Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I have not played in some time, stopped right as they were nerfing US DD smoke stealth firing. What are the big changes that I will need to be aware of? Trying to decide what to spend my "come back" gold and XP on... I have an Atago and Sharnhorst premium wise - is my Fletcher junk now?

Nelson or hood? Dunkurque any good?

cheese fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Visibility has only increased from 2km to ~2.9km when firing from smoke in a DD, dependent on type of DD. I don't know what Fletcher's is off hand, but it's not really an issue most of the time.

Nelson seems good.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The Nelson is situationally good. It has an incredible heal and OK AAA paired with accurate guns and good damage, HOWEVER- it does not reverse for poo poo, and turning out of any bad situation is basically not an option because the second you do you take battleship shells in your stupid side and then you roll over and die.

The Dunk is situationally stupid because its armor does not work at higher tiers, and its guns don't hit hard enough or accurately enough. It is entertaining but frustrating to play.

Of the three I'd pick the Hood despite not having played it due to the Hood being able to actually take damage and move without having to worry about someone spearing it in the side.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Because I am apparently prone to making awful financial decisions, I'm thinking of buying something. What's the best way to get maximum fun for minimum money? You may recall that I'm mostly a cruiser (particularly RN cruiser) player, though I've got a couple of DDs and BBs. I can't decide whether to just buy some Doubloons to get the Blyskawica (or however it's spelt), since I've heard good things about it, get 20 medium Santa boxes (my thinking is that even if I don't get botes, at least I'll get some nice quality of life stuff like premium time, consumables, etc.), or just buy another bote direct (but which one?).

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011
From what's available on NA, Scharnhorst is about the most fun for the money that you can get in this game, Leningrad is also worth the money and a better investment than the Blys if you'll need a Russian DD captain trainer. I personally really like the Atago but it takes some finesse and T8 MM sucks donkey balls at the moment as you more often than not find yourself in T10 games. If there's a specific ship you want then I'd get it instead of rolling the dice on boxes hoping to get it. Could also set a dollar value that you're comfortable spending and spend the amount left on boxes once you get your boat if you wanna mix and match.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I played a few Atago games before buying anything and I forgot how good it is. Reminds me of the Type 59 in World of Tanks - not amazing at anything, but solid at everything and too across the board strong to be a premium. I may get the Alabama anything but Atago is great.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Thundercakes posted:

From what's available on NA, Scharnhorst is about the most fun for the money that you can get in this game, Leningrad is also worth the money and a better investment than the Blys if you'll need a Russian DD captain trainer. I personally really like the Atago but it takes some finesse and T8 MM sucks donkey balls at the moment as you more often than not find yourself in T10 games. If there's a specific ship you want then I'd get it instead of rolling the dice on boxes hoping to get it. Could also set a dollar value that you're comfortable spending and spend the amount left on boxes once you get your boat if you wanna mix and match.

Thanks for the advice! I should note I'm a Britgoon playing on the NA server (since all my friends were on said server). I have no intention of going up the Russian line, I'm sticking mostly to UK and US cruisers, though I'm also going up the other UK lines as they're released. That aside, I have been looking at the Scharnhorst, and I'm open to DDs and BBs since it gets a bit dull going all cruisers all the time.

The premiums I already have are (most of which I got out of boxes from last year):

Atago
Giulio Caesar (Thanks, welcome back package!)
De Grasse (Ditto!)
Anshan
Sims
Emden
Kutuzov
Murmansk
Marblehead
Texas
Atlanta
Ishizuchi

As you can see, I am a genius at this. :shepspends:

Soup Inspector fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 27, 2017

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007
You cannot go wrong with Scharny. Or Belfast.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Herr Bazooka posted:

You cannot go wrong with Scharny. Or Belfast.

Belfast is definitely the 'hard mode' choice, while the Schotgun is more forgiving so long as you always angle into incoming fire.

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007
Is Belfast really hard mode? Radar in tier 7, concealment module in tier 7. Yes you are a shell magnet but played properly you are never seen.

Thing that impossible to argue though is that Scharnhorst is much more fun to play.

Herr Bazooka fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 28, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Wait a goddamned minute - where the gently caress did my 'free' 150k free xp go? I had it before, but now I'm down to 73k. I didn't do anything except buy modules and spend doubloons to reallocate a captain's existing skill points - I didn't add any on.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 28, 2017

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011
I used the Alabama for my first 2 ranked games then decided to switch to the Kidd thanks to lovely DD play in the second game, and now it almost feels like I'm cheating. I've played 8 games with it, lost only 1 and far and away saved my star in that one game. I can absolutely dominate any other DD that isn't a Kidd and it makes such a huge difference to the outcome of the game.

e: most recent game, over in 6 minutes

Thundercakes fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 28, 2017

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Herr Bazooka posted:

Is Belfast really hard mode? Radar in tier 7, concealment module in tier 7. Yes you are a shell magnet but played properly you are never seen.

Thing that impossible to argue though is that Scharnhorst is much more fun to play.

Its still a cruiser though, and there is always the chance of catching a citadel from a direction you weren't expecting.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

Its still a cruiser though, and there is always the chance of catching a citadel from a direction you weren't expecting.

Or a battleship just getting lucky and landing multiple citadels with a blind shot into the smoke - which I have had happen.

But in general I'd agree that Belfast is a much more technical ship, in that it has a bunch of tools but they need to be used well. It also has clear weaknesses that can be exploited by competent players - the lack of torpedoes really is killer if you get separated from support. Conversely, Scharnhorst is an incredibly forgiving ship to play, with you being able to generally do whatever you want, within reason, without any exceptional danger.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Velius posted:

I need to play more cruisers. Should I get stupid paper Soviet cruisers, stupid paper French cruisers or actual stupid American cruisers? Already have Zao and Hindenburg, and Edinburgh, so not eager to get to Minotaur since I don’t really like the smoke gameplay.

U.S. cruisers, my dude.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The problem with American cruisers is that while they're very good, most of them don't go particularly fast and they're huge targets with squish armor so they're very unforgiving. Sometimes you won't make any mistakes and oops you got plane spotted oops you're citadel'd from 20 KMs away oops time to go play another match

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

US cruisers also don't get the "Oh yeah? Well gently caress you too buddy :argh:" torpedoes to satiate the bitterness that all the other nations get

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That's fine though because you get to Des Moines and then someone shows what they think is enough angling and you smash 15k+ volleys through them every 5 seconds and they die before being able to escape

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I have never touched USN Cruisers but from my time shooting at tons of ships of various types and sizes, USN cruisers seem to the most prone to eat the most bullshit.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I would say that the New Orleans and, to a lesser extent, the Cola, are good little companions to have in your platoon. I would also say that if they're alone, they require more skill to play well than their counterparts. You have to know where you should be, you have to know when not to fire, and you have to be able to consistently land citadels to make the most of that juicy AP.

And then sometimes you get Tears or some other bullshit map and welp pack it in you're hosed

They are very rewarding when played well, though. My last game in the New Orleans was won not by damage, but because I spit on the enemy's Missouri and baited him into chasing me around the outside edge of an island. By hugging the island, I kept out of his gun angles, put him where he couldn't shoot my team, and knocked down an enemy CA I caught out of position.

Then he cleared the island and I died. Horribly. But so did his entire team.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Der Shovel posted:

I still have no loving earthly idea what the gently caress Wargaming were thinking by "fixing" US carriers. I made the mistake of jumping into a PVP game with my Independence. Their carrier was a Ryujo.

I had -- as is now the only option -- one squadron of each plane type. Their carrier had three fighter squadrons AND strike aircraft. And sadly he wasn't a complete idiot who sat his planes in place waiting for strafes so there wasn't much I could do about that game.

And apparently it's only going to get worse with the Ranger.

I kinda think "one side can just click on poo poo and win, the other has to try and land AOE attacks on fast moving targets to stand any chance of competing" is kinda hosed design philosophy.

E: Sorry, I just sound like a ranting lunatic here, but I really enjoyed carriers in lower tiers.

To be fair, in the lower tier US CVs you're the side that can just click poo poo and win.

Also carrier gameplay would be much more interesting if AA were player controlled, I don't know how wargaming thought they could make ship versus plane engagements interesting if AA is a dice roll.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Bought Fiji, so what.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Bought Fiji, so what.

:same:

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I would say that the New Orleans and, to a lesser extent, the Cola, are good little companions to have in your platoon. I would also say that if they're alone, they require more skill to play well than their counterparts. You have to know where you should be, you have to know when not to fire, and you have to be able to consistently land citadels to make the most of that juicy AP.

And then sometimes you get Tears or some other bullshit map and welp pack it in you're hosed

They are very rewarding when played well, though. My last game in the New Orleans was won not by damage, but because I spit on the enemy's Missouri and baited him into chasing me around the outside edge of an island. By hugging the island, I kept out of his gun angles, put him where he couldn't shoot my team, and knocked down an enemy CA I caught out of position.

Then he cleared the island and I died. Horribly. But so did his entire team.

The USN cruiser global taunt is reminiscent of the Teemo's permanent taunt in league of legends.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
So, Scharnhorst it is! Thanks, guys!

What captain skills and equipment should I deck it out with (bearing in mind that I'm not intending to go up the German ship lines whatsoever)? Are there any other fun ships or should I just plough the rest of my budget into gift boxes because gently caress it?

e:

And how should I play the Scharnhorst?

Soup Inspector fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 28, 2017

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Soup Inspector posted:

So, Scharnhorst it is! Thanks, guys!

What captain skills and equipment should I deck it out with (bearing in mind that I'm not intending to go up the German ship lines whatsoever)? Are there any other fun ships or should I just plough the rest of my budget into gift boxes because gently caress it?

e:

And how should I play the Scharnhorst?

Obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t-j1Kaeg4w

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Funnily enough I watched that vid as soon as I made my decision. I just wasn't sure how relevant it still is considering the changes that have been made since then.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Soup Inspector posted:

Funnily enough I watched that vid as soon as I made my decision. I just wasn't sure how relevant it still is considering the changes that have been made since then.

Fire Prevention is a much more attractive skill now due to Brit BBs. Scharn has a lot of superstructure that likes to catch HE shells.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
The Scharnhorst can kill any one ship it catches alone. It can also rip cruisers to pieces all day. The key is alone. You aren't as tanky as a Tirpitz so you have to be more choosy with your targets and make sure you're not drawing too much heat at once. Otherwise your armor stops working and you get punched into the sea.

Use your speed to find the best positions and pounce on vulnerable targets. You want to close in and brawl them to death with your torps and secondaries. Your rudder shift is pretty good for your size, but you're NOT cruiser levels of maneuverable, so be careful about getting in too close to things with torpedoes.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Just had my first game. Admittedly it's a small sample size to work with, but if this is any indicator then that was money well spent!

El Disco posted:

Fire Prevention is a much more attractive skill now due to Brit BBs. Scharn has a lot of superstructure that likes to catch HE shells.

Redeye Flight posted:

The Scharnhorst can kill any one ship it catches alone. It can also rip cruisers to pieces all day. The key is alone. You aren't as tanky as a Tirpitz so you have to be more choosy with your targets and make sure you're not drawing too much heat at once. Otherwise your armor stops working and you get punched into the sea.

Use your speed to find the best positions and pounce on vulnerable targets. You want to close in and brawl them to death with your torps and secondaries. Your rudder shift is pretty good for your size, but you're NOT cruiser levels of maneuverable, so be careful about getting in too close to things with torpedoes.

Thanks! So I should pick up the secondary mod 2 (and secondary skills) and damage control mod 2 over the rudder shift mod?

For my first skill I'm torn between Preventative Maintenance and Expert Loader. Which would be better (or am I a dumbass who should be picking something else?)? Or should I just follow the skill guide for what it recommends for KM BBs? :v:

Sorry for asking so many questions, I don't want to accidentally mess up my build.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I picked up the Scharn and it really feels like I'm sailing a bucket of oily rags.

Also, for you luck-havers, another 40 boxes because I'm loving dumb and have no impulse control and I got:

16x Papa Papa signals
8x Zulu Hotel signals
6x 300 dubloons
5x 10,000 Free XP
4x Zulu signals
1x De Grasse

:suicide:

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Bought Scharnhorst, so what.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

James Garfield posted:

To be fair, in the lower tier US CVs you're the side that can just click poo poo and win.

Sure, that's also not good.

E: but IMO it's also not as bad as the reverse situation at higher tiers.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 28, 2017

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Soup Inspector posted:

Just had my first game. Admittedly it's a small sample size to work with, but if this is any indicator then that was money well spent!

Thanks! So I should pick up the secondary mod 2 (and secondary skills) and damage control mod 2 over the rudder shift mod?

For my first skill I'm torn between Preventative Maintenance and Expert Loader. Which would be better (or am I a dumbass who should be picking something else?)? Or should I just follow the skill guide for what it recommends for KM BBs? :v:

Sorry for asking so many questions, I don't want to accidentally mess up my build.

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000010000010000001010100000119

This is how I would build a Scharnhorst. The thing to remember is that you are a cruiser killer. You have 9 x 283s guns that have German dispersion but good sigma so you aren't a sniper rifle but at around 12-13 kms you can reliably hunt citadels on broadside cruisers. Stay hidden and surprise people to get those kind of shots which is why we get concealment. If you are concealed, consider holding shots if all you see are battleships at long range and see if better targets like cruisers present themselves for deletion. Scharnhorst secondaries aren't amazing and with the nerfed fire chance, I wouldn't go for a secondary build. Expert loader is a good skill given that you have to flip between HE and AP vs other battleships. AP for good flat broadside, HE into the upper deck and super structure if angled.

I would get skills in this order.

1 Prev. Maintenance.
2 Adrenaline Rush (best skill in the game currently)
3 SuperIntendant (extra heal)
4 Concealment expert
5 Your choice of Manual AA or Fire Prevention. I lean on Fire Prevention since its always good and Scharnhorst AA isn't as good as Gneisenau AA.
6 Vigilance, spotting torps earlier means a chance to eat less of them and maybe even dodge the whole spread.
(Alternatively if you are Professor X, then spend the 3 points on I dunno Expert loader and Turret Traverse for the ability to rapidly switch ammo type AND lay your guns on new targets of opportunity even faster)
7 High Alert (a good overall choice and in combination with FP, will improve your survivability vs HE spam by a lot)

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
So I finally played my Missouri after a few weeks being too out of practice to attempt it. Sorry Drakenile, but at least we never faced each other so neither of us can claim to be the better Missouri :v:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Playing tonight was a mistake.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
https://i.imgur.com/Gw3erjK.gifv
:911:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

CitizenKain posted:

Playing tonight was a mistake.

Not empty quoting. At least I had some good games eventually.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Belfast is definitely the 'hard mode' choice, while the Schotgun is more forgiving so long as you always angle into incoming fire.

Belfast... hard mode...

Uhh, ok. Give me T7 ranked again and I'll hard mode all the way back up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
Really like the Lil Cesar such a fun ship. Handles well, guns are nice, the only problem is the tier 5 match making.

Looking forward to the Roma