Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

It was a do nothing, then years later they fixed it. It also was never really the worst trap feat, just the most obvious.

And Pathfinder had the dev (SKR) that argued that wanting crossbows to be a viable option was like wanting water balloons to be viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Strike has a pretty keen Archer. Toss in a Mobility Boost Striker if you want to flip around.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

And MHR has Hawkeye(s) but those options feel like cheating.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

hyphz posted:

Strike has a pretty keen Archer. Toss in a Mobility Boost Striker if you want to flip around.

I think the Duellist is the best way to play an rear end in a top hat sniper. Spend the whole fight shooting a dudes weapon out of his hand and pinning his feet to the ground, like some kind of unseen trickster god.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I think the Duellist is the best way to play an rear end in a top hat sniper. Spend the whole fight shooting a dudes weapon out of his hand and pinning his feet to the ground, like some kind of unseen trickster god.

"Welcome to the arrow dimension. This is your home now. This is your grave."

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

4th editions Ranger was a pretty boss archer if I remember correctly.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

senrath posted:

It was a do nothing, then years later they fixed it. It also was never really the worst trap feat, just the most obvious.
Yeah, IIRC it allowed you to fire a crossbow while prone at only a -2 penalty...which was the same as the penalty for prone shooting a crossbow without that feat. So it literally did nothing, except eat up a feat slot.

It's also a nice example of the thinking behind so many poo poo feats - you get a tiny bonus that only comes into play on very unusual occasions.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

senrath posted:

And Pathfinder had the dev (SKR) that argued that wanting crossbows to be a viable option was like wanting water balloons to be viable.

I can never hear SKR be mentioned without thinking of that stupid point cost system for feats he came up with.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

remusclaw posted:

4th editions Ranger was a pretty boss archer if I remember correctly.

It was overshadowed by the ridiculousness you could get up to with a Twin Strike focused Ranger but yeah. You could also spec a Rogue into hand crossbows that worked pretty decently.

FMguru posted:

Yeah, IIRC it allowed you to fire a crossbow while prone at only a -2 penalty...which was the same as the penalty for prone shooting a crossbow without that feat. So it literally did nothing, except eat up a feat slot.

It's also a nice example of the thinking behind so many poo poo feats - you get a tiny bonus that only comes into play on very unusual occasions.

Not even "a tiny bonus," one of the shittiest things about 3.X era/style feats, which was one of the very first things I ever noticed when I first looked at 3E, is how so much of feat design is based around "oh you still take a penalty to do this thing, it's just a smaller penalty."

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Moriatti posted:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also I'm pretty sure at least one version of D&D had strength influence what kind of bows you could use and had bow damage scale with strength, whereas crossbows were purely driven by dexterity/accuracy. I think it was 2E AD&D.

Pathfinder has strength rated bows which may be what you are thinking of?

2e had explicit strength requirements for the meatier bows (the composite one was like 15 or something, so not just "you didn't dump this stat"), unless that's something they just added for the BG games

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Pretty sure that was added for BG. 2E didn't have strength requirements by default, but you could pay extra to get a composite bow that granted your strength bonus to damage. This applied to any strength bonus, so if your fighter slapped on a belt of storm giant strength or something he was shooting arrows that did 1d8+12 damage with sheaf arrows, before you took into account any bonus from the bow or the arrows.

Bows getting strength to damage by being specially crafted was also buried somewhere in the middle of a paragraph in the 1E DMG about something entirely unrelated, IIRC, because Gygax. Literally no one used it until they spelled it out in the PHB in 2E.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 27, 2017

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
From 2e:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Zerilan posted:

I can never hear SKR be mentioned without thinking of that stupid point cost system for feats he came up with.
I only partially remember that abomination, specifically that weapon focus was like 10 points because "well obviously it'll give the fight a +1 on all attacks!" but Maximize Spell was only 2-3 because "it has a built-in cost to use!"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Alertness cost more points than Spell focus is the most egregious one I remember.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

You'll all be eating crow when gronks sweep through RPGs as the hot new design.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

I only partially remember that abomination, specifically that weapon focus was like 10 points because "well obviously it'll give the fight a +1 on all attacks!" but Maximize Spell was only 2-3 because "it has a built-in cost to use!"

Pretty much every metamagic was really cheap. Toughness was as much or more than every metamagic feat I think.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

D20PFSRD posted:

Prone Shooter: If you have been prone since the end of your last turn, the penalty to your Armor Class against melee attacks made against you is reduced to –2. In addition, the bonus to your Armor Class against ranged attacks made against you is increased to +6.

"If you have been prone since the end of your last turn" means that you either voluntarily dropped prone, or had a turn in which you could have stood up but chose not to. And why would you do either if you get any penalty at all?

hyphz fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 28, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

hyphz posted:

"If you have been prone since the end of your last turn" means that you either voluntarily dropped prone, or had a turn in which you could have stood up but chose not to. And why would you do either if you get any penalty at all?

Also note how this feat has nothing to do with shooting while prone whatsoever.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yawgmoth posted:

Monte Cook had the germ of a good idea in one of the 3rd-party supplements he wrote where taking a martial feat included with it a thrice-per-day "boosted" version of the ability.

Like, taking Improved Trip meant that you had three trip attempts per day that just worked, or taking Whirlwind Attack meant that you had three whirlwind attacks per day that only took a standard action, or taking Improved Critical meant that you could double (again) your critical threat range three times per day.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's... Almost a good compromise.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

That Old Tree posted:

You'll all be eating crow when gronks sweep through RPGs as the hot new design.

As cool as stuffing nerds into lockers is,

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

As cool as stuffing nerds into lockers is,
Wrong leverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Zerilan posted:

Look, it was just a speculative experiment. :argh:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I wrote a thing and put it up for people to comment on, and people commented on it! :doom:

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
There are no penalties for firing while prone in PF - actually, it just stops you using missile weapons (except for crossbows/firearms) altogether. Supposedly Prone Shooter originally gave a small attack bonus while firing from prone, but the editor nerfed it to negate penalties without bothering to read the relevant rule.

The errataed version is still terrible, but since there's no attack penalty it does provide some benefit if you're in a ranged duel - at least until the opposing wizard fireballs you.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
so list of games with cool archers:

Strike
Exalted
D&D 4e

I do love MHR but there's really nothing unique about being an archer in that game than being any other kind of unpowered Complication-focused hero

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 28, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Legend of the Five Rings' Wasp clan of archers started out as "completely broken" (getting more attacks more quickly than any other school) and was later downgraded to just "pretty unfair".

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Legend of the Five Rings' Wasp clan of archers started out as "completely broken" (getting more attacks more quickly than any other school) and was later downgraded to just "pretty unfair".

poo poo I totally forgot about the Wasp. I love those guys. I think L5R may actually win the Best Arching award.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

It's hard to balance melee combat against ranged combat, because range is such a great force multiplier. It's absolutely spectacular.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, you also had some games like Exalted 2e where dedicated Athletics / Archery users could just kite melee fighters effortlessly and rain death from miles away.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Solar Archery is irrelevant in the face of the Sidereal power to shoot bales of hay at people out of their bow.

That said, my attempt to create a moderate challenge tonight for 4 Solars and 1 Dragon-Blood fell somewhat flat when the Dawn hit every enemy on the field with a decisive area attack at once, incapacitating one guy and dealing at least 4 lethal to everyone else.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rand Brittain posted:

Solar Archery is irrelevant in the face of the Sidereal power to shoot bales of hay at people out of their bow.

That said, my attempt to create a moderate challenge tonight for 4 Solars and 1 Dragon-Blood fell somewhat flat when the Dawn hit every enemy on the field with a decisive area attack at once, incapacitating one guy and dealing at least 4 lethal to everyone else.

:xcom: but "that's exalted"

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Blockhouse posted:

so list of games with cool archers:

Strike
Exalted
D&D 4e

I do love MHR but there's really nothing unique about being an archer in that game than being any other kind of unpowered Complication-focused hero

Godbound. Word of the Bow.

“That guy I don’t like in the next country over?” *fires bow in the air* “Yeah, he’s dead now.”

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, you also had some games like Exalted 2e where dedicated Athletics / Archery users could just kite melee fighters effortlessly and rain death from miles away.

3E has it that attacking from medium range or longer requires a turn-long aim action and makes you susceptible to getting rushed down..

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's my understanding that D&D 3.0 bowmen were fairly good because of the high number of attacks they could manage, but that this advantage was later nerfed by errata, 3.5 changes, and the problem of DR applying to every individual attack, which made single strong attacks much better than lots of small individual attacks.

D&D 5e bowmen, meanwhile, can access the Archery fighting style, which is one of the few sources of direct +to-hit, while also profiting from 5e allowing one to directly add their Dex modifier to attack rolls (which 3e did not allow you to do).

Finally, most versions of D&D have bow ranges measured in hundreds of feet, which would theoretically give them a huge advantage in killing monsters long before they ever got close enough to ever become a problem - this is usually counter-balanced by having adventures take place in dungeons, where the 300 foot range of a longbow is reduced to "the end of the corridor", but can still produce some odd logical conclusions when you combine it with 5e's Bounded Accuracy: a group of two dozen bowmen would have a decent shot at killing even adult dragons simply by plinking at it from max distance and hoping for nat 20s.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I remember that d20 Modern tried balancing ranged vs melee by giving the basic/advanced classes that were explicitly expected to be in close combat (like Strong Hero or Martial Artist) a full base attack bonus while every other combat class got a 3/4th BAB.

It didn't really do much other than just increase the amount of bitching on the WotC forums at the time.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
from now on I will only rank D&D editions by how sick their archers are

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Blockhouse posted:

I've rarely been failed by the Fighter Test: take any RPG book, open it to the part with the Fightymans class, and if it doesn't excite you, put it the gently caress down.

A corollary is the Magic Test: if the book has an entire chapter dedicated to spells, and not everybody has access to spells, that's another huge red flag.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Fantasy Craft's got pretty decent archer support, what with a decent base Fightyman class, good feat support (FC's got some pretty meaty feats in general, compared to 3.P), and the pretty decent 'Deadeye' Expert class bringing some long-range sniping shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

This putts 4e and 2e on top.
Where they should be.

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 28, 2017

• Locked thread