Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rumda posted:

Na it was written by an American.

No it wasn't. That's so British its teeth are falling out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

AlbieQuirky posted:

That's true, but the meme was about :britain:
it was until the last bit('gasoline' and 'cell phones' aren't used by British English)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No it wasn't. That's so British its teeth are falling out.

That's a hilarious stereotype considering we get mostly free dental care (although the conservatives have a problem with that) and the US healthcare system has been turbofucked for 200 years.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I thought it comes from the fact that less people get orthodontics done outside of the US which makes some Americans associate crooked teeth with bad dental hygiene?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Hell yeah this rules

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Panfilo posted:

I thought it comes from the fact that less people get orthodontics done outside of the US which makes some Americans associate crooked teeth with bad dental hygiene?

Pretty sure it's this yea, just because teeth aren't sparkling white doesn't mean they are bad.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Orthodontics != whitening

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Panfilo posted:

It's one of those rare examples of perfectly symmetrical racism - "American teeth" is a flat out pejorative (meaning unearthly white) and any British celebrities who get veneers when they move to the states is soundly mocked.

The UK actually has extraordinarily low numbers of fillings, but when someone is cracking jokes about English teeth it's really hard to bring that up without looking petulant and whiny.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's one of those rare examples of perfectly symmetrical racism - "American teeth" is a flat out pejorative (meaning unearthly white) and any British celebrities who get veneers when they move to the states is soundly mocked.

The UK actually has extraordinarily low numbers of fillings, but when someone is cracking jokes about English teeth it's really hard to bring that up without looking petulant and whiny.

An extraordinary low number of fillings could also mean you just let them rot from the inside out though.

Americans are wet for straight white teeth though. At least Trump's dentures look realistic and are white because with all the close-ups of his face it'll really be gross if he had John McCain teeth.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

I'll let you know when we stop sucking...

Emigrated but she still suckin

Trig Discipline has a new favorite as of 01:04 on Dec 28, 2017

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I ain't gonna screenshot it because it's rude but why would you post pics of your pink eye infection on facebook

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

The Snoo posted:

I ain't gonna screenshot it because it's rude but why would you post pics of your pink eye infection on facebook

don;t kinkshame dude

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Voyager I posted:

You can want TB to disappear from the internet without wanting him to literally die of cancer, c'mon goons.

I really don’t care about TB dying after he made a recording asking for his followers to harass me off the Internet and hurt me, complete with implying he’d like me dead. Over a tombstone in a video game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Arivia posted:

I really don’t care about TB dying after he made a recording asking for his followers to harass me off the Internet and hurt me, complete with implying he’d like me dead. Over a tombstone in a video game.

I fully believe videogame nerds would get that worked up about a videogame but what was the flimsy justification?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Arivia posted:

Whaaaat?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Len posted:

I fully believe videogame nerds would get that worked up about a videogame but what was the flimsy justification?

A backer snuck a transphobic joke into Pillars of Eternity’s backer headstones. I saw it, pointed it out to I think Josh Sawyer on Twitter, and Obsidian removed the joke. This was at the height of Gamergate, and TotalBiscuit and the other GG idiots deemed it to be “censorship.”

I STILL have people trying to reset my passwords and break into my Facebook profile after TB targeted me for “ruining gaming.”

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Arivia posted:

A backer snuck a transphobic joke into Pillars of Eternity’s backer headstones. I saw it, pointed it out to I think Josh Sawyer on Twitter, and Obsidian removed the joke. This was at the height of Gamergate, and TotalBiscuit and the other GG idiots deemed it to be “censorship.”

I STILL have people trying to reset my passwords and break into my Facebook profile after TB targeted me for “ruining gaming.”

the best part about that is when obsidian contacted that backer and asked him to change it to something else, he was fine with that and made no real kerfuffle over changing it

so those morons were literally getting mad on behalf of someone who wasn't even bothered about being 'censored'

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

the best part about that is when obsidian contacted that backer and asked him to change it to something else, he was fine with that and made no real kerfuffle over changing it

so those morons were literally getting mad on behalf of someone who wasn't even bothered about being 'censored'

Nah, he made some statements about how he didn't think it was right but he knew he didn't have a choice. So he changed it to insult me and other "SJWs." Which is honestly whatever, I can take some ice burn in a video game. I just wanted the transphobic joke gone.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Panfilo posted:

Whaaaat?

I hope this isn't an expression of actual surprise that $youtube_videogame_person is a shitfuck human being

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Brother Entropy posted:

This happened with the NASA dude who wore the women in bikinis shirt. He didn't realize it would be offensive, felt awful and apologized deeply when people complained, but the MRA crowd still couldn't let it go. How dare those women make a man feel bad?

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
Was it just women in bikinis? That sounds...really petty so I hope there's more.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Arivia posted:

Nah, he made some statements about how he didn't think it was right but he knew he didn't have a choice. So he changed it to insult me and other "SJWs." Which is honestly whatever, I can take some ice burn in a video game. I just wanted the transphobic joke gone.

ahh okay, i guess i misremembered since you'd obviously have a better memory of how all that went down

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

zidane13 posted:

Was it just women in bikinis? That sounds...really petty so I hope there's more.

He wore it in a broadcast interview which was the issue I guess? I hadn't heard of it until just now http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-goldberg-rosetta-scientist-shirtgate-feminists-20141118-column.html

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

An old manager of mine on Facebook:

quote:

If your upset about the new tax bill because some rich guy gets more back then u u might have a little too much envy in your soul be happy u get a break and don't worry about others

Are you loving kidding me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

zidane13 posted:

Yeah, he wore a shirt in a bunch of prominent interviews when NASA launched something cool. The shirt was one of those Hawaiian types which had a bunch of women on it in bikinis, but it was all in like 80s sci fi style so it had an ironically cool element to it above and beyond just being half-naked women. People said hey this isn't appropriate for a prominent scientist to be wearing in a really public science event and called out NASA..

He completely agreed with them, apologized saying it was a gift, and said he wouldn't do it again. It was honestly just a regular NASA nerd dude wearing the kinds of shirts nerds do without thinking about it and causing an accidental issue.

As Push El Burrito pointed out, the MRAs got pissed feminists were stepping on men's sexuality despite the actual guy in question being completely apologetic.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

ahh okay, i guess i misremembered since you'd obviously have a better memory of how all that went down

You didn't remember wrongly. He did one reponse like you suggested just to try and downplay it, and then said what I brought up when he talked on r/KotakuInAction and the other GG hotspots. He was basically talking out of both sides of his mouth.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Arivia posted:

Yeah, he wore a shirt in a bunch of prominent interviews when NASA launched something cool. The shirt was one of those Hawaiian types which had a bunch of women on it in bikinis, but it was all in like 80s sci fi style so it had an ironically cool element to it above and beyond just being half-naked women. People said hey this isn't appropriate for a prominent scientist to be wearing in a really public science event and called out NASA..

He completely agreed with them, apologized saying it was a gift, and said he wouldn't do it again. It was honestly just a regular NASA nerd dude wearing the kinds of shirts nerds do without thinking about it and causing an accidental issue.

As Push El Burrito pointed out, the MRAs got pissed feminists were stepping on men's sexuality despite the actual guy in question being completely apologetic.

Iirc the shirt in question was a (handmade?) gift from a female friend so he thought it'd be neat to wear it to the interview, not thinking about the fact that having a shirt like that when you are currently acting as the public face of an organization or field that has a long history of complaints about sexism, misogyny and just being generally hostile to women isn't a good look.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/maryellenmurr/status/945844439028785152

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ruining the artistic integrity and dramatic legacy of the prequels, smdh

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Len posted:

He wore it in a broadcast interview which was the issue I guess? I hadn't heard of it until just now http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-goldberg-rosetta-scientist-shirtgate-feminists-20141118-column.html

this is the greatest shirt i have ever seen

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Scathach posted:

An old manager of mine on Facebook:

Are you loving kidding me.

I removed him when I got fired for requesting a real schedule and not being on call 24/7 but the owner of the small business I used to work for went on a rant about a woman with no visible disability being in a store with a service animal and took pictures of his cart with a stuffed animal in it as his service animal.

Christ dude was a shitheel I'm glad I don't work for him anymore.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
its a good shirt, but what elevates it is the context. if i saw some random nerd wearing that walking down the street i might laugh a little, but in a NASA interview? loving hilarious.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I was BANNED 🔨😖🤦‍♂️ from my local super smash 🥊💥😩💦😩💦 bros melee scene 🎮⚔️🏆🤝. They used the local community college 🏫🏘️👥 to host it and told me 📧 BY 📧 EMAIL 📧💻🗣️ IF I CAME 🏃🏫🎮 THEY WOULD NOT 🚫🙅‍♂️🚷 ALLOW 🎫✅ ME IN 🙍‍♂️🎮🚫. This came out of Nowhere 😕⁉️ so I immediately called 📞⏱️🆘 The TO who told me why 🤔💭. He said 🙋‍♂️💬 it was because I was frequently ☣️ TOXIC ⚠️ and ANGRY 😠🖕. He said that I yell 🤬🗣️ to other players ☹️🎮 and made them uncomfortable 😲😨😔 and scared 😠😱😢, and that a girl ♀️🙅‍♀️ quit 🚪🏃‍♀️ because of me 😡👦🎮. While I do sometimes get FRUSTRATED 😤💢👊🎮 and vocalize it 😠📣🗯️😵💧so do many other people 👉😡📣🗯️😩💦 I am simply being discriminated against 😏👉🚫😲 because my voice 😃💬 is naturally deeper 🗣️⬇️ than most ☺️☺️😃☺️. also the truth is 📃✅ a girl ♀️👧 never quit 🚫🚪🏃‍♀️ that is a complete 💯 lie 😀💬❎😱, she 👧 was just butthurt 🙍😡😤 that she was worse 👎❌ than everyone there 👥👥🏫. I'm so loving irate 😡🤬😤. I have been a member 🎫😁 of this community 👥👥🎮🥊💥 FOR YEARS 📆📅 and just now 🕒❔ I'm a nuisance 😕👶? I am entitled 😊💯 to a certain level 🎚️🆙 of RESPECT 🙇🙇‍♀️👌👍 for being a veteran player 📅😤🎮. I'm looking 🤨👀 into finding a lawyer 🤵⚖️ who'll get me unbanned 🏃🏫👍😁🎮. There MUST be a law 📝📃 that prevents ❎🙅‍♀️ people 👦👧 from arbitrarily 🤔🚫 banning others 😤✋🚫😢 from certain locations 🌍🌏📍 without written documents 📝❌🤷 proving it 📝✅✔️ (the TO just SAID 😉💬 I was banned 🥊💥⚔️🚫😭 he did not 🤷‍♂️🙅‍♂️🚫 provide any evidence 📃📰❓.) The TO 🤑👍 isn't rich 😔👎💵❌ or anything so I don't think 🤔💭🚫 I would have to ask 🗣️ a lot of him 😀👦, I'd think he'd just break 🙇😥 under pressure of lawsuit 🤵👨‍⚖️📝⚖️😓.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BioEnchanted posted:

That's a hilarious stereotype considering we get mostly free dental care (although the conservatives have a problem with that) and the US healthcare system has been turbofucked for 200 years.

I've lived in both countries and have no complains about the level of treatment I got from the NHS (my GP was a wonderful man who fought like a lion for his patients), but by American standards there's lots of screwed up teeth in Britain. In places it's like the land that braces forgot.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Garrand posted:

Iirc the shirt in question was a (handmade?) gift from a female friend so he thought it'd be neat to wear it to the interview, not thinking about the fact that having a shirt like that when you are currently acting as the public face of an organization or field that has a long history of complaints about sexism, misogyny and just being generally hostile to women isn't a good look.

The shirt was made with Alexander Henry designed fabric. That line has a bunch of pin up styles of females and males.

https://imgur.com/pq14bAA

Anime_Ladies.html
Dec 13, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I've lived in both countries and have no complains about the level of treatment I got from the NHS (my GP was a wonderful man who fought like a lion for his patients), but by American standards there's lots of screwed up teeth in Britain. In places it's like the land that braces forgot.

Then you dont' actually know what dental hygiene is

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I was BANNED 🔨😖🤦‍♂️ from my local super smash 🥊💥😩💦😩💦 bros melee scene 🎮⚔️🏆🤝. They used the local community college 🏫🏘️👥 to host it and told me 📧 BY 📧 EMAIL 📧💻🗣️ IF I CAME 🏃🏫🎮 THEY WOULD NOT 🚫🙅‍♂️🚷 ALLOW 🎫✅ ME IN 🙍‍♂️🎮🚫. This came out of Nowhere 😕⁉️ so I immediately called 📞⏱️🆘 The TO who told me why 🤔💭. He said 🙋‍♂️💬 it was because I was frequently ☣️ TOXIC ⚠️ and ANGRY 😠🖕. He said that I yell 🤬🗣️ to other players ☹️🎮 and made them uncomfortable 😲😨😔 and scared 😠😱😢, and that a girl ♀️🙅‍♀️ quit 🚪🏃‍♀️ because of me 😡👦🎮. While I do sometimes get FRUSTRATED 😤💢👊🎮 and vocalize it 😠📣🗯️😵💧so do many other people 👉😡📣🗯️😩💦 I am simply being discriminated against 😏👉🚫😲 because my voice 😃💬 is naturally deeper 🗣️⬇️ than most ☺️☺️😃☺️. also the truth is 📃✅ a girl ♀️👧 never quit 🚫🚪🏃‍♀️ that is a complete 💯 lie 😀💬❎😱, she 👧 was just butthurt 🙍😡😤 that she was worse 👎❌ than everyone there 👥👥🏫. I'm so loving irate 😡🤬😤. I have been a member 🎫😁 of this community 👥👥🎮🥊💥 FOR YEARS 📆📅 and just now 🕒❔ I'm a nuisance 😕👶? I am entitled 😊💯 to a certain level 🎚️🆙 of RESPECT 🙇🙇‍♀️👌👍 for being a veteran player 📅😤🎮. I'm looking 🤨👀 into finding a lawyer 🤵⚖️ who'll get me unbanned 🏃🏫👍😁🎮. There MUST be a law 📝📃 that prevents ❎🙅‍♀️ people 👦👧 from arbitrarily 🤔🚫 banning others 😤✋🚫😢 from certain locations 🌍🌏📍 without written documents 📝❌🤷 proving it 📝✅✔️ (the TO just SAID 😉💬 I was banned 🥊💥⚔️🚫😭 he did not 🤷‍♂️🙅‍♂️🚫 provide any evidence 📃📰❓.) The TO 🤑👍 isn't rich 😔👎💵❌ or anything so I don't think 🤔💭🚫 I would have to ask 🗣️ a lot of him 😀👦, I'd think he'd just break 🙇😥 under pressure of lawsuit 🤵👨‍⚖️📝⚖️😓.

Is there a way to read that without all the stupid loving emojis?

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
I was BANNED from my local super smash bros melee scene . They used the local community college to host it and told me BY EMAIL IF I CAME THEY WOULD NOT ALLOW ME IN . This came out of Nowhere ⁉️ so I immediately called The TO who told me why . He said it was because I was frequently TOXIC and ANGRY . He said that I yell to other players and made them uncomfortable and scared , and that a girl quit because of me . While I do sometimes get FRUSTRATED and vocalize it so do many other people I am simply being discriminated against because my voice is naturally deeper than most ☺️☺️☺️. also the truth is a girl never quit that is a complete lie , she was just butthurt that she was worse than everyone there . I'm so loving irate . I have been a member of this community FOR YEARS and just now I'm a nuisance ? I am entitled to a certain level of RESPECT for being a veteran player . I'm looking into finding a lawyer who'll get me unbanned . There MUST be a law that prevents people from arbitrarily banning others from certain locations without written documents proving it (the TO just SAID I was banned he did not provide any evidence .) The TO isn't rich or anything so I don't think I would have to ask a lot of him , I'd think he'd just break under pressure of lawsuit .

im so bored

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
There's a Chrome add-on someone posted up the thread that blocks emojis, you could probably google for it. Phoneposting or I'd find it, I have it on my PC and it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

I don't understand how the hell someone I graduated with (in 2009) can share this, without any irony.

Edit: I hosed up the screenshot, but it's from about living in the 50s.

What's with the bananas and oranges around Christmas time?