Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

G-Hawk posted:

i'm ready for bowl week

Me too. Other than the 1st two games on Sat, so far they've been super boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i will see you chumps

at the Music City Bowl

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
no

bad huskers

bad

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Just saw that Buechele is supposed to start for Texas tomorrow. Texas fans isn't Ehlinger clearly superior (although still not very good) or am I hallucinating that? Or at least clearly has the better upside and you might as well give him as many reps as possible?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

Just saw that Buechele is supposed to start for Texas tomorrow. Texas fans isn't Ehlinger clearly superior (although still not very good) or am I hallucinating that? Or at least clearly has the better upside and you might as well give him as many reps as possible?

The offense works best with him, but it relies on him running all the time. Limiting his playing time might be a risk reduction measure.

Buechele is actually the better passer.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

id prefer we just go with ehlinger at this point because he is gonna be the qb next year

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

G-Hawk posted:

id prefer we just go with ehlinger at this point because he is gonna be the qb next year

can y'all send one of them to dallas for the second half? kthanx

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

can y'all send one of them to dallas for the second half? kthanx

i've got $25 on the utes, so we'll send you jerrod heard

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

1. Hey now, let's not let awful t-shirts reflect the entire fanbase; also

2. That's not even the worst Frost shirt I've seen in the past month. The Scheels (central/western sporting goods store — think Dick's but 3X as big) in Lincoln had "IN FROST WE TRUST" shirts, which I thought was odd given that Scheels is christian AF

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

G-Hawk posted:

i've got $25 on the utes, so we'll send you jerrod heard

THAT WOULD STILL BE AN IMPROVEMENT HOLY poo poo

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

quote:

Asked Tuesday what he’s learned in his first season, Herman said, “That three straight losing seasons takes its toll on kids. It really does. It’s difficult for them, especially when you deal with adversity, it can be a here-we-go-again syndrome.

“That has been an ongoing challenge of reestablishing the right way of handling adversity, the right way to compete and right way to go about our daily business.”

Herman said the players want to compete, they want to be great, “but it’s been a challenge to reprogram a lot of these guys.”
Tom Herman: Charlie Strong left this team broken as gently caress

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

G-Hawk posted:

Tom Herman: Charlie Strong left this team broken as gently caress

tom herman's talking a lot of poo poo for a guy who basically did the bare minimum to make a bowl game with like four straight top 25 classes of talent

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

tom herman's talking a lot of poo poo for a guy who basically did the bare minimum to make a bowl game with like four straight top 25 classes of talent

they lost to kansas last year

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao if your special teams aren't just really inept fake punts all of the time

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i have a beef with the continued existence of tim beck, but herman isn't wrong that texas played like they were terrified of the football before this season. Their record wasn't great but they made some major improvements on the field this year. This speaks more to how much of a dumpster fire the charlie strong teams were than tom herman being a genius or anything. But progress is progress.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

G-Hawk posted:

i have a beef with the continued existence of tim beck, but herman isn't wrong that texas played like they were terrified of the football before this season. Their record wasn't great but they made some major improvements on the field this year. This speaks more to how much of a dumpster fire the charlie strong teams were than tom herman being a genius or anything. But progress is progress.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

PSU dismisses Manny Bowen and Irvin Charles for violating team rules

good job dumbasses

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
thought this was a funny series of headlines

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

boop the snoot posted:

thought this was a funny series of headlines

Yeah he is hosed his best bet was faking an injury in the bowl game and skipping the Browns doctors and combine.

Edit: I really came here to say I am terrible at picking these bowl games this year.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
I'm at a BBQ place for lunch and they had some country song on that appears to be about college football. He's just listing off the names of like every college football mascot?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Noooooles kicking off right now

Playing against Southern Miss

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Take THAT, punter!

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
This bowl is grim

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Lets gooooo noles offense

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

This is stupid and good

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

report to the gameday thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844680&pagenumber=2

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa won a bowl game played on a glorified skating rink with a full back dive in a game where they got outgained by like 200 yards. Kirk Ferentz's Mona Lisa.

Honestly a pretty cool win for the team. Snapped a five game bowl losing streak. Kirk tied Hayden Fry for the most wins in school history, Josh Jackson basically sealed the game and tied the single season INT record (it remains very dumb that he didn't win the Thorpe), and Wadley moved into second place on the school's all time TD list. It was ugly as hell but I expected that with the opponent and a third string left tackle.

I'm excited about next year. Stanley was really good for a true sophomore, most of the line comes back and should be way better, and they return two promising running backs and almost every pass catcher. Defensively they lose all 3 linebackers but bring back most of the secondary and what should be among the better dlines in the conference.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 28, 2017

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
Odom is trash and will probably not win more than 3 games next year

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Texas Football 2018 Status: Cautious Optimism

(can't wait for the preseason rank)

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Mizzou talked poo poo and got hit (by a load of deep pins by our punter) gonna miss you aussie

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

im starting to like tom herman's being a dickhead gimmick

edit: heres a longer version of texas and tom herman disrespecting the game

https://twitter.com/MizzouSports1/status/946253083989958656

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 28, 2017

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/946257384284082176

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWrimX_x1Ag

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

The sanctity of my unpaid gladiator sport has been compromised

Help us restore order donny T

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

This is really cool. It's a great send-off for Dickson, who single-handedly papered over a lot of offensive issues the whole season. I'm surprised he beat Devonte Davis, who forced a fumble and got a pick, but it was well-deserved.

G-Hawk posted:

Texas Football 2018 Status: Cautious Optimism

(can't wait for the preseason rank)

Offense still looked hopeless.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Offense still looked hopeless.

Yeah, they've got some growing to do. I think Ehlinger looks a lot better in 9 months. And we have some good young backfield talent. Worried about the o-line, but it can't get worse, honestly.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Pay Todd Orlando as much as it takes. The man is a wizard. Mizzou scored 50 basically on their last 6 sec opponents and they looked helpless against our defense tonight. A defense without its 3 best players in Malik, holton, and deshon elliot.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

buddhanc posted:

Pay Todd Orlando as much as it takes. The man is a wizard. Mizzou scored 50 basically on their last 6 sec opponents and they looked helpless against our defense tonight. A defense without its 3 best players in Malik, holton, and deshon elliot.

Dear god yes. Back up the Brinks truck. Buy him a house. Name him head-coach-in-waiting even though we just hired a super young guy. If there's a way to keep him, we need to figure it out.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

G-Hawk posted:

Yeah, they've got some growing to do. I think Ehlinger looks a lot better in 9 months. And we have some good young backfield talent. Worried about the o-line, but it can't get worse, honestly.

Insofar as Missouri has a strength on defense it's their DL, so even though your line isn't great it wasn't like they were going up against nothing.

Now why you didn't throw for 800 yards anyway against Missouri's secondary you'll have to answer on your own.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

buddhanc posted:

yeah, the most encouraging thing was that game made it look like the defense is the system and not the players. Combine that with the recruiting class they're having, and :fap:

^^^^I was referencing the O-line all season, tonight they were better than usual probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Apparently Baker Mayfield is ill and not doing extra stuff with he team for the next little bit

• Locked thread