Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Edge & Christian posted:

Did I miss something subtle? I'm pretty sure Doomsday Clock is crossing over with the Real Deal Holyfield Earth Prime/New-Earth/Earth-0 that is the basis of DC's whole publishing line, not the Earth-One OGN series.

Even if there was something I missed in issue 2 and it takes place on Earth-One, there have been so many clues/harbingers smeared across the first year of Rebirth that they're bound to dimension hop over there soon, if they're not there already.

Yeah is supposed to be set on the main universe but the way is depicted in Doomsday Clock is so different to what we've seen through Rebirth that it might as well be a different universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Edge & Christian posted:

Did I miss something subtle? I'm pretty sure Doomsday Clock is crossing over with the Real Deal Holyfield Earth Prime/New-Earth/Earth-0 that is the basis of DC's whole publishing line, not the Earth-One OGN series.

Even if there was something I missed in issue 2 and it takes place on Earth-One, there have been so many clues/harbingers smeared across the first year of Rebirth that they're bound to dimension hop over there soon, if they're not there already.

There is multiverse hopping. It might be crossing over to Rebirth Earth but it hasn't done it yet. The depiction of the world they went to in 2 is clearly not the world of Earth where Rebirth takes place. It really seems like Earth One, even beyond the art. This is not Lex Luthor who's been running around as Superman and would have been King of Apokalips in his Superman-suit. And the Batman is wearing Earth One's Batman outfit (or at least not Rebirth Batman's) or have his Batcave.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yeah is supposed to be set on the main universe but the way is depicted in Doomsday Clock is so different to what we've seen through Rebirth that it might as well be a different universe.

Not to be a negative nancy going "Heh, business as usual :smuggo:" but that sounds incredibly typical of a shared universe that has had hundreds of writers and artists working on it.

What is so different about it?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Roth posted:

Not to be a negative nancy going "Heh, business as usual :smuggo:" but that sounds incredibly typical of a shared universe that has had hundreds of writers and artists working on it.

What is so different about it?

You're right, usually shouldn't be a big thing but after being touted as the story that will finally explain the mysteries set up by Rebirth and other stories like the thing with Oz or Wally, it feels jarring that the DCU shown on Doomsday Clock has little to do with the rest of the line.

Besides the things pointed out by nofather, there's an entire subplot about people growing restless with the presence of superheroes in the world going so far to having protests against Batman in Gotham. I've heard a rumor that the discrepancies being due Doomsday's Clock being set a year after the current storylines but that is pretty lame if true.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Yes there seems to be political problems with Russia and Markovia. "The world's gone upside down because of the Supermen Theory. It may have started with Rex Mason and Kirk Langstrom, but now the mob is after you..." Apparently the world is heavy anti-vigilante at the moment, counting superheroes as those. This suggests there's no Justice League, as well.

But like someone pointed out there is world hopping, they just might not have gotten to Rebirth yet.

I wonder if Johns doesn't get Ozymandias or if its the tumor. I suspect the former.

nofather fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 27, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You're right, usually shouldn't be a big thing but after being touted as the story that will finally explain the mysteries set up by Rebirth and other stories like the thing with Oz or Wally, it feels jarring that the DCU shown on Doomsday Clock has little to do with the rest of the line.

Besides the things pointed out by nofather, there's an entire subplot about people growing restless with the presence of superheroes in the world going so far to having protests against Batman in Gotham. I've heard a rumor that the discrepancies being due Doomsday's Clock being set a year after the current storylines but that is pretty lame if true.

The already pulled that "this is set a year after" X with Countdown iirc. Idk why they'd do it again.

nofather posted:

Yes there seems to be political problems with Russia and Markovia. "The world's gone upside down because of the Supermen Theory. It may have started with Rex Mason and Kirk Langstrom, but now the mob is after you..." Apparently the world is heavy anti-vigilante at the moment, counting superheroes as those. This suggests there's no Justice League, as well.

But like someone pointed out there is world hopping, they just might not have gotten to Rebirth yet.

I wonder if Johns doesn't get Ozymandias or if its the tumor. I suspect the former.

I'd guarantee it's the former.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
After yesterday's binge through irredeemable/incorruptible, omega men is a breath of fresh fuckin air lol

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Android Blues posted:

I can't imagine anything I want less in a comic than Lex Luthor and Ozymandias simmering at each other ominously.

I thought the pairing was pretty fun.

As for it not feeling like Prime Earth, I'm sure Geoff is more interested in making the themes hit Mr. Future "This is my second GRAPHIC NOVEL after Watchmen" Guy than really conveying a genuine feeling of the Rebirth world.

I guess if he wanted the DCU to start getting infected by the Watchmen World 80's cold war paranoia, I'll absolutely take it just popping up here than everyone else setting that up for him in the regular comics.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 27, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's absolutely better because then I can just not read Doomsday Clock and it won't mess up the good comics I do read

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just adding to the whole, Bruce Wayne is the second smartest man in the world thing isn't something most of the world is supposed to know. It's pretty firmly established in continuity that Bruce Wayne is seen as playboy who inherited his wealth and hires good people to run his businesses because he makes an effort of making himself look like a jackass all the time to get people off the Batman trail. There's a couple other individuals that would show up on a Google search before him if they searched world's smartest people.

I did like Luthor making GBS threads on Ozymandias because that's a good summation of the plan from Watchmen.

I like the Mime and the Marionette because they're amusing weirdos and renditions of Charlton Comics characters, gender swapped though, but I don't really think Watchmen needed this.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I like the Mime and the Marionette because they're amusing weirdos and renditions of Charlton Comics characters, gender swapped though, but I don't really think Watchmen needed this.

They're basically a D plot that should've been dropped unless presented otherwise.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xelkelvos posted:

They're basically a D plot that should've been dropped unless presented otherwise.

I think that sums up Doomsday Clock up to this point. I see where they're going with bringing them along after this issue but it's been pretty unnecessary as an event/series.

I think this event will be remembered as the time Johns thought he was Grant Morrison or his equal. Either that or Johns just really hates Alan Moore and is doing this as a gently caress you to him making GBS threads on Blackest Night and lots of DC stuff in the last decades.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I think this event will be remembered

Agree to disagree, I guess

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

It's probably a safe bet that there's no unrevealed point to them for the next ten issues. They'll just show Doc. M a baby photo at the end and that'll be that.

edit: I liked that panel where she's coming at the dude mid flip. Reminded me of Pris from Blade Runner.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 27, 2017

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Between issues 1 and 2 i had already forgotten who they were and thought they were some lame joker wannabes being introduced

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's probably a safe bet that there's no unrevealed point to them for the next ten issues. They'll just show Doc. M a baby photo at the end and that'll be that.

They're going to break out, commit a crime, and get the attention of the Joker (who seems to be a presence in #5, if covers are anything, which they aren't)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

nofather posted:

if covers are anything, which they aren't

They're literally 'things', being the first panel of the comic.

edit: Admittedly issue 2 could have kicked off with something a bit more more iconic than a box of clothes on the ground.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 28, 2017

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Teenage Fansub posted:

They're literally 'things', being the first panel of the comic.

edit: Admittedly issue 2 could have kicked off with something a bit more more iconic than a box of clothes on the ground.

Hehe. I just meant they are often misleading, in regards to who is in the comic and what may be happening.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nofather posted:

They're going to break out, commit a crime, and get the attention of the Joker (who seems to be a presence in #5, if covers are anything, which they aren't)

They landed in an abandoned amusement park. They're probably parked on the Joker's front lawn and there's going to be a panel of them jumping out of the Owlship with a pair of purple, pinstripe pants or jacket framed to the side to show the Joker watching. It's that loving cookie cutter.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Doomsday Clock is set a year after the current status quo of the DCU. They announced that during Comic-Con. That means it's set a year after Metal, and after the current King storylines with Catwoman, and the Tomasi ones with Superboy, and the whatever other issues are on stands this month. They deliberately made it that way so that it would not interfere with all the books going on now, which is one of the smartest things they could do. For someone who's been posting so many interviews and articles about this event, D_T, you'd think that's something you should've picked up on.

I thought the issue was perfectly fine for what it was, a slow-burn mystery getting more and more intriguing over the pages. Not one of my favorite events so far, but certainly the hell better than a lot of others we've been assaulted with over the years from Marvel and DC. Confirmation bias is a helluva thing here, and believe me I would know; if you're going into this story being on the constant alert for any ammo you can use to fuel whatever lolJohns Hot Take you're dying to write after the read, then that's exactly all you'll get from this.

Anyway, sidebar. If you're at all a fan of literally any of the leading Green Lanterns from the old days -- that's Hal, John, Guy, and Kyle -- then you absolutely needed to be reading Hal Jordan and the GLC since, like, last year. Detective Comics gets a lot of rep from me for its consistent readability, but this is the only other DC book imo that has kept up its promised standards since Rebirth started. Imagine Tomasi's awesome old Green Lantern Corps series, but one that also focuses on John and Hal instead of just Guy and Kyle. The series juggles a lot of balls and they don't always land perfectly, but Venditti clearly has a great love for these characters and the series is at its best when keeping plots simple and straightforward like they were this week, in order to just focus on showing these boys being gung-ho Lanterns and why they're so awesome.

Yes, all of them, including Hal. I like Hal now. This book made me like Hal. It's preposterous.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrianWilly posted:

For someone who's been posting so many interviews and articles about this event, D_T, you'd think that's something you should've picked up on.

Did the headlines say anything about Jason Todd? Because he doesn't really give a poo poo if not.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hawkman Lost is just about the most unnecessary comic I can recall.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Death of Hawkman says hi.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Pointless but better than a lot of other stuff on the stands.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

I assume that had some sort of plot and/or events occurring.

I'm guessing his perpetual hell existence is going to be recounted just fine in one page of Metal.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 28, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I assume that had some sort of plot and/or events occurring.

I assume someone somewhere might have actually read Hawkman Lost though since it's a tie-in to an event.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

X-O posted:

This was a bad book.

Just finiahed Dial H. The book was pretty good until the last 2 rushed issues.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I was just perusing a review that said the quality of James Robinson's work on Wonder Woman is on par with Meredith Finch's work on WW -- "the work of a writer who had never solo-scripted a single comic book issue, let alone a multi-issue arc. It is staggering how bad it is, coming from a writer with such a long history in the industry."

I've got my own confirmation biases but, hey, I can't say I disagree.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Death of Hawkman can basically be summed up by it starting off with a Flash Forward to Adam Strange and Hawkman injured and fighting side-by-side in a war between Rann and Thanagar, then flashing back to both of them investigating mysterious goings-on and people acting out of character trying to start a war between Rann and Thanagar. They spend about half of the mini-series trying to figure out who's behind all of this, and it turns out it's Despero, who is on the cover of the first issue.

The war was a distraction on the part of Despero to um... something to do with him using the Zeta Beam to infuse his body with Nth Metal to become even more powerful. He does this, but Hawkman realizes if he overloads Despero with too much Nth metal, it will stop him, because the entire plot is made of fart machines. Hawkman shoots all of the Nth metal in his body out somehow and it overloads Despero and Adam Strange makes the Zeta Beam explode and all that is left is Hawkman's dessicated Nth Metal Free bones and Adam Strange is gone and presumed dead.

EPILOGUE 1: Adam Strange is stuck INSIDE the Zeta Beam, but is going to find a way out!
EPILOGUE 2: Despero is now made entirely out of Nth metal and is basically the T-1000 on top of every other power he has.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Scott Snyder's Swamp-Thing was good until Rotworld started.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

This was a bad book.

Just finiahed Dial H. The book was pretty good until the last 2 rushed issues.

It's a shame Dial H came out as a New 52 Book and not made later as a Young Animal book.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Roth posted:

You reading Animal Man with it?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

You reading Animal Man with it?

I read through the trade with the entire run. Still haven't bought Animal Man but it's on the list

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Edge & Christian posted:

Death of Hawkman can basically be summed up by it starting off with a Flash Forward to Adam Strange and Hawkman injured and fighting side-by-side in a war between Rann and Thanagar, then flashing back to both of them investigating mysterious goings-on and people acting out of character trying to start a war between Rann and Thanagar. They spend about half of the mini-series trying to figure out who's behind all of this, and it turns out it's Despero, who is on the cover of the first issue.

The war was a distraction on the part of Despero to um... something to do with him using the Zeta Beam to infuse his body with Nth Metal to become even more powerful. He does this, but Hawkman realizes if he overloads Despero with too much Nth metal, it will stop him, because the entire plot is made of fart machines. Hawkman shoots all of the Nth metal in his body out somehow and it overloads Despero and Adam Strange makes the Zeta Beam explode and all that is left is Hawkman's dessicated Nth Metal Free bones and Adam Strange is gone and presumed dead.

EPILOGUE 1: Adam Strange is stuck INSIDE the Zeta Beam, but is going to find a way out!
EPILOGUE 2: Despero is now made entirely out of Nth metal and is basically the T-1000 on top of every other power he has.

Yeah it was awful. The Adam Strange bits were good, but the rest was a disaster.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Roth posted:

Hey now, the series came back strong and even had one of the better Futures End stories.

Anyone looking for a better alternate-future-DCU than Doomsday Clock needs to check out Gotham City Garage cuz it's pretty great. But I'm also enjoying Doomsday Clock, so what do I know.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Does Lex "40 Cakes" Luthor really get to criticize bad plans?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Space Fish posted:

Anyone looking for a better alternate-future-DCU than Doomsday Clock needs to check out Gotham City Garage cuz it's pretty great.

I think Injustice is still winning for over the top and awesome moments, but I loved Lois channeling Spider Jerusalem in Garage. I'm a big fan of these digital-first or exclusive series, they've had some nice ones that have ended.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheHan posted:

Does Lex "40 Cakes" Luthor really get to criticize bad plans?

Yes because while his plans were bad they were not intended to create world peace.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

McCloud posted:

Bruce Wayne isn't generally considered smart, is he? Especially not Luthor smart.

iirc mr terrific is meant to be the world's smartest person so i dunno what that is about. i assume veidt has access to information making it clear wayne is batman, which is what would justify putting bruce as one of the smartest two people (terrific is possibly more specialised towards science rather than the all-round genius bruce and lex have).

issue of doomsday clock was alright, except for the reveal at the end. i didn't want the comedian back. even veidt i was in two minds about. on the other hand, the art in this series so far is loving great. i wasn't familiar with gary frank before but he has impressed me a lot here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Space Fish posted:

Hey now, the series came back strong and even had one of the better Futures End stories.

Anyone looking for a better alternate-future-DCU than Doomsday Clock needs to check out Gotham City Garage cuz it's pretty great. But I'm also enjoying Doomsday Clock, so what do I know.

GCG is probably the best one right now. Beyond is okay.