Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

look if you have a better way to get bass out of this old tv im all ears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

e: nm

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

IPCRESS posted:

Fill your copper pipes with finely ground salt ($0.90/kg at Woolworths) when you're shaping them (unless you have a proper mandrel, then use that). They'll still kink if you're determined, so keep that in mind. Really don't use soldered or sweated joints.

Why no solder or sweating? Contamination?

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Kragger99 posted:

Okay, this video is one of the Trailer Park Boys, and what is supposed to make it funny is how OSHA it is. But the actor doing these "stunts" made me cringe in fear. Kind of surprised he agreed to do some of this.

Good stuff starts at about 1:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GRRaaH2_LY

proclick

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I hope you all spent this holiday season watching the ERI Safety Video classic: A Safety Carol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7veBZHrK0Qc

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Groda posted:

Why no solder or sweating? Contamination?

I don't do anything with stills, but I do work with a lot of copper since I do HVAC work.

The only thing I can think of is that oxidation stuff will form on the pipes when you heat them up, and that can flake off and get into other parts. Of course this is easily mitigated by running nitrogen or something through the lines while you braze.

Or its just one of those "More fittings = more leaks" line of thinking. Which isn't really true.

Also, if you're gonna bend copper, get soft copper, not the hard lines both those pictures were using.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

IPCRESS posted:

Fill your copper pipes with finely ground salt

HEY NONG MAN posted:

That's actually a really smart idea in a pinch.

:cripes: Does OSHA have regulations on bad puns?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Lead solder in a still will cause the lead to leach into your booze and poison you.

Lead free tin-silver solder (or brazing compound) however is perfectly safe for brewing equipment.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/silver-soldering-diy-brewing-vessel-upgrades.html

Alternatively instead of using a torch, you could GTAW weld all the joints. Never welded copper myself, sounds like a challenge though. Google says you need to buy special deoxidized copper if you're going to weld it.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Just do as the Romans did and explain the lead away as adding sweetness.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Powered Descent posted:

:cripes: Does OSHA have regulations on bad puns?
A good pun makes you laugh, a great pun makes you wanna die.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

A good pun makes you laugh, a great pun makes you wanna die.

*sigh*

No. A great pun is punishing.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Proteus Jones posted:

*sigh*

No. A great prune is pruneishing.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

oh that's a störtkruka

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://giant.gfycat.com/MassivePossibleBobwhite.webm

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

:stare:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

DRINK IT

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Russia?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

да товарищ

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Now use your dick.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
To be honest, I was much more worried about him losing his balance as he swiped his hand and falling forward, headfirst into the stream.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

NGL I spent a few seconds looking real close and making sure that wasn't a stiff prosthetic he was playing a prank with. It'd be a pretty good prank.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They did this on mythbusters. If your hand is slightly damp the extreme high heat flash boils the water and forms a protective vapour barrier around you hand.

They did it with molten lead

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

They did this on mythbusters. If your hand is slightly damp the extreme high heat flash boils the water and forms a protective vapour barrier around you hand.

They did it with molten lead

Yep! Called the Leidenfrost Effect. But for fucks sake don't wiggle your fingers when you do it. Just do it like most goons have sex. In. Out. Done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leidenfrost_effect

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Proteus Jones posted:

Yep! Called the Leidenfrost Effect. But for fucks sake don't wiggle your fingers when you do it. Just do it like most goons have sex. In. Out. Done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leidenfrost_effect

Wiggling your fingers is exactly how most goons have sex.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Trabant posted:

Wiggling your fingers is exactly how most goons have sex.

:perfect:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

e: wrong thread

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

When are people going to shut up about the Handmaid's Tale?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Clay Snood would be a great pseudonym for a part-time scooter racing driver.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That's no snood

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Just what degree of protection would that offer? Would it provide any protection for a blow heavy enough to break it?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Or Mordor. They're equivalently OSHA.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GotLag posted:

Just what degree of protection would that offer? Would it provide any protection for a blow heavy enough to break it?

At the very least, the shattering pottery would absorb some of the energy and leave less to break the skull. That being said, depending on how fragile it is you might end up shattering both.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's better than nothing unless you wind up with pottery shards embedded in your skull

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
it's a space station

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
His name is sheev.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Maybe he was high when he decided to wear that as a helmet. He does look like a bit of a pot head.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Modern terracotta warriors are far less impressive than their ancient brethren.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

*wilhelm scream followed by generic pottery breaking sound effect*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

GotLag posted:

Probably would work like bicycle helmets, designed to shatter and take the kinetic force away with the flying shards.

I prefer the impact absorption style of protection, myself.