Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Tuned my cards around the same. +100 core clock, +400 mem, 80% power limit. Their hash per watt goes up significantly with not much loss in overall hashing power.

e: The NiceHash complacency is pretty entertaining. Best of luck to those still using them.

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PerrineClostermann posted:

My cards ran at around that temperature. Gpus are made for that, iirc.

To further answer the question people are also flashing their card's with a 3rd party BIOS image to run outside of the GPU's design parameters for an extra 10% hash, which is what can really gently caress things up for someone who wants to use the card later

And no the consumer-grade cards are actually not designed to run at full load 24/7, NVidia's warranty terms even say so

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

tehinternet posted:

*shrug*

It’s basically bonus money, so if this doesn’t work out, I’ll swap over to mining an AltCoin directly.

E: worst case scenario, I build another PC for my kids, it’s not a big money risk we’re talking here

Do you not pay for electricity or something? If Nicehash winds up never paying you then you're basically just burning a bunch of power for their benefit

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

QuarkJets posted:

Do you not pay for electricity or something? If Nicehash winds up never paying you then you're basically just burning a bunch of power for their benefit

$0.075/kWh, 600W total draw including fans and system (I have it all hooked up to a Kill a watt strip). $1.08 a day is a loss I can eat if need be. Hardly the end of the world.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im getting solar installed and a power wall next year. The estimate from the consultation says I can easily afford to run a few rigs off the excess power from the panels. Free money 4ever

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

tehinternet posted:

$0.075/kWh, 600W total draw including fans and system (I have it all hooked up to a Kill a watt strip). $1.08 a day is a loss I can eat if need be. Hardly the end of the world.

Cool would you mind paypaling me $30/month? I promise to pay you back with 50% interest at the end of next year, I'm good for it

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

QuarkJets posted:

Cool would you mind paypaling me $30/month? I promise to pay you back with 50% interest at the end of next year, I'm good for it

Plz post ur email

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

Im getting solar installed and a power wall next year. The estimate from the consultation says I can easily afford to run a few rigs off the excess power from the panels. Free money 4ever

Just remember to double the power in the summer, to account for the AC needed to offset the heating.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Just lol if you dont have your rigs in a bedrock mining cave for all natural green cooling

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

1gnoirents posted:

Just lol if you dont have your rigs in a bedrock mining cave for all natural green cooling

I do have a stream at the back of my house, I guess if I ran my PC outside with extension cords, put it in a 5 gallon bucket, sealed the holes for the cables with caulk, filled the whole bucket with mineral oil, put a lid on it, and dropped it in the stream, I'd have some sweet permanent liquid cooling.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

1gnoirents posted:

Could you throw all your rigs in water-proof boxes or containers and place in a swimming pool using water-proof cables to power? Or barring that setup one of those big circular portable pools?

Guess it would be a little dicey having to get into the water once in a while to replace a bad box...

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Fauxtool posted:

Or sell the power back to the grid and actually do something useful for society.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's that famous (?) pic set of the guy who tore up his whole backyard to create a geothermal radiator.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Or sell the power back to the grid and actually do something useful for society.

The trend lately has been for power companies to lobby states to let them pay wholesale rates for consumers running the meter backwards, so it may well be more financially advantageous for him to burn that power himself than to benefit society.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Why aren't you doing that?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

The trend lately has been for power companies to lobby states to let them pay wholesale rates for consumers running the meter backwards, so it may well be more financially advantageous for him to burn that power himself than to benefit society.

I have that deal with my panels and I would still rather have the excess go back to the grid rather than be an idiothellfucker with this idiocy

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

I have that deal with my panels and I would still rather have the excess go back to the grid rather than be an idiothellfucker with this idiocy

I'd only do that if they paid me what they bill me per kW/hr. gently caress 'em.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

You're not maintaining a massive and complex electrical distribution system so: No.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think I broke out of their normal negotiating script because I bought and installed everything myself and no one at the power company was expecting that so had no idea what to do and was able to get paid the same rate they charge. There's no benefit to using more power or only using it certain times of day for me. Leave nothing on during the day and time shift all those earnings to the night when everyone's home. The standard way they pay people in my city is some percentage of the cost of the power generated, I think something like 70-80% of the cost.

Based on my experience they probably have room to negotiate and it might be worth calling them every few months and trying to get a better deal. Power is still 21 cents/kwh, but at least I don't need to think about how I'm using power at all.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
What's the best way to tell what coin/miner I should use? I've been using OneClickMiner for Vertcoin with my 1070 but maybe switching to MiningPoolHub is better?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

You're not maintaining a massive and complex electrical distribution system so: No.

Nope. But, they could incentivize the payback rate to get more people contributing back in to the grid to reduce their costs. There's very little incentive to feed back in to the grid with the current state of affairs and it is more beneficial to myself to completely cut ties with the power company(can't because of monopolistic ordinances :v:). Therefore I'm still reducing pollution by saying gently caress you to the power company and generating/storing my own electricity.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

You sound upset about video cards. Take a breather, go outside

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

I do have a stream at the back of my house, I guess if I ran my PC outside with extension cords, put it in a 5 gallon bucket, sealed the holes for the cables with caulk, filled the whole bucket with mineral oil, put a lid on it, and dropped it in the stream, I'd have some sweet permanent liquid cooling.

I like the cut of your gib

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
loving lol at someone discussing "useful to society" in this thread

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

You sound upset about video cards. Take a breather, go outside

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
So you would tell the electrical company instead to "gently caress you got mine?"
:thunk:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress the power company and them charging me more per whatever for higher usage.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

KingKapalone posted:

What's the best way to tell what coin/miner I should use? I've been using OneClickMiner for Vertcoin with my 1070 but maybe switching to MiningPoolHub is better?

Mining Pool Hub is supposedly pretty great if you can be arsed to set up the multiminers and stuff.

I’ve only mined Ethereum and Siacoins directly, so I can’t say, but for what I’ve tried, it’s a solid pool, and you can exchange your earnings for other coins.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Axe-man posted:

So you would tell the electrical company instead to "gently caress you got mine?"
:thunk:

I am pretty sure power companies are being two-faced about it. Crediting people for net metering just for the PR value, when they in fact they want to make it as low-paying and obnoxious as they can because they want solar to fail, for obvious reasons.

I'm fine with people telling the power companies to gently caress-off even when they're in a position to sell electricity back. I just hope I live long enough to see them all go bankrupt decades from now when a full roof of solar panels and a dozen power walls cost a few hundred bucks.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Zero VGS posted:

I am pretty sure power companies are being two-faced about it. Crediting people for net metering just for the PR value, when they in fact they want to make it as low-paying and obnoxious as they can because they want solar to fail, for obvious reasons.

I'm fine with people telling the power companies to gently caress-off even when they're in a position to sell electricity back. I just hope I live long enough to see them all go bankrupt decades from now when a full roof of solar panels and a dozen power walls cost a few hundred bucks.

Indeed, technology will solve all our problems. Have you heard of the Singularity, friend?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Peachfart posted:

Indeed, technology will solve all our problems. Have you heard of the Singularity, friend?

There's nothing new about the technology, it's the economy of scale that will solve all our problems.

Solar panel pricing has dropped a tremendous amount in the last decade due to China pumping them out, and Tesla opened the largest battery factory in the world (I believe the largest factory, period). Give it a while more and it won't make financial sense for new houses to be built without a panel array and fuckoff-huge battery.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does anyone still make a reference rx 580?

I dont really like how the open air coolers dump hot air into the case which then moves through the air cooled cpu. If this was an open air milk crate it would be fine but I cant have that on my desk at work. It needs to fit in my case, and blowers would probably be perfect. To be clear im the boss, its my business and im not stealing power from my job.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Fauxtool posted:

I dont really like how the open air coolers dump hot air into the case which then moves through the air cooled cpu. If this was an open air milk crate it would be fine but I cant have that on my desk at work. It needs to fit in my case, and blowers would probably be perfect. To be clear im the boss, its my business and im not stealing power from my job.

sorry but in trump america the corporation is more important then you, also put in a case fan or three and it will be fine I think.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its a fractal meshify with 4 case fans. Any more airflow would be an open air case.

I think I may just have to get a CLC instead.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

There's nothing new about the technology, it's the economy of scale that will solve all our problems.

Solar panel pricing has dropped a tremendous amount in the last decade due to China pumping them out, and Tesla opened the largest battery factory in the world (I believe the largest factory, period). Give it a while more and it won't make financial sense for new houses to be built without a panel array and fuckoff-huge battery.

Yes. Now this is what I'm talkin' about.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Zero VGS posted:

Tesla is a scam for dumb nerds, and as someone who lives in Seattle, solar will never make sense on your average home here. We have cheap power and lots of clouds.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Fauxtool posted:

One RX580 will do nothing to your airflow, set your fans to a specific speed and forget about it. The blowers are screamers, you want none of that. Well maybe you do, but that high pitch noise is awful at load.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Risky Bisquick posted:

One RX580 will do nothing to your airflow, set your fans to a specific speed and forget about it. The blowers are screamers, you want none of that. Well maybe you do, but that high pitch noise is awful at load.

AMD blowers are the most obnoxious thing. I had a couple 480s in a rig and when I toggled them to full speed I could hear them a couple rooms over - as in, one time I toggled them from 70% to 100% and the dog perked up at the leafblower that had erupted.

On the NVIDIA side, I have a pair of 1070 ref blowers in a rig I keep in my living room and they're fine even at 100% fan speed.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 28, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Peachfart posted:

Tesla is a scam for dumb nerds

that's a spicy take fam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Peachfart posted:

Tesla is a scam for dumb nerds

Speculating on TSLA stock is for dumb nerds, Tesla themselves are terrifying the large car manufacturers, to the point where Detroit automakers are planting union shills at Tesla to disrupt them and lobbing to prevent Tesla from selling direct-to-customer in many states.

I drive an electric car and they are loving great, as you'll hear from virtually anyone who has one. It's not some tree-hugger conspiracy, they are quiet and save a shitton of money, both on fuel and on the near complete lack of maintenance.

I'm not even a total fan of Tesla, they run their stores like loving Apple and are equally walled-garden about their products. They've even tried to "brick" salvage cars over-the-air and restrict replacement parts, though to be fair they probably want to avoid an electrocution/fire lawsuit. On the other hand, they have the best engineers on the planet, just launched the fastest production car on the planet (with YouTube videos to prove it), they have a tremendous head-start on autonomous cars vs the competition, they put out a big-rig with range so good and a price so low that people doubted it could be legit (one of the largest logistics companies has been test driving them and says they're the real deal) and last but not least the Model 3 production is ramping up and has 310 miles range while being middle-class affordable.

So what's the scam? Yeah, some people live in apartment buildings so they can't plug it in at night, that and lack of education are the only things holding electric cars back.

Peachfart posted:

and as someone who lives in Seattle, solar will never make sense on your average home here. We have cheap power and lots of clouds.

:cmon:

http://www.seattle.gov/light/solarenergy/ posted:

Does Solar Energy work in Seattle?

Absolutely!

Seattle City Light customers are installing solar equipment on their homes and businesses - and in greater numbers every year. While we are known for our cloudy skies, Seattle receives more sunlight than Germany, the world's leading solar market.

Not to mention that TVs, PCs, heat pumps and lighting keep getting more efficient and the overall power demands of the average home will continue to fall substantially.

Lastly, your power ain't that cheap.

• Locked thread