankfully, no GDCS

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 27, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
what is this setup out at edwards AFB?

I know there's this museum thing but those all look airworthy to me

I see a C-130, hawker hunter, F-111, B-1, C-141, C-47...E-6? a rivet joint and B-57, I don't know what the other ones are.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bewbies posted:

I see a C-130, hawker hunter, F-111, B-1, C-141, C-47...E-6? a rivet joint and B-57, I don't know what the other ones are.

Its the flight testing wing, they keep a couple aircraft around for various duties.

There is a B-2 in the hanger there.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 27, 2017

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Isn't this the B-36 that flew with a nuclear reactor inside to see if nuclear aircraft could become A Thing?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

beep-beep car is go posted:

Isn't this the B-36 that flew with a nuclear reactor inside to see if nuclear aircraft could become A Thing?

No, that's probably BM-033 / 492033 from the 7th Bombardment Wing

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

^^ beaten like the child of a suspected communist

beep-beep car is go posted:

No, this aircraft is one of the trainer/early production series, I think. The NB-36H looked like dis:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

bewbies posted:

I'm impressed as hell at that C-47. There are *still* C-47s in the USAF.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Nebakenezzer posted:

Something something North American Dragon:

Douglas. :eng101:

Much like the B-18 was a bomber based on the wings and engines of the DC-2, the B-23 Dragon was a bomber based on the DC-3.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

bewbies posted:

anyone nostalgic about WWII era aviation should have to fly 5,000 miles at 150 mph in a noisy metal box

Did it a bunch of times, but more like 2000 miles only. Would not trade the experience for the world. Still nostalgic about WWII era aviation.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bewbies posted:

That B1 is probably for parts, not sure about the others maybe future museam pieces?

There are some other fun things laying around just to the south.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.8159015,-117.8636008,115m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.8864036,-117.8679741,230m/data=!3m1!1e3

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Drones used for blood delivery in Rwanda

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5214895/Chrissy-Teigen-documents-woes-Tokyo-flight-Twitter.html posted:

Federal authorities are investigating how an unticketed passenger was able to board a flight in Los Angeles bound for Tokyo after the plane which was carrying 150 passengers including Chrissy Teigen and John Legend was forced to turn around mid-flight on Tuesday.

The 32-year-old model and her singer husband were passengers on All Nippon Airways flight 175, which took off from LAX at 11:30am and then arrived back at the terminal at 7:30pm when the pilot made the decision to turn the plane around due to a security breach.

That breach was a male passenger who at first was thought to be a stowaway but was later revealed to have boarded the wrong flight.
A spokesperson for the Los Angeles Police Department said that the incident was 'not a security issue.'
A look at the planned route for the aircraft versus its actual flight pattern shows that the plane veered off course roughly an hour into the journey, staying close to the coast of California rather than heading out into the Atlantic.

The plane would have been forced to fly for at least eight hours before it could land again safely at LAX due to the fact that it was carrying enough fuel for an 11-hour journey.
[Teigen] went on to write that she and the other passengers were informed as they returned to Los Angeles that all passengers would be forced to deplane, but were given little information about what caused the problem.

'They keep saying the person had a United ticket. We are on ANA. So basically the boarding pass scanner is just a beedoop machine that makes beedoop noises that register to nowhere,' tweeted Teigen as her plane made its way back to LAX on Tuesday.

Whoa, she's busted the whole thing wide open.

quote:

'There is a 20 minute interview before we can get off the plane!! ...' wrote Teigen.
The passengers were held on the plane for over an hour while police and federal agents investigated the incident and eventually taken by buses back to the main terminal, were they had been earlier that morning.

'Police were interviewing all the people seated around the mystery person once we got off the plane. ...' wrote Teigen.

And the worst part?

quote:

Lum also claimed that while she and other passengers received $200 vouchers, the individual who boarded the wrong flight got a $500 voucher.

So uhh that would be a bit annoying. I suppose you can't just fly on to Japan because Japan doesn't want a plane arriving with some random guy who wasn't meant to be on the plane and is on it for unknown reasons, so you have to send it back to LAX to work out if it's terrorism or stupidity?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently it was two brothers, one on united, the other on ANA but somehow one made his way onto the wrong plane and no one noticed for a while.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Pretty much a non story that happens with some frequency (though they generally catch it before pushback, often because someone is sitting where someone else is supposed to sit.) So of course the Daily Mail picks it up and runs with it, because pretty girl. All that's missing is how much her house is worth.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Oh hey, I met a dude who worked on that project. He was telling me how the planes have redundant control surfaces, and they built a computer vision system that watches the plane test each control surface before each flight. The servos they use usually fail in an extreme position; when that happens, the plane's avionics just deal with it until it can return home.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 28, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Plinkey posted:

Apparently it was two brothers, one on united, the other on ANA but somehow one made his way onto the wrong plane and no one noticed for a while.

quote:

'They keep saying the person had a United ticket. We are on ANA. So basically the boarding pass scanner is just a beedoop machine that makes beedoop noises that register to nowhere,' tweeted Teigen as her plane made its way back to LAX on Tuesday.

ANA and United have a joint venture and both operate flights flying LAX-NRT that depart at 10:45 am.
ANA175 - a 777: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANA175/history/20171227/1845Z/KLAX/RJAA
United 32 - a 787: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL32/history/20171227/1845Z/KLAX/RJAA

ANA175 is also known as United 7925. There were two United flights going from LAX to NRT departing at 10:45am. Are ANA flights handled by United on the ground at LAX?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If they schedule flights as well as United does everywhere else they're departing from adjacent gates. :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah knowing how United runs things on the ground I'm surprised this isn't a daily occurrence. :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

quote:

...Staying close to the coast of California rather than heading out into the Atlantic.

“Journalism.”

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Plinkey posted:

That B1 is probably for parts, not sure about the others maybe future museam pieces?

There are some other fun things laying around just to the south.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.8159015,-117.8636008,115m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.8864036,-117.8679741,230m/data=!3m1!1e3

The B1 is a test plane for future B1 mods. Edwards also has 2 B52s for the same reason.

Its also the only B1 that didn't have all its nuclear arming stuff removed and welded over as part of the START treaties, so it shows up in Clancy-esque books doing stupid stuff a lot.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

MrYenko posted:

“Journalism.”

:lol: I didn't notice that. The map even says Pacific on it :negative:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I was once on a plane where my seatmate got on the complete wrong flight heading to the wrong side of the continent. I was going to Vancouver and they were going to Winnipeg, Toronto or some loving thing. Basically the gate was some 60+ year old lady standing there waving people by, and there were 3 or 4 planes on the apron with all pax controlled by that single gate and only the flight attendant(s) once you got to the stairs to the AC. That kind of poo poo has to happen all the god drat time on commuter flights... although on an international I would have hoped it would have been a smidgen better. Should have known it wasn't.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
drat beedoop machines!! I knew they was frauds!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I vaguely remember a standard cabin announcement they used to give about "this is flight ### to Wherever, if you're not going to Wherever see a flight attendant now" but that doesn't seem to be a thing anymore. Wouldn't have necessarily caught this passenger either...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I mean if yo were in ANA economy and you were supposed to be in United economy you’d probably shut up too!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

hobbesmaster posted:

I mean if yo were in ANA economy and you were supposed to be in United economy you’d probably shut up too!

Well it's not like they'd savagely beat you and drag you off the ANA for coming clean, at least..

Save that for when you get seated on United.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xenoborg posted:

The B1 is a test plane for future B1 mods. Edwards also has 2 B52s for the same reason.

Its also the only B1 that didn't have all its nuclear arming stuff removed and welded over as part of the START treaties, so it shows up in Clancy-esque books doing stupid stuff a lot.

Eh, I worked out there on them for a while and I'm not sure. It's missing something very obvious which would designate it as a nuc model with hard points still in place and all. Unless you worked there more recently then me and they don't do that anymore for some reason.

It's probably 068 which was a pile of poo poo plane.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I'm on the B52 side, so I don't know the particulars of the B1 neutering. As part of NEW START there were a few LRUs that we removed from half the B52 fleet, and I thought a similar thing happened to B1 minus the Edwards one.

Edit: also both Edwards b52s are POSs because they don’t keep them in configuration, do mods without telling us, and just don’t do some tctos.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 28, 2017

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Kinda, just run out there and tell me if it's 68

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

hobbesmaster posted:

ANA and United have a joint venture and both operate flights flying LAX-NRT that depart at 10:45 am.
ANA175 - a 777: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANA175/history/20171227/1845Z/KLAX/RJAA
United 32 - a 787: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL32/history/20171227/1845Z/KLAX/RJAA

ANA175 is also known as United 7925. There were two United flights going from LAX to NRT departing at 10:45am. Are ANA flights handled by United on the ground at LAX?

Speaking of this, Air Canada runs flight AC557 and AC577 from LAX to YVR that take off within an hour of each other usually with gates next door to each other.

Its really loving confusing to me and I fly a ton.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Plinkey posted:

Kinda, just run out there and tell me if it's 68
A 2013 post from Above Top Secret (non-paranoid poster) has it as 85-0068.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Kinda looking forward to seeing that line in February. I'll be visiting that museum. :v: